[RANT] Windows 10 refuses to accept the fact that it's update DOESN'T FUCKING WORK on my laptop...

Mnky313
2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Point being, it's a lot of fiddling around with shit to get it to work, and the only benefit as an end user I get is a slower, harder to use UI. And multi-snapping.

plus you get ms spying on you

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Point being, it's a lot of fiddling around with shit to get it to work, and the only benefit as an end user I get is a slower, harder to use UI. And multi-snapping.

I only use win 10 for supposedly better Ryzen support (that's how they always get you isn't it...)  otherwise I'd use 7 or 8,  the most annoying thing about win 10 is that it's buggy as hell and Microsoft does *not* separate security updates from feature updates, they'll always smuggle some new features or "improvements" (ie bugs) in with every "security update" at least I haven't found a way to separate the two yet. 

28 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

Wait, I thought I turned this all off in SU10? o.o 

(although windows definitely turns some of these settings back on by itself regularly...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

who knows man, i thought after every update microsoft turned all your changes back to default which left you wide open.

maybe ms changed that, i dont keep close enough tabs on it to care.

33 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

My dad doesn't even necessarily do high level classified government work anymore, but when he still has classified material on floppies and a XP machine he keeps off the network there's no way in hell he's going to "upgrade" to Win10 to have MS just have their own personal backdoor into the system. I don't think I can be convinced that's not a massive security loophole waiting to be seriously exploited if it hasn't already.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

waiting to be seriously exploited if it hasn't already.

yeah it has already been exploited, but who really knows if the "experts" out there in internet land that have told us how to close the doors if there isnt another hidden backdoor.

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

yeah it has already been exploited, but who really knows if the "experts" out there in internet land that have told us how to close the doors if there isnt another hidden backdoor.

Yeah, no thanks. I'm really not a fan that my PC username is just my actual name from my michaelsoft account, instead of being able to just make a local user account with a "code" name like you would in professional or secure environments. Like, at my dads shop the PCs are simply named "Front Office" I have no fucking clue how you would do that on Win10 without cheesing some shit or having to do some serious bullshit workaround.

The entire thing about it is just stupid and concerning, and I personally don't even have or do anything remotely sensitive on my PC. I still physically go to banks to check my account and deal with money.

#Muricaparrotgang

26 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Yeah, no thanks. I'm really not a fan that my PC username is just my actual name from my michaelsoft account, instead of being able to just make a local user account with a "code" name like you would in professional or secure environments. Like, at my dads shop the PCs are simply named "Front Office" I have no fucking clue how you would do that on Win10 without cheesing some shit or having to do some serious bullshit workaround.

The entire thing about it is just stupid and concerning, and I personally don't even have or do anything remotely sensitive on my PC. I still physically go to banks to check my account and deal with money.

You don't need a MS account to use win 10...

Also honestly, why not win 8 then?  Looks better and is probably less annoying too. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

You don't need a MS account to use win 10...

Also honestly, why not win 8 then?  Looks better and is probably less annoying too. 

Oh really? Care to explain why it WILL NOT let you install Win10 without linking to your MS account?

And Win8 is a piece of shit, that's why.

#Muricaparrotgang

9 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Oh really? Care to explain why it WILL NOT let you install Win10 without linking to your MS account?

This isn't true. I installed win 10 many times and what it does is tricking you into thinking you need an account,  but you really do not. 

During installation it will ask you if you want to sign in with you MS account,  you just say no...  (create local account instead) 

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/install-windows-without-a-microsoft-account.18609/

Unless they changed this *recently* that's how it always worked regardless of the installation method. 

9 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

And Win8 is a piece of shit, that's why.

Ok but is it shittier than 10, is the question?   ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I get 6 mounths to a year per win 10 install. Most times a windows update corrups my os and I cannot repair it or restore system image or anything. 

On 11/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, dalekphalm said:

Windows 8.1

I actually tried this. He could run into driver issues(my vega gpu for example only has drivers for win7 or 10).

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

supposedly better Ryzen support

You mean after it got updated. Meanwhile the supposedly outdated and ancient win7 was able to handle it properly without updates.... ?

16 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Its pretty much hard coded into the kernel so the only way to make sure MS wont be able to spy is to use a HW firewall and block it at the network level.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I get 6 mounths to a year per win 10 install. Most times a windows update corrups my os and I cannot repair it or restore system image or anything. 

I'm at over a year now but I already had to restore from a backup a couple of times - at least that seems to work IF you use third party tools (I wouldn't trust the internal backup function of win 10 for shit lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm at over a year now but I already had to restore from a backup a couple of times - at least that seems to work IF you use third party tools (I wouldn't trust the internal backup function of win 10 for shit lol)

I always dual boot ubuntu, thus when windows dies I can just switch to it for a while

On 11/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, RyomaSJibenG said:

umm i never seen any. at least not yet

windows 10 just works fine for me

maybe i'm just the outlier or something idk

It just works on my Grandmother's laptop, and even before the upgrade from a Pentium 4200 (that couldn't go above 1.83GHz, even though its a 2GHz CPU) to Core 2 Duo T9400, it ran Windows 10 just fine. In fact it has less issues than my old laptop with an A8 4555M (on another note, 45nm Pentium and C2D run Windows 10 far far better than their preceding 65nm counterparts).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This isn't true. I installed win 10 many times and what it does is tricking you into thinking you need an account,  but you really do not. 

During installation it will ask you if you want to sign in with you MS account,  you just say no...  (create local account instead) 

Unless they changed this *recently* that's how it always worked regardless of the installation method. 

Ok but is it shittier than 10, is the question?   ;)

Well you're wrong.

