Some Wii U Questions

WickedStarfish

So my cousin has a Wii U and every time I search for something to do with it on the internet I just get results related to the switch  

Can you play Mario Kart 8 in handheld mode (as this is something that he has been trying to do with no success), and if so how?

Will the better together update come to the Wii U (Minecraft)?

Also a question that is for me, would it be worth buying the switch or the Wii U considering I only really want Mario Kart, Smash Bros and maybe breath of the wild (I say maybe as I have never played a Zelda game) as if i buy a Wii U instead I could also get a 3DS (for car trips) and some Pokemon games on it (and cost less than a switch) as apparently lets go isn't the same as the older games, more like a Pokemon Go style

image.png.397ed1a4e978d96df92fae5f3507b60b.png

image.png.da3397fc84d04aeeaf8f3c5974e226ec.png

image.png.0734b2686d83c6383d4315a373552cb4.png

9 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

As a person who has neither of these, i would say get the switch as it offers more as a package. Both are really shitty hardware wise and dont offer much, but the switch is newer so.

I'd go this route. Also with the switch you can take it on road trips.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

I'd go this route. Also with the switch you can take it on road trips.

I could take the 3DS on road trips as I would only really play Pokemon when i'm not at home and I would be able to get both the 3DS and Wii U for less than the switch

No or very few new games will be coming to the Wii U anymore really, so it's a dead end. I'd take the Switch.

26 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

Can you play Mario Kart 8 in handheld mode (as this is something that he has been trying to do with no success), and if so how?

There's a giant TV screen button on the gamepad when playing. Press that and you'll see on the pad what's on the screen.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

No or very few new games will be coming to the Wii U anymore really, so it's a dead end. I'd take the Switch.

There's a giant TV screen button on the gamepad when playing. Press that and you'll see on the pad what's on the screen.

that TV button controls the TV if you set it up (volume power and stuff like that), which checking that out I figured it out, you have to press on the little screen of what is happening and that makes it full screen, for some reason he obviously didn't try that. (inside of the red square is where it appears )

image.png.0aa4849188d6e5cb6a947a89eaa1cb68.png

I own a Wii, Wii U, and Switch.  I love the switch. Much better platform over the Wii U. I actually like the switch more than my PS4 and Xbox one. 

As for Pokemon Let's Go, it's based off the original but only loosely. It's still a great game and another Pokemon game is supposed to be released either late this year or early next year. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 hour ago, WickedStarfish said:

So my cousin has a Wii U and every time I search for something to do with it on the internet I just get results related to the switch  

Also a question that is for me, would it be worth buying the switch or the Wii U considering I only really want Mario Kart, Smash Bros and maybe breath of the wild (I say maybe as I have never played a Zelda game) as if i buy a Wii U instead I could also get a 3DS (for car trips) and some Pokemon games on it (and cost less than a switch) as apparently lets go isn't the same as the older games, more like a Pokemon Go style

1.  Thats because the Wii U is no longer in production and most of the Ninty titles have been ported over to the Switch (I can only think of two that haven't and likely wont Pikmin 3 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)

2.  On the Wii U I think you can when you switch the screens of course it means no map screen but you have to stay near the console.  On the Switch of course thats the primary feature.

3.  No (see the end of 1)

4.  For those three titles I'd say the Switch is worth it you will probably also find more games you like indies and so on.  BoTW has months of gameplay on it and Smash Ultimate is well...Ultimate...

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Pikmin 3

Such a shame. Would've loved to have that game portable.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 1/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, WickedStarfish said:

Yeah, because (almost) nobody had the WiiU and there are hardly any games on it...

Although the concept was good, the price and performance was not.

And the controller is rather annoying and not good to play games with...

And I don't want to "get used to it"...

I don't think you can. You have to use the TV.

Though I've not tried it and don't want to fire up my WiiU right now...

No because the Miiverse is offline and you can't play online with the WiiU...

I'd rather get the Switch because it just came out, you can get everything for it at every corner.

While for the WiiU you can't get any spare parts or even controller...

Really the only Reason to get a WiiU is for "Homebrew"...

The 3DS is a bit better, though performance is a bit shit, though concept also interesting.

And its at the end of its life, meaning you can still get a couple of games new from the store though most of it is gone...

Games are however rather cheap with 45€ for most of them on the 3DS...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/24/2019 at 2:15 PM, LordOTaco said:

(I can only think of two that haven't and likely wont Pikmin 3 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)

Could you pls stop mentioning THAT game?
Because its the embodiment of Censorshit in consoles. God, makes me rage.

And yes, it is gamebreaking!! Because the changes made that part of the game make absolutely no sense...

ANd it didn't sell well (well, d'uh...)

But an uncensored Switch Version would be much apreciated...

If it isn't censored, its not too bad...

