Bungie and Activision part ways

suits
Go to solution Solved by ZacoAttaco,

That's good, it will stay on Battle.net for the time being.

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Activision Blizzard is the parent company of both Activision and Blizzard Entertainment. Activision doesn't own Blizzard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick

This man runs Activision Blizzard

This man used to run Activision

It's pretty clear who is in charge of Blizzard and controls what they've been doing since the "merger"

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, the Bungie you probably knew is now called 343 while others from that era went in different directions.

No, not remotely.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

7 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

It's pretty clear who is in charge of Blizzard and controls what they've been doing since the "merger"

Up until recently, people were denying Activision's influence on Blizzard. To be fair, it wasn't very noticable until past few years where the emphasis from Blizzard has changed from quality products (which they still make) to sales/bundles/micro-transactions and DLC. I've heard the new BFA expansion in WoW leaves a lot to be desired and we all know about the infamous BlizzCon 2018.

That's a good thing for Bungie as it would mean less corporate influence from Activision's stakeholders (who are probably attempting to find ways to reassure public stockholders at this point). 

I'm still not optimistic though. A lot of D2's controversies came from Bungie themselves. Maybe due to corporate pressure? I don't know but if Bungie wants to regain the trust it lost, now is the time. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It's the "I didn't read your love confession text and now it's awkward" episode. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't know why ppl praise Bungie so much. Halo 1 was one of the worst games I've played. Terrible and lazy level design was the biggest killer of it. It was like its devs just discovered copy&paste commands and they basically used them across entire levels. Only good thing was the introduction of the Flood through recordings and those creeps actually going at you. Aaaaand then ruined it with more horrendous copy&pasting of levels..

Just so ya know Halo 1 was the game the generalised Regenerative health which practice now gets used among many other FPS titles.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

True, he is the CEO. But there is the board of directors which oversees everything what the comoany does. It is not his word alone in the play. His does have more weight, but is not the only one in decision making. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

@ZacoAttaco 

I understand what you getting at with the progress of D1 going away but at the same time it wasnt as if you became nothing. Your Guardian lost his/her light the classic Tower was destoryed, anything you had gone, your guardian recovering the light from a fragment of the traveller needed to re train his hand in it once again while coming to learn new abilities not known before.

While it did annoy my you lost your progress and all they Bungie took the effort to pay tribute to the OG players with the starting screen showing your achievements of D1 while also making sutble hints at the start of the campaign "Ah Saladins Young Pup" for becoming a Iron lord in the last dlc or he would have said "King Slayer" for if you only got to killing Oryx etc.

------

Anyway im glad Bungie now has full control of Destiny but that doesnt mean Microtransactions and shit will go away they will stay and may come more known to be able to fund the loss of money that was lent via activision (Possibly) or they will be less in your face and we see more content, priper stories and more end game activities. 

Some small stories or additions could end up being free as a thank you (like small stories, finding something or recovering a lost weapon from the old tower)

Sooo it can go either way but i choose the positive as bungie has been a company that cared for the players even if it aint the same team that done halo.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

If you played Halo 1 well after the fact then I could see what you're saying, but the key thing was for the time it was truly a revolutionary title. Halo 1 introduced an immersive world and story, great visuals for the time and excellent core gameplay. Some later levels are a little tedious, The Library isn't one of my favourite levels but I think there is a lot of variety in the enviroments you're in, forest, jungle and snow areas. Don't get it twisted, if Halo hadn't have come out for the original Xbox I doubt the Xbox brand would still be around.

I was big Destiny 1 player, on PS3. I was annoyed that I had to start again, I lost all my progress, if Bungie could implement a system of expansions rather than new titles (akin to World of Warcraft) I would spend more time in the game, but for me I don't like seeing all that progress come to nothing.

EXTRA:

'Spawn Wave Media' has just covered this story, he's an excellent gaming journalist on YouTube.

No, I played Halo 1 when it came to PC right away, not later. It's not just the Library. Several levels before were also all copy and pasted. I can still remember retarded bridges, several of them same fucking copy. Or the last level with spaceship, just in ash color because it was burnt. But same exact level. Lazy and lame. Immersive and diverse was Deus Ex that came out a year early. Or Soldier of Fortune, also a year before Halo. And the praised "Ai" was also disappointing. Commandos from Half-Life 1 were more challenging and advanced than anything in Halo. Like I've said, there was nothing in Halo that would make me say "wow, that was freaking awesome". Majority of game time I was "oh man, just make this over already" so I can say I finished it and that was it. The exact opposite of for example System Shock 2 or Deus Ex where I wanted for game to never end because it was so cool.

