Glad Linus is willing to take a stance

lucagrabacr
Message added by SansVarnic

Just as a reminder, this discussion is not for political discussion... it is about a whether or not you are buying a book.

Keep it clean, keep it civil.

Would you buy Linus' book with his political views in it?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Linus' book with his political views in it?

• Yes
    • No

So I just watched LTT's Jan 4 2019 Livestream and was very pleasantly surprised that Linus is willing to take a stance on an ongoing cultural and political fiasco against entities (don't want to name names for those who might not know what I'm talking about and don't want to know or have anything to do about it) who, in the pursue of their interests, might directly or indirectly, voluntarily or involuntarily, hinder people's freedom of expression (among other things)

There's just so many layers to this whole ordeal, and I'm not gonna talk about all of it here, if you really don't want to know or have anything to do with it you can stop reading here. I mostly don't want to have anything to do with politics myself but a lot of people are basically forced to, because the thing is there are people out there who label even those who are politically neutral as things that they are not just because they don't agree with their obvious, blatant political agendas (Battlefield fans and gamers who are labeled "Sexists" and "Racists" just because they don't like BFV, for example, among many other fandoms and not just in gaming)

These people are willing to, and have, pushed clearly dystopian means (censorship, outrage culture) and sacrifice people's freedom of expression and freedom in general to forward their political agendas. It's really scary stuff and many have been affected by it, even the types my little brother watch and no one thought might ever get entangled with politics (PewDiePie, which made him talk against them, Ninja). 

So when Linus is willing to talk about it (I hear this is not the first time?), even as someone who's neutral but against the dystopian things I mentioned, I'm really glad because this brings the issue to many mainstream audience who might not be aware of the very real danger of it. I've always liked Linus, I think he's pretty entertaining and knowledgeable, but this elevates him in my eyes that he's willing to take some risk and not just gonna stay silent and let the civilized world as we know it go down the drain. You can even see Luke fidgeting a bit and kinda implied and tried to advise Linus why it might be a bad idea when Linus started talking about writing a book with his political views in it, it is that scary.

LF.thumb.png.a9ee00922037e96986b836215aede78e.png

I think it's best if he stays politically neutral, but having said that he can still bring up important issues.

So many issues nowadays are worldwide, and criticising individual people or parties isn't gonna resonate with everyone, and it might even put people off. What he could do is address the issue itself - like on freedom, he could say "I believe people should be free" rather than "I think Trudeau believes people should be free and that's why I voted for him". How applicable is a Trudeau comment to people in Poland compared to a comment on the policy at large?

When you get into the nitty gritty of people's opinions you tend to find party bias, which is where people tune out. Focussing on the issue is far more effective, and doesn't damage his impressions on 50% of the audience.

10 minutes ago, Mug said:

I think it's best if he stays politically neutral, but having said that he can still bring up important issues.

So many issues nowadays are worldwide, and criticising individual people or parties isn't gonna resonate with everyone, and it might even put people off. What he could do is address the issue itself - like on freedom, he could say "I believe people should be free" rather than "I think Trudeau believes people should be free and that's why I voted for him". How applicable is a Trudeau comment to people in Poland compared to a comment on the policy at large?

When you get into the nitty gritty of people's opinions you tend to find party bias, which is where people tune out. Focussing on the issue is far more effective, and doesn't damage his impressions on 50% of the audience.

I assume talking about the issues is what he meant by his "political views" (I could be wrong though) but people do tend to draw parallels between people's stances on things with their political leanings, so even just focusing on the issues and having a stance on them is almost synonymous with preferring certain political side these days, at least to my understanding.

Edit: I don't necessarily see it that way, but I think a lot of people do.

Edit 2: Picturing Linus dressing smart like Steve Jobs for the cover of his book :D 

Difficult to say, I have to agree with @Mug on this as I have always felt that celebrity status comes with a certain grain of salt and with that should stay neutral in politics unless they are specifically going run for office. 