On 1/24/2019 at 2:15 PM, LordOTaco said:

4.  For those three titles I'd say the Switch is worth it you will probably also find more games you like indies and so on.  BoTW has months of gameplay on it and Smash Ultimate is well...Ultimate...

I agree with that.

And Nintendo is porting all the games they made from the WiiU to the switch. Its only a question of time until the exclusive libary will be on the switch.

I'd expect the last couple of games at the end of 2019 or beginning 2020.

If I'm not mistaken, that only leaves Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pikmin 3.
Tokyo Mirage is not a Nintendo Game, its Nintendo exclusive but developed by Atlus...

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Could you pls stop mentioning THAT game?
Because its the embodiment of Censorshit in consoles. God, makes me rage.

And yes, it is gamebreaking!! Because the changes made that part of the game make absolutely no sense...

ANd it didn't sell well (well, d'uh...)

But an uncensored Switch Version would be much apreciated...

If it isn't censored, its not too bad...

I agree with that.

And Nintendo is porting all the games they made from the WiiU to the switch. Its only a question of time until the exclusive libary will be on the switch.

I'd expect the last couple of games at the end of 2019 or beginning 2020.

If I'm not mistaken, that only leaves Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pikmin 3.
Tokyo Mirage is not a Nintendo Game, its Nintendo exclusive but developed by Atlus...

That is actually right I forgot about Xenoblade Chronicles X a very underrated game and yeah Tokyo Mirage is an Atlus game so that would bring the count to 3.  I guess you could throw in Super Mario Maker though that did get a 3DS port and could easily work on Switch.

That is actually right I forgot about Xenoblade Chronicles X a very underrated game

Well, I don't agree.

Mainly because I didn't really get the Fighting System and got stuck at the beginning of one of the missions somehow...

and yeah Tokyo Mirage is an Atlus game so that would bring the count to 3. 

There are a couple of others but they aren't really worth it (Ben10, that Sky Soldier thingy, devil's third)

I guess you could throw in Super Mario Maker though that did get a 3DS port and could easily work on Switch.

Yeah, that will be ported without a doubt.

As well as Paper Mario Color Splash.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, I don't agree.

Mainly because I didn't really get the Fighting System and got stuck at the beginning of one of the missions somehow...

There are a couple of others but they aren't really worth it (Ben10, that Sky Soldier thingy, devil's third)

Yeah, that will be ported without a doubt.

As well as Paper Mario Color Splash.

Oh god I remember the dev clusterf*#k that was Devils Third and wasn't Paper Mario Color Splash pretty mediocre?  Now that I'm thinking about it there was that disappointment of a Starfox title with the overt need to use the gamepad.  I enjoyed a good portion of the game but I feel mixed about it.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:12 AM, Shimejii said:

Both are really shitty hardware wise and dont offer much, but the switch is newer so.

I agree to the crap hardware of the Wii U but I think the Switch actually has pretty good hardware for a handheld, minus the lack of a 1080p screen and joke storage space. For a handheld, it is pretty great (I don't own one btw). The hardware would be a joke if it was a console though.

That said, to answer the OP, I wouldn't buy a Wii U unless there are exclusives that really interest you that aren't available on the Switch. 

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

That said, to answer the OP, I wouldn't buy a Wii U unless there are exclusives that really interest you that aren't available on the Switch. 

There's another reason we can't really talk about here...

Though it beeing risky, the console beeing EOL and the console depending on the WiiU gamepad, its hard to recommend the WiiU.

Because if your Gamepad is broken, so is your WiiU. You can hardly use it at that point...

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, LordOTaco said:

1.  Thats because the Wii U is no longer in production and most of the Ninty titles have been ported over to the Switch (I can only think of two that haven't and likely wont Pikmin 3 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)

:C Yep, sad those two are not ported over to the Switch along with Xenoblade X and the first Xenoblade Chronicles (I would throw so much money at a port of the first one).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

They probably will port them over...

Xeonoblade is a hard one because its a pretty big game but the rest should follow.

Xenoblade Chronicles HD might also be on its way, just give them time...

Rome wasn't build in a day. And I'd expect Nintendo to port all exclusive, decent WiiU Games, @Ithanul

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They probably will port them over...

Xeonoblade is a hard one because its a pretty big game but the rest should follow.

Xenoblade Chronicles HD might also be on its way, just give them time...

Rome wasn't build in a day. And I'd expect Nintendo to port all exclusive, decent WiiU Games, @Ithanul

I'm aware it takes time.  Nintendo and the devs will probably get around to it considering the fanbase for the series.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I do know that Xenoblade X actually kinda used the gamepad as did Pikmin 3 and Starfox Zero might take some significant re development

6 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I do know that Xenoblade X actually kinda used the gamepad as did Pikmin 3 and Starfox Zero might take some significant re development

You have a Phone, don't you?
That might be the solution, an Android and IOS App for the Display.

As for Xenoblade: IIRC only for the Map. It wasn't that essential.

Pikmin was a bit more/complicated.