Google Fiber speeds may be increased to 10gbps

TopWargamer

http://bgr.com/2014/02/13/google-fiber-speed-increase/

USA Today reports that Google CFO Patrick Pichette told the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference this week that Google is working on technology that will boost Fiber speeds up to 10Gbps, or around 10 times what they already deliver. In what reads like a veiled barb against other American ISPs, Pichette pointedly said that there was no reason to wait when it comes to deploying the fastest Internet technology available.

“That’s where the world is going, it’s going to happen,” Pichette told the Goldman conference. “Why wouldn’t we make it available in three years? That’s what we’re working on. There’s no need to wait.”

Google, stop making Google Fiber so awesome. (I kid, obviously.) But man, 10gbps Internet speeds!? That's insane, and I thought 1gbps was already fast!

EDIT: Here's what 10gbps speeds would be like when downloading a game from Steam.

Average US Internet speed (9.8mbps download) would equal a 1.23MB/s download rate in Steam.

(Source for this information: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/01/28/akamai-average-internet-speed-grew-29-year-year-3-6-mbps-mobile-traffic-jumped-80/#!vPfcI)

My personal Internet speed (85mbps download) would equal a 10.6MB/s download rate in Steam. (And I do achieve those speeds, in fact)

Current Google Fiber speeds (1,000mbps download, aka 1gbps) would equal a 125MB/s download rate in Steam.

Google's desired Fiber speed (10,000mbps download, aka 10gbps) would equal a 1,250MB/s download rate in Steam.

So with 10gbps speeds, you could essentially download a 30GB game in a matter of seconds. SECONDS.

COMIC SANS

1Gbps routers Google use are high end marvel based ones

i wonder what kind of socs  they will use for 10Gbps ... hmm

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

http://bgr.com/2014/02/13/google-fiber-speed-increase/

Google, stop making Google Fiber so awesome. (I kid, obviously.) But man, 10gbps Internet speeds!? That's insane, and I thought 1gbps was already fast!

why :( we need this kind of internet connection in the uk :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I can only dream of 10mb/s

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Someone could download hundreds of gigabytes of steam content in less than a hour! . . . Lose your hard drive (with steam, gog) games? Get all that up and downloading in less than an hour or two.

why :( we need this kind of internet connection in the uk :(

Definitely!  I would pay £100 a month for gigabit Google Fiber.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

fucking google! im sitting here with 300kb average down and 40kb average up. id take 0.01% of that connection and be totaly happy  :wacko: 

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Imagine a single person maxing out a datacenter server's upload speed. Holy crap.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Holy shit that is 1280 Megabyte per second. Fuck thats faster than my two 840 Pro's in Raid 0. Can download Battlefield 4 in  less than 25 Seconds. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Google fiber, please come to the other side of the world...

Signatures are stupid.

I want them to expand to a wider area rather than increasing speed ): 

We need Google Fibre in the UK (Don't have it I think) I'm still here stuck with my 3MB/s down

dude my internet sucks balls so bad >_< get outta my face talktalk you pile of poop

can't wait till bt fibre optics comes to China town OMD THE internet will be fast

can't decide but virgin talks a lot of crap about their speeds being 4x better. My opinion is that der ofcourse it is when your compare regular broadband to fibre optics

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

mother-of-god.gif

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If this is true and nothing happens for every-day internet users I'm gonna call obama and report him for bad manners

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You can get 10gbps if youre willing to pay for it.

i would for a day

i would for a day

Virgin media will do any speed leased lines that you want. Their 10gbps was £7k per month for under 45KM in 2012. 1gbps dedicated bandwidth is around £2k per month today.

dude my internet sucks balls so bad >_< get outta my face talktalk you pile of poop

can't wait till bt fibre optics comes to China town OMD THE internet will be fast

can't decide but virgin talks a lot of crap about their speeds being 4x better. My opinion is that der ofcourse it is when your compare regular broadband to fibre optics

TalkTalk is a pile of crap (I use them too). 

I don't care who provides the connection, I just want 30MB/s+ Fibre.

Let's do math! 

10 Gb/s is 1,250 MB/s or 1.25 GB/s. Assuming you have the storage space to handle that, of course (like Linus' 8 RAID 0 SSD config).

The "normal" internet is ~19 TB, but let's put it to 20TB for extra. 

It would take you 16,000 seconds, or 266.66... minutes, or 4.44.... hours to download the internet.

Less than 5 hours .... to download.... The Internet

The Internet.

Note that this obviously doesn't count media such as Youtube videos, or databases or anything. This is just the webpages that makeup the normal internet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

TalkTalk is a pile of crap (I use them too). 

I don't care who provides the connection, I just want 30MB/s+ Fibre.

moving to japan or america with dudewazap :D ..just realized he already lives in the US OF A nevermind japan it is :D