corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

And now is the time for a sanity interlude in a world of crazyness!

?

And all together, let's dance!!!

Meh... still not scared...meanwhile my store was wiped out of hand sanitizer.

?

His background: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/marc-lipsitch/

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

99% of the people on this forum have nothing to worry about. The other 1%, just take the same precautions you usually do during flu season, and you should be fine. ...

This!

CDC numbers show 32 million Americans have caught the flu already this season...

And that's with ____ number of them having taken the vaccine.

So how many will/can follow the standard flu precautions.

32 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I wonder how well a military style gas mask would would?

If it can keep White Phosphorus and Sarin gas out, then surely it can keep out Coronovirus.

Age, condition, fit.

Most fail on the fit.

Glasses? You need the arms that fit under the seal. Mine are old; should get newer, but don't need it.

And wearing such is not comfortable. Will you keep wearing it.

And you don't need to protect against gas, but droplets. Stay one metre away.

Read up on the recommended prevention measures. Check your countries recomendation, and that of the CDC.

Don't touch your mouth, nose, eyes.

Wash your hands!!!

7 minutes ago, Canoe said:

This!

CDC numbers show 32 million Americans have caught the flu already this season...

And that's with ____ number of them having taken the vaccine.

So how many will/can follow the standard flu precautions.

3 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Don't touch your mouth, nose, eyes.

Wash your hands!!!

I propose A FlashMob!!

Let's all dance together  to fight the Coronavirus!

Plus it's good for the daily cardio! ?

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

I propose A FlashMob!!

Let's all dance together  to fight the Coronavirus!

Plus it's good for the daily cardio! ?

Evil twin go away. Get Cora_Lie back on.

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

Evil twin go away. Get Cora_Lie back on.

Gniark! Gniark! Gniark!

Ok... Then... If people don't want to dance they can still SING!!!  Very gould for the heart too! ?

30 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

The danger comes from when there so many cases that hospitals cannot handle more patients anymore, that is when the amount of death's go up, so that you have nothing to worry about is BS, we are all potentially in danger especially older people and sick people, they just closed a third hospital in Netherlands a corona patient was in hospital since friday and has been diagnosed 2 hours ago in the intensive care.

This is why its so important to test everyone, not just those that been on vacation in italy or china etc

And even if I get the virus, I’m young and healthy enough, but I have a lot of elderly customers. Some with underlying conditions I could tell. It’d be my public duty to self-isolate to not infect others. Even then I could be asymptomatic and it’s been apparent that the virus can still spread at that stage. That’s the scary part. It’s what happened in Washington State most likely.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

14 hours ago, Canoe said:

在公共卫生领域开始出现的一件事是,有必要向公众提供真实的信息,否则公众将不相信任何事情,公众将停止与政府正在采取或要求采取的措施进行合作。

I am pretty sure it is necessary in foreign countries. Which makes me happy is the guys who dicusses are very sensitive and full of logic. Which I am suffering in CN, that some of the people ban different ideas from different people.

16 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

... It’d be my public duty to self-isolate to not infect others. Even then I could be asymptomatic and it’s been apparent that the virus can still spread at that stage. That’s the scary part. It’s what happened in Washington State most likely.

So far best known: during the asymptomatic incubation period, virus shredding starts occurring, and at some point you would become contagious.

No need to self-isolate. Consult the CDC site on proper prevention.

• Last I saw, you'd need to wear a surgical mask so you weren't expelling droplets while you talked.
    • Preferably the same for your clients, but they may not take to that and you may not be able to obtain enough masks for all your clients. Alternately, you'd have to treat your clothes that their expelled droplets may have fallen on. Again, consult the CDC site on how to safely remove and wash clothes you believe may be contaminated.
    • This isn't Ebola. It's like the flu, only a greater likelihood of severe consequences.
  • Wash your hands before & after each client.
  • Also between clients, clean surfaces you and your clients are touching, even if no one touched them, as they may have been expelling droplets on such surfaces and they will remain viable for a time, with some documentation suggesting up to nine days.
  • Bleach and other disinfectants can be hard on the lungs, or the nose. Check up on hydrogen peroxide based disinfectants.
    • Concentration Matters: do not guess.
      • Either it won't work, or you could be doing harm.
    • The last time I saw application instructions for such (at an institution that included a day care), the cleaner was applying it nightly to all "touch" surfaces (door knobs, counters, hand rails, floors kids played on, etc.), such that they were wet for ten minutes, to allow for enough time for its action to occur. I checked up on him a few times, and boy was he diligent at being completely thorough.
  • Remember that once you've worn a mask (and clean your hands before putting it on), you have to consider the mask contaminated.

20 hours ago, Deli said:

回顾1918年的西班牙流感。第一波浪潮在夏天灭绝后。病毒在秋季的第二波和第三波中突变并变得更加致命。不要指望夏天来拯救我们的屁股。

You are right, so the reaction of humanity is necessary too.

