Opinions on driver assistance technology

Beef Boss

What are your opinions on driver assistance technologies? I have some heavy opinions on them, and I'd like to see how others feel on it. 

I honestly feel like the biggest issue in America is that it's too easy to get your license and too easy to keep it. And with the vehicle driving itself I feel like way more people who shouldn't have their license will be able to keep it. I get it keeping people safe is important but it's sad when people can't even tell when or when not to drive. 

I'm worried about people's incompetence taking freedoms away from the masses. I think America is in an education crisis, people growing up free from responsibility, hard work and the thought that their actions do not have consequences. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

something should be done about dicks driving BMWs

that's all

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

something should be done about dicks driving BMWs

that's all

LOL, I feel like people can't drive when someone sees a BMW. My grandparents had three BMWS wrecked from other people driving. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Gotta say I always turn on the cruise control in my car when I go on long drives, just turn it on or off and I go economically along.

Now in my dad’s Nissan he has the steering assist for the motorway, and I have to say, whilst impressive, it’s pretty scary. Driving is pretty easy as it is, but with this IDK, the steering wheel moves by itself, it’s hard to let go and still feel I control. The car also has the following feature, where it maintains a set length to the car in front, which is ok.

Burn it.

make the the driver do everything themselves.

the less people have to do the less they want to do, then they make it so they can do even less and then they know even less.

if someone is used to driving a car with auto braking and lane assist then if they switch to a slightly older model that doesn't have that they now might not be thinking about the fact they actually have to be paying attention.

and just think, when self driving/driver assisted vehicles start to get older and some functions start to degrade, now even if you are driving a driver assisted car that function could just stop working.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

1 hour ago, veldora said:

What are your opinions on driver assistance technologies?

We need them in America. Americans shouldn’t be allowed to drive. Many people drive illegally (without license. Illegal immigrants. Not citing sources.)

I honestly feel like the biggest issue in America is that it's too easy to get your license

It’s absurdly easy. You can get like a bunch of things wrong. The permit test is 20~ questions and you need a 70%. You can get like 6 wrong. Driving test is the same. It’s up to the discretion of the tester & some people don’t care/get paid enough. 

and too easy to keep it.

Speeding, wreck less driving, intoxicated driving.. all slaps on the wrist. 

And with the vehicle driving itself I feel like way more people who shouldn't have their license will be able to keep it.

Personally I think if no humans are allowed to drive, it would be better if the safe machines could do it. No need for licenses. 

I get it keeping people safe is important but it's sad when people can't even tell when or when not to drive. 

Well, if the only car you can get drives itself, then there’s no question. I think this thread is about assisted driving and I’m thinking of self driving. People should be put through rigerous no help driving tests & then get the additional safety features. 

I'm worried about people's incompetence taking freedoms away from the masses.

I don’t see what’s that free about personally transporting yourself as opposed to a private taxi service. 

I think America is in an education crisis,

Yeah. I won’t get into it. Too political for this forum. 

people growing up free from responsibility, hard work and the thought that their actions do not have consequences. 

Again, too political. 

Summary

Personally, I think people mess up & self driving cars should be the only cars except for rigerously trained police. I don’t think it’s worth it to trust people to operate heavy machinery. Not everyone can do it, but everyone has the right. In America, many people cannot work without a car to get them there. The bus doesn’t go everywhere. As for their responsibility, that’s another political issue that is very polarising & not meant for this forum IMO. I’m here to talk tech, not parties. 

47 minutes ago, fpo said:

In America, many people cannot work without a car to get them there. The bus doesn’t go everywhere.

add more buses?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

add more buses?

America doesn’t do that. They should. 

2 hours ago, Tog Driver said:

then if they switch to a slightly older model that doesn't have that

why would they do that?

Just now, poochyena said:

why would they do that?

Because older vehicles that don't have driver assist won't cease to exist the moment Driver assisted ones come out, as you can probably tell.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

30 minutes ago, fpo said:

America doesn’t do that. They should. 

Car manufacturers dislike your comment xD

or maybe they don't do it because having like 200+ lines in a single city would be madness

3 hours ago, veldora said:

I honestly feel like the biggest issue in America is that it's too easy to get your license and too easy to keep it.

People have sucked at driving everywhere literally since the first cars were invented, not sure why you gotta make it an "American" thing...

Take the wheel, Jesus.

Gathering my monies for a model Y deposit atm.

I think the real issue here is that driving licenses are not renewed much if at all after the age of 18 (in America).

Institute a re-examination every 5 years, and shorten the span to every 2.5 for those above the age of 65. Those who are unfit to drive will be off the road quickly.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, Tog Driver said:

Because older vehicles that don't have driver assist won't cease to exist the moment Driver assisted ones come out, as you can probably tell.

That didn't answer my question. I've never heard of someone replacing their car with an older model unless its a classic car.

19 minutes ago, poochyena said:

That didn't answer my question. I've never heard of someone replacing their car with an older model unless its a classic car.

Well, I know someone that did switch to an older vehicle, but that might be a rare case, What about they go somewhere and get a rental car that isn't as high end as their personal vehicle? maybe they want to borrow a friends vehicle? maybe a large family has multiple vehicles and one is low on fuel so they take a different one?