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/

Oh, and I've done what they said about making a "local account" afterwards, but my c drive and everything under it is still named my MS account.

#Muricaparrotgang

49 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Well you're wrong.

https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confirmed-windows-10-setup-now-prevents-local-account-creation/

Oh, and I've done what they said about making a "local account" afterwards, but my c drive and everything under it is still named my MS account.

So when did you initially install Windows 10?

If it was before the May update you could have always done what everyone else did and create a local account. 

And also that article is really a bit clickbaity and dare I say fishy...  

They even say this in it 

Once you’ve skipped the Microsoft account creation, the old “Who’s going to use this PC?” screen will appear.

Basically nothing changed at all. LOL 

And for the record: I wasn't wrong at all.

Option is still there and *has always been there* they only slightly changed how it works

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

36 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So when did you initially install Windows 10?

If it was before the May update you could have always done what everyone else did and create a local account. 

And also that article is really a bit clickbaity and dare I say fishy...  

They even say this in it 

Basically nothing changed at all. LOL 

And for the record: I wasn't wrong at all.

Option is still there and *has always been there* they only slightly changed how it works

Delete your OS and reinstall Win10. Take a step by step screenshot with instructions on how to not make it tied to the MS account. Until you do so, my experience that I had LAST WEEK and is reflected in that post is that MS removed the option to create a local account until AFTER you've already tied it.

At this point you are wrong, but just deny being so and I won't argue with you further. And for the record, you are 100% wrong, and the option isn't there, and it doesn't change how it works, after making a "local account" afterwords it's still tied and named to your MS account, which is exactly what I don't want. I mean, for fucks sake, they literally have screenshots that prove you wrong. And nothing about the article is clickbaity or fishy. You CAN NOT create a local account in Win10 startup installation, unless you are completely disconnected from any network, which it fails to mention.

#Muricaparrotgang

You didn't even bother reading the article you linked........... 

And you did not answer my question when you initially installed win 10... (unsurprisingly) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

And one more thing, it's not obvious nor intelligent that to create a local account I have to open my PC and rip out my Wifi card to install an OS. That's retarded. If I had a laptop with no wifi switch, I would have to physically take it somewhere where it has no possible network connections, or install the OS with the laptop inside a Faraday cage. That's also fucking stupid.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You didn't even bother reading the article you linked........... 

Please explain how I didn't read the article I linked. I literally said exactly what it quoted. did you read it?

Edit* NVM, fuck it. You're just starting to annoy me. You're wrong and I'm not arguing.

#Muricaparrotgang

10 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

You CAN NOT create a local account in Win10 startup installation, unless you are completely disconnected from any network, which it fails to mention.

How to Create a Local User Account Instead

Thankfully, there is one hidden way around this process on Windows 10 Home: You can disconnect your computer from the network.

If you have a computer with an Ethernet cable, unplug it. If you’re connected to Wi-Fi, disconnect.

After you do, try creating a Microsoft account and you’ll see a “Something went wrong” error message. You can then click “Skip” to skip the Microsoft account creation process.

Once you’ve skipped the Microsoft account creation, the old “Who’s going to use this PC?” screen will appear. You can now create an offline account and sign in to Windows 10 without a Microsoft account—the option was there all along.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Mnky313, there's some off topic in this thread. But as this seems to be rant rather than request for help, I'm not gonna clean it unless you feel like you want to keep ranting closer to your own problem.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/27/2019 at 5:35 PM, JZStudios said:

You have to do a regedit to be able to just boot to desktop and skip the login screen and password.

Run netplwiz and uncheck the "users must enter a password to login" option. It then lets you enter a user account and password to automatically login as.

On 11/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mnky313 said:

Anyway, currently it is stuck on 1809.

I've had a poor success rate updating from 1809 to 190x if I let Windows Update do it. 1903 to 1909 is ok. So for 1809 to 1909 I have to resort to the USB stick method below. Short of a clean reinstall, I'd try getting it to 1909 and see if that helps.

To do this, I'd make a Win10 USB drive with MS media creation tool. Disconnect the system from the internet then run the installer on the USB stick from Windows. Disconnecting from internet before updating prevents it from trying to get more updates... you can do that afterwards. Hopefully the move to 1909 will negate the need for the failing update.

On 11/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mnky313 said:

It also doesn't think half the built in apps are installed, photos (the windows media viewer app) doesn't open on hers even though it's all updated and everything.

The only time I had big problems with the built in apps was when I tried to uninstall some on a fresh install. It seems to confuse Windows and I was close to nuking it and reinstalling again, when after a reboot it re-installed the stuff I was trying to uninstall. After that point, I could finally uninstall normally. I suspect what happened in that case was that I was uninstalling it while Windows was at the same time trying to update them, and it got confused. Now I let the apps update before I try to uninstall them.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

@Mnky313, there's some off topic in this thread. But as this seems to be rant rather than request for help, I'm not gonna clean it unless you feel like you want to keep ranting closer to your own problem.

Nah, it's fine.

In other news, I disabled Windows update for now but tried a few different things:

Windows 7 will not boot or install with the eGPU connected. (I need to hotplug it after the laptop posts but before it boots even the OS select menu) I just get a BSOD for 'Bios is not fully ACPI Compliant'. I tried both Legacy and UEFI images and same thing on both.

Manjaro Linux did actually boot this time though it was REALLY slow, probably a driver issue with having both the Nvidia and AMD card, besides it being really slow it appeared to work.

I was busy setting up a Surface Pro 4 I got (and promptly had to sent back to Microsoft because Flickergate)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1