corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

About 65.6% of the nationwide confirmed association with group occurrence. Other cases of sporadic outbreaks or cases under investigation or classification are about 34.4%.

If anyone is interested in the South Korean clustering, here's the link.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a20501000000&bid=0015&act=view&list_no=366438&tag=&nPage=1

22 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Would you in his position say anything different?

A nation's army must be cable of defending.

Yeah, I understand that. During the pandemic in 1918, many countries hide the outbreak in the news, especially the death toll of the arm forces.

However, put a spin on the situation is one thing. Like saying,"The epidemic has minimum negative impact on our defend forces. The nation is fully capable of defending from any theat, blah ,blah."

Saying there is zero infection in the army is just blatant lie.

Another cruise ship is involved.

The new case involves an “older adult” who was likely exposed to the the virus while overseas on a Princess Cruise line ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico between February 11 and 22, according to a county press release.

Another coronavirus case in Sonoma County also reportedly originated from the same Grand Princess ship, according to The Press Democrat.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article240871226.html

A Sonoma County resident sick with the coronavirus at a local hospital had taken a Princess Cruises line from San Francisco to Mexico in February, the second ship owned by the cruise company linked to confirmed cases of the infectious disease.

The local resident had been aboard the Grand Princess ship that departed Feb. 11 from the Port of San Francisco and returned Feb. 21, county health department spokesman Rohish Lal confirmed Tuesday.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10779399-181/sonoma-county-coronavirus-patient-was

India

15 Italian tourists have tested positive for coronavirus; AIIMS has confirmed. More tests will be, however, conducted for confirmation. Twenty-one Italian tourists and three Indian tour operators, were on Tuesday sent to an ITBP quarantine facility in Delhi for suspected coronavirus exposure.

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Twelve of 30 firefighters and police officers in Kirkland who have been quarantined after potential or direct exposure to the COVID-19 virus at the city's LifeCare facility are now showing "flu-like" symptoms, according to city of Kirkland officials.

The 30 all had been quarantined after they had responded to calls at the LifeCare Facility in the days before and during an outbreak of COVID-19 that was discovered at the center. At least five patients connected to the center have died and more remain sickened.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/12-quarantined-kirkland-firefighters-showing-flu-like-symptoms

US Policies Will Drive Suspected Coronavirus Patients Underground, Fueling An Epidemic

There is no little irony that the administration’s policies, which they claim are to “protect” the country, will likely fuel an epidemic of coronavirus, or COVID19. There are several ways that is likely to happen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2020/03/03/us-policies-will-drive-suspected-coronavirus-patients-underground-fueling-an-epidemic/

mystery death in Seattle six days ago now identified as a Covid death

South Florida woman allegedly denied proper testing

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – In what may be the first case of coronavirus in South Florida, a woman who recently returned home from Italy says she was told by doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital that she “likely” has COVID-19, but that they are unable to verify it because state and federal officials refused to conduct the necessary tests to confirm it.

“The doctor himself told me that, you know, he thinks that the results of my [preliminary] tests mean that I most likely have the COVID-19, but that the Department of Health did not want to pursue it further,” said the woman, who requested that her name not be used to protect her privacy. “It was either the Department of Health or the CDC that decided not to further pursue the inquiry. But I was basically told that it is most likely that I have this virus and that I should self-quarantine.”

“Obviously, I would have liked to know if, in fact, I have this virus.”

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/03/02/coronavirus-confusion-miami-woman-allegedly-denied-proper-testing/

I bet there will be a hearing from US Congress how CDC and Trump administration manage this COVID-19 outbreak soon.

As usual, Trump will blame Obama, Hillary Clinton and Dem for the mishandling.

