Microsoft: Xbox PC Pass coming, PC should be open platform, Xbox PC games will also launch on Steam, AoE2 remaster announced

Delicieuxz

Hearing unexpected very positive news doesn't happen all that often, or at least for me, but this is one of the times that it has.

Microsoft's head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has written a post detailing Microsoft's new approach to gaming, and it's filled with interesting and positive news.

Topics talked about by Spencer include:

- Xbox Game Pass for PC

- Cross-platform and cross-network play as vital

- PC gamers' desire to have the PC be an open platform

- Pledge to get Microsoft games onto more PC games stores with a specific promise about Steam

- Announcement of Age of Empires 2 and 3 Definitive Editions

- Win32 is favoured by gamers and game developers, and full Win32 support will come to Microsoft Store

Our (Microsoft's) Approach to PC Gaming - Phil Spencer

As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing in experiences that benefit players everywhere, while respecting the PC community’s preference for an open, highly customizable platform.

We’ve not always lived up to our aspiration of keeping gamers at the center of everything we do when it comes to the experience they’ve had on Windows.

Today I’d like to share three steps we are taking to contribute to the thriving PC gaming ecosystem:

Xbox Game Pass for PC will give players unlimited access to a curated library of over 100 high-quality PC games on Windows 10, from well-known PC game developers and publishers such as Bethesda, Deep Silver, Devolver Digital, Paradox Interactive, SEGA, and more.

Enabling gamers to play together, through cross-platform play and cross-network play across Windows 10 PCs and console, is vitally important.

With that in mind, our intent is to make our Xbox Game Studios PC games available in multiple stores, including our own Microsoft Store on Windows, at their launch. We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games.

In March, we announced that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will come to PC later this year, launching on Steam in addition to the Microsoft Store on Windows. We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions. We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we’ve heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice. We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future.

We want to bring players together to create a shared player community regardless of where they play, so it’s our intent that new Xbox Game Studios titles include features such as voice and text chat, LFG, friends lists and cross-play across PC and console. On Windows 10 you’ll find this functionality in the Xbox Game Bar, which we’ll continue to evolve and expand.

We recognize that Win32 is the app format that game developers love to use and gamers love to play, so we are excited to share that we will be enabling full support for native Win32 games to the Microsoft Store on Windows. This will unlock more options for developers and gamers alike, allowing for the customization and control they’ve come to expect from the open Windows gaming ecosystem.

When I think about the role we play as a company to support and evolve gaming on Windows, it’s critical that we make decisions that reinforce the open nature of the PC, focusing on how best to unite players on all devices around the games they love. That philosophy will guide us as we introduce new ways to discover and play games on Windows.

These are just a few of our steps in a journey to contribute to gaming on Windows 10. We know that PC gamers want to see games, so I hope you’ll join us at our annual Xbox E3 2019 Briefing on Sunday, June 9 to hear more, including the amazing lineup of new games and offers coming to PC players.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

What? AoE 2 HD has been out for years - I have it on Steam...

Also "Xbox Game Studios" didn't exist when AoE 2 came out...

-edit-

the title originally said "AoE 2 HD", the "Definitive Edition" isn't out yet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I meant AoE2 Definitive Edition, like AoE1 Definitive Edition, but it took too much space in the title. I've changed it to AoE2 remaster now.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

HD isn't exactly a remaster, more of a port to modern OSes. They changed the water and a few things. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Microsoft's out for blood. Not for money, but for the notoriety and the clout. It's one of the things they're good at, tossing money at things that will lose them money but may benefit them in name recognition. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

glad MS is moving away from xbox exclusives, i just hope they put as much effort into the PC version as they do the Xbox version. some play anywhere titles are effectively unplayable on PC with all the crashes and generally buggy nature that is never the priority to fix.

Also if they are hell bent on giving us the option, please make the Microsoft store downloads not be buggy and download 110GB out of a 80GB game

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

57 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

HD isn't exactly a remaster, more of a port to modern OSes. They changed the water and a few things. 

The title said "AoE 2 HD" when I wrote that post

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i know a developer that says the win32 is no longer needed thanks to UWP.

i said UWP is just going to fail, due to the amount of win32 apps and support it has.

we did a wager, if Microsoft started to focus less on UWP and more on win32, he would create a discord API for the Pikachu programming language and create a bot that replys with "salv8 was right and %devname% was wrong" whenever someone says UWP in chat.

if not i would have to it it myself.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Win32 is favoured by gamers and game developers, and full Win32 support will come to Microsoft Store

this very line is going to make my days for the next coming weeks while he is making this...

i'm such an evil person.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I don't care, give me the Halo Master Chief edition already!

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I wonder if my old xbox360 data is still avaliable.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

glad MS is moving away from xbox exclusives, i just hope they put as much effort into the PC version as they do the Xbox version. some play anywhere titles are effectively unplayable on PC with all the crashes and generally buggy nature that is never the priority to fix.

Also if they are hell bent on giving us the option, please make the Microsoft store downloads not be buggy and download 110GB out of a 80GB game

Let's hope we don't see ports as poorly done as Halo 2 Vista, or Halo 1 PC (the port is actually quite broken graphically)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

IFKR

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

24 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

IFKR

As much as I would want it now, I would rather it be delayed and polished vs releasing a incomplete buggy mess.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Let's hope we don't see ports as poorly done as Halo 2 Vista, or Halo 1 PC (the port is actually quite broken graphically)

I agree on the Halo 2 front. The PC Edition was literally a straight port, with no modifications to the UI really. It even prompted you with Xbox controller buttons instead of whatever key was mapped, etc.

As for Halo 1, I owned that on PC too, and I don't remember any problems at all with that port. I don't recall any graphical issues. That might be a Windows 10 thing though (It was designed for XP).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Didn't they say that Halo Reach would drop on steam?

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

3 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

It supposed to be the first one to drop then halo 1,2.3 etc

This would be good news, if there was anything to play on Xbox :):)

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

37 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Yeah. It's part of the whole Master Chief Collection. They're releasing the games in narrative-chronological order, so Reach will be the first one out.

Here's some footage of the in-development PC version.

8 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

This would be good news, if there was anything to play on Xbox :):)

I think Microsoft doesn't think of Xbox as just the console, but their whole gaming division. Xbox Game Studios encompasses all their developer studios, including their PC developers.

Is Microsoft guessing that Epic could eventually encourage/migrate their shit to a Linux distro?

Because let me tell you: the one thing Valve didn't do and that would work fucking miracles for Linux adoption would be if Epic would pay cash up front to a bunch of devs to release games for their Linux distro for example.

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Microsoft's out for blood. Not for money, but for the notoriety and the clout. It's one of the things they're good at, tossing money at things that will lose them money but may benefit them in name recognition. 

They need to, they've spent the best part of the last 4 years or so ruining their image. Especially the Xbox brand. Only recently has it started to come back as they're merging Xbox and PC together instead of heavily separating the brand's. Also getting decent titles on Xbox.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4k Halo remaster for PC, or nothing.

With full settings menus. I want to make my 1080ti sweat a little.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

46 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

4k Halo remaster for PC, or nothing.

With full settings menus. I want to make my 1080ti sweat a little.

When they announced Master Chief for PC and Steam a while back, that was something they indicated they really wanted to do - really push the menu and graphics options to include as many details and settings as they could.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

When they announced Master Chief for PC and Steam a while back, that was something they indicated they really wanted to do - really push the menu and graphics options to include as many details and settings as they could.

Good.

Because I stopped playing at reach, and I'd like to replay the entire series, but in 4k ultra high settings.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Good.

Because I stopped playing at reach, and I'd like to replay the entire series, but in 4k ultra high settings.

I think the developers mention in the video I posted above that 4k support is in, even though they aren't playing the game at 4k in the video.

Here's one timestamp where 4k HDR is mentioned, but I recall another mention of it somewhere.

It's said here that the E3 build of Reach PC will have 4k 60 FPS, with unlocked FPS being worked on.