Don't buy the G3

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

@jonnyGURU Thoughts?

Nope.  I don't have one.

Just a quick thread to link to. PLEASE put in your sigs if you have the space.

The G3 has been suffering major criticism on the PSU section in our forum lately. Why?

OTP and OPP issues. These are two different protections helping to keep you and your computer safe. The first, OTP, or Over Temperature Protection, automatically shuts down your PSU before it gets too hot and melts. The other, OPP, or Over Power Protection, prevents your PSU from delivering more power than it can deliver.

These are very important protections, as you may be able to tell.

And the G3 fails these tests. The source of these quotes are from Aris, one of the leading PSU reviewers and more comprehensive than JonnyGURU.

The PSU shuts down with 77.82A on its +12V rail. We suspect that this is not because of over-current protection on this rail, but due to under-voltage protection.

In our opinion, this PSU's over-power protection is set too high; it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity to keep the +12V rail within spec.

Over-temperature protection has a pretty high triggering point, too. This is something we've encountered in plenty of semi-passive PSUs.

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it. The bulk cap's external casing nearly melted during our OTP evaluation.

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

OTP is set very high, as we also noted in our 850 G3 review. This is a 50°C-rated PSU, so it is normal to have a high OTP triggering point, but we'd be more comfortable if it was closer to 130°C.

These are three different retail units. With the competitors being so good at this price range, there isn't a excuse for this. 

Go for EVGA's own G2 or G1+ (whatever is cheaper), Corsair RMx, Be Quiet! Straight Power 11, or anything else. Just not this EVGA product.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

@jonnyGURU Thoughts?

Nope.  I don't have one.

Kinda sucks because I am a fan of the G3's smaller size compared to the G2 and G+. Almost bought one for my Corsair 380T but I went with a CX550M because i'm not running anything stupid powerful in it right now. 

G1+ makes me think about the NEX, that's going to be confusing to me for a while. Why cant they just call it G+ like it says on the box?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Because it seems that EVGA has no clue what they are doing or a clear lineup.

You don't know what are the good/better ones or what are the worse ones....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Kinda sucks because I am a fan of the G3's smaller size compared to the G2 and G+. Almost bought one for my Corsair 380T but I went with a CX550M because i'm not running anything stupid powerful in it right now. 

G1+ makes me think about the NEX, that's going to be confusing to me for a while. Why cant they just call it G+ like it says on the box?

Just waiting for EVGA BS series, so they can confuse us even more...

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

I shouldnt be laughing as hard as I am

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

Sadly the GS seems to be out of production

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right? Another reason for Seasonic to get that thing out to market. 

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right? Another reason for Seasonic to get that thing out to market. 

Or maybe M12! More BS just for EVGA

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

7 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Or maybe M12! More BS just for EVGA

Do you know what happened to the Core series? Did it get cancelled or something? Because of the S12 II and M12 II selling too well? All I could find was from early 2017. 

@Seasonic Rep

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Do you know what happened to the Core series? Did it get cancelled or something? Because of the S12 II and M12 II selling too well? All I could find was from early 2017. 

@Seasonic Rep

SeaSonic loves pulling off the lovely bullshit and probably decided to cancel it somewhere 

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

It would be based on the Seasonic Core, right?

Seasonic Core, isn't that Vaporware? One that should arrive in Fall or so?
For 3 Years or so?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For 3 Years or so?

That's the SeaSonic effect™

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

For the record.. I just typed up a long as reply to this thread.

I then tried to use cut and paste to rearrange word order and then lost everything because this shitty forum software apparently lets you cut, but not paste.

Who the fuck wrote this forum software and are they aware how incredibly buggy it is?  So help me, I run into stupid shit issues every fucking day here.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

For 3 Years or so?

43 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Here's the cliff notes of my long ass post that disappeared:

Seasonic is a publicly traded company.

Seasonic has a small factory.

Seasonic has orders from companies like Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Asus, Cooler Master, etc. and those companies provide orders, forecasts, pay tooling costs, certification costs, shipping, warehousing, service and warranty.  These are expenses Seasonic doesn't have to factor into their bottom line.

Seasonic is still building and selling S12 and M12; and while they're far from modern designs, the people in this forum and others like it only make up 1% of the customer base looking to buy this level product.  Never mind ask someone in a forum "is this a good product?"

If the Core ever sees the light of day, I would be very surprised.  Maybe in another two years?  Minimum?  If ever?

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Who the fuck wrote this forum software and are they aware how incredibly buggy it is?  So help me, I run into stupid shit issues every fucking day here.

In terms of who the devs are, I dont recall exactly.

@colonel_mortis is the administrator, and if you find any bugs it's recommended to post them in the Bugs and Issues Sub Forum

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I then tried to use cut and paste to rearrange word order and then lost everything because this shitty forum software apparently lets you cut, but not paste.

The editor definitely supports paste (Ctrl+V), and it also supports undo (Ctrl+Z) if it has become messed up for any reason. If it's not working for you, or if you run into other bugs, please report them in Bugs and Issues so that they can be fixed - while the software is certainly not perfect, if you're running into issues every day then you're running into a lot more issues than I am, and I would like to fix that by fixing the issues that I can, and passing the rest onto the forum software devs (IPS).

HTTP/2 203

4 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

S12: they see me burnin' they hatin'

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The editor definitely supports paste (Ctrl+V), and it also supports undo (Ctrl+Z) if it has become messed up for any reason. If it's not working for you, or if you run into other bugs, please report them in Bugs and Issues so that they can be fixed - while the software is certainly not perfect, if you're running into issues every day then you're running into a lot more issues than I am, and I would like to fix that by fixing the issues that I can, and passing the rest onto the forum software devs (IPS).

Chrome?

Seriously.  This always happens.  I forget to quote someone.  I go up and I quote them.  It then plops the quote in the middle of what I've typed.  I cut the part above the quote so I can paste it below with the rest of the post using "ctrl-x".  I press "ctrl-v" and nothing shows up.  It's gone.  "Ctrl-z" does nothing either.  The text is gone.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Chrome?

Seriously.  This always happens.  I forget to quote someone.  I go up and I quote them.  It then plops the quote in the middle of what I've typed.  I cut the part above the quote so I can paste it below with the rest of the post using "ctrl-x".  I press "ctrl-v" and nothing shows up.  It's gone.  "Ctrl-z" does nothing either.  The text is gone.

Can you post it in bugs and issues please, so I can track it, see if anyone else is having similar issues, and ask for more info if needed without further derailing the topic. 

HTTP/2 203

On 7/5/2018 at 10:31 PM, LienusLateTips said:

The other, OPP, or Over Power Protection, prevents your PSU from delivering more power than it can deliver.

I think you might want to reword that. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

17 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I think you might want to reword that. xD

It is correct.

It's like a bus. Technically, it can only carry this many people... but wait, if we make them stand on each other we might be able to fit more people onto this completely packed bus that runs once every two hours.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

10 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

It's like a bus. Technically, it can only carry this many people... but wait, if we make them stand on each other we might be able to fit more people onto this completely packed bus that runs once every two hours.

That doesn't make sense either. What it is capable of delivering and what it's rated to safely deliver are two different things.

I was just trying to help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

• 8 months later...

By the way, just wondering, as long as you don't load the G3 (i.e I'm running just a 8400 + 570 on a 750W (yeah ik I use like 200W, G2 was out of stock, 550 G3 was 100$, and 650G3 was same price), is the g3 fine, since I am 500W+ away from the OCP, and if you have good airflow for OTP, is it fine?

Even if I had like a vega64 + i7-9700k, and was drawing something like 600W. should I be worried?