AirPods 2 electric boogaloo

Shreyas1

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/03/airpods-the-worlds-most-popular-wireless-headphones-are-getting-even-better/

Cupertino, California — Apple today announced new AirPods, the second generation of the world’s most popular wireless headphones. AirPods revolutionized the wireless audio experience with a breakthrough design and the new AirPods build on the magical experience customers love. The new Apple-designed H1 chip, developed specifically for headphones, delivers performance efficiencies, faster connect times, more talk time and the convenience of hands-free "Hey Siri.” AirPods come with either a standard charging case or a new Wireless Charging Case for convenient charging at home and on the go. The new AirPods and AirPods with Wireless Charging Case are available to order on apple.com and the Apple Store app starting today, and in Apple Stores beginning next week.
“AirPods delivered a magical wireless experience and have become one of the most beloved products we’ve ever made. They connect easily with all of your devices, and provide crystal clear sound and intuitive, innovative control of your music and audio,” said Phil Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The world’s best wireless headphones just got even better with the new AirPods. They are powered by the new Apple-designed H1 chip which brings an extra hour of talk time, faster connections, hands-free ‘Hey Siri’ and the convenience of a new wireless battery case.”

So they added wireless charging and hey siri support. I don't think they're going to be that useful for me at least, seeing as they'll probably be more expensive than the original AirPods where the price will go down.

The wireless charging case is $79 which is a bit expensive and the AirPods themselves will be $159. You can buy them both for $199. 

Edit: You can purchase the wireless charging case for your existing AirPods

Edit 2: Picture ( it looks very similar to the original AirPods )

Spoiler

4FC9E025-4F95-414A-85D5-AE71951F327F.jpeg.b9149573e7bd0c126d46aaf9886aea86.jpeg

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm not going to upgrade to them since they are basically the same as my original AirPods but at a much higher price :)

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

My AirPod case is dead from water exposure, maybe buying a new case or buying a whole new one?

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

more life is nice. but that's the only notable feature I see here.

I thought they came with the charging case. surprised to see that's additional. That stinks..

in my book it's some $200 basic wireless headphones, though while very convenient, are def overpriced.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh, so can you purchase the wireless charging case for first generation AirPods or not?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

7 minutes ago, Suika said:

Oh, so can you purchase the wireless charging case for first generation AirPods or not?

Yes you can

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

A tip from someone subscribed to the Tech News subforum for quite a while now, when you make a news post about a brand-new product like in this case, it really looks a lot better if you put at least one picture in your post, so people don't have to go to external sites to actually see what they were reading about in the thread ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

9 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Yes you can

That's really the news story here.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Title Pun Theft! Help! Police! /s

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

50 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I thought they came with the charging case. surprised to see that's additional. That stinks..

in my book it's some $200 basic wireless headphones, though while very convenient, are def overpriced.

You can get the AirPods with either the wireless case or the regular case.  The stand-alone case is just there for people who'd rather not spend $200 just so that they don't have to plug in.

I'd say they're worth the price in that they're loaded with conveniences that are hard to find together in one place: completely wireless down to the case, built-in voice assistant support, super-easy pairing, ear detection...

The beef, and it's a valid one, is that the money isn't going into audio quality.  There has been talk of Apple making in-canal buds using the same tech, though, so there's hope.  Apple's wired in-canal buds are surprisingly well-done -- their weakness was the cord, which clearly wouldn't be an issue here.

Just now, Commodus said:

I'd say they're worth the price in that they're loaded with conveniences that are hard to find together in one place: completely wireless down to the case, built-in voice assistant support, super-easy pairing, ear detection...

The beef, and it's a valid one, is that the money isn't going into audio quality.  There has been talk of Apple making in-canal buds using the same tech, though, so there's hope.  Apple's wired in-canal buds are surprisingly well-done -- their weakness was the cord, which clearly wouldn't be an issue here.

Ah I see. ok so $159 is /ok/ still a lot though.

Idk if it's worth it to me though... maybe other people. wireless down to the case I get.. is nice. Voice assistant? I haven't used siri at all really since launch in like iOS 6(or was it 5?). Couple times. easy pairing? nice.. but I'm fine with holding down a button and going to a bluetooth menu and never having to do that again once paired.. wasn't really that hard.

ear detection prob nice though.

And like you said... audio quality. I can't imagine they'd be worse than typical wired earpods which is fine.. but that only further justifies a lower price point in my book.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, SeraphicWings said:

My AirPod case is dead from water exposure, maybe buying a new case or buying a whole new one?

I got mine fixed for water damage under warranty, they gave me a new case and all was fine

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ah I see. ok so $159 is /ok/ still a lot though.

Idk if it's worth it to me though... maybe other people. wireless down to the case I get.. is nice. Voice assistant? I haven't used siri at all really since launch in like iOS 6(or was it 5?). Couple times. easy pairing? nice.. but I'm fine with holding down a button and going to a bluetooth menu and never having to do that again once paired.. wasn't really that hard.

ear detection prob nice though.

And like you said... audio quality. I can't imagine they'd be worse than typical wired earpods which is fine.. but that only further justifies a lower price point in my book.

Dunno, I've tried Lightning EarPods and they sounded phenomenal. Ordered 3.5mm jack EarPods and they sound nothing like Lightning version despite seemingly same deisign (I did notice they lack one meshed hole on the case). Especially bass is just entirely missing. If AirPods sound like the lightning EarPods, they are awesome. Also, plus to Apple for not going with those silicone nonsense earbuds. I hate that shit. I've tried them once and they sounded like shit, used larger silicone buds that gave awesome bass, but were so tight it felt like someone is fingering my ears with thumbs... EarPods on the other hand feel great.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

They do come with a charging case. The wireless case is being sold seperatly for anyone with existing AirPods that want to upgrade to wireless charging. 

You can buy the new upgraded AirPods with the new wireless case or with the standard wired charging case or you can buy just the wireless charging case, but not just the AirPods. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

why is apple trickle-releasing hardware before their march event?! O-O

Getting everyone to talk about Apple right before the event :) 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

So......where's the AirPower? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

So......where's the AirPower? 

Maybe tomorrow, maybe never. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Nope, still on my wired headphones.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

If they had in-ears with sound that isn't crap it would be worth the money. I think Airpods are great, but the sound is a real killer for me 

That's an F in the profile pic

30 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

If they had in-ears with sound that isn't crap it would be worth the money. I think Airpods are great, but the sound is a real killer for me 

I mean, the sound isn’t that bad. And if you manually turn on Bass Boost on the AirPods then they sound much better, actually kinda good :)

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite