GlobalFoundries Halts 7nm Development

Lurick
2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not everything needs ultra density or ultra performance either, 

Not everything can benefit from that as well.

There are things you can not shrink much further especially if we are talking about Analogue stuff and driver stuff that drives signals over the PCB.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Wow that's strange, guessing they hit a snag somewhere and unlike Intel they decided to just give up I guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

50 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ever heard about TSMC??

You know that Samsung also does Chip manufacturing?

AMD doesn't need GF, never did.

GF always needed AMD.

See the Problem?

No, there is still SAMSUNG.

samsung is too focused on low power mobile chips for it to be useful for a high performance server/consumer cpu 

43 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

There are things you can not shrink much further especially if we are talking about Analogue stuff and driver stuff that drives signals over the PCB.

Pretty much all those are on totally different fab processing type though, you won't see a MOSFET being made on a modern TSMC process or even at TSMC at all. But you could see a PCIe switching chip for Broadcom being made at TSMC.

If their 7nm was as close to being complete as it seemed like they where, I don't know why they just finished the development of 7nm and then stopped to shrink. Only thing that I can see if they litterally had no way at all to finance it.

Are they sure they litterally stopped 7nm or is it actually just spending less money and not rushing it so much, take the time it needs to save money?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Honestly, I feel like they cut their losses too early. 1st gen 7nm was so close to being ready and they basically just burned all that money spent on development. They could have at least revised the roadmap to be much slower or something, the volume AMD/IBM would have provided probably could have made it viable to run with 1st gen for awhile

Maybe if the need arises they'll just license Samsung's 7nm process or something, that might be a cheaper option if 7nm customer prospects are low.

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Now where are all those Intel haters making jokes about 10nm at? two sides of the coin eh?

Boi, did your attempt at joke not go well or what?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

35 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

samsung is too focused on low power mobile chips for it to be useful for a high performance server/consumer cpu 

TSMC is as well as those are the ones that demand the best manufacturing and highest efficiency.

And those are OK for modern high performance parts.

You "just" loose a bit of clockrate, so not that big of a deal.

Pretty much all those are on totally different fab processing type though, you won't see a MOSFET being made on a modern TSMC process or even at TSMC at all.

No, of course not.
And there is a bunch of shit where lowest cost is the most important thing. If its manufactured in 28nm, 45nm or even 90nm, doesn't matter much as the Chip itself doesn't consume much anyway.

The Cost of the silicon is the most important part for thas. There are for example Infineon LLC-Resonant Mode Converters, PWM Controllers, SUpervisiors, +5V Standby Chips with integrated MOSFETs, Diodes, Trannys and so much other shit that is in high demand but lowish cost.

33 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But you could see a PCIe switching chip for Broadcom being made at TSMC.

I don't know as most of it is PHY.

Though I haven't seen a DIE Shot from one of those Switches (yet). that might be interesting.

But tbh, I doubt that they benefit from 14nm and especially 7nm.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

But tbh, I doubt that they benefit from 14nm and especially 7nm.

They don't, TSMC uses a larger node when making those. Though with such good yields and PCIe 4 and 100/400Gb networking the GloFo 12nm/14nm might actually be decent options for those chips.

35 minutes ago, Mihle said:

If their 7nm was as close to being complete as it seemed like they where, I don't know why they just finished the development of 7nm and then stopped to shrink. Only thing that I can see if they litterally had no way at all to finance it.

Are they sure they litterally stopped 7nm or is it actually just spending less money and not rushing it so much, take the time it needs to save money?

Because the costs to continue were too high. They'd still need to develop 7nm further and work out kinks. They'd have a capacity problem so they'd need to shut down 12/14nm entirely and convert it to 7nm losing a valuable investment and high-yield profitable node. 

Too bad though. But good AMD 7nm lineup of products is not affected at least. Cause it's a really important node and in general and Zen shift to it will be exciting to see. Their new consumer GPU eventually as well. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just a reminder everyone that their 7nm process is closer to intel's 10 than to intel's 7. Turns out 7/10nm is hard.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Just a reminder everyone that their 7nm process is closer to intel's 10 than to intel's 7. Turns out 7/10nm is hard.

Hush, we don't need your logic up in here!

:P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

R&D covers a lot. You can do all of the design work for a multi-billion dollar project, but the big cost is when you go to start physically building it. The big bill comes when you have to build the fab to move to high volume. Some of the scuttlebutt is that they'd have needed to do it at Fab 8 in NY, which probably meant no more 14nm customers. Though it really just leaves us with a lot more questions than answers.

Is IBM moving somewhere else?

Are they still taking delivery on EUV machines?

Are they going to show back up with 5nm in 2022?

Will they continue the research Fab until they can license the technology to trailing Fabs?

Can their research Fab handle IBM's volume?

Are they just going to license future nodes anyway?

HVM & research was canceled, but 7nm at GloFo is probably not dead. So, we'll just have to wait and see. These things have weird ways of playing out in tech.

I highly doubt 5nm by 2022 will be possible since they would need EUV and I doubt they are going to take on any more than the 2 EUV machines they already have since they just killed the research budget. If anything I would expect them to try to sell them or something. This choice effectively kills off EUV which in my mind kills off 5nm

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Again, 7nm was not hard for TSMC or GloFo, GloFo was on track and was not suffering delays. Intel's 10nm on the other hand is 3 years late and has to be re-done

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Again, 7nm was not hard for TSMC or GloFo, GloFo was on track and was not suffering delays. Intel's 10nm on the other hand is 3 years late and has to be re-done

not to mention, redone at a lower density goal. 10nm intel is probably going to be great, but how great and not to mention how late?

2 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I highly doubt 5nm by 2022 will be possible since they would need EUV and I doubt they are going to take on any more than the 2 EUV machines they already have since they just killed the research budget. If anything I would expect them to try to sell them or something. This choice effectively kills off EUV which in my mind kills off 5nm

It seems the actual requirement to stay in Leading Edge is to get EUV working. (What a strange statement to say "get EUV working" when you have to pay 100s of millions for the machines.) That might actually be the real "nut" that GloFo didn't want to pay to crack, which would actually explain the decision making a lot better. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not to mention, redone at a lower density goal. 10nm intel is probably going to be great, but how great and not to mention how late?

Really freaking late.

I'm still not convinced we're going to see Icelake on Desktop. Icelake-SP is Q2 2020, which normally puts Desktop in Q4 2019. The Icelake team would have needed to redo chunks with a new tapeout to be ready for that. Intel will launch server products at 25% yield, but they can't do that for the volume Mainstream brings.

Also, I think Cobalt is going to end up being the cause of most of the woes at 7nm/10nm. Maybe not as stable of a metal layer as everyone thought.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel will launch server products at 25% yield, but they can't do that for the volume Mainstream brings.

25% yield

1496752479433.png

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Also, I think Cobalt is going to end up being the cause of most of the woes at 7nm/10nm. Maybe not as stable of a metal layer as everyone thought.

I've been hearing this too, but most of the people saying that are also saying major news/proof will come out tomorrow. Still waiting which makes me suspicious of they actually know anything or are just making an educated guess. 

My money is on density, I reckon they just went too high too fast.  If they can lower their density and drop GPU's from the die they could be looking at a very 7nm competitive 10nm chip.   But I don't know how easy it is to do that nor how many design stages they have to go back if that is even the answer.

EDIT: here is an interesting perspective on Cobalt from  the start of this year:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/materials/cobalt-could-untangle-chips-wiring-problems

For those not interested in the article heere are (IMO) the most intersting parts :

Cobalt has three times as much inherent resistivity as copper but is far less prone to electromigration. For that reason, manufacturers are switching to cobalt for the metal layers that make up short-range connections within and between transistors.

“The biggest issue is where to insert a new technology,” says Dan Hutcheson, CEO of semiconductor consulting company VLSIresearch. “If you insert early, you incur a lot of costs. Intel is willing to pay a premium for performance, and they have the scale to debug new materials.”

So cobalt is better chemically and from an engineering perspective,  and Intel is essentially the only company positioned to work out the kinks in actual manufacturing.

GlobalFoundries also described a switch from tungsten to cobalt in its 7-nm process at the December meeting.

It appears that last conclusion has born out to be true to some degree.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

So cobalt is better chemically and from an engineering perspective,  and Intel is essentially the only company positioned to work out the kinks in actual manufacturing.

It appears that last conclusion has born out to be true to some degree.

I've been reading that the combination of quad patterning, cobalt problems, COAG and density are what caused Intel's 10nm to shit the bed, they just pushed it too far and the cobalt was apparently developing micro-fractures along with quad patterning giving massive numbers of defects in general (possibly related to COAG) as even intel wasn't using EUV. TSMC and GloFo were both planning to use cobalt in gen 2, TSMC should still be so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Intel isn't working out any kinks in manufacturing they are just re-doing it.

Basically Intel went super hard on density, tried cobalt, tried COAG, and used quad patterning without EUV all at once for a single node.