Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LienusLateTips

Don't buy the G3

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

@jonnyGURU Thoughts?

Nope.  I don't have one.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just a quick thread to link to. PLEASE put in your sigs if you have the space.

The G3 has been suffering major criticism on the PSU section in our forum lately. Why?

OTP and OPP issues. These are two different protections helping to keep you and your computer safe. The first, OTP, or Over Temperature Protection, automatically shuts down your PSU before it gets too hot and melts. The other, OPP, or Over Power Protection, prevents your PSU from delivering more power than it can deliver.

These are very important protections, as you may be able to tell.

And the G3 fails these tests. The source of these quotes are from Aris, one of the leading PSU reviewers and more comprehensive than JonnyGURU.

The PSU shuts down with 77.82A on its +12V rail. We suspect that this is not because of over-current protection on this rail, but due to under-voltage protection.

In our opinion, this PSU's over-power protection is set too high; it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity to keep the +12V rail within spec.

Over-temperature protection has a pretty high triggering point, too. This is something we've encountered in plenty of semi-passive PSUs.

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it. The bulk cap's external casing nearly melted during our OTP evaluation.

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

OTP is set very high, as we also noted in our 850 G3 review. This is a 50°C-rated PSU, so it is normal to have a high OTP triggering point, but we'd be more comfortable if it was closer to 130°C.

These are three different retail units. With the competitors being so good at this price range, there isn't a excuse for this. 

Go for EVGA's own G2 or G1+ (whatever is cheaper), Corsair RMx, Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, or anything else. Just not this EVGA product.

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG -> NZXT H500 | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Pacific Spirit XT (CPU signed by Dennis!) (Planned)

Spoiler

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus MAXIMUS VI Formula | 16GB Kingston Black DDR3-1600 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws IV DDR3-1600 | ASUS DirectCU II HD 7970 3GB | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Intel Stock Cooler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Kinda sucks because I am a fan of the G3's smaller size compared to the G2 and G+. Almost bought one for my Corsair 380T but I went with a CX550M because i'm not running anything stupid powerful in it right now. 

G1+ makes me think about the NEX, that's going to be confusing to me for a while. Why cant they just call it G+ like it says on the box?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Because it seems that EVGA has no clue what they are doing or a clear lineup.

You don't know what are the good/better ones or what are the worse ones....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Kinda sucks because I am a fan of the G3's smaller size compared to the G2 and G+. Almost bought one for my Corsair 380T but I went with a CX550M because i'm not running anything stupid powerful in it right now. 

G1+ makes me think about the NEX, that's going to be confusing to me for a while. Why cant they just call it G+ like it says on the box?

Just waiting for EVGA BS series, so they can confuse us even more...

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG -> NZXT H500 | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Spoiler

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus MAXIMUS VI Formula | 16GB Kingston Black DDR3-1600 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws IV DDR3-1600 | ASUS DirectCU II HD 7970 3GB | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Intel Stock Cooler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

I shouldnt be laughing as hard as I am

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

Sadly the GS seems to be out of production

DIOCLETIAN IV : CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X || CPU COOLER : AMD Wraith Prism || MOBO : ASUS Prime X470-Pro || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x2, Crucial MX500 1TB || PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/ Cablemod Black & White Cables || CASE: NZXT H510 White || Monitor: Acer Predator X34A, HP 27yh || KEYBOARD: Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE V2 || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero || Audio: Steelseries Arctis 5, Logitech C920 || Case Fans : 2x Corsair ML140, 2x Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 ||

DIOCLETIAN III (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition || MOBO : MSi X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V (3200) || SSDs: Crucial P1 500GB, Crucial MX500 1TB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || PSU: Seasonic 650W w/ Black & Red Extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 || Monitor: Samsung Q60 65" QLED || KEYBOARD: Logitech G613 || Mouse: Logitech 305 || Audio: Samsung Q60R Soundbar || Case Fans : 2x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120, 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

