Terabyte smartphones are coming cause YOLO and $$$ via Samsung's very fast storage.

suits
1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I frankly don't want a phone to hold so much data. On desktop, no problem, but certainly not with device that can be lost or ruined so easily. And you basically can't have a backup of such massive storage either. And even if you have backup service with so much cloud storage, you don't have a plan that allows you to transfer and maintain so much data. 

I really hope people don't have 1TB of data stored on their phone and nowhere else.

I can see this being useful though. Right now I constantly transfer videos back and forth to my tablet because I often take long trips and want content to watch. With this instead of having to constantly swap out videos on my tablet I could just transfer a bunch of shows and don't have to worry about it.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's a bit of a BS. They could just hide it from users but still have it internally if Windows itself relied on its engine for the rendering.

Fun fact: During the US vs Microsoft lawsuit when Microsoft was accused of an illegal monopoly with Internet Explorer, Microsoft submitted to their defense videos and evidence stating that the removal of IE from Windows would result in Windows malfunctioning in various ways.

When ordered to offer a version of Windows which did not come with Windows, David Cole from Microsoft stated that the order was essentially to offer a version of Windows which would not work properly.

Quote from the trial:

Judge: It seemed absolutely clear to you that I entered an order that required that you distribute a product that would not work?"

David Cole: "In plain English, yes"

I am not the one arguing that Windows without IE would not work. Microsoft were the ones arguing that, and since it did take quite a bit of effort for them to decouple IE I believe them. It's also not uncommon for Microsoft to develop their products so that they are tightly reliant and integrated with one another. Just look at file permissions in Windows. It's very, very, reliant on NTFS, which is probably why it hasn't been replaced yet (and even ReFS had to be structured the same way as NTFS).

There are plenty of examples of this way of designing in Windows. Another one would be Cortana, which rumors has it Microsoft are working on decoupling from Windows. If it had followed a modular philosophy from the start rather than a tightly integrated one it would already have been possible.

TIme to download every angry birds game.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

@LAwLz

Yeah, disposable data would be the only reason to have that much. So you won't cry after it if its gone, like copies of movies for the flight. That I can understand. But not for regular storage. I have a phone with 32GB of internal memory and 2TB of cloud. I was specifically using cloud because phone has no memory card. If it died, all would be gone.

LOL i have 256 GB SSD in my lapto. filled 50% of it. Never over it. I have SO MANY things on it.

My nexus 5 & 4 are both 16 GBs. I always have 10 GB Free on them. Only once i could only leave 4 GB free but i was testing different OSs on them. I had 4 OS installed simultaniously. Quad boot. Android, ubuntu touch, sailfish, firefox OS.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well, not really "lazy" and "incompetent" as much as it is:

"Windows 10 is pretty shit to the core, architecture wise, because of decades of just building on top of it, and optimizing it would require a tremendous amount of work that Microsoft probably doesn't feel is worth it".

I know you don't know much about operating systems or software development/architecture in general, but believe me when I say Windows is a bloated mess. It is really, really badly made, but it works well enough for most people to not be bothered, and as a result Microsoft don't see any massive need in optimizing it more than necessary.

If Microsoft dedicated a few years and all their resources to rebuild Windows from the ground up, I have no doubt in my mind that they would make it significantly smaller, faster, more modular and much easier to maintain. But at what cost? Thousands upon thousands of developer hours. I don't think Microsoft are that eager to pour billions upon billions of dollars in optimizing Windows when it won't result in any more customers or profits for them, although it would potentially cut down on troubleshooting time.

Plus, such a massive rewrite would also carry a great risk of things breaking, which would result in unhappy customers and even more money and time poured into the project.

But this whole conversation is really off-topic so maybe we should continue it in a new thread?

I am more than happy to list suggestions on how Windows 10 can be improved.

