Noticeable difference between ALC897 and ALC4080 with Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro?

Fluuwu
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
1 hour ago, Fluuwu said:

It might actually not be the Meizu one... The product title says "Meizu", but on the picture it says like "mblu"... guess i'll have to go for another one..

Apparently they're all the same?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-mblu-lifeme-pro-portable-dac-amp-review.46550/

It's not excellent like the specific MEIZU Hifi Audio Pro model, but the SINAD is still "very good" and therefore humanly inaudible. Still good output of 1.5V.

I would say go for it.

I'm currently on edge, cause I have to decide between 2 motherboards for my new gaming rig. One of them has Audio codec ALC897, the other has ALC4080. I know, that ALC4080 is newer and better, but will that make a huge difference if I have studio headphones like my DT770 Pros?

There is no humanly perceptible difference between the two chips. They are both audibly transparent.

If you get digital noise from the headphone output (poor motherboard implementation) then the $9 Apple USB-C dongle (DAC) if you're in the US Market can competently run the DT 770 Pro.

Choose the motherboard with the best features in your budget.

DAC is a solved category.

If you think you need more power, or if you're uncomfortable with "turning up the volume so high" then all you need is a headphone amp like the Schiit Magni for ~$60 off their official website or $130 for the JDS Atom Amp 2. You would just feed a 3.5mm cable from the Apple DAC to the amp input. In this situation, it does not matter if you're in the US market or not.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Don't you already have a dedicated audio interface if your previous posts are anything to go off of? Assuming you do, the on board audio is irrelevant. 

If you don't, then you probably won't notice that much of a difference. I've got a pair of DT770s (80 ohm version), and did try to compare two different board with both of those audio interfaces. The only thing I really noticed was that the audio levels were set much higher on the lower end board in order to reach the same volume, other than that music sounded about the same. I'm not going to say my ears are amazing and able to hear all the subtle differences between headphones, I'd like to think I'm above average though, so unless you're really picky it's not likely to be something you will notice. Besides, if you are actually picky you should be investing in an external audio interface and not care about on-board audio in general. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Don't you already have a dedicated audio interface if your previous posts are anything to go off of? Assuming you do, the on board audio is irrelevant. 

If you don't, then you probably won't notice that much of a difference. I've got a pair of DT770s (80 ohm version), and did try to compare two different board with both of those audio interfaces. The only thing I really noticed was that the audio levels were set much higher on the lower end board in order to reach the same volume, other than that music sounded about the same. I'm not going to say my ears are amazing and able to hear all the subtle differences between headphones, I'd like to think I'm above average though, so unless you're really picky it's not likely to be something you will notice. Besides, if you are actually picky you should be investing in an external audio interface and not care about on-board audio in general. 

Well, I have a Behringer XENXY Q802USB, but I just tried to plug my DT770 Pros into it, and I got no sound from it... And I don't wanna spend money on a headphone interface, if I already have one on my table, that technically should work. My mic works fine, but my headphones don't get sound on it.

13 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

There is no humanly perceptible difference between the two chips. They are both audibly transparent.

If you get digital noise from the headphone output (poor motherboard implementation) then the $9 Apple USB-C dongle (DAC) if you're in the US Market can competently run the DT 770 Pro.

Choose the motherboard with the best features in your budget.

DAC is a solved category.

If you think you need more power, or if you're uncomfortable with "turning up the volume so high" then all you need is a headphone amp like the Schiit Magni for ~$60 off their official website or $130 for the JDS Atom Amp 2. You would just feed a 3.5mm cable from the Apple DAC to the amp input. In this situation, it does not matter if you're in the US market or not.

Why would I have to be in the US market to acquire that dongle? It's also available here in Switzerland xD

2 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

Why would I have to be in the US market to acquire that dongle? It's also available here in Switzerland xD

International versions of the Apple dongle have half of the power output of the USA version. This is important if you use headphones directly from the dongle and treat it as a DAC/amp.

When used as just a DAC and feeding it into an amplifier, that power limitation no longer matters since the amplifier is capable are far more power than you need.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

hey, i am new to these audiophile stuffs , i bought my qkz hbb last aug and its truly a blessing to my ear compared to the cheap 4$ earphones and headphone but i dont know much about dac and other stuff which can enhance my experience , can you tell me more about it

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

International versions of the Apple dongle have half of the power output of the USA version. This is important if you use headphones directly from the dongle and treat it as a DAC/amp.