Active Monitoring of Persons Exposed to Patients with Confirmed

COVID-19 — United States, January–February 2020

symptomatic secondary attack rate of

• 0.45% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.12%–1.6%) among all close contacts,
  • 10.5% (95% CI = 2.9%–31.4%) among household members.

http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6909e1

*** Mark for Thread Clean ***

This time:

• Split off two threads which consisted healthy discussion, but were derailing this one.
  • Removed bunch of trolling, conspiracy etc. stuff.
  • Removed bunch of political discussion. POLITICS ARE NOT ALLOWED HERE!!!
  • As a results, there have been collateral removals of posts and content.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ah! Can we assume that the WHO has finally stopped covering for China??

Now... If we could analyze the data...

The global death rate of the new coronavirus is 3.4 percent, the W.H.O. says.

The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday that the global mortality rate for Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, was 3.4 percent.

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the organization’s director general, said in a news conference in Geneva that Covid-19 was deadlier than the seasonal flu, but did not transmit as easily. “Globally, about 3.4 percent of reported Covid-19 cases have died,” Dr. Tedros said. “By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1 percent of those infected.”

The estimate takes into account the growing number of infections being recorded outside China, mostly in Iran, Italy and South Korea. Dr. Margaret Harris, a W.H.O. spokeswoman, said the figure was a “crudely calculated” snapshot of the disease’s death rate globally, and is expected to “change over time, and vary from place to place.”

The announcement was the first time the organization confirmed a global mortality rate for the disease.

“While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, Covid-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity,” meaning more people can be infected and some will suffer severe illnesses, Dr. Tedros said. The coronavirus does not transmit as efficiently as the flu but “causes more severe disease,” he added.

When the outbreak was concentrated in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the new virus was first found, the W.H.O. said that the mortality rate of the disease had ranged from 0.7 percent outside of Wuhan to as high as 4 percent inside the city. The organization also said that the epidemic would affect different countries in different ways.

Data from the Chinese government shows that the mortality rate in that country is about 3.7 percent, with most deaths reported in the province of Hubei, which includes Wuhan.

Dr. Tedros added on Tuesday that it was still possible to contain the virus, but warned that “rising demand, hoarding and misuse” of medical supplies such as masks could compromise the world’s ability to fight the outbreak, and he recommended a 40 percent global increase in the production of such supplies.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storyline_menu#link-7305d548

And again with this "... that it was still possible to contain the virus ..." ! Really? Stop B***S**** us, for crying out loud! ?

Just now, Cora_Lie said:

Ah! Can we assume that the WHO has finally stopped covering for China??

Now... If we could analyze the data...

And again with this "... that it was still possible to contain the virus ..." ! Really? Stop B***S**** us, for crying out loud! ?

WHO has serious credibility problems.

18 hours ago, Xvaster said:

Also

I don't get how did they get the data of survival of those who contracted it

I mean if the population is aging, there is a good number of older individuals and a inferior numbers of younger individual 

So if the number of older individual is major to the younger one, it's more probable that the old ones will get sick 

Besides that the chinese datas, unfortunately cannot be trusted 

The fact is most of the deaths who also are the patients of this disease, usually dies because of the other chronic disease they've got. And most of them are the old.

Alright, you made me do it. I've compiled all my sources here into one post. Please, don't make me do this again.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Spotlight/Coronavirus/

The response of the U.S. Department of Defense to the outbreak.

https://www.voanews.com/traveling-heres-what-you-need-know-coronavirus-forces-restrictions-worldwide

Reported travel restrictions from the Voice of America.

https://www.voanews.com/science-health

News reported to the VOA from multiple sources.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/docs/notesanddefs.html#335

This library includes country population, population ratios, and health expenditures.

https://www.un.org/en/

The United Nations response to the outbreak.

https://www.dhs.gov/news

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security response to the outbreak.

Be aware that these websites update randomly and I don't have a set schedule for them. I do know that the CIA website updates every night for the factbook.

18 hours ago, Xvaster said:

Also

I don't get how did they get the data of survival of those who contracted it

I mean if the population is aging, there is a good number of older individuals and a inferior numbers of younger individual 

So if the number of older individual is major to the younger one, it's more probable that the old ones will get sick 

Besides that the chinese datas, unfortunately cannot be trusted 

Which I've given the opinion that I won't totally believe the data from my country which is given mostly by our government. And I still believe that the data only gives us the trend of the disease progress.

