My friend is looking to buy a iphone xr!? Help me persuade him not to buy!!

dgsddfgdfhgs

I personally hate its product since ip 3,

IMO, the xr has small lcd screen, 5.2" @ 16:9 ratio

very heavy, very expensive storage, no fastcharge included.

it cannot be used after 3 years on average etc

anything good / bad I missed?

liquid retina: o wait, we call that lcd

camera is pretty good for a SINGLE camera

it's apple...

at least it's aluminium, not plasic like the 5c

does he really need apple? android has so much to offer...

I bought a mi8 myself for the price of a iphone 6s/7

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

liquid retina: o wait, we call that lcd

woah holy shit the same display on the iphone5? damn thats freaking innovation baby.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

9 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Honestly just get a pixel 3 xl, the price is about the same and unlimited cloud storage... why am i not getting paid for this. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

i mean, apple products aren't necassarily bad.
i switched to an iphone about a year ago (6s plus)
and it's been working flawlessly ever since.
they are certainly not the best, but they are also not bad either.
only real issue i have is how locked down everything is

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

does he really need apple? android has so much to offer.

thats true, he is still using a ip6(s) for data and his work, (no idea)

but I know most of them is paid to use, is there any easy way to switch those data to android?

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

thx all, I will keep on helping this stubborn friend 

try a side by side comparison 

it's an overpriced locked down platform that is designed to have a short lifespan so you'll buy the new one next year.

if you're fine with that, go ahead and maker the dive.

there's not to be reasoned, only to state the core fact and let people decide what they want, because it's a free nation after all.

he's free to buy an iPhone, you're free to think he's an absolute idiot.

The only Iphone that was wprth buying was the Iphone 6s. 

Other than that, any other is just not worth it.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it's an overpriced locked down platform that is designed to have a short lifespan so you'll buy the new one next year.

there's not to be reasoned, only to state the core fact and let people decide what they want, because it's a free nation after all.

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

thx all, I will keep on helping this stubborn friend 

honestly the only reason i have to stick with iphones is cause my watch :c but i have multiple phones so mehhh. 

7 minutes ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

woah holy shit the same display on the iphone5? damn thats freaking innovation baby.

not excatly, but still... can't wait for @DrMacintosh showing us the same video once again.

ITS STILL 720P

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

absolutly agree, I would highly recommend letting him look at phones like these:

xiaomi mi 8

xiaomi pocophone f1

huawei p20 series

huawei mate 20 series

oneplus 6/6t

Samsung galaxy s9/note 9

LG g7 thinq

google pixel 3/3xl

asus zenphone 5z

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not excatly, but still... can't wait for @DrMacintosh showing us the same video once again.

ITS STILL 720P

absolutly agree, I would highly recommend letting him look at phones like these:

xiaomi mi 8

xiaomi pocophone f1

huawei p20 series

huawei mate 20 series

oneplus 6/6t

Samsung galaxy s9/note 9

LG g7 thinq

google pixel 3/3xl

asus zenphone 5z

they all lack one very important feature:

they arent "iPhone"

in the end there's just people who spend more on stuff because it says "luxury" on the back. as long as monster cable exists we have bigger issues than people paying more for inferior phones.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

they all lack one very important feature:

they arent "iPhone"

in the end there's just people who spend more on stuff because it says "luxury" on the back. as long as monster cable exists we have bigger issues than people paying more for inferior phones.

agree, but they are performencewise about the same, have their own special functions (oled, amp/dac, camera, things like that)

I actually bought a mi8 a while back, and I don't see why you would even buy higher end except for that "luxery brand" reason

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

agree, but they are performencewise about the same, have their own special functions (oled, amp/dac, camera, things like that)

I actually bought a mi8 a while back, and I don't see why you would even buy higher end except for that "luxery brand" reason

that's exactly the reason.

it's shallow people buying a product that portrays their class.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

And if you want luxury. There is allways the Huawei Pro series like the P20 Pro and Mate 20 PRO which honestly are a lot more fancy than "another iphone"

20 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Overpriced? Yes, but may be worth it if you can use the device to its fullest.