When used as just a DAC and feeding it into an amplifier, that power limitation no longer matters since the amplifier is capable are far more power than you need.

Oh, what, I didn't know... Would the international dongle then even do me any good?

5 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

Well, I have a Behringer XENXY Q802USB, but I just tried to plug my DT770 Pros into it, and I got no sound from it... And I don't wanna spend money on a headphone interface, if I already have one on my table, that technically should work. My mic works fine, but my headphones don't get sound on it.

Did you make sure Windows is recognizing the interface as Sound Output?

Just now, Fluuwu said:

Oh, what, I didn't know... Would the international dongle then even do me any good?

The main purpose of my post is that you don't need to bother considering the audio chip as a major deciding factor between 2 motherboards. It is very much a negligible point.

Well Apple dongle is a phenomenal DAC that measures better than other DACs 10x-20x its price, so it is still a fantastic DAC that pairs perfectly with amplifiers. It's just not a good headphone amplifier outside of the US.

1 minute ago, saintlouisbagels said:

The main purpose of my post is that you don't need to bother considering the audio chip as a major deciding factor between 2 motherboards. It is very much a negligible point.

Well Apple dongle is a phenomenal DAC that measures better than other DACs 10x-20x its price, so it is still a fantastic DAC that pairs perfectly with amplifiers. It's just not a good headphone amplifier outside of the US.

What would be a good alternative to the Apple dongle?

3 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Did you make sure Windows is recognizing the interface as Sound Output?

Yes, i think it is. At least it has the same name in brackets as my microphone.
Mic: "Mikrofon (2- USB Audio CODEC )
Out: "Lautsprecher (2- USB Audio CODEC )"

3 minutes ago, Shailesh Vats said:

hey, i am new to these audiophile stuffs , i bought my qkz hbb last aug and its truly a blessing to my ear compared to the cheap 4$ earphones and headphone but i dont know much about dac and other stuff which can enhance my experience , can you tell me more about it

You don't need need to know anything about DAC because it has been solved for a very long time. Its job is to convert digital information to analog. The sound from headphones, speakers, etc. You are hearing analog.

The $9 Apple USB-C dongle is the best value DAC in the US Market for iPhone and computers.

Alternatively, you can get the Anker USB-C dongle for Android phones.

You don't need to know anything about headphone amplifiers because you're not using a low sensitivity headphone. Their job is to increase the analog signal to a listenable volume.

A soundcard is a DAC/amp. Headphone ports you see on everything... they are all from soundcard.

4 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

What would be a good alternative to the Apple dongle?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803104278383.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

The Anker USB-C to 3.5mm dongle is also good.

2 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

You don't need need to know anything about DAC because it has been solved for a very long time. Its job is to convert digital information to analog. The sound from headphones, speakers, etc. You are hearing analog.

The $9 Apple USB-C dongle is the best value DAC in the US Market for iPhone and computers.

Alternatively, you can get the Anker USB-C dongle for Android phones.

You don't need to know anything about headphone amplifiers because you're not using a low sensitivity headphone. Their job is to increase the analog signal to a listenable volume.

A soundcard is a DAC/amp. Headphone ports you see on everything... they are all from soundcard.

oh i do have 3.5mm jack on my phone do i need a dongle too?

1 hour ago, Fluuwu said:

What about the "Meizu HiFi DAC"? Read that a lot..

Meizu Hifi Pro USB-C is good, I just don't where to buy it, or which Aliexpress SKU to trust..

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesale-meizu-hifi-pro.html?spm=a2g0o.home.search.0

13 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

The main electronics merchant in Switzerland has it available for 25$, guess i'd get it there

48 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

The main electronics merchant in Switzerland has it available for 25$, guess i'd get it there

Nice. It has a 1.75V output, so it’s actually better than the Apple dongle if you’re relying on it as a headphone amp.

Enjoy!

19 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Nice. It has a 1.75V output, so it’s actually better than the Apple dongle if you’re relying on it as a headphone amp.

Enjoy!

It might actually not be the Meizu one... The product title says "Meizu", but on the picture it says like "mblu"... guess i'll have to go for another one..

1 hour ago, Fluuwu said:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-mblu-lifeme-pro-portable-dac-amp-review.46550/

It's not excellent like the specific MEIZU Hifi Audio Pro model, but the SINAD is still "very good" and therefore humanly inaudible. Still good output of 1.5V.

I would say go for it.

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I would say go for it.

Ah okay, great then, that's what i'll go for if I can't bear the onboard audio, I'll have to wait and see on that one xD