And which I want to share about you that the news from our social media and release the fact that the virus has been transilienced. Here are the progressing graphs about the roots of the translient.

According to the article provided by the media they think the L type is more Infectious and viraller than the original one.

716856238_.jpg.74f1089cece8f7f5367f8007ed339b28.jpg

An interesting article on Spanish Flu, censorship and wars in Le Monde of today. I copied/pasted the google translation:

The Spanish flu, a too well kept secret

Chronic

author

Pierre-Cyrille Hautcoeur

Director of studies at EHESS, Paris School of Economics

Between 1918 and 1919, this epidemic killed more than fifty million people worldwide. But the death toll was systematically masked by censorship, said the researcher.

Chronic. As in every flu epidemic, commentators on the Covid-19 epidemic worryingly refer to the Spanish flu epidemic, which in 1918-1919 killed over fifty million people worldwide . Long neglected by doctors and historians, it has only been studied in detail for the past thirty years. Reconstituting the epidemic is not easy, because if the virus responsible was recently identified on frozen corpses in permafrost, it is not possible to find the precise date of the mutation which is at its origin.

Having left Boston in September 1918, the epidemic toured the planet in four months and ended in December, before a brief resurgence in the summer of 1919. Its morbidity (the proportion of the population infected) was exceptional, exceeding commonly 20% of the population, with records at 80%. It does not affect as often infants and the elderly mainly, but also young adults 25 to 35 years. Its lethality (the proportion of deaths among patients) having the same distribution by age group, the specific mortality due to the disease often exceeds 3% in the groups most affected.

If publicly known, such rates could have created panic and disrupted the last military campaigns of the Great War. But the number of deaths is systematically masked by censorship (except in Spain, neutral, hence the name assigned to the disease which is not in any way originating from it). We can guess the ambiguous moral effect that would have produced the announcement that the long-awaited American troops were spreading a disease which killed 400,000 civilians in France and weakened the front of 100,000 Allied soldiers in the last two months of the war. The transfer of the epidemic to the rest of the world from Europe could also affect the reputation of the Europeans who were supposed to bring modern medicine to the colonies. Not or badly recorded at the time, the deaths are estimated at six million in India as in China, and no one knows how many Africans died. We only know that the excess mortality is higher the poorer the population…

Censorship increases uncertainty about the origins of the disease and prohibits the circulation of knowledge as therapeutic experiences. The flu is first attributed to a bacillus identified in 1892 by the German scientist Pfeiffer.

The uncertainty about the treatment is also great. Doctors use all the remedies available, cold baths or laxatives to aspirin, quinine, iodine and effective vaccines against other diseases. Public health measures are messy: fumigation, disinfection, closing of public places, distribution of soap, garbage collection.
All these measures are considered to be effective on an individual level, since most patients recover. The army, in particular, which prides itself on having defeated typhoid, dysentery and typhus, does not want these successes to be tarnished by this new disease, which it thinks will overcome with disinfectant, food and d healthy water, even blankets! In the aftermath of the war, political leaders became aware of the disaster and, without spreading the word too much, sought to create, with the Hygiene Organization of the League of Nations (ancestor of the World Health Organization), means of surveillance, information and international coordination that had been sorely lacking.

May politicians remember these lessons: poverty is the number one killer of victims of pandemics; organized observation, free information and the coordination of public interventions are their first protections.

Source: Le Monde 04/03/20 (link to Chronicle in french)

Amen to the conclusion but, obviously, politicians still in need to learn that lesson...

The situation inside my countries is that different social medias have different points of views of the situation right now. Some of them are over-positive, and some of them are over-negative. For personal, I am still concerned about the situation right now, not just about the disease progress but the situation of public opinions. The fact is I get good news from a piece of notification in the morning and I get the bad news from another social media in the afternoon. I know I cannot believe all of them, but what I am concerning about is that these websites and news messes up the citizens' confidence. And I am also wondering what is happening behind. I can't share this question in my country which I will lead both my family, my friends into a wrong way. I still think we should go forward without doubt.  And which makes me happy is that I can share my questions with you. What is happening now, due to this,I only care what the professinal doctors do and say. And I think the situation right now is going so strange mysterious and puzzeled. Am I over-concerned? Should we celebrate the good news or feel upset with bad news. My answer is clear, I will do neither. But I have no idea with my reason to do that.

