corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Same here also, price has gone through the roof and it's at the same height as the ISS. One thing I don't get is if experts says healthy people don't need a mask and most people aren't even using one, then where is the shortage of surgical mask coming from.

China, South Korea. There are more than a billion people in China alone. Everyone wears a mask when going outside.

8 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Well... Yes! In the US they don't have enough! They bought their supplies from China! And now China keeps the few they have for them!

I saw a "documentary" on US news (don't remember which channel) about an hospital showing one of their warehouses FULL of supplies (masks, suits, gloves, etc.) and they said it was for 2 weeks!  1 warehouse = 2 weeks worth of supplies...

And they didn't know what to do after that! They had no way to resupply them right now.

Yeah, pretty concerning they don't know what to do if they run out of masks, and actually i'm kinda surprised there isn't some kind of stockpile of supplies or any backup manufacturer of medical gloves or masks. It's unfortunate everyone relies on one source to make about everything, like it couldn't be the that difficult to make the masks or gloves in the US.

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well in Michigan you will get a dose of Lead. Flint is not the only city with issues. They started much more better testing and found higher lead levels in most tap water at least in the south east area (metro Detroit). 

I saw people in US hoarding bottled water.

Tap water here is pretty safe to drink. Although I always boil it first.

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Same here also, price has gone through the roof and it's at the same height as the ISS. One thing I don't get is if experts says healthy people don't need a mask and most people aren't even using one, then where is the shortage of surgical mask coming from.

I wouldn't give to much credit when something comes out from an expert from a media,

However most of them are talking about efficiency, since there is a mask shortage, it should be better to use them for medical workers or for the sick (thought, dunno there are different designs, if I'm not wrong the n95 should do a better job on filtering air, rather than containing if, but I'm not sure, I could say bullshits)

However seriously, they should checkup the acquirent, if there is a shortage, you need to make sure that there is not some scumbag, that is cleaning your city out of mask, for reselling them

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah, pretty concerning they don't know what to do if they run out of masks, and actually i'm kinda surprised there isn't some kind of stockpile of supplies or any backup manufacturer of medical gloves or masks. It's unfortunate everyone relies on one source to make about everything, like it couldn't be the that difficult to make the masks or gloves in the US.

Consider the big big surge of demand for mask and gloves. Just think how many masks China alone can consume everyday. It isn't like you press a button, a new production line will appear and make one million masks a day.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

We have one small company in France who manufactures them, (another news in France) and they said that they were working 24/7 and had to hire more people (but they had problems to find qualified people quickly as per regulations, etc, because steril, medical supplies, etc.) and they couldn't take all the orders as they just can't.

I'm sure there are some companies in the US like that too, but they are too small to answer all the immediate need right now.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Consider the big big surge of demand for mask and gloves. Just think how many masks China alone can consume everyday. Iti isn't like you press a button, a new production line will appear and make one million masks a day.

Yeah, sure, but if you have a problem of shortage, you need to manage it, rather than doing NOTHING 

1 minute ago, Xvaster said:

Yeah, sure, but if you have a problem of shortage, you need to manage it, rather than doing NOTHING 

How do you know they are doing "nothing"?

On 3/6/2020 at 1:07 AM, Cora_Lie said:

We have one small company in France who manufactures them, (another news in France) and they said that they were working 24/7 and had to hire more people (but they problem to find qualified people quickly as per regulations, etc, because steril, medical supplies, etc.) and they couldn't take all the orders as they just can't.

I'm sure there are some companies in the US like that too, but they are too small to answer all the immediate need right now.

In the US there are several companies, also pretty cheap (I was researching for masks overseas, but I notice that some of them, didn't ship to Italy..)

On 3/6/2020 at 1:10 AM, Cora_Lie said:

How do you know they are doing "nothing"?

You're right, but usually they announce any measure so.. Dunno 

2 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Yeah, so you see some countries start a ban of exporting masks, drugs.

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Consider the big big surge of demand for mask and gloves. Just think how many masks China alone can consume everyday. It isn't like you press a button, a new production line will appear and make one million masks a day.

I'm saying hospitals could've been better prepared with more supplies, and more factories for making masks and gloves, stores especially Amazon should've pulled sales and donated them to healthcare professionals. And there is too much reliance on China to make everything, other countries should've been prepared for an epidemic making their own supplies.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Yeah, so you see some countries start a ban of exporting masks, drugs.

I can understand the move.. But still is unfortunate 

Though it should be better increasing the production, and limiting the selling of it 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'm saying hospitals could've been better prepared with more supplies, and more factories for making masks and gloves, stores especially Amazon should've pulled sales and donated them to healthcare professionals. And there is too much reliance on China to make everything, other countries should've been prepared for an epidemic making their own supplies.

Amazon? Donating supplies? In the home country of wild capitalism? O_o

Hospitals? Better prepared? They already have 2 weeks worth of supplies? Can you imagine how much money that is worth? And how much money that costs to let it sit?

