Jump to content

How to turn pc off but stay in discord vc

Go to solution Solved by bal723,
12 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

but if i unplug the cpu fan will it kill the system?

why dont tune down the cpu fan then? so it spins super quietly without overheating, cpu wont consume more than 10w at idle anyway

Posted (edited)

I'm going into a last to leave the VC challenge in discord, and I want to know how to turn my pc off without leaaving the vc. all the fans need to be off so it doesnt make any noise (i was thinking of just unplugging the cpu fan and putting the pc on sleep mode - Tested and does not work) The challenge doesn't require activity checks so i want to just sleep, but i really want to win without killing my pc! please help if you can!

Edited by Windows 11 Sucks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

It doesn't have to be fully off, just not using much power and no noise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't be able to do that. You're best bet would be to disable sleep on your pc. Leaving your pc on won't kill the machine, but it will consume more power over time.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

  • CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

You won't be able to do that. You're best bet would be to disable sleep on your pc. Leaving your pc on won't kill the machine, but it will consume more power over time.

so it isn't possible to leave it on but have no fans?

 

and if i leave it on but the cpu fan unplugged it will kill it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming this is all within the bounds of the rules and we aren't trying to help you cheat

First,

12 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

without killing me pc

leaving it powered on will not kill it. 

Second

12 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

unplugging the cpu fan

This is a bad idea, unless you have a beefcake cooler and are undervolting, it needs the airflow
As for 

12 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

the fans need to be off so it doesnt make any noise

You can use FanControl to set fan curves. Make them turn on at 70C or something. But why does it need to be silent?
Also you can use OpenRGB to disable all the lights

All that being said, won't you get bounced to AFK channel when you don't talk for a while? Otherwise you could just win by using a cheap PC stashed in a closet....

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can just unplug everything except pc lol
so monitor is black, fans dont spin or shine and other

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

won't you get bounced to AFK channel when you don't talk for a while?

it's being disabled since sleeping is allowed

 

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

This is a bad idea, unless you have a beefcake cooler and are undervolting, it needs the airflow

its a r5 3600 with stock cooler, but if nothing apart from discord is running (ill end all other tasks on task manager) it might be fine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bal723 said:

you can just unplug everything except pc lol
so monitor is black, fans dont spin or shine and other

but if i unplug the cpu fan will it kill the system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

but if i unplug the cpu fan will it kill the system?

It won't kill it dead, but there are overheat protections built in and it will shut down the system. 
Again, not sure why it needs to be dead silent. 

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

it will shut down the system. 

so theres no way to have it dead silent, with only discord running and no fans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

so theres no way to have it dead silent, with only discord running and no fans

I mean maybe? Definitely pull the side panels off. But the only way to tell is to try

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run my HTPC dead silent, but it's got a U12 tower cooler and is ziptied to a pegboard so it gets air flow from currents in the house. But it also hits 70C on the CPU while just playing spotify

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, OddOod said:

I mean maybe? Definitely pull the side panels off. But the only way to tell is to try

okay, i probably should give some context. I kind of dont have a case or fans yet, just a r5 3600, a 1070 and a b450 on the mobo box...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

but if i unplug the cpu fan will it kill the system?

why dont tune down the cpu fan then? so it spins super quietly without overheating, cpu wont consume more than 10w at idle anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, ill do custom on qfan control and set it all to minimum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I run my HTPC dead silent, but it's got a U12 tower cooler and is ziptied to a pegboard so it gets air flow from currents in the house. But it also hits 70C on the CPU while just playing spotify

Q=McdT in action.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

okay, i probably should give some context. I kind of dont have a case or fans yet, just a r5 3600, a 1070 and a b450 on the mobo box...

It shouldn't be that noisy in the majority of cases. Most CPU fans are nearly silent at idle (like, you have to put your head right next to them, to hear them), the 1070 fans should be off on the desktop and case fans will also ramp down to nearly inaudible (assuming they're controlled by the motherboard, or you have a fan controller).

 

Making the PC literally dead silent is not usually a good idea because then you start hearing things that you didn't even know made noise (like coil whine and even SSDs can buzz) and that kind of noise is WAY more annoying than a very faint hum.

 

There are a small number of fans that make annoying noises when they're ran very slowly, but let's just hope you don't get a case like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Windows 11 Sucks said:

I'm going into a last to leave the VC challenge in discord, and I want to know how to turn my pc off without leaaving the vc. all the fans need to be off so it doesnt make any noise (i was thinking of just unplugging the cpu fan and putting the pc on sleep mode - Tested and does not work) The challenge doesn't require activity checks so i want to just sleep, but i really want to win without killing my pc! please help if you can!

Why not just install the app on your phone and do it there? Or a spare phone?

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about not doing a stupid challenge that just wastes electricity?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

    ▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

  ▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

 ██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

  ▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

       ▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

       ▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

          ██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

          ██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

          ██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

        █▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

        ▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

How about not doing a stupid challenge that just wastes electricity?

How about let people be happy while they spend a whopping a couple kWh of energy?

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

why do the fans need to be off??

wtf kinda challenge is that lol

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

 

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

why do the fans need to be off??

wtf kinda challenge is that lol

Guy prolly has the PC in his bedroom and is tryna sleep, I know the feeling. I wouldn't be able to sleep with the PC+UPS fans running, it's noisy af.

 

And about wasting power, unless Discord is maxxing out the CPU and graphics card the PC will use less than 50 watts/hour idling, so... nothing, our hallway spotlight draws as much and my mom often forgets to turn it off when leaving for work.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×