34 minutes ago, Saberken said:

The situation inside my countries is that different social medias have different points of views of the situation right now. Some of them are over-positive, and some of them are over-negative. For personal, I am still concerned about the situation right now, not just about the disease progress but the situation of public opinions. The fact is I get good news from a piece of notification in the morning and I get the bad news from another social media in the afternoon. I know I cannot believe all of them, but what I am concerning about is that these websites and news messes up the citizens' confidence. And I am also wondering what is happening behind. I can't share this question in my country which I will lead both my family, my friends into a wrong way. I still think we should go forward without doubt.  And which makes me happy is that I can share my questions with you. What is happening now, due to this,I only care what the professinal doctors do and say. And I think the situation right now is going so strange mysterious and puzzeled. Am I over-concerned? Should we celebrate the good news or feel upset with bad news. My answer is clear, I will do neither. But I have no idea with my reason to do that.

It's the nature of human society. Different points of view, different opinions, propaganda and fake information. You have people who believe the earth is flat, vaccination is harmful in general, Jews wants to enslave mankind, one race is superior than the rest.....

Propaganda and misinformation exist as long as humankind does, and will continue so. There is no easy way to navigate but to choose wisely.

"Scientists in China says they have identified two types of coronavirus"

Scientists studying the novel coronavirus in China discovered two different varieties of the infection could be spreading around the world.

Researchers at Peking University School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai published a study on Tuesday, identifying a more aggressive type of the virus found in 70 percent of analyzed strains, with 30 percent belonging to a less aggressive variety, according to CNBC.

The study indicated that the more aggressive coronavirus primarily exists at the origin point of the virus in Wuhan, China. Researchers say the frequency of the more vigorous variety has diminished since early January.

The scientists in this study said the newly discovered variety of coronaviruses is most likely a mutation and maneuver of natural selection as the virus spreads and adapts. However, officials caution that the data in this study is still "very limited," according to the report.

"These findings strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)," the study said.

Context: I'm doing some handy-work in my new home where I'll move soon. ANd was look looking for a FP (Fine Particles) mask. And I saw this on Amazon:

Respirator_1.jpg.0c32823d9461cefeef586135cec2fa31.jpg

And this...

Respirator_2.jpg.c3bc84e0874da08347f06de31f329d96.jpg

I know it's to be expected, but such a greed...

And I checked, the content of both boxes is te same, with the same amount of filters, etc.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-04/los-angeles-county-declares-coronavirus-emergency-6-new-cases

“While most cases of COVID-19 exhibit mild or moderate symptoms, this tragic death underscores the urgent need for us to take extra steps to protect residents who are particularly vulnerable to developing more serious illness, including elderly persons

and those with underlying health conditions.

But certain criteria needs to be met by CDC guidelines in order to be tested here in the US. Showing certain symptoms what have you. Unlike South Korea who at this point have drive-thrus to test anyone who drives up. All I can guess is it’s because we have limited testing kits. It’s still upsetting after stumbling upon stories like this:

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

Context: I'm doing some handy-work in my new home where I'll move soon. ANd was look looking for a FP (Fine Particles) mask. And I saw this on Amazon:

Respirator_1.jpg.0c32823d9461cefeef586135cec2fa31.jpg

And this...

Respirator_2.jpg.c3bc84e0874da08347f06de31f329d96.jpg

I know it's to be expected, but such a greed...

And I checked, the content of both boxes is te same, with the same amount of filters, etc.

99.9 % of prices are automated.

Both are from different Amazon countries?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Both are from different Amazon countries?

same country different sellers (and the sellers are in the same country too