I personally don't think just hoping they drive a driver assisted vehicle forever as soon as they start using one is a good idea.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

24 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

go somewhere and get a rental car that isn't as high end as their personal vehicle?

rental places almost always have high end cars. Either way, its no different than if they only had manual shift cars when you only know automatic.

I only like stability and traction control since it makes economical(cheap) cars safer.

I drive a manual sports car with sticky tires that only last about 8,000 miles. It is designed for high speed maneuvers and silly short stops. I started driving cars like this after a Mercedes tried to occupy the same space as my 2001 Civic at 80mph. With just a flick of the wrist I was out of control and sideways. What saved me was that I was on the Florida turnpike and that the opposing lanes were hundreds of feet away and I didn't hit an obstacle. 

A modern Civic or any other modern economical car would not have gone out of control like my 2001 Civic did because of stability control.

This is one of my favorite car videos.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

driving assists dont have eyes, dont think them can save your life, they cant; you do.

as a motorcycle rider, i have seen my fair share of danger drivers. like those talking to the phone, staring at the phone, or just about anything other than pay attention on the road.

motorcycle riders are the safest motorist, we cant swiping on our phones while we're doing 60, we cant listen to some old fart rambling on radio because the wind noise is so loud we can barely hear anything; and we definetly dont have steel cage and crumble zone to protect us in the event of a otherwise fatal crash.

accident happens when you do not pay attention.

drive a car, like riding a motorcycle.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

The current system of driving assists is a bit awkward because it's in between -- I'd actually be more comfortable with cars that are fully or mostly autonomous.  Not that I'd avoid a car with assists in them, but I think we'll actually relax when the most we have to do is maneuver down a gravel road.

It doesn't work all that well, it encourages bad driving habits, and when the systems eventually fail, it'll be a spectacularly dangerous day for everyone around those cars.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have a license for 10+ years but I feel extremely uneasy about driving. I only drive 3 days a year when I am at my parents home. I am scared to overtake or drive backward and avoid it as much as possible. I even asked my dad where the brake and the clutch are because I am so unsure.

Hopefully, my first car will be a self-driving or at least assisted driving car. I am not getting one before 2021 or even years later so I hope the technology is affordable then.

20 hours ago, veldora said:

What are your opinions on driver assistance technologies? I have some heavy opinions on them, and I'd like to see how others feel on it. 

Honestly I like the blind spot detector in my new car. It makes it easier to drive safer. I think more technology that can help people drive safer is awesome. As far as autonomous cars go, I think the technology still needs time to mature. But Im all for autonomous cars, because I hate driving. Im also for better public transit as well. Because I think we have too many cars on the road. 

I honestly feel like the biggest issue in America is that it's too easy to get your license and too easy to keep it.

Here in Michigan at least when I got my licence back in 2004, you did not have to take drivers ed, though if you didnt take drivers ed you had to wait till you were 18 to take the state driving test. Then after that its a cake walk. You pay a yearly fee for registration, every 4 years you have to pay for a new licence. Most of this can be done online. I mean you have to look at it like this. They know they get a yearly fee for car registration, they get taxes from the gas tax, then I think they get taxes from auto insurance, which is require here. Thats a lot of money. 

I get it keeping people safe is important but it's sad when people can't even tell when or when not to drive. 

Its not even that though. Here in Michigan we get snow and ice, your boss dont give a fuck, your ass better be at work. Or you will be calling Marvin (Automated Unemployment Insurance system). 

I think America is in an education crisis,

You dont even know. The school district I graduated from was one of the best in the state at the time I graduated. Now its a shitty district. Too much money has been taken away from the schools. Also, the schools have not really gotten a cost of living increase in taxes. I mean, in order for the district to get more money they have to put the proposal on a ballot and the citizen of the city have to vote. You can guess how that vote goes. Also, Governor Snyder took a lot of money from the schools when he took office, as he needed to get the states finances in order. Some of the money I think has returned but many of the new teachers feel they are not getting paid enough for the shit they have to put up with. Our school district is down like 17 teachers. There are like no English or math teachers in our high school, just subs and those people are not certified. The school board just fired the superintendent. So we are in dire straits. Thats also part of the reason jobs keep leaving the US, we have skill shortages. I think I read somewhere something like 80,000 skill trades jobs in Michigan alone are open and they cant find people to fill them. 

people growing up free from responsibility, hard work and the thought that their actions do not have consequences. 

Thats because they made it illegal to discipline children. So now we got all these winy like fucks. I work with some of these people and they are plain useless. Parents give their kids what ever they want. When I was a kid I had to earn shit. I watched peoples pets and saved all the money I got for Xmas and my bday to purchase things like my PS2. Kids now days dont know that level of discipline. I bought my first computer, dumb phone, smart phone, and such. But kids now days are just handed everything. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On March 16, 2019 at 11:59 PM, poochyena said:

rental places almost always have high end cars. Either way, its no different than if they only had manual shift cars when you only know automatic.

Maybe they want to save a bit of money so they get a lower end one? Maybe all the high end ones are taken?

sure, these are all "What ifs" but I'm just trying to point out there are circumstances that could have someone driving a vehicle they aren't used to, and they could forget how much the newer models do for them.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.