Violent video games leave teenagers 'morally immature', claims study

XTankSlayerX

Yeah, its another ones of these... I personally think its BS considering im in the age range of the "test group".

Most of the Canadian teenagers I know are smoking weed, and having alcohol.

People need to stop blaming other things for the own stupidity.

Also, no one is as concerned or worried about their friends (as opposed to other countries) well being from what ive experienced.

QuoteQuoteQuoteQuoteQuote

Exposure to violence makes it harder for teens to tell right from wrong. Gaming also reduces the amount of contact they have with the real world. This can delay their emotional development, especially in terms of empathy. They also struggle to trust others and see the world from their perspective.

Violent games, including games where players have to kill, maim, decapitate or torture another human character, were among the most popular.

The teenagers also filled in a questionnaire designed to gauge their moral development. 

For example, they were asked how important it is to save the life of a friend.

Previous studies have suggested that a person's moral judgement goes through four phases as they grow from children and enter adulthood.

By the age of 13 or 14, scientists claim young people should be entering the third stage, and be able to empathise with others and take their perspective into account.

The research found that this stage appeared to be delayed in teenagers who regularly played violent video games

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2553213/Violent-video-games-leave-teenagers-morally-immature-claims-study.html I

No, kids and teenagers are just real stupid nowadays.

Don't blame games for bad parenting or bad children.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Because when i see someone get shot i'm like "it happend in a video game so it isn't anything serieus".. Please these people who made the studie, F off..

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Just stop posting theese studies. Its really not worth it. Fishing for views, they are not changing the world.

I agree with the second point.

I don't think it makes it harder to tell right from wrong, but then again I'm very much out of the age range and wasn't glued to video games as a kid.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

people with brains know..... nevermind
these stupid studies are people trying to justify that they are good parents and that other media has no affect on them
so whatever at this point

I am so sick and tired of people (usually crazy conservatives and crazy feminists) claiming that video games make you violent, sexist, immoral, etc. Gamers and developers need to stop paying attention to these lunatics and their crap "studies" already since these myths have been debunked many times. If people don't like the product they should remember that they live in a capitalist society and can choose to not buy the product instead if demanding that games be banned or censored.

i can speak for my self that game that require a lot of attention like CS left me hyperactive

playing CS many hours in a day every day from the age of 10 to 15

other than that i didnt not effect me in any other way

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

We should ignore these kinds of articles, they make them because they attract attention and views.

See the studies that don't get the attention are the studies that are made by people that know what the hell they are talking about. The reason stories like this make news is because there is an agenda by certain 'family oriented' groups to stop these sorts of games from being made.

The real studies show little correlation.

Video games have ratings, they are there for a reason *looks at parents*, stop letting your 8 year old play COD. Quit blaming the developers and start blaming yourselves, you know you're a shitty fucking parent and an even lousier role model, so stop breeding and stop complaining.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

"Exposure to violence makes it harder for teens to tell right from wrong"

no thats bad parenting

Gaming also reduces the amount of contact they have with the real world. This can delay their emotional development, especially in terms of empathy     

unfortunately this is half true, but its also social media that is the other culprat 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

"Exposure to violence makes it harder for teens to tell right from wrong"

no thats bad parenting

Gaming also reduces the amount of contact they have with the real world. This can delay their emotional development, especially in terms of empathy     

unfortunately this is half true, but its also social media that is the other culprat 

It's funny you bring up Social media. I have seen so many people just dragged into those stupid fucking Facebook games and they can't get off of them. it consumes their life.

So parents have no room to talk, at least the child is playing a game that takes skill (generally) rather than a game that gets you to pay money and grind time to get 'rewards'

At least minecraft teaches creativity and gives the child a sense of meaning. Farmville teaches you that anything can be attained without effort if you just pay for it, which is just plain stupid. 

I hate stupid people -_-

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Im not going to argue with that xD i cant say im the most maturer 16 year old lol

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Im not going to argue with that xD i cant say im the most maturer 16 year old lol

I'm 22, I'm much less mature than people expect me to be.

Hail Sithis!

I can be very mature and childish when I want to.I decide how I should act,not some games.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I note that the article in question did not cite their source, the study  nor link to the people who did it.  Such a poor example of journalism.  A good journalist talking about the developmental stages of the brain would have also referenced this study that shows the human brain does not stop maturing until after 30. http://phys.org/news/2010-12-brain-fully-mature-30s-40s.html

This is why the 18 -25 age group has the most amount of accidents on the road, the highest rate of criminal activity (or used to) etc etc etc.  Note video games where not an issues in the 80's but I can guarantee the the whole understanding morals didn't exist then either.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@cartdog

Agreed, bad parenting is the biggest cause.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No.no.no the government should parent the children, its not like it's a parents job to raise a child and choose to buy the game for them.

I don't believe we can say that video games have no effect on children (yes, teenagers are still children) but it is just one effect of many. All the media you consume can effect you in different ways and when your mind is still very impressionable it can have much larger responce to that kind of stimulus. However, parenting and general society play an even bigger role. We all look at teenagers today and go "Teens do stupid things" and leave it at that instead of looking into why we excpect it and accept it. I won't turn this post into a rant about society, parents, and the media but I will say that anyone saying there is a single cause for "kids today" has no idea what they are talking about.

WTF THIS IS JUST A LIE!!! I PLAY VIDEO GAMES 24/7 SUCH AS COD BLOPS 2 AND IM NOT IMMATURE YOU STUPID DUMBO AND NEITHER AM I VIOLENT!!! RAWWRRRR I WILL KILL THE PERSON WHOEVER CLAIMS THIS RESEARCH!

sarcasm in case of anyone taking this serious because I'm pretty sure that there are people who would take this seriously ;)

I'm 14 and I play BF4 and dota 2 almost everyday and I don't think it has affected me negatively much since I excel at my studies and I have very good conduct in school.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Yeah, its another ones of these... I personally think its BS considering im in the age range of the "test group".

Most of the Canadian teenagers I know are smoking weed, and having alcohol.

People need to stop blaming other things for the own stupidity.

Also, no one is as concerned or worried about their friends (as opposed to other countries) well being from what ive experienced.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2553213/Violent-video-games-leave-teenagers-morally-immature-claims-study.html I

I guess i fall into the minority of Canadian teenagers? I'm allergic to marijuana smoke, and i can't drink alcohol... Whoops 

Also i find most for my friends do this stuff though, even thug i disagree with it. Oh well. I find that this argument is flawed, as i've been playing violent video games as long as i can remember, and i am not a violent person. I am a loving caring person. Mostly because well i was left to video games all alone as a child... However i digress. Video games are not the cause of angry children, or violent people. Bad parenting is the cause. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda