What pisses you off with PC building?

Just wanted to ask everyone what pisses them off about PC building can anything doesn't matter how big/small..

I'll  start off

1. products that don't have magnetic screws!
  2. Forgetting to put the IO shield (why can everyone just have it premounted is beyond me!)
  3. PC parts that still use Molex connectors - it's useless!!! SATA works just perfectly and there is an actual reason for it in a modern build
  4. the fact that you have to install at least 3 different application just to manage you RGB on a normal build (unlike most tech youtuber that get everything from the same vendor)

There is a bunch more but that's enough from me... :)

Thermal compound application.

Every time I apply thermal compound even though I know exactly how much I should be applying, I always get paranoid about whether the compound shifted around whilst I bolt down the cooler.

Thermal compound is also the one liquid that I've experienced with in PC building, so I'm cautious about getting it on my hands and other objects, it's icky to work with.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

4 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Just wanted to ask everyone what pisses them off about PC building can anything doesn't matter how big/small..

I'll  start off

1. products that don't have magnetic screws!
  2. Forgetting to put the IO shield (why can everyone just have it premounted is beyond me!)
  3. PC parts that still use Molex connectors - it's useless!!! SATA works just perfectly and there is an actual reason for it in a modern build
  4. the fact that you have to install at least 3 different application just to manage you RGB on a normal build (unlike most tech youtuber that get everything from the same vendor)

There is a bunch more but that's enough from me... :)

1. Get a magnetic screw driver
  2. Every motherboard has different IO layout.You can't have it pre-mounted. Although some motherboard now started to have it mounted on the motherboard itself.
  3. Molex connector is cheaper, and provides a better connection than SATA power. SATA power was designed for easy plug and unplug for hot swappable drives (hence the extra pins). It is also smaller. You don't want it to unplug in the case. Molex doesn't unplug itself if properly connected. With M.2 drive taking the place of drives, why should we still have SATA power cable?
  4. Every manufacture wants you to be locked in to their products. How about not using RGB?

On 5/30/2019 at 8:25 AM, seoz said:

Thermal compound application.

Every time I apply thermal compound even though I know exactly how much I should be applying, I always get paranoid about whether the compound shifted around whilst I bolt down the cooler.

You can spread it. Use a clean card (or whatever similar that can act as a spreader) to spread an even coat of the thermal paste on both sides (CPU and heatsink). This guarantees a full coverage of the chip.

Trying to reach anything on the top part of a mobo after fitting a big air cooler. I still have the scars to show for it...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You can spread it. Use a clean card or clean brush to spread an even coat of the thermal paste on both sides. This guarantees a full coverage of the chip.

I've heard this method tends to lead to air bubbles so I've always just relied on the cooler pressure doing the work for me, which now that I think of it, is quite detrimental to my application.

My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut came with a spreader splatula but I've been afraid to use it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, GoodBytes said:
  1. Get a magnetic screw driver
  2. Every motherboard has different IO layout.You can't have it pre-mounted. Although some motherboard now started to have it mounted on the motherboard itself.
  3. Molex connector is cheaper, and provides a better connection than SATA power. SATA power was designed for easy plug and unplug for hot swappable drives (hence the extra pins). It is also smaller. You don't want it to unplug in the case. Molex doesn't unplug itself if properly connected. With M.2 drive taking the place of drives, why should we still have SATA power cable?
  4. Every manufacture wants you to be locked in to their products. How about not using RGB?

1. I have several magnetic screwdrivers, some PC part comes with NON-MAGNETIC (which is why i said it that why) screws. An example i recently bought a PCI express to 2 USB 3.0 Header (since my MB only has one), and it came with NONmagnetic screws that regardless of how much you try they will not stick.

2. the fact reminds that a lot of high-end board have their IO shield built it, why isnt that the standard what reason should there to mount it?!

4. I don't but turning it off especially where there is a power outage requires 3 types of software

A board without enough fan headers. As a result I need to use a fan hub, which causes a cable mess (only 3 headers with speed control, but I have 8 fans).

18 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Forgetting to put the IO shield (why can everyone just have it premounted is beyond me!)

the one that comes with my board doesnt fit my case anyway, I just leave that out for ventilation

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

16 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Those power and reset cables.  So small; my hands are too meaty.

This!  So glad some motherboards come with the adapter thing now.  I could always guarantee I'd get one or two of them wrong when doing them in the past :(

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Screws that look the same but have different thread. It's technically not so bad - allows you to choose what kind of screws you want to use (I'm pretty deep in Thumbscrew Master Race these days), so perhaps I should instead be upset that different parts use different threads? Anyway, don't make me pay attention, gosh darn it! Flips an IO shield with cut, bloody fingers!

- When a case is made without ample room for cable management (mainly for the 24 pin cable)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

not having enough space for your hands to fit in the case if things go wrong and you already installed everything. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Building is OK but configurating my PC is tiring tbh. 

34 minutes ago, seoz said:

I've heard this method tends to lead to air bubbles so I've always just relied on the cooler pressure doing the work for me, which now that I think of it, is quite detrimental to my application.

My Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut came with a spreader splatula but I've been afraid to use it.

Only if you put a thick layer. You just want a layer thin enough to hide the text on the chip.

Note: The suggested method assumes you are using a heatsink with flat bottom.

Example:
Heatsink_Bottom2_02.jpg

If you are using the ones that has exposed heatpipes one, then this method, from my testing is not good (probably can cause issue due to the uneven base plate. Or you probably need to put a layer that is thicker to cover the crack between the plate and heatpipes.. not sure, its been to long)

Bad CPU Cooler mounting mechanics.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Too many fan and RGB cables. And too many RGB controllers that need stupid molex to power it. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

I also agree with cable management being the worst part of building PCs.

Otherwise... troubleshooting why a brand new pc doesn't work would tick me off as well. (Luckily this has never happened... yet)

37 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

1. I have several magnetic screwdrivers, some PC part comes with NON-MAGNETIC (which is why i said it that why) screws. An example i recently bought a PCI express to 2 USB 3.0 Header (since my MB only has one), and it came with NONmagnetic screws that regardless of how much you try they will not stick.

Oh... that is interesting...

2. the fact reminds that a lot of high-end board have their IO shield built it, why isnt that the standard what reason should there to mount it?!

Well it costs money to have it pre-mounted on the motherboard, if you getting a more budget friendly motherboard, then corner have to be cut, sadly. Sure, you might favor having it built-in over having another feature or 2, but I think the general public would not mind the minor inconvenience once in every.. say.. typically 5 years over gaining 1 or 2 features.

4. I don't but turning it off especially where there is a power outage requires 3 types of software

Get a soldering iron and pull out the LED's or get a enclosed cased, lol.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh... that is interesting...

Well it costs money to have it pre-mounted on the motherboard, if you getting a more budget friendly motherboard, then corner have to be cut, sadly. Sure, you might favor having it built-in over having another feature or 2, but I think the general public would not mind the minor inconvenience once in every.. say.. typically 5 years over gaining 1 or 2 features.

Get a soldering iron and pull out the LED's or get a enclosed cased, lol.

If someone told me, Pay 5 bucks extra to have the IO shield mounted I would pay that in a heartbeat (probably costs them a lot less than that) as would most folks i think.