MSI will support ZEN2 on 300 series motherboards, models to come in the future

Bouzoo

Now, take this first with grain of salt, no official statement has been made, but seems that MSI might not support ZEN2 on 300 series motherboards. This is based on a support e-mail from MSI. Why I say with grain of salt, no statement yet, maybe it was just a misinformed staff member.

The customer asks if X370-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM will support AM4 with a BIOS update, the staff member says no, you will need X470 or B450. 

Image (in german):

EHAX8x01TIhw219K.jpg

Most 300-series motherboards, including from MSI, even ship with USB BIOS Flashback feature to help with forwards compatibility. Unfortunately, motherboard companies such as MSI care more about their bottom-lines than the consumer. In a support e-mail to an X370 XPower Titanium owner, MSI confirmed that MSI will not extend Zen 2 support to AMD 300-series. Motherboard vendors could follow MSI's suit as a representative of another motherboard vendor, on condition of anonymity, told TechPowerUp that "Zen 2" processors have steeper electrical requirements that 300-series motherboards don't meet. This is an excuse similar to the one Intel gave for the planned obsolescence of its 100-series and 200-series chipsets, even as it was repeatedly proven that those motherboards can run and overclock 9th generation processors with custom firmware just fine.

Now this is a hostile article if I ever saw one. What do you think? True or fake news? I don't buy it. 

Source

Reddit og source

EDIT: Since a lot people disagree and not to go off topic, removed the "controversial" part

EDIT2: courtesy of @Ithanul

https://www.techpowerup.com/254669/msi-issues-clarification-on-next-gen-amd-cpu-support-on-300-series-motherboards

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It may be true but generally don't trust the word of social media reps and first level support. They're not privy to this kind of information until it's official and sometimes not even when it's official because the chain of information sucks.

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

but seems that MSI, who is widely regarded as having the best motherboards for Ryzen atm

wut. 

Sure, MSI has pretty much best B450 boards for Ryzen, but their B350 were nothing special, X370 were pretty average (borderline bad), X470 boards don't stand out of the bunch either

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Trixanity said:

It may be true but generally don't trust the word of social media reps and first level support. They're not privy to this kind of information until it's official and sometimes not even when it's official because the chain of information sucks.

That's my take, and as someone who worked in CS, spot on. 

Even if this turns out to be true, the article is a quite harsh.

This isn't necessarily an easy thing to do given the massive changes in zen 2. Besides, one can ask if it's even worth it, seeing the features you'll probably be losing out on with a 300 series board anyway.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

20 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

wut. 

Sure, MSI has pretty much best B450 boards for Ryzen, but their B350 were nothing special, X370 were pretty average (borderline bad), X470 boards don't stand out of the bunch either

400 series are a blast, and if you look at every single recommendation from a credible media, most boards are MSI. I did personally few 300 builds with MSI, worked like a charm. Their lineup is either pretty good, like B450, or they still have a pretty good contender with other chipsets, like X370 which you don't like (like pro carbon). Not standing out does not make them bad. B350 Tomahawk was a budget king and B350 Krait an OC champion. I am gonna make a bold statement that they have most actually good boards all around.

17 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

400 series are a blast, and if you look at every single recommendation from a credible media, most boards are MSI. I did personally few 300 builds with MSI, worked like a charm. Their lineup is either pretty good, like B450, or they still have a pretty good contender with other chipsets, like X370 which you don't like (like pro carbon). Not standing out does not make them bad. B350 Tomahawk was a budget king and B350 Krait an OC champion. I am gonna make a bold statement that they have most actually good boards all around.

Hmmm - not sure.

Best X470 board goes to Asus (Crosshair VII) or ASrock (Taichii) - MSI is not in contention. Crosshair VII is already overkill for the CPUs they're suppose to handle and Taichii boards are amazing and they are pretty much the same as the X370 versions so MSI isn't in contention there either.

B450 boards MSI has a good shout with the Tomahawk and Carbon Pro.

B350 - I don't remember MSI being that good and actually having issues with some of their boards although I can't recall which right now.

Point is MSI aren't bad but they are in no way regarded as the best motherboard manufacturer for AM4 or even LGA 1151 but that's not the point here.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

7 minutes ago, xandredu said:

Hmmm - not sure.

Best X470 board goes to Asus (Crosshair VII) or ASrock (Taichii) - MSI is not in contention. Crosshair VII is already overkill for the CPUs they're suppose to handle and Taichii boards are amazing and they are pretty much the same as the X370 versions so MSI isn't in contention there either.

B450 boards MSI has a good shout with the Tomahawk and Carbon Pro.

B350 - I don't remember MSI being that good and actually having issues with some of their boards although I can't recall which right now.

Point is MSI aren't bad but they are in no way regarded as the best motherboard manufacturer for AM4 or even LGA 1151 but that's not the point here.

It is not the point yes.