Hey guys, I am happy to express myself there. My English is still not very good. And some of the ideas from me might be totally wrong. Which I need you guys to point out for me, I will be very happy IF YOU DO THIS.

In my opinion, it cannot be common to provide every people or families with the highest protection in my country. The population is too large and the cost of the medical protection will be very high.

Let me tell you some actions we may take in our country and which can provide you a very BASIC example for necessary protect.

1. No wild food. Before the disease come, eating the wild is still legal in China. Due to some Ethnic minorities(Some of the people with their own culture and traditions)'s traditions, it actually was hard to deal whether ban this or not in law. According some reliable papers and scientific results, the virus mainly comes from the wild animal and the foundation of the virus in the animal chain is the specie of bats. And the birthplace of the patient comes from a market called HuaNan Seafood Market. In Chinease called ' 华南海鲜市场 ’.

2. 75 degree alcohol is necessary. After some medical experiment, the result which proved the fact that 75 degree alcohol can kill the virus with efficency.

3. Medical mask are not ashamed. The news from one of my social media made me laugh that one Italian member of a legislative assembly was laughed because he wore a mask. The point I laugh because you have no idea what fun we have with mask in China. Actually the factory cannot produce as much as masks that the people want. It doesn't mean that I suggest you to have more masks backup but not to ignore the importance of the basic protection with just a little piece of simple equipment. Of course, the protection from a medical suit is better than just a mask. But we choose masks more often because the low price and the easy-produce.

4. Stay at home, when you do not have masks or suits, and the disease burst. Actually due to the specific of the virus, I suggest you to stay at home right now. I can provide you a video that shows if the schooling is available right now, how long will the whole school get sick?https://www.bilibili.com/video/av91399996?from=search&seid=2321069365595579754.From the video, we can see that the Hysteresis of the reaction from the body to the virus, it may be a very huge disease after about 2 weeks from now.(I guess)

5. Have gloves. It may be a little bit weird in public by wearing gloves. In my opinion, it is not necessary to have a medical one. Virus dies in usual after staying out of the human for along time. Which is known in common. But some results shows that the buttons of a lift and handles of the restrooms carries the virus because the high flowrate of the users. Seems this, I think the opinion'It will be definitely safe if there is no people.' cannot stand. It needs time if the virus come out of the body to die and it only needs one second to come into your body and make you sick.

Tips:I do DISAGREE to use degrees higher than 75 because it may be a fire accident because the high concentration of the alcohol. And I do not think the numbers of the actual patient will be decrease that kind of easy through SCIENCE although the numbers that the government provide shows the sharp decrease of them. 

#The release of the video has been permitted by the editor. Editor:九磅十伍便士 Website:BILIBILI. Engine:Unity Code:https://github.com/YunxiuXu/Virus-School#

#The artical may be edited for several times because of the poor English from the editor.#

Edited by Saberken

Alcohol kills the virus eh? Well then my time in the military is not wasted! Pretty sure my blood ABV is above 75%

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

10 hours ago, Eschew said:

I'm a laundry machine. Am I invited?

No. Any dogs you have can join though.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Because people were claiming the law of math (as it applies to encryption) prevents them from helping (when that isn't the case).   Many companies can assist in uncovering evidence from cloud storage and devices without putting in a backdoor.  Hence the sentence "the law of math is commendable".  He is saying,  yes, math is unchangeable, but our laws are not.

There was a huge discussion about why the law was needed and how it was implemented.  

thats not what i interpret the meaning of commendable. ive never heard it use to mean unchangable. if i say the law of mathematics are nice but Australian laws are more powerful than them what do you interpret that as meaning?

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

thats not what i interpret the meaning of commendable. ive never heard it use to mean unchangable

Why are you guys talking about the decryption and law in this topic? Am I missing something here?

2 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Why are you guys talking about the decryption and law in this topic? Am I missing something here?

someone said something about an satire of an australian pm's response saying that it doesnt matter if everyone in australia dies and that reminded me of another response from an australian pm that was serious suggesting that the laws of australia will override the laws of mathematics at least that how i interpret it.

https://time.com/5793363/china-coronavirus-covid19-abandoned-pets-wuhan/

Fears about animals have not been helped by the fact that the pet dog of an COVID-19 patient in Hong Kong tested “weakly positive” for the virus. Officials doubt that the Pomeranian, which has been placed in quarantine, is actually infected but instead picked up traces of the bug via environmental proximity, just like a door handle or TV remote control.

Sadly, misguided interpretations of news stories can be seized upon by a mistrustful and fearful public. There has already been a spate of owners hurling pets to their deaths from high balconies, linked to a interview with a leading doctor on China Central Television, who said that said pets of suspected patients “should be quarantined.” 

give the cats to me ;-;

My state just got 2 cases confirmed and the governor is going to speak about it within a few hours.  

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Contributors so far today...

