Violent video games leave teenagers 'morally immature', claims study

XTankSlayerX

And the next day they will start blaming car manufacturers because the idiot parents collided with a tree and killed their child.

Guess what, the parents start a petition against (for example) Volvo, because the car even when it had 5 star NCAP rating on it but it didn't save their child. I'm sorry but which moron drove that car and collided with a tree, the idiot parent.

This study is no different, because it lacks hard facts.

Really how many teenagers did they test?

What was their backgrounds?

Did they have any mental issues?

How many hours did they play?

Are those teenagers the "I don't care" and "YOLO" type?

Why did their parents allow them to play +18 games (aka adult games)?

This study lacks many of these criteria to be fully supported.

So it gets the BULLSH*T stamp for it.

This was my $0,02 about this.

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

These retarded claims are so irritating. We should ignore these types of articles.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I am 15 myself, Maybe because of the PCs and games the todays teenagers are stupid, because PC/games are like a drug for mnay people like me.

BUt i dont skip school/studying for that!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

It's articles and studies like this that breed ignorance and immaturity.  I think it really comes down to each individual person and those who influence them in the early stages of life (i.e. parents, family).  A lot of today's teenagers act stupid and immature, which for the most part is because their parents act stupid and immature. 

Parents these days spend more time taking instagram pics of their kids and talking with friends on Facebook than they do raising their kids properly.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

It's articles and studies like this that breed ignorance and immaturity.  I think it really comes down to each individual person and those who influence them in the early stages of life (i.e. parents, family).  A lot of today's teenagers act stupid and immature, which for the most part is because their parents act stupid and immature. 

Parents these days spend more time taking instagram pics of their kids and talking with friends on Facebook than they do raising their kids properly.

In all fairness to the parents on facebook, facebook has only been around since 2004, so their kids aren't teenagers yet, that being said though, parenting does suck now a days. Instead of taking responsibility for their lack of parenting and guidance they're blaming other people or things for it. This "but it can't be me" attitude is ridiculous, because every deplorable situation involving children/teens/young adults must have been due to some external reason............................right? <_<

Its not the games, its the internet, YEAH TWATS BAN THE INTERNET

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the dailymail is sensational bullshit, please don't take them seriously.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

hmmm.. so prolonged exposure of undeveloped/developing children to violence not meant for their undeveloped/developing minds has a negative effect? Wow, who would have figured? 

Also the study seems to use games as a focal point but does not exclude other forms of violent entertainment. 

People, keep your kids away from inappropriate stuff not meant for them and they will be fine. 12 yr old boys and girls are not supposed to be bashing peoples heads in, kicking heads into toilet bowls and shooting people randomly. Watching (Film, TV, etc), Reading or playing any thing not intended for their age or metal development will have a negative effect on our kids, its not rocket science. tbh I did not need a researcher to tell me that, nether should anyone else

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

One sentence I learned from statistics:

Correlation does not imply causation.

In reality there may be some truth to this article, although you are testing against categorical variables, so something like finding a correlation factor with a high degree of accuracy is out of the question.

Also social sciences tend to be "iffy" at best.

Edit: 

Also think of all the confounding variables and uncontrollable factors. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Intressting ....

Now go research to cure diseases and important stuff

4690k==H105==Z97 Sniper G1== Ballistix Tracer 8GB==MSI GTX 1660 Ti== 1TB SB==MX100 128GB ==450D

I'm 14 and I play BF4 and dota 2 almost everyday and I don't think it has affected me negatively much since I excel at my studies and I have very good conduct in school.

Liar. You go around shooting people.

THEY STUDIED IT SO IT IS REAL!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Bad parenting*

Fixed.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Lol how important is it to save a friend life? First of all I have actively played video games since I was probably 7 years old and playing games like DayZ or MMO games I always do my best to protect the people I'm playing with and will risk my life (characters life) so try and save them from losing whatever it is you lose upon death. If anything video games teach you that a human life is worth Saving. Sick of seeing this if a kid is bad it's usually due to bad parenting simple as

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Lol how important is it to save a friend life? First of all I have actively played video games since I was probably 7 years old and playing games like DayZ or MMO games I always do my best to protect the people I'm playing with and will risk my life (characters life) so try and save them from losing whatever it is you lose upon death. If anything video games teach you that a human life is worth Saving. Sick of seeing this if a kid is bad it's usually due to bad parenting simple as

That is true. I was taught to consider others before yourself. But many people just don't give a fuck (I had to. excuse the wording)

Im willing to get out of my heli (In BF4) to go help someone rep their tank or something. But a lot of people don't do that

(that being consider other peeps)

. Which is sad.

Correlation does not equal to causation.

There are other correlating factors to consider.

Yet again, waving the finger at anyone or anything but themselves. Silly humans.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

It's funny you bring up Social media. I have seen so many people just dragged into those stupid fucking Facebook games and they can't get off of them. it consumes their life.

So parents have no room to talk, at least the child is playing a game that takes skill (generally) rather than a game that gets you to pay money and grind time to get 'rewards'

At least minecraft teaches creativity and gives the child a sense of meaning. Farmville teaches you that anything can be attained without effort if you just pay for it, which is just plain stupid. 

I hate stupid people -_-

Here's a video to back you up!  

Tbh maybe it does have an affect on kids like 10-11 years of age. But for the most part it's bad parenting.

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

This is such a simple problem to solve. Parents if your kids are not mature enough to handle violence DONT BUY THEM COD FOR THIER BIRTHDAY

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Agreed, bad parenting is the biggest cause.

But have you considered what causes bad parenting?  people didn't just become bad parents over night, there has been a shift in societal thinking that discourages parents from parenting the way we used to. Be it in discouraging physical discipline or promoting some form of soft punishment because reprimanding a child might be misconstrued as psychological abuse nowadays.  

It is a very complicated issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But have you considered what causes bad parenting?  people didn't just become bad parents over night, there has been a shift in societal thinking that discourages parents from parenting the way we used to. Be it in discouraging physical discipline or promoting some form of soft punishment because reprimanding a child might be misconstrued as psychological abuse nowadays.  

It is a very complicated issue.

I know, but you can't blame games on it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.