Amazing ?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

@RejZoR i wouldnt judge them by a single game...

As much as i dislike Activision now, I enjoyed all the games the released in the COD franchise from COD4 - MW3 

Black ops II and Ghost wasnt bad but they where not ultimately in my high graces. And then you have their Futursitic games that just where not good in my opinion.

People change, Games Change, companies change etc.

Halo 1 yes had A lot of copy paste levels where assets where reused somewhere else. The mission with the multiple bridges many plays held that one with pain as it felt the most repetitive. 

Now going on about the ship... Have you ever been on a ship, plane or building that uses the same layout and style the whole way through? I would assume a 

Frigate would follow the same lead so having copy hallways broken up by unique rooms (Cantiene, Power Generator, control center etc.

wake me up when the game isn't a dlc/season-pass shitfest

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

wake me up when the game isn't a dlc/season-pass shitfest

Do you want me to stop you from hanging like a yo-yo?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Do you want me to stop you from hanging like a yo-yo?

you can always try

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

you can always try

I was mostly singing your post to the tune of Wham!’s only hit.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

No way in hell they will let go of Blizzard they just wont it will ruin them completely

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No, I played Halo 1 when it came to PC right away, not later. It's not just the Library. Several levels before were also all copy and pasted. I can still remember retarded bridges, several of them same fucking copy. Or the last level with spaceship, just in ash color because it was burnt. But same exact level. Lazy and lame. Immersive and diverse was Deus Ex that came out a year early. Or Soldier of Fortune, also a year before Halo. And the praised "Ai" was also disappointing. Commandos from Half-Life 1 were more challenging and advanced than anything in Halo. Like I've said, there was nothing in Halo that would make me say "wow, that was freaking awesome". Majority of game time I was "oh man, just make this over already" so I can say I finished it and that was it. The exact opposite of for example System Shock 2 or Deus Ex where I wanted for game to never end because it was so cool.

Fair enough, even if we don't agree, you backed up your opinon well.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't know why ppl praise Bungie so much. Halo 1 was one of the worst games I've played. Terrible and lazy level design was the biggest killer of it. It was like its devs just discovered copy&paste commands and they basically used them across entire levels. Only good thing was the introduction of the Flood through recordings and those creeps actually going at you. Aaaaand then ruined it with more horrendous copy&pasting of levels...

I personally didn't like the first Halo either, but I have much different reasons then you. The level design wasn't bad, in fact it was pretty good. Yes I can see why some people would say certain things were copy-pasted, but each level still felt pretty unique to me. Combat Evolved brought more attention into FPS on consoles, and it worked. Some could argue it was a evolutionary step for FPS games. Hopefully Bungie might assist with 343 Industries for Halo, but that's still uncertain.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Halo 1-3 are probably some of my all time favorite games. I know many people who really loved the original 3 halo games and I personally really enjoyed the campaign of each of them. I mean the halo franchise is a big reason why the Xbox 360 sold so well. It's sad what has become of the franchise at this point because I think the last halo worth playing was reach. While you may not have liked the series it won't change the fact that the game will always be held in high regard by many. 

Maybe it was great for console standards since there weren't many shooters and I can see why it worked with regenerative shield (clumsy control with gamepad). On PC however, we already had games that had extensive environments, advanced combat control and fidly fancy features like GHOUL in Soldier of Fortune or complex inventories like in System Shock and Deus Ex.

Don't care anything about Bungie though I wonder how Blizzard will fair from now on. I don't think I'll like their new IPs in future... 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Nice!  Expecting lots of good things with this news

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Independent or in Chinese hands? Not that i care to much… i'm following the development of a Chinese made strategy game and it looks darn oke 

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Independent or in Chinese hands? 

inb4 gobbled up by tencent 

22 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Translated:

Activision wanted a game that wasn't totally shit.

You mean...

Activision  Bungie wanted a game that wasn't totally shit.

I enjoyed Destiny 1 a lot.

A group of buddies and I were looking forward to Destiny 2 -- some of us even pre-ordered the game (I've been burned in the past for pre-ordering games, so never again). Played it frequent for about ... 2 ~ 3 months (?). Haven't touched it since.

How Blizzard has been falling apart from the inside as of late, something is not working out, it appears something is not right in the Activision side.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>