For X470 Asus is hero (no pun intended), but Carbon Pro and Gaming Titanium are still pretty good, they are just not better than Asus or Aorus Gaming 7 for that matter. Those are just better. B450 we can all agree, on B350 Tomahawk was pretty darn good for the price, but we're not talking that here, but the Krait had a X370 VRM design and it could OC arguably the best in B350 range. I did 2 Tomahawk B350 build, worked like a charm, even on OC RAM and CPU, though mild OCs due to cooler. We could argue probably for hours but that is for another time. 

51 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

wut. 

Not to mention linux support, they actively blocking the development of the temperature monitoring for instance...

55 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

-MSI, who is widely regarded as having the best motherboards for Ryzen atm-

Other people in the existing discussion probably know more than me (I haven't been following the most recent motherboards much), but that seems really far-fetched. When I was buying Ryzen 1, MSI was the bottom of the roost; Worst VRMs, no real stand-out features, and memory support issues that lasted too long after everyone else got their shit together.

Nothing against MSI, I assume they've gotten quite a lot better about Ryzen since that rough start, but... I really have no idea what group you're speaking for.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

MSI has a terrible software support. So I wouldn't be surprised. It took them months to release Spectre/Meltdown BIOS which ended up being bugged and caused severe stability issues. That was back in June 2018. It hasn't been updated since for my MSI X99 Gaming 7. Which is far from cheap entry level board. I don't think I'll buy MSI again. ASUS on the other hand always provided very long term support. Not sure about Gigabyte/AORUS...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Not sure about Gigabyte/AORUS...

I've been fairly pleased with mine.  They're not as good about BIOS updates as Asus is, but they generally keep on top of things.  And aside from having some very random (but sparse) lockups on my first x370 board - something that cleared itself up eventually - I can't complain.

As for the article, while it's certainly possible that MSI could decide to abandon AGESA updates for the first gen Ryzen boards, I'd hardly take the word of a first level customer support tech.  No offense to anyone who works in those positions, but most people who do have never even seen the inside of computer before.  They mainly only know what's on their response chart, and if it's not there then they don't have an answer.

I saw this in the news separately but I don't think it has any merit. AMD may not yet hold the sway Intel does but they aren't going to let MSI just fuck them over like that. It was always planned that AM4 (and appropriate chipsets) would support later generations of Ryzen. This is something MSI knew and probably agreed to or will have to agree to if they want to be allowed to make AM4 mobos

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I saw this in the news separately but I don't think it has any merit. AMD may not yet hold the sway Intel does but they aren't going to let MSI just fuck them over like that. It was always planned that AM4 (and appropriate chipsets) would support later generations of Ryzen. This is something MSI knew and probably agreed to or will have to agree to if they want to be allowed to make AM4 mobos

It's only some of the B350s and A320s that might get into issues. But what they could do is offer split BIOS options. And/or drop Bristol Ridge.

27 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's only some of the B350s and A320s that might get into issues. But what they could do is offer split BIOS options. And/or drop Bristol Ridge.

Possibly limit them to single chiplet sku's or something, I dont think AMD will allow them to just not support Ryzen 3000 at all.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Apart form the fact it's not a very good source, it wouldn't surprise me if older motherboards physically couldn't support all the features of newer CPU's, it's never been a thing in the past and until actually becomes a thing there is no reason to assume it will or can. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Apart form the fact it's not a very good source, it wouldn't surprise me if older motherboards physically couldn't support all the features of newer CPU's, it's never been a thing in the past and until actually becomes a thing there is no reason to assume it will or can. 

The thing is, AMD a while ago confirmed that AM4 on 300 series will work with Zen2, hence why everyone expects it. I don't see a reason why even cheaper MBOs might not support it. Unless OEM drops support so no BIOS update or something like that. On architectural level they should have the same basic features to support Zen2 all around. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, AMD a while ago confirmed that AM4 on 300 series will work with Zen2, hence why everyone expects it. I don't see a reason why even cheaper MBOs might not support it. Unless OEM drops support so no BIOS update or something like that. On architectural level they should have the same basic features to support Zen2 all around. 

Being able to work and being fully supported are not the same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Obviously full support is not expected, since we do get new things with every chipset. We are talking about the possibility of not working at all here, not even supporting the chipset on OEM level. 

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Obviously full support is not expected, since we do get new things with every chipset. We are talking about the possibility of not working at all here, not even supporting the chipset on OEM level. 

Then why did you quote me?

16 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

They said the same for Zen+ support and yet Ryzen 2600X works exactly the same on X370 as it does on X470. Absolutely no measurable difference.

This is kind of infuriating. The launch of a new line of processors from AMD has meant a new line of motherboards. Previous motherboards are given bios updates to allow older motherboards compatibility with next-gen processors (provided they are compatible with the socket type, of course.) The refusal to release a new line of motherboards is one thing, but an outright refusal to allow ryzen users to upgrade is another. MSI has no right to screw their buyers over like that. If this email is true, my opinion of MSI as a company will drop severely.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Then why did you quote me?

Because apparently I misunderstood you as you meaning "there is no reason to believe they will support Zen2". Misunderstanding you is apparently my thing.