My only argument is that there are lots of ways that has caused windows to be the way it is today, yet the only reasons offered are generally insults to the people who do the work.   I look at the whole, OS/update/compatibility holistically.    I refuse to accept that the engineers see a "boated" mess and just accept it, or that the team leaders and project managers are intentionally not doing their best to make it better. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

My only argument is that there are lots of ways that has caused windows to be the way it is today, yet the only reasons offered are generally insults to the people who do the work.   I look at the whole, OS/update/compatibility holistically.    I refuse to accept that the engineers see a "boated" mess and just accept it, or that the team leaders and project managers are intentionally not doing their best to make it better. 

You are not very well versed in the software scene, especially commercial software scene, it you don't think people release bloated and badly coded things which they don't have the time, will or skill to fix. 

It happens all the time. It's basically the norm these days. 

A lot of code moneys, probably even the majority, are stuck working on things they don't have any passion for and are just at their work because it is what pays their bills. 

It's like being surprised that the person flipping burgers at McDonald's isn't paying the upmost attention to make every single burger perfect while there are 30 people waiting in the queue. 

If you refuse to accept that might happen then you have a very inaccurate world view. 

1tb? Man I’m good with 32gb 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You are not very well versed in the software scene, especially commercial software scene, it you don't think people release bloated and badly coded things which they don't have the time, will or skill to fix. 

It happens all the time. It's basically the norm these days. 

A lot of code moneys, probably even the majority, are stuck working on things they don't have any passion for and are just at their work because it is what pays their bills. 

It's like being surprised that the person flipping burgers at McDonald's isn't paying the upmost attention to make every single burger perfect while there are 30 people waiting in the queue. 

If you refuse to accept that might happen then you have a very inaccurate world view. 

I know my limitations with software, I am well aware of them,  but people releasing shit code is only one thing. To claim there only being one reason a huge arse company with countless resources at their disposal can't improve a situation that they know gives them bad PR is naive.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I know my limitations with software, I am well aware of them,  but people releasing shit code is only one thing. To claim there only being one reason a huge arse company with countless resources at their disposal can't improve a situation that they know gives them bad PR is naive.

Wait, I gave several reasons why it was not being done. What is the "one reason" I gave according to you? 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, I gave several reasons why it was not being done. What is the "one reason" I gave according to you? 

I choose the McDonald's worker.  Because that clearly is the best analogy to the conglomerate that is the evolution of windows software.

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I choose the McDonald's worker.  Because that clearly is the best analogy to the conglomerate that is the evolution of windows software. 

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.

I gave you plenty of reasons why Windows is the way it is (that is to say, why it is poorly coded and why it probably won't get fixed), yet you claim I only gave one. I am asking you, what reason do you think is the only one I gave you?

The McDonald's worker was not a reason I gave. It was an analogy. A comparison, not an argument.

I might find this useful 

After getting my X-T3, the amount of space those 4K 400Mbps/4K60 200Mbps 4:2:0 HDR 10-bit videos take up a lot of an SD card

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

A 1TB USB-drive is better and more useable than 1TB in a smartphone that will become obselete and outdated in a few years.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The McDonald's worker was not a reason I gave. It was an analogy. A comparison, not an argument.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

I know.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:29 PM, Cyberspirit said:

My 128GB 5T has 13GB left. xD

Too much music. :/

I have like 500+ GBs of music.

Now, that's too much.

Thank God for Google Play allowing you to upload up to 100,000 tracks.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

I have like 500+ GBs of music.

Now, that's too much.

Ooh, nice!

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:18 PM, suits said:

Price leak is in GBP doesn't always translate well to the rest of the world

I like how it's my picture in the thumbnail. 

Spoiler

image.png.8e85b74904423fdbb69d3e386a12a619.png

Also, who the fuck keeps buying $1000 phones!?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Hmm, I'm all for it if it enables the superslowmo to be more usable. Plus as phone cameras get better and better, more storage, and fast storage is going to be more beneficial. Maybe we'll finally start to see more phones built around a more advanced camera. Plus, adding even more features to flagship phones only makes sense. Why stop moving forward?

On 1/30/2019 at 12:32 PM, Teddy07 said:

I don´t get why the average user needs so much space. I never used more than 20GB

It's not really for the average user. Why does everyone think that everything a company makes is for Joe Blow?

