My friend is looking to buy a iphone xr!? Help me persuade him not to buy!!

dgsddfgdfhgs

It's 800 bucks. OnePlus is 500 bucks. That's all the reasons you need 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

14 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I personally hate its product since ip 3,

IMO, the xr has small lcd screen, 5.2" @ 16:9 ratio

very heavy, very expensive storage, no fastcharge included.

it cannot be used after 3 years on average etc

anything good / bad I missed?

In addition to what Darkseth said about your getting the figures all wrong...

Please don't try to dissuade someone from buying a phone simply because you, personally, don't want it.  It's not going to be your phone, it's theirs.  So long as it meets their needs and makes them happy, that's all that matters.

14 hours ago, Darkseth said:

excuse me what? Can you please send a link to the product? Because i think you're talking about a different iPhone Xr than currently exists.

iPhone Xr has a 6,1" Display, with a wider 18,x : 9 ratio (100% NOT 16:9), with allscreen design like the other iPhone X lineup.

Storage doubling from 64 to 128 (which both is enough for MOST people) cost only 60-70 bucks, which is very fair.

very heavy: I had it in my hands, no issues. My Oneplus 6t weights 185g, which was an outragous number few years ago. I have zero issues with the weight, using it all day.

No Fast charge included: Yep, that's a bummer. Most charge it overnight, so it might be not an issue. Otherwise: Buy one.

I know someone, who bought this one for his iPhone Xs (Max): https://www.amazon.de/GVOO-Netzteil-Ladegerät-Schnellladegerät-andere-Weiß/dp/B07CWTG2QN

These are his numbers with it:

30min 4-57%
40min 4-67%
72 min 4-92%

Tbh, and what most reviewers say after they used it themself, instead of only reading some numbers on paper:

it's a solid iphone, with the same "iOS experience" as the other one.

If someone prefers iOS instead of Android, there is no real reason NOT to buy the iPhone Xr.

The Xs and Xs max are MUCH more expensive, deliver some better specs, but the ultimate "iOS Experience" will be the same.

The 1 year old iPhone X shouldn't be much more expensive than the iPhone Xr, so this is a solid alternative for someone, who wants the Oled screen.

Cannot be used after 3 years on average: Why not? Does it suddenly explode? stops working?

Apple delivers 5 years Updates for their iPhones. Friend of mine still has an iPhone 5s, that launched 2013. He has this phone now since like 4 1/2 Years, with only 16gb Storage. It still works. Storage was a problem years ago, but it works. Even if it's really time for a new phone.

So in short: If he prefers iOS over Android, there is no Reason to not get an iPhone Xr.

And no Android phone will ever make sense here, because they have a different OS.

This has NOTHING to do with "luxury" or "Status symbol". This has everything to do with simply offering a different Operating System, with it's own Features, that Android does NOT offer.

However: If he's fine with Android, there are alot of cheaper phones, that aren't really worse. Half price of an iPhone Xr for example LG G7 ThinQ, which dropped in price alot.

Oneplus 6, or the new 6t (which has a better battery life than any iphone, and isn't noticeably slower).

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 if you don't need NFC, or Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi Mix 2s.

Galaxy S9+ also droped.

Or if he doesn't need "flaggship power", many midrange devices below 200-300.

No. It is NOT the same Display, it CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE!!!

You can see that if you simply look at the size. 4" is NOT the Same as 6.1".

4 = 6,1 is mathematically wrong. Every First grader can see that.

It is the same basic Panel technology: IPS LCD. But it is NOT the same Display. It is STILL a better LCD screen than iPHone 5 had. Better colors, contrast, brightness, etc etc etc.

What about professional PC Monitors for 1500€ with IPS screen for professional work? Are they all Bad because they still use LCD?

Is their image quality exactly the same as a 100€ cheap monitor with IPS?

Seriously.. Argue as much as you want, but please, inform yourself first about what you're actually talking about. Some uninformed  biased anti-fanboy-Crap like this is not helping Anyone :/ Stay objective, and stick to the Facts.

argue what i want? oh fun. i can get a 400 euro phone with a better looking oled screen, higher graphical performence according to 3dmark slingshot opengl on a fairly well built openbsd/linux based system. now you again

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

1.) iPhone XR has a 6.1” display with a aspect ratio of 19.5:9 with the most color accurate panel on the market for an LCD. 