Locked down? Compared to Android, yes. But does a normal, non-technical consumer care? No.

Short lifespan? BS. Apple provides software updates for longer than any Android manufacturer does. iOS 12 was released to 2015 devices (6S, 6S Plus), limited support for some older ones (5S, 6, 6 Plus).

Apple devices last pretty good, it's the Android devices that start getting slow, get software issues eventually. Battery is weak point for both sides anyway. Secondly, Apple, of all phone manufacturers, has taken pretty good stance on user data security and privacy.

To be clear, I am an Android user (OnePlus 3T) and will continue to be, simply because I am that technical and I enjoy Android features. But I am familiar with the Apple ecosystem and it works great, there is no manufacturer that can provide same, or even similar, experience.

Now, to OP - why do you care what phone he uses or what he spends his money on? If he wants to try it, let him. If he doesn't like it, he has learned a lesson and has the experience and knowledge from his own usage, not from someone's else's words (maybe someone who had not that great experience). It's his money.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

if everyone else has one that makes it worth it because you can't connect android and apple connect together

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Locked down? Compared to Android, yes. But does a normal, non-technical consumer care? No.

does the technical one care? yes

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Short lifespan? BS. Apple provides software updates for longer than any Android manufacturer does. iOS 12 was released to 2015 devices (6S, 6S Plus), limited support for some older ones (5S, 6, 6 Plus).

say that to the small battery in it...

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

pple devices last pretty good, it's the Android devices that start getting slow, get software issues eventually. Battery is weak point for both sides anyway.

we'll talk about the other gates later... but don't say they don't have problems, they have as many if not more than an avarage android device, so disagree too

not fanboying, android has their problems too, but don't say apple never does, because they still do

7 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

What does it do that any other device does for cheaper (dont pull the animated emoji gimmick)

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

say that to the small battery in it...

The way companies compensate degredation by shoving massive batteries in them is great. Idk of my phone looses 20% capacity over 3-4 years if it has battery that is 4000mha. Ive still got more than most new phones at that point

Iphones (after my extencive experience with multiple units) do not fair well in the cold compared to every other phone ive had. (From my Nokia brickphone to Lumia 640 to my huawei Mate 9 Pro to a Sony somethingsomething model)

Edit: correct me if this has changed, but people here sell cellphone warmers or bags to keep the phones in to keep them from shutting down in cold weather

8 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Apple devices last pretty good, it's the Android devices that start getting slow, get software issues eventually. Battery is weak point for both sides anyway. Secondly, Apple, of all phone manufacturers, has taken pretty good stance on user data security and privacy.

To be clear, I am an Android user (OnePlus 3T) and will continue to be, simply because I am that technical and I enjoy Android features. But I am familiar with the Apple ecosystem and it works great, there is no manufacturer that can provide same, or even similar, experience.

Now, to OP - why do you care what phone he uses or what he spends his money on? If he wants to try it, let him. If he doesn't like it, he has learned a lesson and has the experience and knowledge from his own usage, not from someone's else's words (maybe someone who had not that great experience). It's his money.

i've got some first hand experience with said updates.. and it aint good.

i've also got first hand experiences with devices randomly bricking, sudden battery issues, etc.

i'd be fine with all of that if they wouldnt make it twice the price of a comparable product, while engineering them to be as unrepairable as possible.

and as for regular user.. my dad has an iphone, he uses it to make phone calls.. but with about 60% of cases where he wants to do something else it's either a matter of "not gonna happen" or "only in this specific way that you dont like"

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

excuse me what? Can you please send a link to the product? Because i think you're talking about a different iPhone Xr than currently exists.

iPhone Xr has a 6,1" Display, with a wider 18,x : 9 ratio (100% NOT 16:9), with allscreen design like the other iPhone X lineup.

Storage doubling from 64 to 128 (which both is enough for MOST people) cost only 60-70 bucks, which is very fair.

very heavy: I had it in my hands, no issues. My Oneplus 6t weights 185g, which was an outragous number few years ago. I have zero issues with the weight, using it all day.

No Fast charge included: Yep, that's a bummer. Most charge it overnight, so it might be not an issue. Otherwise: Buy one.

I know someone, who bought this one for his iPhone Xs (Max): https://www.amazon.de/GVOO-Netzteil-Ladegerät-Schnellladegerät-andere-Weiß/dp/B07CWTG2QN

These are his numbers with it:

30min 4-57%
40min 4-67%
72 min 4-92%

Tbh, and what most reviewers say after they used it themself, instead of only reading some numbers on paper:

it's a solid iphone, with the same "iOS experience" as the other one.

If someone prefers iOS instead of Android, there is no real reason NOT to buy the iPhone Xr.

The Xs and Xs max are MUCH more expensive, deliver some better specs, but the ultimate "iOS Experience" will be the same.

The 1 year old iPhone X shouldn't be much more expensive than the iPhone Xr, so this is a solid alternative for someone, who wants the Oled screen.

Cannot be used after 3 years on average: Why not? Does it suddenly explode? stops working?

Apple delivers 5 years Updates for their iPhones. Friend of mine still has an iPhone 5s, that launched 2013. He has this phone now since like 4 1/2 Years, with only 16gb Storage. It still works. Storage was a problem years ago, but it works. Even if it's really time for a new phone.

So in short: If he prefers iOS over Android, there is no Reason to not get an iPhone Xr.

And no Android phone will ever make sense here, because they have a different OS.

This has NOTHING to do with "luxury" or "Status symbol". This has everything to do with simply offering a different Operating System, with it's own Features, that Android does NOT offer.

However: If he's fine with Android, there are alot of cheaper phones, that aren't really worse. Half price of an iPhone Xr for example LG G7 ThinQ, which dropped in price alot.

Oneplus 6, or the new 6t (which has a better battery life than any iphone, and isn't noticeably slower).

Xiaomi Pocophone F1 if you don't need NFC, or Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi Mix 2s.

Galaxy S9+ also droped.

Or if he doesn't need "flaggship power", many midrange devices below 200-300.

1 hour ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

No. It is NOT the same Display, it CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE!!!

You can see that if you simply look at the size. 4" is NOT the Same as 6.1".

4 = 6,1 is mathematically wrong. Every First grader can see that.

It is the same basic Panel technology: IPS LCD. But it is NOT the same Display. It is STILL a better LCD screen than iPHone 5 had. Better colors, contrast, brightness, etc etc etc.

What about professional PC Monitors for 1500€ with IPS screen for professional work? Are they all Bad because they still use LCD?

Is their image quality exactly the same as a 100€ cheap monitor with IPS?

Seriously.. Argue as much as you want, but please, inform yourself first about what you're actually talking about. Some uninformed  biased anti-fanboy-Crap like this is not helping Anyone :/ Stay objective, and stick to the Facts.

6 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the xr has small lcd screen, 5.2" @ 16:9 ratio

1.) iPhone XR has a 6.1” display with a aspect ratio of 19.5:9 with the most color accurate panel on the market for an LCD. 

2.) It weighs hardly anything more than other iPhones. iPhone XR weighs 194 grams, my iPhone 6s Plus weighs 192 grams. The weight argument is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

3.) The base storage option is 64GB (already more than enough for most people including myself) and it only costs $50 more to double that to 128GB. It’s Apples cheapest storage actually. 

3.) The fast charging not being included is actually the only truthful and accurate thing you’ve managed to say

4.) iPhone XR, like all iPhones, will be supported until the hardware is incapable of running the latest software. iPhone XR will easily have a usable life of a least 4 years. So your claim that iPhones don’t last or that Apple makes you upgrade is a complete lie. 

C37C0191-9202-4B9B-90C4-E071CC08DF39.jpeg.9a9aea6b791d88faeef0771452cf7676.jpeg

iPhone XR is a compelling option for people that don’t want to spend $1,000 but still want an iPhone X like experience. I cannot recommend against the iPhone XR. 

People who hate it were never going to buy it and already made up their minds before participating in the conversation and have no intention of listing to other opinions. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)