On 1/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, CharminUltraStrong said:

If you're the type to spend that much on storage then you're upgrading your phone every gen and that TB of storage goes to waste. Phone apps and files are pretty well optimized nowadays to be super small.

That makes absolutely no sense. If you need that storage amount, it's not going to waste just because you upgrade your phone yearly.

Having more storage, especially faster storage, opens up more options to manufacturers.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:39 PM, Salv8 (sam) said:

i have yet to fill up my phones internal storage...

how people do it is beyond me...

One of my friends watches copious amounts of videos when he goes on International flights, site trips, and at the gym. He's filled up 512gb microSD cards pretty rapidly.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:00 PM, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

I can only imagine the kind of flash cells being used on these chips in order to reach these densities.

Probably QLC flash. Wears out even faster than TLC and MLC flash used in earlier SSDs.

Which is bad, even for Samsung.

Eh, I don't think it really matters. Doubt it'll wear out before the phone gets replaced.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, aezakmi said:

I could have a terabyte hard drive for $40 instead of $4000 but you know users they buy the same phone every year just like fifa fans buy the same game every year and trick themselves into believing the hair texture of a player is different this time and it was worth the money.

I don't think anyone's paying $4,000 for a phone with 1TB of storage...

Buying a new phone every year makes the most sense for me.

7 hours ago, CTR640 said:

A 1TB USB-drive is better and more useable than 1TB in a smartphone that will become obselete and outdated in a few years.

Kinda. Depends what you do with your phone. If you carry around loads of media, then it makes more sense to get the phone instead of a USB flash drive plus a dongle.

31 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I like how it's my picture in the thumbnail. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.8e85b74904423fdbb69d3e386a12a619.png

Also, who the fuck keeps buying $1000 phones!?

I buy a new phone every year. Makes the most sense.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

One of my friends watches copious amounts of videos when he goes on International flights, site trips, and at the gym. He's filled up 512gb microSD cards pretty rapidly.

i bought a Type-C OTG addapter and a 2Tb portable HDD for less than $100 AUD (hdd $60, OTG $20)

your average 512gb microSD card cost $250 AUD, it's cheaper and allows you to store more

the only downside is that you have to be careful and not drop it which you should already be doing since it's a phone

all that HDD stores is movies and tv shows that i have backed up from my server and play with VLC for android.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i bought a Type-C OTG addapter and a 2Tb portable HDD for less than $100 AUD (hdd $60, OTG $20)

your average 512gb microSD card cost $250 AUD, it's cheaper and allows you to store more

the only downside is that you have to be careful and not drop it which you should already be doing since it's a phone

all that HDD stores is movies and tv shows that i have backed up from my server and play with VLC for android.

Yeah but that's not nearly as portable as just having built in storage in the phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

-snip-

If I upgrade my phone every year, how would I use 1TB of storage?  Here's a great article that discusses storage and how we use it https://www.giffgaff.com/blog/how-much-storage-do-you-really-need-on-your-phone/. TL;DR, 128 gigs is the most anyone will ever need on their phone. You will not fill your phone with 1TB of data in a single year.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

In some countries like mine there is a tax depending on how much storage an electronic appliance has, and it's from 2011...

I can't imagine how much they will cost here

On 1/30/2019 at 7:32 PM, Teddy07 said:

I don´t get why the average user needs so much space. I never used more than 20GB

Because Starbucks' Wifi blocks Pornhub?

Seriously though, I have no idea what you would do with 1TB on a phone. We're moving away from local storage for music and video, no one needs to take 8K selfies, who is this for?

9 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Seriously though, I have no idea what you would do with 1TB on a phone. We're moving away from local storage for music and video, no one needs to take 8K selfies, who is this for?

You bring up an interesting point, between the functionality of 4G and the functionality of cloud storage services there is, in fact, less demand for high capacity storage than ever before. But at the same time, Samsung wouldn't be making this device if they didn't think it would sell, so perhaps this is not directed at Western audience after all.

I wouldn't mind that kind of storage.  I'd be able to store my entire music collection in lossless AND have enough space to store an encrypted backup file with all my important documents and photos.  No more need to carry an extra USB stick with all that data.