2.) It weighs hardly anything more than other iPhones. iPhone XR weighs 194 grams, my iPhone 6s Plus weighs 192 grams. The weight argument is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

3.) The base storage option is 64GB (already more than enough for most people including myself) and it only costs $50 more to double that to 128GB. It’s Apples cheapest storage actually

3.) The fast charging not being included is actually the only truthful and accurate thing you’ve managed to say

4.) iPhone XR, like all iPhones, will be supported until the hardware is incapable of running the latest software. iPhone XR will easily have a usable life of a least 4 years. So your claim that iPhones don’t last or that Apple makes you upgrade is a complete lie. 

1. for an lcd. well said. but say hello to oled what we expect at that priceclass

2. weigt is important? since when?

3. yep, 800 bucks and still a plain charger included, and about 100 bucks to buy one

4. true, but we can flash newer versions on it, so we don't really miss out on anything...

15 hours ago, Darkseth said:

excuse me what? Can you please send a link to the product? Because i think you're talking about a different iPhone Xr than currently exists.

iPhone Xr has a 6,1" Display, with a wider 18,x : 9 ratio (100% NOT 16:9), with allscreen design like the other iPhone X lineup.

Storage doubling from 64 to 128 (which both is enough for MOST people) cost only 60-70 bucks, which is very fair.

very heavy: I had it in my hands, no issues. My Oneplus 6t weights 185g, which was an outragous number few years ago. I have zero issues with the weight, using it all day.

yes, its 6.1" on paper @19.5:9, but when you exclude the notch, round edges and measure it in 16:9 which is more realistic and comparable in daily use, say watching a un deformed youtube . so that would be 5.2" at 16"9 

you can buy the best(samsung evo?) external sd card for $28 compare to that of xr offers. 

at least data is recoverable and will last 10yr in warranty.

weight issue? for such a small phone 194g having same / 5g more than samsung s9+.... just doesnt make sense.  I used small and big phones, Id say s6 edge felt best at 132g.

I really wanted to help him going away from this curse as he has already 4 bricks of iphone 4" unknown model unusable.

32 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

yes, its 6.1" on paper @19.5:9, but when you exclude the notch, round edges and measure it in 16:9 which is more realistic and comparable in daily use, say watching a un deformed youtube . so that would be 5.2" at 16"9 

Completely incorectIMG_7355.thumb.PNG.6b60621d0b0f68d19c4e917907d78a6b.PNG

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

3.) The base storage option is 64GB (already more than enough for most people including myself) and it only costs $50 more to double that to 128GB. It’s Apples cheapest storage actually.

Can confirm. I own the 256GB iPhone X, haven't used anything near that and I have 3000+ photos/videos and a crap ton of apps, some I don't even use and legit forgot I even installed. In a good few years when this phone is finally getting slow (my 6 Plus is a bit laggy sometimes but it's been beat to shit and dented/bent a crap ton of times, whereas my iPad Mini 2 with the same SoC as the iPhone 5S, the A7, is still perfectly usable and pretty snappy on iOS 12), I'll just get a base 64GB phone, or sooner if I have to swap phones to swap carriers. Not really a need for more storage unless you download an incredibly obscene amount of music, a bunch of movies, or you're filming 4K60fps footage all the time.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

27 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Completely incorect

how incorect? its only 2.54" width

so at 16:9 height will be 4.516"

the diag will be only 5.18"

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

how incorect? its only 2.54" width

so at 16:9 height will be 4.516"

the diag will be only 5.18"

Did you look at that chart? iPhone XR has more screen area than everything other than the Xs Max. Area is how big the screen actually is, not how big you think it is. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Did you look at that chart? iPhone XR has more screen area than everything other than the Xs Max. Area is how big the screen actually is, not how big you think it is. 

sure it has more area but it is at 19.5 :9 , being just taller...

while most of the time for photo and video the effective ratio is still 16:9

which cant make use of the deformed aspect ratio and thus will be shrink.

28 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

That's the same as pretty much any other modern phone, they've all switched to taller screens because people mostly need space for scrolling and apps on phones are optimized for that and vertical space, most of the time you're not watching tons of video on your phone. If that's the main use case then a tablet or heck, a full size TV is usually cheaper and does the job much better than any phone.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

muh apple

Here's the thing: does he like iOS or Android more?

The Xr isn't a bad phone, even for its money. Yeah, the screen isn't 1080p, but if I were to be honest, the screen's pixel density proves that resolution really is just a number. Sure, it's an LCD, but Apple makes some of the best LCD screens on the market.

