Largo Detectives use Dead Man's Finger to Unlock his Phone

Atra1n2

This just disgusted me when I came across it, but apparently detectives tried to use the fingerprints from the corpse of Linus Phillip, 30,  to unlock his phone and use the information from it to aid in an investigation into a seperate inquiry into drugs involving Phillip. Phillip was shot by a police officer a month prior when he tried to escape police, shortly before they were going to attempt to search him. When the detectives came to the funeral home, the fiance of the deceased suspect also happened to be there. There was no search warrant for the detective(s) to attempt to gather the data from the phone. Personally, the bigger problem here seems to be that law enforcement were willing to use a corpse fingerprint to try to gain access to the phone, however warrantless searching, and the disregard for the rights of the deceased are also disturbing. The article does cite a 2014 Supreme Court ruling:

A 2014 Supreme Court ruling established that warrantless search of a cellphone during an arrest is unconstitutional.

However, with the suspect deceased, this becomes a possible legal gray-area. 

The article goes on with input from a Stetson law professor: 

A deceased person can’t assert their Fourth Amendment protections because, well, you can’t own property when you’re dead, said Rose, the Stetson Law professor. If those rights do continue, they would apply to whoever inherits it.

In spite of this, we haven't encountered a case like this before. What privacy rights, if any, do the deceased have? Are these rights passed down to next-in-kin with their property? Aside from that, how disturbing is it that police actually went to the funeral home after the body was released by the state and attempted to use the dead person's finger to unlock the device, with or without warrant or right to do so?

http://www.tampabay.com/cops-used-dead-man-s-finger-unlock-phone-legal-but-ghoulish-florida

if anyone gave a shit about warrantless searching of cell phones in this country, stingrays would be illegal for LEOs to use.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I mean, they would probably conduct an autopsy which might be considered a little more invaisive. 

If I remember correctly, the moment you die, laws stop protecting you against unreasonable search, hence why they could do this without a warrant.

But yeah, this is probably more of a grey area and they should've done this before giving the body back to the family, as if most likely the case most of the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This is disgusting and terrifying on many levels. The phone becomes the property of next-of-kin, and a warrant is required to search it. Unless she gave consent for some idiotic reason. Even if we put the legal ramifications of this aside, it's still, imo, desecrating a corpse to abuse it in such a way.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

He's dead. I see no problem with this.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Shouldn't this require a warrant? Next thing we know the cops will shoot anyone and immediately unlock phones for more information. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Shouldn't this require a warrant? Next thing we know the cops will shoot anyone and immediately unlock phones for more information. 

im pretty sure using murder to get away with warrentless search is not....uh...lesser? 

Anyway not that they don't get away with both 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I am less concerned with the use of a corpse’s fingerprints to access the phone then that it was attempted where it leads to disrespecting the family.

Don’t see any ethic and morale issues in this.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Atra1n2 said:

When the detectives came to the funeral home,

wait, they did it at the funeral home? that's in bad taste. I dont care that they tried to do it, but where and when they did it is fucked up

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Here are my thoughts:

The authorities using a dead persons finger to unlock a device does not bother me. Doing so without a warrant does.

As long as the authorities go through the proper motions to protect civil rights, by convincing a judge of the necessity, and protecting the privacy of a person, then there is no problem.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

im pretty sure using murder to get away with warrentless search is not....uh...lesser? 

Anyway not that they don't get away with both 

All the cop needs to do is say they claimed they had a gun and went reaching in their pocket. It happens here and in the USA, they don't even need to state they claimed, all they have to do is "suspect" they have a gun or another form of lethal weapon...

23 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

where are the lines in this? (e.g. if suspect dies after act of crime does that count as "his" or not) o_o

That would require a search and seizure order if not on his/her body at the time of death. Plus if they are a suspect the police/courts can withhold any ownership title change till a investigation is concluded, tho this could be challenged in court afaik, esp large value items as homes.

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

All the cop needs to do is say they claimed they had a gun and went reaching in their pocket. It happens here and in the USA, they don't even need to state they claimed, all they have to do is "suspect" they have a gun or another form of lethal weapon...

That would require a search and seizure order if not on his/her body at the time of death. Plus if they are a suspect the police/courts can withhold any ownership title change till a investigation is concluded, tho this could be challenged in court afaik, esp large value items as homes.

but they get away with warrantless search anyway, murder is a bit more risky for no reason 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

but they get away with warrantless search anyway, murder is a bit more risky for no reason 

But those usually can be/get thrown out, by killing them first however and the reason given gets accepted... Recall the poor person who got killed from the CoD Swatting a few months ago. 100% innocent but got killed just because the cops had a reason.

uhhh, i don't know how the hell they even came up with this idea. Normal logic would tell people this is going to go down really bad.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

But those usually can be/get thrown out, by killing them first however and the reason given gets accepted... Recall the poor person who got killed from the CoD Swatting a few months ago. 100% innocent but got killed just because the cops had a reason.

fuck that made me so mad. Shine a light in his eyes, too far away for him to hear, shoot him dead as soon as his hands moved 

muh specs 

All parts black

If I read that article right, the law does not protect a dead man, the phone was taken as evidence so is not the property of the family and the only grey area was that they did it after the body was turned over to the funeral parlor from state custody.    Which means normally they would have attempted to unlock the phone earlier had they had the chance and this would have been standard procedure and not even reported. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i have no problem with this, they were investigating the mans death and i can't see how his privacy was in any way on the table, he was of course dead. If someone was investigating my death for sure i would be happy they did it. As long as they stick to police business and don't use the the phone for anything else.

A bit tasteless to do it like they did, but otherwise I don't really care much. Seems like something that would require a warrant but idk how stuff is passed down enough to really know

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Here are my thoughts:

The authorities using a dead persons finger to unlock a device does not bother me. Doing so without a warrant does.

As long as the authorities go through the proper motions to protect civil rights, by convincing a judge of the necessity, and protecting the privacy of a person, then there is no problem.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that the warrant system is completely broken.

The judges handing out warrants generally don't give two shits about protecting civil rights. Just look at the FICO court warrants.

3 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

uhhh, i don't know how the hell they even came up with this idea. Normal logic would tell people this is going to go down really bad.

Just look at this thread and the people saying it is totally fine. "Normal logic" is not to so common anymore.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:09 PM, ARikozuM said:

Then claim they thought they saw a gun, and there is no body cameras