South Korea 851 5186   Algeria 2 5
  Iran 835 2336   Australia 9 39
  China 151 80302   Austria 3 21
  Spain 33 153   Belgium 5 13
  Germany 29 188   China 151 80302
  France 13 204   Croatia 2 9
  UK 11 51   Czech Republic 2 5
  Australia 9 39   Denmark 2 6
  Malaysia 7 36   Ecuador 1 7
  Norway 7 32   France 13 204
  Netherlands 6 24   Germany 29 188
  Sweden 6 21   Iceland 5 11
  US 6 107   Iran 835 2336
  Belgium 5 13   Israel 2 12
  Iceland 5 11 New Jordan 1 1
  Switzerland 5 47   Malaysia 7 36
  Qatar 4 7   Netherlands 6 24
  Austria 3 21   Norway 7 32
  Algeria 2 5   Others 1 706
  Croatia 2 9   Pakistan 1 5
  Czech Republic 2 5   Qatar 4 7
  Denmark 2 6   Singapore 2 110
  Israel 2 12   South Korea 851 5186
  Singapore 2 110   Spain 33 153
  Ecuador 1 7   Sweden 6 21
New Jordan 1 1   Switzerland 5 47
  Diamond Princess 1 706   Taiwan 1 42
  Pakistan 1 5 New Tunisia 1 1
  Taiwan 1 42   UK 11 51
New Tunisia 1 1 New Ukraine 1 1
New Ukraine 1 1   US 6 107
  31 2005     31 2005  

Confirmed external to mainland China is up to at least 12,147

1922061860_Covid-19TOPplusDP2020-03-03latemorning.thumb.png.adf2b283312fac4ee2c84ed64045b1c4.png

Edited by Canoe
Aus numbers corrected

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/kemp-expected-address-coronavirus-late-night-press-conference/VqbHGt7Z0p8U9KTx6bClJM/

https://www.foxnews.com/health/georgia-confirms-first-2-coronavirus-cases

Published 3 hours ago

Georgia confirms first 2 coronavirus cases

Health officials in Georgia on Monday confirmed the state’s first two cases of the novel coronavirus, adding to a seemingly growing list of cases in the U.S., which has now seen at least six deaths from the virus.

In a news release on Monday, the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) said the two cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Fulton County and involved two people who live in the same household. One of the two had recently returned from Italy, which has experienced a surge of cases in recent weeks.

WASHINGTON STATE SAYS CORONAVIRUS DEATH TOLL RISES TO 6 

“Both have mild symptoms; they are isolated at home with other relatives to keep the illness from spreading,” the release reads.

The Georgia DPH is now working to identify anyone who may have been exposed to the virus while the two were infectious. (It’s worth noting that scientists think people who are asymptomatic can spread the virus, though how often this occurs is currently unclear.)

WASHING HANDS KEY IN STOPPING CORONAVIRUS SPREAD: ARE YOU DOING IT CORRECTLY? 

“People who are identified as having been exposed will be contacted directly by a DPH epidemiologist and monitored for fever and respiratory symptoms,” health officials said.

“Our team has been working around the clock to prepare for any scenario. Already, state health officials have established contact with these individuals to gather more information, monitor their condition, and determine any exposure,” Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a statement.

ILLINOIS SEES 4TH CORONAVIRUS CASE IN WOMAN IN HER 70S 

In response to the cases, health officials reminded residents of best practices for staying healthy — which includes proper hand-washing. You can read more about washing your hands correctly here. Other ways to protect yourself can be found here.

The news comes after Illinois confirmed its fourth case of the novel virus on Monday, the wife of the state’s third case. To date, the U.S. has reported six virus-related deaths, all of which have occurred in Washington State. Overall, more than 80 cases of the virus have been reported in the country. Worldwide, more than 91,000 people have been sickened, while more than 3,000 have died, according to Tuesday estimates.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Italy reported again

Conferenza stampa del Capo della protezione civile Angelo Borrelli alle ore 18 del 3 marzo:

• 2263 le persone che hanno contratto il virus, 79  deceduti e 160 guariti.

Tra i 2263positivi:

• 1000 si trovano in isolamento domiciliare 
  • 1034 ricoverati con sintomi
  • 229 in terapia intensiva

With some others, External to mainland China is up to 12,407.

midday EST interim

The hotspots speak for themselves, but I think the one to watch is the rest of the world, Balance External (grey).

65092914_Covid-19TOP4DP2020-03-03midday.thumb.png.e24644296af98d759b6a8304ff392a05.png

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

Confirmed external to mainland China is up to at least 12,147

1922061860_Covid-19TOPplusDP2020-03-03latemorning.thumb.png.adf2b283312fac4ee2c84ed64045b1c4.png

I can't really put too much stock into these numbers when South Korea's is likely high only due to the free tests given while Japan seems to not want to test anyone for fear of the Olympics getting cancelled.