How in the HELL is the Xr heavy? You want heavy, see how smartphones were in 2010. Those I don't even think are heavy, but most of the 2010 flagships are considerably heavier than most modern smartphones.

Storage options... for an iPhone, actually aren't that expensive. Yeah, there's numerous Android devices where you can throw a microSD card in, but on the topic of iPhones, storage isn't a huge expense this time around.

Lemme ask you this: is fast charging a feature he's going to use? No, genuine question. I'm not being cocky or anything, will he use fast charging?

The hell do you mean "can't be used after three years"? The iPhone 6 is four and that's still going strong and will be for at least another major iOS release.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

argue what i want? oh fun. i can get a 400 euro phone with a better looking oled screen, higher graphical performence according to 3dmark slingshot opengl on a fairly well built openbsd/linux based system. now you again

Easy: It will not be iOS, which is what some people actually prefer and want.

It doesn't matter what Android delivers you, it will be the wrong OS.

8 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

You are missing an important Point here:

The Display IS NOT 16:9, so that numbers is just in your Fantasy. It is a 6:1 screen, and not 5:2. Period. There is no argue about that, you just have to use your Eyes.

Many Youtube videos are shoot in 2:1 even, and there is a world outside youtube too, where the wider 18,5 : 9 format is much better than 16:9.

21 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Easy: It will not be iOS, which is what some people actually prefer and want.

It doesn't matter what Android delivers you, it will be the wrong OS.

i know that argument. from one side it makes sense. but the linux community does what is wanted, and ios skins exist. i just want to show that an xr isn't the best value, nothing more.

Why does it matter to you what he chooses as his personal phone? He'll be the one using it not you and if he wants an iPhone then so be it.

I find this post rather childish, I'm not a fan of Samsung phones but I dont see the point in trying to persuade someone not to buy one because I'm not a fan of them, my opinion has absolutely 0 impact on their experience.

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i know that argument. from one side it makes sense. but the linux community does what is wanted, and ios skins exist. i just want to show that an xr isn't the best value, nothing more.

It's not because of the Looks.

It's the features and Ecosystem. It works seamless with iPads and macbooks (maybe he has an IPad?), Airdrop is a Feature, i don't know why Google hasn't been smart enough to make something similar for Android.. It's just soo damn good.

Seriously, this is godsent if you have ever used that. Android has NOTHING that comes even close to that, if you want to share files between multiple Devices. There are Apps for that, but that requires many many more clicks. 

Maybe some Friends use iMessage, and refuse to jump to Whatsapp like every other human does? lol.

It's the App sortiment, several Apps aren't available on Android, and if they are, they could be of lower Quality. Well, this is more of an Argument for iOS users, who already have something like that.

But you are absolutely correct, as a smartphone, even the Budget iPhone Xr has a horribly bad value. That "crown" goes more into the direction of the Pocophone F1, or maybe Xiaomi Note 5/6 (150 bucks).

But if anyone really prefers and needs iOS for whatever Reason he has... It's one of the cheapest possibilities, unless you want the outdated iPhone 7/8 design.

I can really understand when someone does prefer iOS. I have an iPad Pro, and it does have several perks over Android. And at the same time, several disadvantages too.

But yea, unless someone really wants iOS only, i NEVER recommend iPhones, simply because of the Price.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

It's not because of the Looks.

It's the features and Ecosystem. It works seamless with iPads and macbooks (maybe he has an IPad?), Airdrop is a Feature, i don't know why Google hasn't been smart enough to make something similar for Android.. It's just soo damn good.

Seriously, this is godsent if you have ever used that. Android has NOTHING that comes even close to that, if you want to share files between multiple Devices. There are Apps for that, but that requires many many more clicks. 

Maybe some Friends use iMessage, and refuse to jump to Whatsapp like every other human does? lol.

It's the App sortiment, several Apps aren't available on Android, and if they are, they could be of lower Quality. Well, this is more of an Argument for iOS users, who already have something like that.

But you are absolutely correct, as a smartphone, even the Budget iPhone Xr has a horribly bad value. That "crown" goes more into the direction of the Pocophone F1, or maybe Xiaomi Note 5/6 (150 bucks).

But if anyone really prefers and needs iOS for whatever Reason he has... It's one of the cheapest possibilities, unless you want the outdated iPhone 7/8 design.

I can really understand when someone does prefer iOS. I have an iPad Pro, and it does have several perks over Android. And at the same time, several disadvantages too.

