I was WRONG about the iPhone 11 Pro Camera...

nicklmg

I just don't think I'll ever get over the fake post processing bluring phones have to add to images to make it seem like you spent more than a few cents on the camera lens.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

I just don't think I'll ever get over the fake post processing bluring phones have to add to images to make it seem like you spent more than a few cents on the camera lens.

Phones have natural depth of fields. They just aren't very intense unless your subject is inches from the camera. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I shouldn't have watched this video...the only reason I want to upgrade my 3+ year old phone is for the camera, and I've had my eye on a P30p as the prices drop :/ 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Damn, didn't beat the "How much is X paying?" conspirators.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 minutes in I'm not sure what Linus was looking at but the iPhone images wanted me to run to a toilet to barf in. However it looks like it's the fault of a person more than the camera.

18 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

I shouldn't have watched this video...the only reason I want to upgrade my 3+ year old phone is for the camera, and I've had my eye on a P30p as the prices drop :/ 

Camera last, everything else first. Like Apple? Buy Apple. Like Android? Buy a droid. Reality is the camera in phones are 50% hype 25% computer processing, and 25% glass.

So if you can pick up a P30 for a cheaper price and you like it better than apple do so and buy a pocket-able camera like this one for times where picture quality matters: https://www.amazon.ca/Canon-PowerShot-Purple-Optical-Built/dp/B019UDI3JC

It's similar to the one I took to Montreal in September, 1080 is the only real video recording anyone really needs for personal use and 20mp in a sensor a little bigger than the iphone, plus you can still use your phone and be in the picture to take the picture.

Realistically just find a phone that works for you less the camera and the camera will likely work for you. That said most phones can't get colors right for faces anyways, they are too much of a all in one, the ones that do are over priced.

28 minutes ago, Caroline said:

How much is Apple paying?

Honestly, why ask this?

I'd like to see pictures of the rig that was used to get all phones working at the same time :) 

Also who's that girl that was used as model in those pictures? ?

At the 4 minute mark I thought "wow, the pixel 4 looks SO much better than the rest!" and then linus comes in saying it looks the worst.

The pixel 4 honestly looked light years ahead of all the other photos in the lineup imo.

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

While I'm no YouTuber nor phone reviewer with 100's of phones at my disposal, I can indeed say my two bits as someone who's been a hobbyist photographer for the better part of 10 years. The Pixel 4 does a much better job in all the portrait shots shown in the video, hands down, no comparison. The purpose of portrait photography isn't to provide a wide dynamic range across the entire image - it's to focus on your subject(s), ensuring their features are in focus, crispy sharp, and true-to-life in the color department.

I won't speculate on the night lighting, landscape, or city street photos, as many of these shots could be captured properly with the right adjustments done prior to shooting - in other words, there's just far too much variation for any single camera phone to be a clear winner. This is where my years of photography has taught me that it's really not about having the best camera (because there isn't one) - it's about knowing how to properly adjust & tweak the camera you have with you in order to achieve your desired results.

The iPhone 11 shots below (with or without Deep Fusion) and the Note 10 are all super faded / washed out, and quite frankly, look terrible in comparison to the Pixel 4's shot. The Mate 30's image is a bit dark, but can absolutely be saved with some slight tweaks in Lightroom, Affinity Photo, or Skylum Luminar. If one were wanting to share without any editing (or with minimal Instagram editing) I'd hands down pick the Pixel 4, as I know that even Instagram's basic filtering would be enough. Winner: Pixel 4.

image.thumb.png.15901e3dd22f3b7692958e4dbc3ade30.png

In the below show, the iPhone has indeed done a bit better job with the green foliage in the background compared to the Pixel 4, however, this has come at a detriment to the rest of the photo, as there's now a green color cast across her skintone, jacket, and hair. Given the choice between editing each photo, I'd choose the Pixel 4's shot, as the skintones, jacket, & hair are far more natural looking, leaving only the foliage needing a bit of tweaking, if so desired. Winner: Pixel 4.

image.thumb.png.d7ab310bb1ef871fca12ec4f07ec6958.png

These shots were more difficult to discern the differences between, aside from the obvious color, shadow, and highlight changes, but once again I am seeing an unnatural green colorcast on the iPhone 11 Deep Fusion shot that straight up would prevent me from sharing it with even friends or family until corrected. The Pixel 4 and Mate 30 again are doing the best job at capturing detail here, albeit at what appears to be differing exposures, making it impossible for me to state a single winner. Winner: Pixel 4 or Mate 30.

image.thumb.png.527237d82bb39323c3d78676841d339e.png

Anywho, regardless of which phone camera is seen as best, they're ALL manufactured by Sony, so we know who the real winner is here. ;) PS: Sony, your Electronics Products and Solutions department is doing good work; keep it up.

4 hours ago, emosun said:

Like @emosun, I'm between a rock and a hard place, because while I long for a camera whose Automagic mode literally "just works" without requiring me to adjust anything, period, I have yet to find any phone camera whose post-processing doesn't leave me feeling like I could've spend $1500 CAD on whatever current generation RX100 Sony currently has available, shot photos in real/true RAW mode using a better image sensor and real optical glass, then tweaked them to fit my requirements.