If Linus wants to make a change using his position, he can in some ways, be effective. But it can also affect his business, some current or prospective vendors may not want to associate with him because of his taking a stance, its a poor business practice. This is why the first thing they teach in Business 101 is keep personal beliefs and business separate.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nah, I wouldn't buy his book just to find out what his political views are. Because I don't care.
I'm not watching LTT for his political views, I'm watching him for his tech knowledge while at the same time managing to make tech entertaining to watch. 
He could say "Hitler was right" for all I care and I'd still watch him.

While GN is probably better on the knowledge side, he's just too boring to watch IMO, his voice lull me into a stupor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

id personally rather watch it in a video... i'm to ADHD to read a book. but i have a feeling its going to be a very centrist view when it comes to most things. kind of a live an let live sort of deal, and respect is earned, not given or expected due to (insert minority groups here) which is the preferable. i also believe he much prefers meritocracy over affirmative action as well.

anyways that's just my predictions. i guess we will have to wait and find out, he might be an insane right winger dropping the black pill in his book, which i think would be pretty funny, or he could be a closet SJW which would be just disappointing :P

BUT at the end of the day, does it really matter? as long as it doesn't effect the quality of work he is producing, and i imagine nobody he works with cares that much, then its all good

33 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

So I just watched LTT's Jan 4 2019 Livestream and was very pleasantly surprised that Linus is willing to take a stance on an ongoing cultural and political fiasco against entities (don't want to name names for those who might not know what I'm talking about and don't want to know or have anything to do about it) who, in the pursue of their interests, might directly or indirectly, voluntarily or involuntarily, hinder people's freedom of expression (among other things)

If his opinions happen to be the exact opposite of yours, will you still be glad?

I don't want to know his opinions, because it will inevitably shift my view of him. Bias at a subconscious level is part of human nature. Also, his neutral stance as a company has been refreshing. In a world where nobody can go five minutes without trying to start a political fight, watching LMG videos has often been a good escape.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

While GN is probably better on the knowledge side, he's just too boring to watch IMO, his voice lull me into a stupor.

What, don't enjoy 30min GPU PCB analysis by Buildzoid? xD

I am torn - on the one hand, I'm apprehensive of the idea because I agree with @JoostinOnline - it's extremely hard to disassociate one person's views with your opinion of them, particularly when said opinions are strongly opposing your own.

On the other hand, I have to admit a certain kind of morbid curiosity.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If his opinions happen to be the exact opposite of yours, will you still be glad?

Honestly, I wouldn't. But the way he talked about the issue in the video indicated that he's a moderate or neutral and that he's against censorship (or big companies monopolizing the marketplace which are used by certain entities to effectively censor opposing opinions), which is what I'm referring to when I said I'm glad that he's willing to take a stance. It's around 25:50 in the video after he put on a recent video by Jordan Peterson

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't want to know his opinions, because it will inevitably shift my view of him. Bias at a subconscious level is part of human nature. Also, his neutral stance as a company has been refreshing. In a world where nobody can go five minutes without trying to start a political fight, watching LMG videos has often been a good escape.

Yeah, I agree with this. At some point the only way to control one's biases are to left them unfed.

I think it would be wise for him not to associate himself with any particular political view, unless it's necessary to defend his business. Taking a stance against article 13 would be a good example of this.

Starting a political discussion is a good way to build up heated discussions that leads nowhere and bad blood between people. Much like talking about religion.

2 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

The way he talked about the issue in the video indicated that he's a moderate or neutral and that he's against censorship (or big companies monopolizing the marketplace which are used by certain entities to effectively censor opposing opinions), which is what I'm referring to when I said I'm glad that he's willing to take a stance. It's around 25:50 in the video after he put on a recent video by Jordan Peterson

You're assuming his political views based on a somewhat cryptic comment. You could very easily be wrong. When your views are complex enough to fill a book, it's very unlikely that you'll agree with him on everything, or even more than half of things.

I try to stay up to date with politics, but sometimes it can get so depressing that I need to be away from the hostility. I have many friends and family with vastly different political views. We've learned the best way to stay happy is to not discuss them.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

the way he talked about the issue in the video indicated that he's a moderate or neutral and that he's against censorship (or big companies monopolizing the marketplace which are used by certain entities to effectively censor opposing opinions), which is what I'm referring to when I said I'm glad that he's willing to take a stance.

