Tablet Wars: The Last Pixel Slate - Google Throws in The Towel on Pixel Slate

jiyeon
6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Except that it seems that Arika and the Not So Good Doctor aren't joking.

I am literally joking. I don't expect Elizabeth Warren to win in 2020 xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The only tablet that Google did a decent job on was the Nexus 7.

Not surprising that the Slate failed. Was unimpressed from the beginning 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I am literally joking.

Don't quit your day job.

Ever.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

The only tablet that Google did a decent job on was the Nexus 7.

Pfft. No.

The Nexus 7 was a low end piece of shit and it showed. Google doesn't do hardware or operating systems well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

*grins* -Tim Cook

Pretty much every major smartphone brand in the world is going to release some variation of "phone-becomes-tablet" device in the next 2-3 years. And with Qualcomm already putting Snapdragons in laptops they might well by 2025 somehow make phone, tablet, and PC all the same thing.

Who's getting the last laugh then?

1 minute ago, Results45 said:

Pretty much every major smartphone brand in the world is going to release some variation of "phone-becomes-tablet" device in the next 2-3 years

If you're referring to fordable phones.....no, just no. They are not going to be a thing. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Results45 said:

How are you so sure? It's not like they'll get abandoned like Project Ara overnight.

Well considering that both of the foldable phones that were announced haven't come to market.....very sure. 

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Except that article is from 2015...

While the article itself is old, the estimates it offers isn't far off base for iOS share.

https://www.gizchina.com/2019/05/09/global-tablet-market-in-q1-2019-apple-dominates-with-27-share/

But every cock sucking primary source I've seen offering 2019 stats does one of three things: Break it down by the largest five individual OEMs, break it down by iOS vs Android, or "Desktop vs tablet" OS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 hours ago, descendency said:

I had to look - because I didn't even realize anyone was still selling Android tablets. And the Pixel Slate was a dumpster fire according to most reviewers. Google never put the effort into tablets to make a compelling product. And the result showed. 

The issue isn’t that nobody wants android tablets. It’s that nobody wants high-end android tablets. it’s crazy that there are people willing to pay top dollar for the latest ipad pros that cost more than a mid-end laptop, but that seems to be where the market has settled on. 

Maybe LinusTech should do a series on trying to edit video on an ipad and see how it fares against their top-end rigs? 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Don't quit your day job.

Ever.

Pfft. No.

The Nexus 7 was a low end piece of shit and it showed. Google doesn't do hardware or operating systems well.

*cough*Pixlel*cough*

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Not too surprised though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, abazigal said:

The issue isn’t that nobody wants android tablets. It’s that nobody wants high-end android tablets. it’s crazy that there are people willing to pay top dollar for the latest ipad pros that cost more than a mid-end laptop, but that seems to be where the market has settled on. 

Maybe LinusTech should do a series on trying to edit video on an ipad and see how it fares against their top-end rigs? 

It's basically a repeat of what happened in the Windows PC market.

When every vendor outside of Apple is basically running the same OS, they have to compete on value for money -- and that usually means lower prices.  They get stuck in an "ever cheaper, ever crappier" cycle where it's mostly about seeing what they can sacrifice (be it performance, build quality or customer support) to undercut their rivals.  In the case of Android tablets, they've devolved from high-end devices into little more than Netflix viewers.  Google's near-total lack of support for Android as a tablet OS doesn't help.

Apple, however, doesn't have to do that.  It's the only company producing iOS tablets, of course, so if you want that experience, you pay whatever they feel they can charge.  And Apple actually cares about fostering a tablet ecosystem (both in software and high-end hardware), so you thankfully get something more for the money.  My main concern now (apart from wanting to see more desktop-like flexibility) is that there isn't a lot of truly high-end productivity software.  Full Photoshop is coming, but I'd really like to see Apple release Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for the iPad.

8 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

*cough*Pixlel*cough*

The Pixel is a family of high end pieces of shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure. But it's not Apples fault that nobody want's an Android tablet. 

Right? I have Samsung everything and its all synced up - when my washer finishes I get a notification on my TV. Even with all that I still have an iPad pro because it is hands down the best tablet on the market. 

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Hard disagree here. The Nexus 7 (both versions) were awesome and I really liked them. Got the second revision off craigslist for like 150$ and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Just now, jdubya421 said:

Hard disagree here. The Nexus 7 (both versions) were awesome and I really liked them. Got the second revision off craigslist for like 150$ and I enjoyed every bit of it.

I sold off my Nexus 7 for $20 because it was inferior to even my old Koby android tablet in just about every regard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Arika S said:

That may be the case, but a monopoly on the tablet market benefits no one but Apple as a company. 

But Apple doesn't seem to be interested in controlling the tablet market the way Intel and Nvidia were controlling the CPU and GPU market by jacking up the prices and withholding cutting edge tech, before AMD at least.

Apple offers wide range of iPads varying in different sizes and prices that caters to almost all markets where a tablet would make sense, from iPad minis to be used in kiosks and restaurants to iPad Pro's to be used by artists and professional work. From the iPad 9.7" for kids to a more regular 10.5" iPads for families.

In short, they seem to just serve everyone with their market dominance and tbh with iPadOS, they seem to be pushing into a completely new UI and workflow, by taking the best of both worlds from phones and laptops.

Whether it'll be a success remains to be seen, but they're taking their time with it (unlike Microsoft) and they seem to be heading in a good direction, for now.

19 hours ago, abazigal said:

Yeah and there's a whole bunch of other ways to help make using an iPad Pro more PC-like: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1010762-replace-your-laptop-with-something-worse-ipad-pro-2018-review/?do=findComment&comment=12504734

Looking at all the replies here, it's almost as if I was the only one who actually wants an Android-tablet. I don't own any Apple-devices and I really have no interest in joining their shitty closed ecosystem and Surface-tablets are way too expensive, plus I don't have any experience on whether Windows is actually useable on a tablet in the first place.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I don't have any experience on whether Windows is actually useable on a tablet in the first place

On screens 10" or bigger, it's very usable, and IMO, superior to Android (which, again IMO, is getting easier and easier with every major Android update).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.