I'd love to see the Brandon Lee do a proper phone camera comparison, setting up both studio & on-location shots, and covering everything from which phone has the best Automagic mode to which phones actually let the user capture true, unaltered RAW photos for later processing. I'd also like to see an on-screen overlay of all settings used to capture each image, along with all relevant EXIF metadata showing the ISO, aperture, exposure, metering mode, and more that was used when capturing the image.

To be honest, I'm really just wishing for LTT's camera reviews to contain the same thoroughness of these channels, since they're what I use (in conjunction with the amazing folks over at dpreview.com) when looking to make a purchasing decision on any cameras. Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge: Maarten is based out of Toronto, making a collaboration with Brandon very, very doable, at least from a logistics standpoint.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Since you have so many side by side images it might be interesting to put up a survey where you strip identifying information on which camera was used from the images and ask people to rate them blind on a scale of 1-10, then do some analysis to see which phone actually comes out on top / in what scenarios from your followers :),

I feel like a lot of it can come down to personal taste (as you point out) so it might be interesting to see what people in the community tend to prefer in the different scenarios you present.

Edit: Otherwise, a simple blind ranking of the side by side images might work as well. Presenting them all and asking to order them based on preference. The 1-10 scale might be more informative though.

25 minutes ago, kirashi said:

To be honest, I'm really just wishing for LTT's camera reviews to contain the same thoroughness of these channels, since they're what I use (in conjunction with the amazing folks over at dpreview.com) when looking to make a purchasing decision on any cameras. Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge: Maarten is based out of Toronto, making a collaboration with Brandon very, very doable, at least from a logistics standpoint.

They have done 2 videos semi similar to what you want and I doubt they will do much more than that:

Maarten who? They'd be better off flying out someone wearing a Henrys shirt or using a local camera shop in BC, and today I learned they don't even need to fly one out Henry's is doing what Canada Computers is doing ? I stopped watching DigitalRev when Kai left because it was his personality I was enjoying more so.

Another youtuber of interest is Jared Polin.

25 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Since you have so many side by side images it might be interesting to put up a survey where you strip identifying information on which camera was used from the images and ask people to rate them blind on a scale of 1-10, then do some analysis to see which phone actually comes out on top / in what scenarios from your followers :),

I feel like a lot of it can come down to personal taste (as you point out) so it might be interesting to see what people in the community tend to prefer in the different scenarios you present.

Edit: Otherwise, a simple blind ranking of the side by side images might work as well. Presenting them all and asking to order them based on preference. The 1-10 scale might be more informative though.

hi,

do you offer a download of the images you took? Unless you zoom in to 200%, displaying the images in the video doesn't really help. If you don't offer it, why not?

thanks

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

The Macbook vid, the mac pro, now this... come on.

I'm not an android user btw, the G isn't any better than ?

So because tech exists and they cover it, Apple is paying them? They cover most flagship phones, laptops, processors, and GPUs, are you going to ask the same question for everything you see a video about? I'm just trying to get the logic....

12 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

So because tech exists and they cover it, Apple is paying them? They cover most flagship phones, laptops, processors, and GPUs, are you going to ask the same question for everything you see a video about? I'm just trying to get the logic....

I think it's because they see a lot of videos from one company w/o knowing or caring to understand that release dates and times cause this. I know why this video exists because a new feature is out and wanted to redo the comparison, but some people may not or may not wish to care and just want to always complain.

21 minutes ago, randfee said:

hi,

do you offer a download of the images you took? Unless you zoom in to 200%, displaying the images in the video doesn't really help. If you don't offer it, why not?

thanks

The only images I know of that have been released have all been altered or thrown into jpg files(and not original ones), understandably because they are a all tech channel and not a camera only one. Only person I know of that religiously offers images for pixel peeping is Jared Polin.

14 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Thanks for the link! Interesting setup for a video. I get that the use of bracketing with different scenarios in different rounds and individual head to head battles with eliminations is probably more to make it fun for a video and easy to run the survey on instagram/twitter, but has obvious issues for a more serious comparison (you would eliminate photos that excel in different scenarios to the one in the original shot very quickly, you have a lot of responses but only based on a very small number of different images, for example). A more interesting and complete comparison wouldn’t be too difficult to set up.

39 minutes ago, MustyStag said:

Thanks for the link! Interesting setup for a video. I get that the use of bracketing with different scenarios in different rounds and individual head to head battles with eliminations is probably more to make it fun for a video and easy to run the survey on instagram/twitter, but has obvious issues for a more serious comparison (you would eliminate photos that excel in different scenarios to the one in the original shot very quickly, you have a lot of responses but only based on a very small number of different images, for example). A more interesting and complete comparison wouldn’t be too difficult to set up.

It's his second year doing it, but yea a more detailed one would be better. A simple website would be able to do this but they would need to implement a login setup to prevent abuse which if using facebook or google is fairly straight forward but it is a extra few steps on both sides and so I wouldn't expect the response to be as good as it would be doing the way they did it in the video.

But this also leads to another problem, every display is different and can lead to a different picture if ever printed. A over contrasted picture might look good on a screen but when printed could look like a ?