Rare element to provide better material for high-speed electronics

speedbeastxx

Purdue researchers have discovered a new two-dimensional material, derived from the rare element tellurium, to make transistors that carry a current better throughout a computer chip.

The discovery adds to a list of extremely thin, two-dimensional materials that engineers have tried to use for improving the operation speed of a chip's transistors, which then allows information to be processed faster in electronic devices, such as phones and computers, and defense technologies like infrared sensors.

Other two-dimensional materials, such as graphene, black phosphorus and silicene, have lacked either stability at room temperature or the feasible production approaches required to nanomanufacture effective transistors for higher speed devices.

"All transistors need to send a large current, which translates to high-speed electronics," said Peide Ye, Purdue's Richard J. and Mary Jo Schwartz Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering. "One-dimensional wires that currently make up transistors have very small cross sections. But a two-dimensional material, acting like a sheet, can send a current over a wider surface area."

Tellurene, a two-dimensional film researchers found in the element tellurium, achieves a stable, sheet-like transistor structure with faster-moving "carriers" -- meaning electrons and the holes they leave in their place. 

6.PNG.28bbeb4121ee006d2feae53bacff31e3.PNG

This is great news as chips get smaller an smaller on the current format of One-dimensional wires. It is very hard to shrink silicon, so this material might make it easier to do so and increase performance substantially at the same time. 

Despite tellurium's rarity, the pros of tellurene would make transistors made from two-dimensional materials easier to produce on a larger scale. The researchers detail their findings in Nature Electronics.

"Even though tellurium is not abundant on the Earth's crust, we only need a little bit to be synthesized through a solution method. And within the same batch, we have a very high production yield of two-dimensional tellurene materials," said Wenzhuo Wu, assistant professor in Purdue's School of Industrial Engineering. "You simply scale up the container that holds the solution, so productivity is high."

This could possibly mean it will be cheaper to make chips.

Since electronics are typically in use at room temperature, naturally stable tellurene transistors at this temperature are more practical and cost-effective than other two-dimensional materials that have required a vacuum chamber or low operation temperature to achieve similar stability and performance.

The larger crystal flakes of tellurene also mean less barriers between flakes to electron movement -- an issue with the more numerous, smaller flakes of other two-dimensional materials.

"High carrier mobility at room temperature means more practical applications," Ye said. Faster-moving electrons and holes then lead to higher currents across a chip.

The researchers anticipate that because tellurene can grow on its own without the help of any other substance, the material could possibly find use in other applications beyond computer chip transistors, such as flexible printed devices that convert mechanical vibrations or heat to electricity.

This is good as it will make compatibility with current computer hardware, which is good compared to other two-dimensional materials. 

I like how this is going to be the future of the computer chip. This is very interesting in my opinion. What do you think?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180524141529.htm

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41928-018-0058-4

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Cole5 said:

Im dead beat tired...But what is a 2 dimensional  material?

looking it over i am still not 100% sure, so I dont want to tell you the wrong answer.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Sounds as if we may be on the cusp of a  technological revolution here ;) 

most definitely.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Lets just hope something actually eventuates from this, unlike the mentioned next big things that were never.

Well ether these folks will turn up dead in a few months and this stuff becomes mainstream in 20 years, Or they become dead and it goes the way of that Starlite

Or they become the richest folks on earth

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

Im dead beat tired...But what is a 2 dimensional  material?

I'm gonna guess it's like graphene, where it's only 1 atom thick. So like a 1 atom thick sheet of some material.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I'm gonna guess it's like graphene, where it's only 1 atom thick. So like a 1 atom thick sheet of some material.

That's my understanding too.  Because the sheet is only one atom thick it's depth cannot be used for anything. leaving only it's width and length usable.

happy to be corrected if their is a quantum nut on the forum.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Rare element

=virtually useless for consumer products. One of the benefits of using silicon is that it is (or was) extremely common. This won't cut it for mass production.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

31 minutes ago, Sauron said:

=virtually useless for consumer products. One of the benefits of using silicon is that it is (or was) extremely common. This won't cut it for mass production.

Graphene looked promising on that front to be honest. Since... Well.. it's quite abundant

Just now, laminutederire said:

Graphene looked promising on that front to be honest. Since... Well.. it's quite abundant

Sure, as soon as they figure out how to make manufacturing of it efficient...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Lets just hope something actually eventuates from this, unlike the mentioned next big things that were never.

Batteries! 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sure, as soon as they figure out how to make manufacturing of it efficient...

They will in 20 years... when could have figured it out for 2020. No one works on it from the Fab side so it won't improve as fast as a result. Which is a shame.

Nice to see new elements experimentations. I do wonder how long silicon will last and what will be it's final stage. Like how much will they be able to shrink it down, picometers maybe? Build processors differently? 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nice to see new elements experimentations. I do wonder how long silicon will last and what will be it's final stage. Like how much will they be able to shrink it down, picometers maybe? Build processors differently? 

From memory, 3nm should be the last possible node.

9 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah I saw that that may be. Still farfrom it, it may change. But as we see it is getting much harded to shrink it for a while now. 

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I saw that that may be. Still farfrom it, it may change. But as we see it is getting much harded to shrink it for a while now. 

Does not change the fact that graphed or other materials would allow much higher clocks and so on. So shrinking is one thing but material is another

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Its a rare element. So we may have a 0.1% chance of getting a consumer product with this technology in 2035

59 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Uh... tellurium is used in DVDs and Blu-rays.

22 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Does not change the fact that graphed or other materials would allow much higher clocks and so on. So shrinking is one thing but material is another

Well, silicon is at limits as far as clocks, there were articles about potentials for graphene lower temps and higher clocks. Shrinking who knows what next gen tech will be and offer. 

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

Didn't some scientists or a certain group of people have increased and improved the rechargeable batteries for eg smartphones?

So you no longer need to recharge the smartphone every day? It's been a long time ago since I read about that somewhere but the smartphone manufacturers doesn't like that so they have prevented it?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Tha article states it does not need much for the solution to make the material.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, laminutederire said:

It was only a few years ago 5nm was considered the smallest we could go, then IBM made a 5nm chip. So I think this is a we will see.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

It was only a few years ago 5nm was considered the smallest we could go, then IBM made a 5nm chip. So I think this is a we will see.

At some point you hit physical limits. Like it's not like you can always make it smaller all the time.