AMD Ryzen 3000 Paired with Nvidia Turing in Upcoming Asus Laptops

D2e-JXb7-UYAADUTv.png

In what might seem like an odd combination, AMD's AMD's Picasso APUs (accelerated processing units) have been spotted with Nvidia's Turing-powered graphics cards in Asus' upcoming FX505DU, GU502DU and GU502DV gaming laptops. With the release of its latest Ryzen H-series gaming chips, AMD is finally gaining favor from laptop manufacturers. According to the 3DMark leaks, Asus' FX505DU and GU502DU will feature AMD Ryzen 5 3550H and Ryzen 7 3750H, respectively. The two Ryzen 3000-series parts are expected to be based on AMD's Zen+ processor microarchitecture and fabbed by GlobalFoundries on the 12nm process node.

Based on the posting, the Ryzen 5 3550H and Ryzen 7 3750H are each equipped with four cores, eight threads, 6MB of L3 cache and a 35W TDP (thermal design power) rating. The Ryzen 5 chip clocks in at 2.1GHz with a 3.7GHz boost, while the Ryzen 7 chip features a 2.3GHz base clock and 4GHz boost clock. The first comes with AMD's Vega 10 graphics with a boost clock up to 1,400MHz, and the latter employs Vega 8 graphics with a 1,200MHz boost clock. The Ryzen 3000-series APUs are reportedly hooking up with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. At the time of writing, Nvidia hasn't announced a mobile (laptop) version of the GTX 1660 Ti. However, this 3DMark leak suggests there will be a Max-Q version of the GPU.

The thought of a AMD's Zen+ CPU microarchitecture and Nvidia's Turing GPU microarchitecture coming together certainly intrigues us. We can't wait to see the level of performance and pricing on this apparently upcoming generation of gaming laptops.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-nvidia-gtx-asus-laptops,38913.html

Source 2: 

Very interesting stuff to say the least. Not just the fact that if we are seeing entries for a mobile Ryzen 3000 chip, release for it (and the desktop variants) should be coming soon. But also, to see a manufacturer like ASUS provide a SKU on their laptops that combines an AMD Processor with an NVIDIA video card is quite surprising. From what I know, only one other like it exists, the ASUS Z570ZD, and it is lacking availability (basically is nonexistent). Hopefully, we see such combinations become the norm with future Ryzen 2 products, to allow the consumer more options and choices, and also with other manufacturers besides ASUS. 

The efficiency increase of these AMD processors is likely to blow coffee lake mobile out of the water, and while ice lake is shown to be very efficient as well, it's also low power so not gaming ready (restricted to Y SKUs if I recall) which should force Intel to really get on it. I foresee a few contracts for laptop processors being terminated this year, or at the very least some new ones for AMD.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3000 series mobile cpus doesn't tell us that the desktop cpus are coming out soon because they are on entirely different manufacturing processes and different architectures.

If these laptops end up having good thermals, nice chassis design/build quality, decent battery life (non-gaming ofc), and are fairly reasonably priced, I think I may be in for an upgrade....

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

6 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Based on the posting, the Ryzen 5 3550H and Ryzen 7 3750H are each equipped with four cores, eight threads, 6MB of L3 cache and a 35W TDP (thermal design power) rating. The Ryzen 5 chip clocks in at 2.1GHz with a 3.7GHz boost, while the Ryzen 7 chip features a 2.3GHz base clock and 4GHz boost clock.

35W TDP for a 4 core? that's odd.. Zen+ doesn't seem to scale down well

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The efficiency increase of these AMD processors is likely to blow coffee lake mobile out of the water, and while ice lake is shown to be very efficient as well, it's also low power so not gaming ready (restricted to Y SKUs if I recall) which should force Intel to really get on it. I foresee a few contracts for laptop processors being terminated this year, or at the very least some new ones for AMD.

its only zen+ so its only 5-15% more efficient then last gen.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

has AMD done mobile CPUs that aren't APUs so far? o_o general question

I don't think so, but why would they? Has Intel done that with their mobile chips?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

its only zen+ so its only 5-15% more efficient then last gen.

First gen Ryzen already beat Intel in efficiency, even a small double digits increase is very significant, especially for a laptop, considering battery life.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

I suspect the AMD TDP rating means something different to Intels. I would expect those CPU’s to run at or close to full turbo clocks for that 35w when doing CPU only tasks. I don’t think you considered that the 35w includes the powerful (comparatively) iGPU.

This is it boys, we finally arrived, the future, what happens in the 90s with hardware and significant spec improvements is going to happen again soon, but at a much much much larger scale, 128 gb of ram in a conventional family pc in the next decade, mark my words.

22 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

well you have the 65 watt 8 core 1700 at 3 jiggies. and the CPUs hold TDP/Power quite well compared to spec. so it does scale rather well before it hits its voltage curve at 3,7 (Zen 1 that is, not Zen+)

Edited by GoldenLag

10 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

I suspect the AMD TDP rating means something different to Intels. I would expect those CPU’s to run at or close to full turbo clocks for that 35w when doing CPU only tasks. I don’t think you considered that the 35w includes the powerful (comparatively) iGPU.