And in a world of globalization when you're mainly looking for the cheaper and the quicker, what would the hospital board say? Most hospitals being... private? Money money money!

I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways ?

21 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think many people and governments expect the epidemic will be contained like SARS and H1N1. Not until S. Korea and Italy have the outbreaks, people start to aware the potential of an pandemic. I don't think any governments have prepare epidemic of this magnitude. Sure they have stockpile extra vital drugs and supply. But the scale of this one is beyond normal.

Although I agree big retailers like Amazon should limit the sale of certain medical supplies. I've been looking to buy hand sanitizer for two weeks. The local drug store finally has them in stock today. Only two bottles per customer.

home made hand sanitizer

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I saw people in US hoarding bottled water.

Tap water here is pretty safe to drink. Although I always boil it first.

Outside of a few areas, US tap water is fine. At any rate it's better to drink tap water for a while than dehydrate, since all the goobers are buying all the bottled water.

Panic buying for stuff like this is extremely stupid, especially the people hoarding masks that are not very effective at protecting from this coronavirus. Surgeons/doctors and people that need the masks for work not being able to get them because of stupid people, is really ridiculous. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Outside of a few areas, US tap water is fine. At any rate it's better to drink tap water for a while than dehydrate, since all the goobers are buying all the bottled water.

Panic buying for stuff like this is extremely stupid, especially the people hoarding masks that are not very effective at protecting from this coronavirus. Surgeons/doctors and people that need the masks for work not being able to get them because of stupid people, is really ridiculous. 

Getting hand sanitizer is difficult enough. Finally get two bottles after two weeks searching everywhere. Now surgical mask is in such short supply. It used to be €20 a box for 50 pieces. Now it's €120 a box. No way I'll pay that much for face mask. I'll just use cotton bandana to cover my nose and mouth if I need something.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

Getting hand sanitizer is difficult enough. Finally get two bottles after two weeks searching everywhere. Now surgical mask is in such short supply. It used to be €20 a box for 50 pieces. Now it's €120 a box. No way I'll pay that much for face mask. I'll just use cotton bandana to cover my nose and mouth if I need something.

I ended up having a few bottles of hand sanitizer already because I keep one in my motorcycle storage top box. I bought a few more than I needed because there was a sale right before this coronavirus was all over the news. Pure dumb luck on my part.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but I heard the words “I’m not inviting my friend from Chula Vista did you hear what happened” and had to look it up. This isn’t exactly far from me. Panic buying sure to increase tenfold. Uh oh ? 

Chula Vista — 
An AT&T employee at the Chula Vista store is under quarantine for coronavirus, and the company closed six stores for cleaning as a precaution, company officials said. County health officials said they are not counting it as the first local case of Covid-19 because the individual lives in another county.

“This employee had returned from a personal international travel to one of the areas that the CDC classifies as a level 3 high risk region,” company spokesman Fletcher Cook said Thursday.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2020-03-05/coronavirus-att

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Our DollarTree has a stockpile of Hand Sanitizer and we bought some Hibiclens Antiseptic & Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser aka Surgical scrub soap.  This has chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG)* in it.  Which is recommended by American Surgeons and you can also use 

Dial®, Lever®, or Safeguard®

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR2k5UMk2zwPclhyOmPUUESXryx7L1TyXnlZY-j2K3qqssvpp0JXawcKZsePv1CXF81bLKqHbY&usqp=CAc

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

SO...

Hoo-Man and Covid-19 are chatting while having coffee:

H-M: "Ha! Since you've arrived, you've made it quite difficult for us!"

C-19: "Bah! You had it nice and cosy for too long! It was time for a hard ride on the roller-coaster ? "

H-M: "Ha! But just you wait! We have a nice one in store for you! Trump said only a few weeks away!"

C-19: "Oh? You mean the famous "vaccine" he is boasting around? He he he he! Already all ready for that!"

Hoo-Man looks at C-19 suspiciously

H-M: "What do you mean by that?"

C-19: "Do you really think that you are the only ones who are able to "be fruitful and multiply"? What a joke! Here! Meet my cousin SARS-cov-2-L!"

http://www.rfi.fr/en/international/20200305-coronavirus-has-mutated-two-strains-lab-study-shows

(Yes it has been already posted, but wanted to have it in a funny way... ? )

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2020/03/04/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggressive-disease-say-scientists/

And the newest and most "beautiful" part of the story:

Genetic analysis of a man in the United States who tested positive in January showed it is possible to be infected with both strains of the virus.

Oh yeah! And the twist:

The older ‘S-type’ appears to be milder and less infectious, while the ‘L-type’ which emerged later, spreads quickly and currently accounts for around 70 per cent of cases. 

and

two of the changes between the ‘S’ and ‘L’ lineages were in crucial protein called ‘spike’, which plays a key role in the infection process and is a target for vaccines.

Which means?

It means that they will have to develop 2 different vaccines!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by Guest
posted too quickly! Was missing some infos :-S

Can't wait for the movie.

Put Nic Cage in it pls.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti