Bluetooth SIG, JEDEC, SD Association, and Wi-Fi Alliance reinstate Huawei - Update: US gov't grants exemptions

Delicieuxz

The Bluetooth, SD and Wi-Fi alliances, which stripped Huawei of membership after US President Donald Trump declared its products a national security risk, have reinstated the Chinese tech giant without any official announcements.

It turns out that the Chinese company was restored on the member lists of all three alliances, however. The reasons for the move are unclear, with the tech associations not commenting on it in any way. Huawei representatives have only said that their existing products won’t be affected by the US ban and would still support Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and secure digital (SD) cards.

A Huawei representative confirmed to Android Authority that the company’s membership with the SD Association was never outright cancelled — it was temporarily modified to ensure compliance with the U.S. Department of Commerce order.

No official word yet from the standards organizations on why Huawei was removed and reinstated. Maybe the removal was simply a precaution while they verified that there were no violations of the US' ban on Huawei. Or, maybe Huawei exercised some muscle behind the scenes to be reinstated, like threatening to ban US companies from using China's rare earth metals.

I think it's better to have Huawei participating in those standards.

June 2020 Update:

In an unexpected move, the U.S. government will ease some restrictions on Huawei, the Chinese telecommunications giant, and allow it to collaborate with U.S. companies on 5G and other international standards.

“The United States will not cede leadership in global innovation,” a statement attributed to U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross reads. “The department is committed to protecting U.S. national security and foreign policy interests by encouraging U.S. industry to fully engage and advocate for U.S. technologies to become international standards.”

Huawei is, of course, still blacklisted via its placement on the so-called Entity List. But this change means that U.S. companies are free to collaborate with Huawei on “important standards-developing activities.”

Under the rule, technology that would not have required a license to be disclosed to Huawei before the company’s placement on the Entity List can be disclosed for the purpose of standards development in a standards-development body without the need for an export license, the department says. It adds that the rule promotes U.S. national security and foreign policy interests by facilitating U.S. leadership in standards development bodies.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

JEDEC did as well. 

Thanks for the tip. Added it to the thread title.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

You guys are making me crave popcorn really badly. I think I'm going to go buy some right now.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You guys are making me crave popcorn really badly. I think I'm going to go buy some right now.

It reaches a point where all you can do is sit down and bask as you watch the world burn

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

They earn lots from Huawei for validation/certification of products, but will not risk harsh punishment for disobeying the orange man

Back to business once the giant has passed

meh, hopefully by the time anyone is able to contest this the orange man will just be a bad memory.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What did anyone expect? The market in China is much, much more untapped than that of the US.  China is expected to surpass the US economy in 2020. Doesn't really matter what happens in the US anymore with a market like that untapped and bigger than the US.

Not like Huawei cares about SD cards anyway.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

43 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of Huawei adding SD cards in their phones but rather, having Huawei being reinstated to use the SD standards such as the new SD Express which uses the PCIe 3.1 and NVME. This allows them to compete with the likes of Apple (uses NVME SSD) when it comes to data read and write speeds. 

https://www.sdcard.org/press/The_Fastest_MemoryCard_for_MobileDevices.pdf

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Im loving the show

Mark my words, a month wont pass, Arm will retheink their position. SoftBank (Japanese gov, but who cares) seems to be getting a bit upset with how renegotioation of TPP is going so it seems quite a good way to show defiance with plausable deniability.

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

They do. They rely technology from the org and also have many phones using cards.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of Huawei adding SD cards in their phones but rather, having Huawei being reinstated to use the SD standards such as the new SD Express which uses the PCIe 3.1 and NVME. This allows them to compete with the likes of Apple (uses NVME SSD) when it comes to data read and write speeds. 

https://www.sdcard.org/press/The_Fastest_MemoryCard_for_MobileDevices.pdf

Doesn't do anything for internal storage so not really the same product segment as Apple.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, Sauron said:

meh, hopefully by the time anyone is able to contest this the orange man will just be a bad memory.

The orange man also has some good policy's even if he doesn't come off as that intellectually bright. But oh boy politics...back to subject. Some crazy hate, some crazy love, some in-between (me)

8 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

The orange man also has some good policies

I disagree.

8 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

even if he doesn't come off as that intellectually bright.

Carrot Dude is not stupid. If he were he wouldn't be where he is. That doesn't make him a good Chief Veggie or a good human being.

9 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

But oh boy politics...back to subject. Some crazy hate, some crazy love, some in-between (me)

Well, you brought it up so here goes - there can't be an inbetween; apathy in the face of dangerous demagogues inevitably favors them. The only cure is decisive and swift rebuttal of every lie they spout.

Don't worry too much about politics gardening on the forum, it's usually fine if we keep it civil.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 hours ago, Evanair said:

What did anyone expect? The market in China is much, much more untapped than that of the US.  China is expected to surpass the US economy in 2020. Doesn't really matter what happens in the US anymore with a market like that untapped and bigger than the US.

Depends on which part of the economy you are more interested in, with GDP yes, but using purchasing power they are already the largest.  And since they have been privatizing business and moving to a more capitalist system their economy is growing very fast in both metrics. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/31/2019 at 4:16 PM, Sauron said:

Don't worry too much about politics gardening on the forum, it's usually fine if we keep it civil.

You do realize that you can refute someone when they lie and not immediately assert that they are turbohitler, right? I doubt you can find a politician alive who hasn't made some substantive lie at some point throughout their career. While it sucks that that is the standard, it doesn't mean that every policy that had ever been passed is automatically evil.

3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

You do realize that you can refute someone when they lie and not immediately assert that they are turbohitler, right?

Depends on what the lies are about.

3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

I doubt you can find a politician alive who hasn't made some substantive lie at some point throughout their career.

Most people have done something that is against the law at some point in their lives. I trust you don't consider everyone to be on the same level as an armed robber or worse.

6 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

While it sucks that that is the standard, it doesn't mean that every policy that had ever been passed is automatically evil.

I agree, yet that's completely beside the point. I specifically said "dangerous demagogues", not "politicians".

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've always found it kinda funny that they're using tech from the SD association but their flagships use their proprietary NM card. 

Also, fun fact: The SD logo was originally intended for the Super Density Disc format. After that was scrapped in favor of DVD, Toshiba used that logo for the Secure Digital format. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I've always found it kinda funny that they're using tech from the SD association but their flagships use their proprietary NM card. 

Also, fun fact: The SD logo was originally intended for the Super Density Disc format. After that was scrapped in favor of DVD, Toshiba used that logo for the Secure Digital format. 

The NM cards are just proprietary SD cards in a different form factor.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:16 PM, Sauron said:

The only cure is decisive and swift rebuttal of every lie they spout.

Which would be fine if we had a media that actually called out both sides of the aisle, instead of focusing on one side while covering for the other.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) also: Engineering body reverses Huawei ban after outcry in China