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well you have the 65 watt 8 core 1700 at 3 jiggies. and the CPUs hold TDP/Power quite well compared to spec. so it doesnt scale rather well before it hits its voltage curve at 3,7 (Zen 1 that is, not Zen+)

Ryzen 7 2700U has a 15W TDP though, what's up with that? that's why I said Zen+ doesn't seem to scale down well

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The efficiency increase of these AMD processors is likely to blow coffee lake mobile out of the water,

I think it's way too early to form any opinions on these new CPU's.  I'll wait for actual data before I start getting excited. 

1 minute ago, BobbyPdue said:

I think it's way to early to form any opinions on these new CPU's.  I'll wait for actual data before I start getting excited. 

I was already disappointed by mobile coffee lake, any small improvement to ryzen is hype worthy to me because it means improvement from someone.

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC:

I'd guess this is lead by Intel's likely ongoing CPU shortages. In the lower end gaming laptops it just needs to be good enough, a slot usually taken by Intel quad core without HT. 

1 minute ago, BobbyPdue said:

I think it's way too early to form any opinions on these new CPU's.  I'll wait for actual data before I start getting excited. 

It's Zen+. We already know how they perform in general. There is nothing new here.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

These are Picasso APUs. This is the 12nm respin of the Raven Ridge APUs. These aren't 7nm parts. Those are late 2019 for desktop version with mobile somewhere probably Q1 2020.

Just now, porina said:

It's Zen+. We already know how they perform in general. There is nothing new here.

we could in theory use a R5 2600, disable 2 cores and underclock untill we have 35 watts of powerdraw to see how its long workload performance should be. 

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I was already disappointed by mobile coffee lake, any small improvement to ryzen is hype worthy to me because it means improvement from someone.

depending on the price, these 3000 series mobile APUs could be awsome for cheap, long batterylife laptops. say something like a Surface Go device. 

Watch them pull a nvidia and make the 3000 cpus only for laptops, like nvidia made the 800 series a laptop only GPU...

5 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Ryzen 7 2700U has a 15W TDP though, what's up with that? that's why I said Zen+ doesn't seem to scale down well

i meant to write it scales well untill it hits it voltage curve. 

meaning it scales well down in clocks

Just now, Juniiii said:

Watch them pull a nvidia and make the 3000 cpus only for laptops, like nvidia made the 800 series a laptop only GPU...

um......

you know these are Zen + parts right? we have had those for like 10-11 months for desktop. 

the only thing new is the APU part. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

we could in theory use a R5 2600, disable 2 cores and underclock untill we have 35 watts of powerdraw to see how its long workload performance should be. 

depending on the price, these 3000 series mobile APUs could be awsome for cheap, long batterylife laptops. say something like a Surface Go device. 

Laptop makers can set how they perform, as a note. 

I am curious to see how the low-power mode with Vega iGPU goes. First gen Ryzen laptops had some real issues with power management. (That was on the motherboard manufacturers.) 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

depending on the price, these 3000 series mobile APUs could be awsome for cheap, long batterylife laptops. say something like a Surface Go device

A surface device with an AMD processor would be a pretty big deal

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um......

you know these are Zen + parts right? we have had those for like 10-11 months for desktop. 

the only thing new is the APU part. 

My bad, I was thinking this was a leak for the upcoming CPUs...

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

A surface device with an AMD processor would be a pretty big deal

dont think there will be anything untill Zen 2 mobile parts at least. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I am curious to see how the low-power mode with Vega iGPU goes. First gen Ryzen laptops had some real issues with power management. (That was on the motherboard manufacturers.) 

hopefully idlepower is good. its one of the things ive been sceptical about when looking at these laptops.

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

My bad, I was thinking this was a leak for the upcoming CPUs...

they are new upcomming CPUs, but they are not 7nm Zen 2 parts that we are waiting for

https://www.ebuyer.com/864957-asus-tuf-fx505dy-rx560x-gaming-laptop-fx505dy-al006t

I saw the above laptop in a promotional e-mail earlier. If I were shopping for a budget gaming laptop today, I think this is interesting, 

AMD Ryzen R5-3550H 2.1GHz

8GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD

15.6" Full HD IPS 120Hz

AMD Radeon Vega RX560X 4GB

£730 (indicative US$800 but comparisons across countries are always difficult).

For comparison, about a year ago I got a £600 laptop, 7300HQ, 8GB ram, 240GB SSD, no HD, 60Hz TN display, 1050 2GB. I'm not sure how a RX560X stacks against a 1050, but freesync IPS, more CPU threads (unknown clock) makes this interesting.

I guess nvidia will still be the choice for higher performing gaming laptops, at a price.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible