Intel announces 10nm Cannon Lake NUC codename "Crimson Canyon" with AMD Radeon Graphics launching in September 2018

AlTech
8 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

This is very ignorant, you know clocks dont equal performance.

For a dual-core, it means a lot. Otherwise, you're going to be busy waiting for calls to queue and finish. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, GoldenLag said:

A NUC with a 2200GE anyone?

Are we talking about washing machines? 

Spoiler

I'd rather have that! Then whatever 1080@15 gaming this thing would be doing.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I love how nobody is talking about the base model's 4GB LPDDR4 soldered RAM -_-

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are we talking about washing machines? 

Hide contents

I'd rather have that! Then whatever 1080@15 gaming this thing would be doing.

2200GE is basically 2200G Ryzen APU but 35w instead.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think most stopped reading after "dual-core". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

All the potential "performance" is out the window. (Or into running windows)

Edited by GoldenLag

43 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The Steam Link, if there's another computer in the house, is a much better purchase. There's no need to purchase this at $400 (speculation) when the Link is $50 or so. 

You can often get SteamLink during a sale for 0.99$

I don't see the problem. They are just basically saying "HEY LOOK WE HAVE RELEASED A 10NM PRODUCT!!"

It doesn't mean it needs to be bleeding edge and this thing will be sipping the power instead of gulping it down. This is just a start. The 10 nm process will greatly improve and we will see more cores, higher clocks, and better efficiency. I also wouldn't be surprised in us seeing another big IPC jump moving forward.

The truth is it is just too early to tell, but you cannot base what is coming by some low end product they just released.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I don't see the problem. They are just basically saying "HEY LOOK WE HAVE RELEASED A 10NM PRODUCT!!"

It doesn't mean it needs to be bleeding edge and this thing will be sipping the power instead of gulping it down. This is just a start. The 10 nm process will greatly improve and we will see more cores, higher clocks, and better efficiency. I also wouldn't be surprised in us seeing another big IPC jump moving forward.

The truth is it is just too early to tell, but you cannot base what is coming by some low end product they just released.

No, i think people base 10nm performance of a graph intel themselves showed us. Certainly it will be better, but it doesnt paint a nice picture. You cant tell performance, but you can tell how unready 10nm is for massproduction

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

No, i think people base 10nm performance of a graph intel themselves showed us. Certainly it will be better, but it doesnt paint a nice picture. You cant tell performance, but you can tell how unready 10nm is for massproduction

I wouldn't even say you can tell how ready it is based off this. I mean yes, they are having yield issues with their new 10nm stuff. That being said a dual core will be much easier to produce for, where a quad core or higher would be costly due to yield issues.

You also have to consider this is a low power option. So not an area we would see any type of shining from what it can do. Now looking at benchmark information it is pretty much neck and neck with the 8130u and 8109u. These are 14nm at 3.4 and 3.6 ghz respectively compared to the 3.2 on the i3-8121U. So since the benchmarks numbers show it between the two with a slower clock... there is some minor gains here with the new 10nm process even if it is only on the low end atm.

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I wouldn't even say you can tell how ready it is based off this. I mean yes, they are having yield issues with their new 10nm stuff. That being said a dual core will be much easier to produce for, where a quad core or higher would be costly due to yield issues.

Well its not a new part really. We have allready seen this processor and GPU in a laptop, but the lack of iGPU is a bad sign

42 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

A NUC with a 2200GE anyone?

That would be sweet. 

I find it funny how the 2200GE is much more powerful and efficient compared to this NUC configuration. 

That chip is an embarrassment for Intel. They couldn't make a 10nm chip with a functional GPU yet they had to release a 10nm product to please investors. And now they're just trying to find a use for them since no one* wants to buy them.

If we ignore the market pressure, they should never have released this crap and just swallowed their pride instead.

*I know Lenovo put it in a laptop but I imagine that Lenovo made some deal with Intel so they got them super cheap and probably some other perks making it worth it.

I'm wondering what the IPC will be.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The Steam Link, if there's another computer in the house, is a much better purchase. There's no need to purchase this at $400 (speculation) when the Link is $50 or so. 

I bought one for my daughter on sale for 12 shipped. The steam link that is. She actually enjoys playing Lego games on it

6 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

You also have to consider this is a low power option. So not an area we would see any type of shining from what it can do. Now looking at benchmark information it is pretty much neck and neck with the 8130u and 8109u. These are 14nm at 3.4 and 3.6 ghz respectively compared to the 3.2 on the i3-8121U. So since the benchmarks numbers show it between the two with a slower clock... there is some minor gains here with the new 10nm process even if it is only on the low end atm.

at this die size not even getting good enough yields to keep the igpu enabled is horrible, this is a 2 core +igpu die, its as small as it gets and they can't get it to work

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's a ridiculously underpowered PC and is basically Intel beta testing their Cannon Lake 10nm process.

Arguably not even that. They've just got all the shit parts that are marginally functional lying around and are trying to recoup some kind of money out of them.

why pick up something over priced like a NUC when you have the likes of azulle?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

So basically, a de OSXified Mac Mini.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 hours ago, cj09beira said:

at this die size not even getting good enough yields to keep the igpu enabled is horrible, this is a 2 core +igpu die, its as small as it gets and they can't get it to work

Have you ever run a fab? This isnt like the other companys who outsource the chips to another company.

This means that they are on their own timeline to which they have already announced was pushed back due to yield issues. In the end Intel has pretty much always had a better chip. That is because they design it from the ground up based on how they want to use it. 

So yes they have yield issues, but I think you dont understand the amount of time, research and fine tuning that goes in to the process... on top of that the smaller the process the more QC issues you will have.

This thing is a beast compared to the garbage work PCS I have to deal with.

On 8/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, AngryBeaver said:

Have you ever run a fab? This isnt like the other companys who outsource the chips to another company.

This means that they are on their own timeline to which they have already announced was pushed back due to yield issues. In the end Intel has pretty much always had a better chip. That is because they design it from the ground up based on how they want to use it. 

So yes they have yield issues, but I think you dont understand the amount of time, research and fine tuning that goes in to the process... on top of that the smaller the process the more QC issues you will have.

the thing is that from what we know they are behind tsmc and maybe on par with glo fo but newer rumors points to intel scaling down 10nm as they aren't able to improve yields to acceptable levels, while in a few months tsmc will be producing 12-16 core cpus for amd. i have no doubt that they invest a lot into their products, but this time they messed up and there is no way around it. everyone is tackling the same problem, intel has been able to be ahead for a long time, but this time they wont be able too and it will hurt