I am not so sure about this is and also moderate mean radically different things around the world.

Also you can be against "Big companies monopolizing the marketplace" and still have opinions that are considered radical by some people.

examples:

"The best way to stop companies from monopolizing the market place is to end the oppressive reign of the bourgeois company owners and make companies public property." - Marxism

"Institution is inherently bad and the actions of companies that censor people is just another example" - Anarchism

Sorry if I have misrepresented any views.

14 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You're assuming his political views based on a somewhat cryptic comment. You could very easily be wrong. When your views are complex enough to fill a book, it's very unlikely that you'll agree with him on everything, or even more than half of things.

I try to stay up to date with politics, but sometimes it can get so depressing that I need to be away from the hostility. I have many friends and family with vastly different political views. We've learned the best way to stay happy is to not discuss them.

13 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I am not so sure about this is and also moderate mean radically different things around the world.

Also you can be against "Big companies monopolizing the marketplace" and still have opinions that are considered radical by some people.

examples:

"The best way to stop companies from monopolizing the market place is to end the oppressive reign of the bourgeois company owners and make companies public property." - Marxism

"Institution is inherently bad and the actions of companies that censor people is just another example" - Anarchism

Sorry if I have misrepresented any views.

I never said I'm glad about his stance, opinions or views on everything, just this particular issue, which is quite clear from his actions and how he talked about it.

Perhaps my wording wasn't explicit enough when talking about it, if it wasn't then I'm sorry for the confusion

Edited by lucagrabacr
Adding stuff

I see I sided with the sane majority. We come to linus for tech, & subliminal/blunt bad genitalia jokes. Not for political insight nor military strategy. 

Spoiler

1FE3B910-CFCC-49F1-945F-5F8990A9C4A5.thumb.png.9472004919b6855c824ea05f00358131.png

I'd buy it and read it. Is it a bad idea? Likely, given the mob mentality of people today. I do appreciate that if he does do so, he's gating it behind a book. Rather than regurgitating it on a platform such as twitter that force feeds that content to everyone and alienates people that don't care for it.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

When your views are complex enough to fill a book, it's very unlikely that you'll agree with him on everything, or even more than half of things.

He said it would be a small portion of the book, as in a chapter. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

keep personal beliefs and business separate.

now if someone could remind silicon valley of that lmao

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

53 minutes ago, vetali said:

He said it would be a small portion of the book, as in a chapter.  

I forgot about that, as I watched it late at night.

Anyway, I still wouldn't read it. I'm quite sure if I read it then I would develop a bias (possibly even a positive one, but a bias none the less).

10 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

Linus is willing to take a stance on

Well atleast he is taking a stance on something, however meaningful/less it is, he doesnt do it on other basic things in Canadian society.

I buy books for political views from politicians, I’d buy a tech view book from Linus 

I don’t think there’s any views Linus would hold that would be particularly controversial. 

Not to to put words in his mouth, He’s a medium-sized business owner with a family and also knows his company has a responsibility to his employees at the very least. While his views on social issues are less well-known, it’d be a fair guess that he would be fairly centrist with a slight lean either way, as most rational well-informed people would be.

The most controversial he could get would be that he’s a complete libertarian and is absolutely against regulation, which isn’t that controversial nor likely given what he’s said on those topics before. Or that he is spectacularly misinformed on something that might effect his credibility, which would also be incredibly unlikely. Or he wants to remove taxes on socks when bought in conjunction with sandals.

He's Gayboy dude...think's the shit was ever work or whatever bullshit and cries out to sponsors and the shit he does....While some of us wouldn't do that shit to them and just cool what are we looking at today stuff. 

2600x 4.3ghz-Loop

Msi X470 gaming plus

EVGA SuperSC CL16 3200 16gb

gtx 1060

pny nvme 480gb

mushkin eco3 480gb

Sound Blaster Audigy FX

Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w.

Sure why not I like books.

As long as it's a printed book and not some ebook nonsense

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers