how loneliness am i? (psychological test)

zassou

a quick quiz based on ucla loneliness scale.

https://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/loneliness-quiz.cgi

(also inspired by this dong video: https://youtu.be/ktfBjZnHnSI)

the word loneliness and alone have very different meaning to me, loneliness means a desire for social interaction, while alone means the status of solitude.

i prefer alone because in my mind that brings inner peace. (but seems that is not a popular opinion.

anyway post the scale if you like, ill keep mine for later.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I too prefer being alone in my room, but that's because I'm playing online with my friends. Does that still count as being alone?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

I too prefer being alone in my room, but that's because I'm playing online with my friends. Does that still count as being alone?

not quite, online friends are still a way to communicate imo

still it could be much better if you have real life one, especially if you face real life problem

edit: i scored 23...

I'm never alone, there are 3 different people in my head fighting for my attention.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

this is my score. and i think this tool, not necessary the scale itself, is somewhat biased.

for some people, myself included, social interaction is uncomfortable, and solitude is prefered. i am perfectly capable of having a nice convo, but i just not having fun from it.

american society is expecting people to connect, to be an extrovert. everywhere you look is networking, schools, business and institutions alike.

for people with good hearing and sight, a person born without vision is disabled. while not necessary everything in the real world is designed for these folks, they do form a society their own, some even developed the ability of echo location, like bats and dolphins. from their perspective, arent we all disabled?

(personal opinion btw)

Snipaste_2018-12-19_17-20-01.png

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I've yet to see internet surveys, tests, etc. that were not heavily biased in one way or another. Pretty much all surveys/tests are biased in some way or another (try going to a Christian Coollege and taking the MMPI and answer the question, "Do you have a good sex life?" Talk about a loaded question!).

Most of these tests and surveys are designed for personal data harvesting of some form or another (some even spread malware) so, along with how badly they are written, I never click on them.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

23, i do feel a bit alone sometimes, but ehh i have plenty of friends around

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Loneliness is not about quantity but about quality.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Quiz is bullshit. 

I love being alone which is why I got no friends in my new town. I need nobody and yet I scored 19.

13 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Quiz is bullshit. 

I love being alone which is why I got no friends in my new town. I need nobody and yet I scored 19.

I scored 31.. New high score!

MY SCORE: FOREVER ALONE

forever-alone-800.jpg

Edited by RejZoR
FOREVER ALONE

Wops, it was not deliberately cheating tho lol

image.png.242e8b2270b5c56a6e0fe4be81f409df.png

This is a bit saddening to see... 

I scored 19. I'd be interested to know how the number of Facebook Friends affects the result. Does it make you lonelier or less lonely?

Either way if you're concerned about your loneliness then you should reach out, join a club or something. Your brain is designed to love having company so starving It of that will just make you hate it more when you're around others as you'll be more anxious. There's plenty of stuff you could be doing, but loneliness is a downward spiral that you will need to get yourself out of at some point.

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Excellent video but she left out one important factor that can cause test result bias: how the person taking the test interprets the questions vs how the person(s) evaluating the test interprets the answers. Just why one is taking a test and where the test is taken affects how a test subject will interpret the question, which skews the results, or may cause the subject to deliberately skew the answers (btw, despite claims of certain tests, such as the MMPI, to be "unbeatable", the fact is tests can be beaten; see below). A person taking a specific test as part of applying for a job is going to interpret the questions differently from when the same person is taking the same test for applying to a school or taking the test as part of court ordered counseling or evaluation. Taking any given test in ifferent locations in the country or the world will also skew test results becasue of the regional attitudes and beliefs of both the test subjects and those evaluating the test.

The MMPI (Minnesota MultiPhasic Index) claimed for years to be unbeatable. In other words, one could not deliberately hide anything about themselves when taking the test. I've taken it three times. Yet, the first two times I took it, I was able to hide that I'm transgender (the third time, I did not try to hide it). Each time, I had a different motivation for how I answered the test questions. Ironically, the same Psychologist adminstered the test the second and third time  took it. Needless to say, she was blown way that I had successfully hid that I'm transgender the first time she administered the test to me (she shouldn't have been, though; I just was her first to "admit" having faked it).

Keep in mind, the times I took the MMPI were between three and five decades ago. The first time, I was afraid of being labeled a pervert and would get kicked out of college. The second time was similar only I was afraid of destroying my marriage and possibly losing my job (in retrospect, I probably would have been better off if the marriage had ended then instead of later). The third time, I no longer cared since I was already out and took the test as part of the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care while preparing to transition from livingas a man to being the woman I should have been born as.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I scored a 10. But then again I live a simple life out on the highways of the US and Canada. I'm only physically home 5 days a month at the most. Been doing this for nearly 20 years. So no biggie not talking to people or being around them. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

You're never truly alone, when you have the internet.

Score of 18, normal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Quiz is bullshit. 

Same score, also a card-carrying introvert.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

15. I have a pretty small world but it's not a lonely one.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Got 25 but I don’t feel lonely. 10 questions aren’t a good assessment I feel. 

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Got 25 but I don’t feel lonely. 10 questions aren’t a good assessment I feel. 

I agree with you, 10 questions just isn't enough. These web quizzes have always been inaccurate in some way, shape or form though.

I got 35 "Extreme Loneliness" yet I don't feel EXTREMELY LONELY

Then again I hate social situations and I don't like leaving the house so it's not 100% inaccurate.

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

I agree with you, 10 questions just isn't enough. These web quizzes have always been inaccurate in some way, shape or form though.

I got 35 "Extreme Loneliness" yet I don't feel EXTREMELY LONELY

Then again I hate social situations and I don't like leaving the house so it's not 100% inaccurate.

@Lady Fitzgerald summed it up very well, I feel there are strong limitations to these tests. As the box next to the questionnaire pops up, it is not a diagnostic test. A counsellor or psychologist are far more experienced in assessing this, and definitely not a questionnaire on the internet. Everyone is unique in their own way, and its important to appreciate that when assessing any diagnosis, whether physical or psychological. The fact is that everyone has their own way of going through life that they are cool with. 

Probably the most significant thing I've come to realise is it is important to approach life in your own way, and not let anyone else tell you how to live it (Within reason of course, don't do drugs/not pay rent/dangerous activities that are harmful to others/break the law/hide away forever in a room etc - you get the idea). Probably the best metaphor for this was when I was eating in a Jamie Oliver restaurant in Bangkok. I ordered the burger and began to approach it with a knife and fork. Now I wondered out loud to my father who was sitting opposite, I wish I could just grab it and eat the burger, it was one of those stacked with a skewer, so approaching it with a knife and fork was a little cumbersome. My fathers friend who we were eating with just laughed and said, 'you paid for it, eat it how you want'. That is how I choose to approach life. You live your life, why bother cooping yourself up with things you wish you could do, when you can just do them. Never be afraid to push your luck. 

After writing this I don't know where I was going, but I feel its a good sentiment. If you hate social situations and theres no real need to go, thats fine, its your life not theirs. If you're letting a friend down or anything by not going, thats a different story, or if you are simply nervous, in my case I usually just think that life is a little short for bullshit and get on with it - you and your friend are probably going to have a great time and add fantastic memories.