What pisses you off with PC building?

What pisses you off with PC building?

Miners and scalpers.

I have an Amazon cart filled with all the parts I need for an awesome build but no gpu.

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Non-removeable batteries in laptops.

The nasty (thanks Apple!) trend of thinner! Thinner! THINNER!!! at the expense of upgradability.

YES!! I totally agree with you on that!!!

My Unibody MacBook Pro 15 from 2012, I had to replace the battery inside and it was simple; unscrew the back cover, disconnect battery, remove battery screws, replace and repeat in the reverse order. My MacBook Pro 13 2014, you'll have to use adhesive remover to remove the battery...I hope that day will never come!

Especially phones, I remember putting bigger batteries in phones to make them last longer and it was great! Nowadays, not so much. 

Now to the question what pisses me off:

• Miners/scalpers ripping prices over consumers-just don't buy from scalpers. 
  • Getting drivers to work correctly. 
  • Cable management but I've been starting to love it after the outcome I've had with my PC recently (I tried this time after replacing my case). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:44 PM, NineEyeRon said:

People who buy an NVME M.2, OP PSU and RGB everything then can’t afford a decent GPU and CPU...

How hard is a 250GB SATA SSD for OS, 1TB SATA SSD for games and a 2TB HDD... 

Then just buy the recommended PSU for your GPU. 

250gb? i barely mange with a 512 but that cause the adobe suit is a pain in arse.

18 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

250gb? i barely mange with a 512 but that cause the adobe suit is a pain in arse.

If you know you need more then you know you need more.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

If you know you need more then you know you need more.

I always need more 😄

Im gonna buy one or two, 1tb gen 4 (along with a few hard drives) when they come down in price to "reasonable" which will be in a year-18 months or so.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, MorbidNature said:

products that don't have magnetic screws!

having magnets near circuitry is not the best thing although in most  occasions with PC hardware it will not prove to be harmful it is better to avoid that, it is better to have a magnetic screw driver instead (and decide when to use it instead of a normal one) 

Forgetting to put the IO shield (why can everyone just have it premounted is beyond me!)

because then what happens if you want to put the mobo in a non standard casing? Or in case it gets damaged what would you do then? replace the whole motherboard or live with it as is? 

they could have it premounted though and add the ability to eject the shield if needed but that costs money (a few cents maybe a couple of bucks ) which greedy manufacturers frown upon 😛 unless they already charge you e.g $300 to $500 for a mobo lol 

PC parts that still use Molex connectors - it's useless!!! SATA works just perfectly and there is an actual reason for it in a modern build

There is a reason of backwards compatibility + you can feed multiple devices from a single molex while you cant do the same out of a sata power  connection. 

Obviously sata cables have their own advantages such as lower impedance and 3.3v rail (which is rarely used on the other hand) 

----------------------------

As for what grinds my gears? PRICES I hate paying more for the same or lower quality stuff (speed is not a factor included since it applies on specific hardware e.g CPU/GPU/RAM which doesnt apply to e.g cases or coolers etc) and should be a given a newer generation device should be more performant compared to last gen otherwise why to have a new gen in the first place it's how computer technology worked for decades now  (new gen faster at the same or lower price while last gen getting a significant pricedrop) with the exception of the recent years 

Spending days researching for the perfect parts, down to the exact model, only for you to get those parts and have issues. My fellow Linux users will know this pain all too well. You will run into issues that nobody else has run into\posted about, even though the reviews and comments on the countless sites you spend so much time reading through are perfect.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

SATA ports under the GPU. 

Also, the fact that I am getting lazy and pre-builts are look better and better . . .

Just now, descendency said:

SATA ports under the GPU.

If they face sideways, it's fine.

If they face up though...

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

If they face sideways, it's fine.

If they face up though...

Even sideways is annoying when you have a long enough card. 

Just now, descendency said:

Even sideways is annoying when you have a long enough card. 

Are you using a 3090 or a mini ITX board?

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Are you using a 3090 or a mini ITX board?

2080TI on a ATX board, but some of my SATA ports are literally under the card.

1 minute ago, descendency said:

2080TI on a ATX board, but some of my SATA ports are literally under the card.

Huh.

I've got a decently big card (maybe 0.5mm smaller than a 3070 FE) and I don't have that problem.

Are you using an AIB card?

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Huh.

I've got a decently big card (maybe 0.5mm smaller than a 3070 FE) and I don't have that problem.

Are you using an AIB card?

Nvidia branded one, but I've had this problem for ages. I just hate when I have to fight my way through the cables to plug in a random drive. That said, I have gotten smarter and just plug all of my cables in first and then hide them in the case until I need them. 

Honestly its kinda crazy how expensive monitors are imo, and not only that but just having a reasonable monitor is hard. I don't want some 1080p 240hz TN monitor with shitty colors... I want a 1080p 60hz panel with good contrast, brightness, and color accuracy, but you just can't find those things... I managed to get lucky and find a really nice 1440p 75hz Lenovo panel but that was after months of looking, There aren't any monitors that are just good quality, its either crappy cheap office monitors, balls to the wall fps "gaming" 1080p gaming monitors with crappy screens, or ridiculous top of the line 1440/4k monitors that cost me more than my entire computer combined...

On 2/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, wisex said:

Honestly its kinda crazy how expensive monitors are imo, and not only that but just having a reasonable monitor is hard. I don't want some 1080p 240hz TN monitor with shitty colors... I want a 1080p 60hz panel with good contrast, brightness, and color accuracy, but you just can't find those things... I managed to get lucky and find a really nice 1440p 75hz Lenovo panel but that was after months of looking, There aren't any monitors that are just good quality, its either crappy cheap office monitors, balls to the wall fps "gaming" 1080p gaming monitors with crappy screens, or ridiculous top of the line 1440/4k monitors that cost me more than my entire computer combined...

Dell Ultrasharps is what you seek. They nearly all, or all, use LG panels, all are IPS panels, they look modern (in my opinion), have the best on screen menu (again, in my opinion). Decent uniform backlight. What's not the like? (beside HDR, freesync/G-SYNC, 144Hz+, etc)

They are often on special, and they can drop the drop the price just by asking over the phone or maybe chat, if it's not on special. (Although, now with the high demand from work from home... maybe not, but worth a shot).

Lenovo is good too.. well not everything, they have garbage, but they have IPS like the one you got. Probably also uses an  LG panel

Cases where the motherboard cutout dosent at all align with where the cpu socket is

Ive had both itx and atx cases and motherboards and i have never encountered a time where i didnt have to dissaseble the whole thing to swap out a cpu cooler.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, Sealance said:

Lack of funds :D

That,

and that it sometimes takes hours to build because you don't want to rush it or have cables just going everywhere in your case..

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Slicing my hands and the front panel connectors. Man those things always slip out of my hands. And also, different power supplies. Like why can't we stick to 8 pin or 4 pin. 

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

• 2 weeks later...

Something that ground my gears was when I got my graphics card which was specifically low profile  , shipping with the full height bracket attached and with the low profile one in the box. Yes people may buy cards that are low profile because of budget and availability but I believe that majority of people who would buy a low profile card buy it because it needs to fit in a small case so why fit it with the full height bracket.   

1 minute ago, DriftMan said:

whatever, you don't have to buy one

also, because they are sometimes cheaper GPUs for office use so there's no reason to not have a full bracket, it's just few cents from the manufacturer and a huge extra for owners

No I'm totally fine with having a full height bracket what I mean is how in my experience the full height one is attached to the card but the 1/2 height is in the box and you have to install the card when it is specifically low profile.

just bricked my motherboard by updating the bios

didn't power off or do anything, it just bricked after the update ended

why cant manufacturer get it right? it's not rocket science.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately