Should Linus look for another YT partner?

FrankySam

I've been a fan of Linus for a while now and 100% trust it's judgment, but what went down with PIA doesn't look so good. I think Linus would be better off with a new partner cause there are dozens of other  products - NordVPN, Dashlane, Audible that Linus can team up with. I just don't want him to get bad rep because of a partner's mistake.

its typical shitty corporation stuff. should linus stop talking to asus and stop using their stuff over their misleading and outright lying motherboard marketing. or stop reviewing intel stuff because they paid companies to not use amd and made fake benchmarks. unfortunately if you drop companies over shitty stuff they do you will end up with not being able to go with any of them

He survived Tunnel Bear, so...

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

You are talking about sponsor? PIA wouldn't be the first sponsor to be dropped. Remember TunnelBear? What about the clothing company? Or that one with men's hygiene products?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Pretty sure Linus knows how to look after his business interests.   A random reddit post is not likely to be an influencing factor, most people seem to be appropriately critical of it for now.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Me as a business owner - sometimes Infamous is just as good for business as famous.  People have your name in their mouth. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

What happened with PIA?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

8 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

What happened with PIA?

Some guy on Reddit made a post exposing PIA (its owner specifically) for some allegedly bad business practices and mistreatment of employees.

At this moment we don't now if these alledged claims are true or not, but it is causing some controversy around the PIA brand.

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You are talking about sponsor? PIA wouldn't be the first sponsor to be dropped. Remember TunnelBear? What about the clothing company? Or that one with men's hygiene products?

Huh, why did they drop the men's hygiene products brand? Or the clothing brand... Are we taking about the one in the past or the more recent one?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Huh, why did they drop the men's hygiene products brand? Or the clothing brand... Are we taking about the one in the past or the more recent one?

The clothing thing was because of poor quality and customer support. Like someone received very shirts that had washed out colors an d basicly came apart in first machine wash. And then refured to refund or send another. Something like that. I honestly don't remember the names of them :D

The other one I'm not sure. I just know they aren't sponsor any longer. And considering some of long-time sponsors are still around (SquareSpace, Dbrand), I assume there was something fishy going on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Me as a business owner - sometimes Infamous is just as good for business as famous.  People have your name in their mouth. 

Not if you want to build credibility, which is what LMG has been trying to do all these years. Hence why they abruptly dropped some sponsors after some incidents.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

Some guy on Reddit made a post exposing PIA (its owner specifically) for some allegedly bad business practices and mistreatment of employees.

At this moment we don't now if these alledged claims are true or not, but it is causing some controversy around the PIA brand.

I'm not defending the guy but, I wouldn't stop using a product just because the company's owner is an a-hole as long as the product is good.

From my pretty limited experience, most bosses and company owners are like that anyways.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm not defending the guy but, I wouldn't stop using a product just because the company's owner is an a-hole as long as the product is good.

From my pretty limited experience, most bosses and company owners are like that anyways.

That's a very valid point, but there are two counter arguments one could make (I am not saying I agree/disagree with these points nor do I think the claims are true/untrue). For these claims I am gonna enter the make belief world where the claims are true just to make the reasoning make sense.

1. Moral reason: you are using a good product, made 'on the back off' other humans. You would basically say "I know you're doing this to your employees, but don't dislike it enough to change my habits"

This is a moral reason and morals are of course subjective.

2. Speculative reason: you could reason "well, if he does this bad thing.. who says he is not gonna do another bad thing that will affect me?"

But that's IMO a sort of worse thing usually, other than the fact that we're dealing with a company that does have a lot of your personal information, so you wouldn't want them to do anything bad with it..

Those are two reasons I can come up with why you wouldn't want to support them if the stories written down by that Reddit user are true.

Every human in the world is in it for personal gain, that's a fact. But you don't have to do it over people's back.

I read the story on Reddit and find the whole investment story weak, as in 'who cares?' what he does with his money.. But if the hostile work environment turns out to be true, that would suck for all the employees :/ but we only have one story from one (alledged) employee. That hardly makes it a case.

Also, every boss in the world has to be somewhat of an 'asshole', otherwise people will see you as a pushover and you wouldn't get as much done I guess. That's just the world we live in.

Rant over. I guess.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

-snip-

I haven't read the post and, I can't seem to find it so, I figured they were being overly demanding or a nuisance towards the workers which isn't good but in the end, wouldn't turn me away from the product.

Now, if they were to abuse the workers or sell user data, I'd obviously stop using PIA if it was proven to be true.

Every human in the world is in it for personal gain, that's a fact. But you don't have to do it over people's back.

I try my best to avoid that, don't worry. :P

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

I haven't read the post and, I can't seem to find it so, I figured they were being overly demanding or a nuisance towards the workers which isn't good but in the end, wouldn't turn me away from the product.

Now, if they were to abuse the workers or sell user data, I'd obviously stop using PIA if it was proven to be true.

I try my best to avoid that, don't worry. :P

The Reddit post was quoted here, if you are interested: 

Now that I read it again it feels even more like a salty ex employee... But I'm not taking it quite serious yet though.

And sorry if that last sentence in my previous post felt kinda pretentious..

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

That's good point. Tesla, Apple, Microsoft to name few. Here one smaller retailer too, the owner has done some tax scams and other shady stuff. Actual bit like Jeff Bezos.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The hygine company was Dollar Shave Club, which I assume is still in business...they might just not be sponsering anymore...maybe not enough people bought butt wipes with the linus code.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