But yea, unless someone really wants iOS only, i NEVER recommend iPhones, simply because of the Price.

and we can argue all day when I do this the same on my side... I think it's safe to say that it's op's friends choise, not ours. we gave some valid arguments, and there shouldn't be a need for a flamewar between us (and other users). because when it comes to android vs apple, it's a endless discussion

12 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Please stop pushing this argument.

I have an iPhone XS, and it's not effectively 16:9.  Most of the time you're looking at portrait mode apps and get much more space.  And when you're looking at photos or videos, you still tend to get more than 16:9 because you can either zoom in to photos or play videos at wider aspect ratios.  Compared to my old iPhone 7, which is only slightly physically smaller, the XS has much more breathing room.

And again: please, instead of trying to impose your tastes on someone else, why don't you just let them get the phone they want and enjoy it?  Unless it's going to explode or give them the plague, it won't hurt either of you.  Be a good person and respect their wishes.

This thread is the epitome of "People should only get what I want!" 

And frankly, I am very sick and tired of it. 

If your friend wants an iPhone XR, then just let him have it. Why should it bother you just because it's something you don't like? Instead of asking whether that phone is the one you like and one that fits your needs, maybe ask whether it's the phone that he likes and whether that phone fits his requirements. 

You are free to give recommendations, but you have to understand exactly what your friend wants and why he wants it. Only then can you freely offer other recommendations. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Gotta agree with the last few less "I hate Apple products so you should too!" posts here.

If you want to dissuade him from spending too much money, for whatever reason, maybe suggest a refurbished unit?

They are usually just 14day returns and are in perfect condition at a much lower price. If he really wants an iPhone, consider the 8? or 8plus?

If for whatever reason you still need reasons why he shouldn't buy an XR, well, here are some. 

• If he doesn't like iOS (since he is considering an iPhone in the first place, I doubt that's a reason that applies) 
  • If he needs a headphone jack
  • If he wants a higher resolution display (honestly, even though I still would've preferred 1080p-ish, for daily use, the XR's screen is fine. Not fantastic, but fine) 

That's really not much. There's also the pricing factor as you can get a OnePlus 6T for a pretty solid price, but that also brings in the question of whether he is fine with using an Android phone, especially if he has been using iPhones for a while 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The iPhone XR is a really good phone. I can’t imagine anybody being upset owning a XR. You have some of the best battery life and performance out of any phone. And the camera performance is fantastic. The screen looks great in person too. I just have one gripe with it, and it’s an odd one: the iPhone 6S, 7, 8 and X are damn good phones too. And they’re a lot cheaper, especially used. 

I think it’s ludicrous to say that the LG G7, Pocophone are “better”. These 2 phones have been known to not have the best software experience. I don’t trust the longevity of Google’s Pixel phones either. How good will the Pixel 3 be in 2 or 3 years? Nexus phones don’t have the best track record. So I don’t trust Pixel phones. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

I think it’s ludicrous to say that the LG G7, Pocophone are “better”.

I think they're better from a value standpoint, especially for the latter. For what you're paying for, it's a pretty stellar experience for the price.

However, even value can be considered subjective these days, owing to the financial ability of an individual.

10 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The iPhone XR is a really good phone. I can’t imagine anybody being upset owning a XR. You have some of the best battery life and performance out of any phone. And the camera performance is fantastic. The screen looks great in person too. I just have one gripe with it, and it’s an odd one: the iPhone 6S, 7, 8 and X are damn good phones too. And they’re a lot cheaper, especially used. 

I think it’s ludicrous to say that the LG G7, Pocophone are “better”. These 2 phones have been known to not have the best software experience. I don’t trust the longevity of Google’s Pixel phones either. How good will the Pixel 3 be in 2 or 3 years? Nexus phones don’t have the best track record. So I don’t trust Pixel phones. 

Pixel is the best for vanilla Android. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, wasab said:

Pixel is the best for vanilla Android. 

I am not convinced! At launch the Pixel 3 and 3XL had so many bugs that took a while to fix. There aren’t too many stock Android phones out there, so it’s like the Pixel 3 is the de-facto winner. But that’s nothing to celebrate. If I had to buy an Android phone with my own money at full retail price it would be either the OnePlus 6T or Samsung S9. And I’m leaning towards the S9 because it’s smaller and has better speakers. Everyone seems to forget that the OnePlus 6T has mediocre speakers, especially compared to an iPhone XR.