JUSTINIAN - Dell XPS 15": CPU: Core i7-9750H || GPU: GTX 1650 || RAM: 2*8GB 2666MhZ DDR4 SODIMM || SSD: 1TB M.2 PCIe || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 1920 * 1080 IPS || KEYBOARD: Dell Keyboard || Mouse: Logitech G305 White || Audio: Skullcandy Earbuds

OTHER : Dell Latitude (i7-6600U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) || MacBook Pro Mid 2013 || Various half-assembled towers ||

MOBILE : Galaxy S7 (32GB + 64GB uSD, main phone) || Honor 7X (Europe) || iPad Air 2 || Rooted Kindle FIre 7" ||

SMART HOME : Google Home x2, Google Home Mini x1, RGB GE Lightbulb x1 || FORTHCOMING SMART HOME : 10x White-Only GE Smart Lightbulb, Nest E Smart Thermostat,

ONGOING : PowerMac G5 workstation || 

DESK : 2x IKEA Gerton tabletop, 7x Olav table leg, 1x Alex drawer, 4x Capita leg

9 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right? Another reason for Seasonic to get that thing out to market. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right? Another reason for Seasonic to get that thing out to market. 

Or maybe M12! More BS just for EVGA

Helios EVO (Main):

Spoiler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Or maybe M12! More BS just for EVGA

Do you know what happened to the Core series? Did it get cancelled or something? Because of the S12 II and M12 II selling too well? All I could find was from early 2017. 

@Seasonic Rep

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Do you know what happened to the Core series? Did it get cancelled or something? Because of the S12 II and M12 II selling too well? All I could find was from early 2017. 

@Seasonic Rep

SeaSonic loves pulling off the lovely bullshit and probably decided to cancel it somewhere 

Helios EVO (Main):

Spoiler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right?

Seasonic Core, isn't that Vaporware? One that should arrive in Fall or so?
For 3 Years or so?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For 3 Years or so?

That's the SeaSonic effect™

Helios EVO (Main):

Spoiler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

For the record.. I just typed up a long as reply to this thread.

I then tried to use cut and paste to rearrange word order and then lost everything because this shitty forum software apparently lets you cut, but not paste.

Who the fuck wrote this forum software and are they aware how incredibly buggy it is?  So help me, I run into stupid shit issues every fucking day here.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For 3 Years or so?

43 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Here's the cliff notes of my long ass post that disappeared:

Seasonic is a publicly traded company.

Seasonic has a small factory.

Seasonic has orders from companies like Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Asus, Cooler Master, etc. and those companies provide orders, forecasts, pay tooling costs, certification costs, shipping, warehousing, service and warranty.  These are expenses Seasonic doesn't have to factor into their bottom line.

Seasonic is still building and selling S12 and M12; and while they're far from modern designs, the people in this forum and others like it only make up 1% of the customer base looking to buy this level product.  Never mind ask someone in a forum "is this a good product?"

If the Core ever sees the light of day, I would be very surprised.  Maybe in another two years?  Minimum?  If ever?

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Who the fuck wrote this forum software and are they aware how incredibly buggy it is?  So help me, I run into stupid shit issues every fucking day here.

In terms of who the devs are, I dont recall exactly.

@colonel_mortis is the administrator, and if you find any bugs it's recommended to post them in the Bugs and Issues Sub Forum

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I then tried to use cut and paste to rearrange word order and then lost everything because this shitty forum software apparently lets you cut, but not paste.

The editor definitely supports paste (Ctrl+V), and it also supports undo (Ctrl+Z) if it has become messed up for any reason. If it's not working for you, or if you run into other bugs, please report them in Bugs and Issues so that they can be fixed - while the software is certainly not perfect, if you're running into issues every day then you're running into a lot more issues than I am, and I would like to fix that by fixing the issues that I can, and passing the rest onto the forum software devs (IPS).

HTTP/2 203

4 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

S12: they see me burnin' they hatin'

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The editor definitely supports paste (Ctrl+V), and it also supports undo (Ctrl+Z) if it has become messed up for any reason. If it's not working for you, or if you run into other bugs, please report them in Bugs and Issues so that they can be fixed - while the software is certainly not perfect, if you're running into issues every day then you're running into a lot more issues than I am, and I would like to fix that by fixing the issues that I can, and passing the rest onto the forum software devs (IPS).

Chrome?

Seriously.  This always happens.  I forget to quote someone.  I go up and I quote them.  It then plops the quote in the middle of what I've typed.  I cut the part above the quote so I can paste it below with the rest of the post using "ctrl-x".  I press "ctrl-v" and nothing shows up.  It's gone.  "Ctrl-z" does nothing either.  The text is gone.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Chrome?

Seriously.  This always happens.  I forget to quote someone.  I go up and I quote them.  It then plops the quote in the middle of what I've typed.  I cut the part above the quote so I can paste it below with the rest of the post using "ctrl-x".  I press "ctrl-v" and nothing shows up.  It's gone.  "Ctrl-z" does nothing either.  The text is gone.

Can you post it in bugs and issues please, so I can track it, see if anyone else is having similar issues, and ask for more info if needed without further derailing the topic. 

HTTP/2 203

On 7/5/2018 at 10:31 PM, LienusLateTips said:

The other, OPP, or Over Power Protection, prevents your PSU from delivering more power than it can deliver.

I think you might want to reword that. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

17 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think you might want to reword that. xD

It is correct.

It's like a bus. Technically, it can only carry this many people... but wait, if we make them stand on each other we might be able to fit more people onto this completely packed bus that runs once every two hours.

Helios EVO (Main):

Spoiler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

It's like a bus. Technically, it can only carry this many people... but wait, if we make them stand on each other we might be able to fit more people onto this completely packed bus that runs once every two hours.

That doesn't make sense either. What it is capable of delivering and what it's rated to safely deliver are two different things.

I was just trying to help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

By the way, just wondering, as long as you don't load the G3 (i.e I'm running just a 8400 + 570 on a 750W (yeah ik I use like 200W, G2 was out of stock, 550 G3 was 100$, and 650G3 was same price), is the g3 fine, since I am 500W+ away from the OCP, and if you have good airflow for OTP, is it fine?

Even if I had like a vega64 + i7-9700k, and was drawing something like 600W. should I be worried?

Hello! Feel free to PM me anything. Here's my stuff below!

PC (Main)

Spoiler

CPU: i5-8400 CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus   Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M DS3H | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8 DDR4-2400 SSD: Inland 480GB SSD | Video Card: RX 570 4GB Strix OC | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White TGPSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Monitor: Sceptre 24" 1080p 75hz Webcam: Logitech C920 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

NAS:

Spoiler

Synology DS418J w/ 4x WD Red Pro 6TB RAID 10

Seagate 5TB external SMR 2.5" HDD

MS Office 365 - 1TB Onedrive

Phone/Tablet:

Spoiler

iPhone XR 64GB iPad Mini 4 128GB

Laptops:

Spoiler

Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H + 1050 Ti MacBook Air 13" mid-2012

Audio:

Spoiler

Schiit Fulla 2 & Sennheiser HD 598 Cs | Corsair HS70 KZ ZS10 Pro | Audio-Technica LP120USB Audioengine A2+

Stationary (new hobby!)

Spoiler

Pencils: Staedtler 925-05 (.5mm), Pentel Smash Q1005 (.5mm), Uni Kuru Toga Roulette (.5mm), Uni Nano Dia .5mm 2B, Mitsubishi 9850 HB

Pens: Several Uni Signo UM-151s, Several Pilot G2s, Kaweco AL Sport Touch ballpoint

Fountain Pens: Pilot Metropolitan F, Lamy Al-Star M, Lamy CP1 F

Ink: Diamine Jet Black, Diamine Oxford Blue

Wishlist (feel free to PM me recommendations): Pentel Orenz .2/.3mm, Pentel Graph for Pro 1000 (.5mm), Rotring 600 (.5mm), Pilot Vanishing Point/Lamy 2000, Pilot Iroshizuki Kon-peki, Noodler's Tiananmen.