LTT in the news! IMac pro video featured in multiple articles from 'news websites'

ZXR
28 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Yeah, people are saying that LTT broke it why should they expect apple to fix it, but, to me, LTT knew it wasn't going to be covered and were willing to pay. Since that is the case, I don't see why they should've been refused

They're saying that because they didn't watch the video, and it gives them a chance to take shots at LTT. 

The actual issue appears to be Apple Canada doesn't have either parts or certifications for dealing with the iMac Pro, as it appears fully repairable within the USA. That's what came up from all of the AASPs in the video thread. So this entire topic is actually that LMG broke a part that no one in Canada can repair at current. If they shipped it to some folks Stateside, they could get it handled, it seems.

11 minutes ago, Notional said:

Eh, the entire Imac Pro will probably be bricked on the next OSX update, if they replace the screen panel.

We laugh, but that's actually possible, haha.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We laugh, but that's actually possible, haha.

tenor.gif?itemid=4552547

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So I get treating consumers like shit but may I ask: What kind of serious business would have an IT department that would OK these pros for workstation use?

-IT Bob: "Bill we're going to imac pros for the workstation users. They're like 10k a piece"

-Bill: "Ok Bob and what about service plans for them"

-IT Bob: "Oh you can't actually service these, not even Apple will repair them"

-Bill: "....So 10k for Workstations that are basically disposable....yeah tell the workstation users we'll be getting PCs for them I don't care how hip the imacs are"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know I should have expected it considering the article and that it's a comments section on a site, but the comments section on there is extra cringe-y. Writers of the article defending themselves by responding to some criticisms and ignoring others that they have no defense for. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

This whole shitshow seems to be stemming from Linus talking to the wrong / undertrained people and not bothering to take any initiative to get the story straight before making a drama out of it.

Ironically Apple still probably has the best parts-availability of any PC mfg.  Break a Razer or HP or any other brand and let me know how much it costs to ship back to China to be repaired, if they can even offer you that at all.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

26 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Snip

They are repairable in the US. For whatever reason Apple Canada currently has no way to repair them it seems. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This whole shitshow seems to be stemming from Linus talking to the wrong / undertrained people and not bothering to take any initiative to get the story straight before making a drama out of it.

Ironically Apple still probably has the best parts-availability of any PC mfg.  Break a Razer or HP or any other brand and let me know how much it costs to ship back to China to be repaired, if they can even offer you that at all.

If something broke on a Razer or HP laptop within the warranty all you'd have to do is go to the store you bought it from and exchange it. The level of support is unacceptable for a workstation grade computer though, Apple being unwilling to have it sent to the US for repair and basically saying screw you go buy another one because a 6k CAD computer is disposable to Apple when you can't even open it for service.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If something broke on a Razer or HP laptop within the warranty

Thing is, this wasn't a warranty issue.  Show up with a Razer or HP with a smashed screen and they're going to laugh and say it's not their problem and there's nothing you can do to repair it (at best "here's a 5% off coupon to buy a new one").   Apple products have a whole economy around offering OEM parts and repair service that other OEM's don't  come close to matching.  Linus just happened to fall into a corner case of talking to the wrong people in the wrong place, and his busted imac is in fact repairable.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Thing is, this wasn't a warranty issue.  Show up with a Razer or HP with a smashed screen and they're going to laugh and say it's not their problem and there's nothing you can do to repair it (at best "here's a 5% off coupon to buy a new one").   Apple products have a whole economy around offering OEM parts and repair service that other OEM's don't  come close to matching.  Linus just happened to fall into a corner case of talking to the wrong people in the wrong place, and his busted imac is in fact repairable.  

From the discussion thread on the Video, it appears Apple Canada has borked up something with their ability to get certified to repair the product. This is really an "Apple Canada" problem, which there's no way to deal with, currently, without shipping it to the USA.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

From the discussion thread on the Video, it appears Apple Canada has borked up something with their ability to get certified to repair the product. This is really an "Apple Canada" problem, which there's no way to deal with, currently, without shipping it to the USA.

I can't go through all 20 pages, but is shipping to the US for repair an option for a product purchased outside the US?  I know from experience that it does create a nightmare for import duties because you're importing something that is now more valuable than what you sent out, but there's exceptions for warranty repair, etc *head explodes*.

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

I can't go through all 20 pages, but is shipping to the US for repair an option for a product purchased outside the US?  I know from experience that it does create a nightmare for import duties.

For "official" use, it's probably an issue. For other things, less of an issue. If they sent it to one of the AASPs as a normal shipment, it'd still have issues with customs because of the price, I imagine.

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

The CPU, RAM and GPU are soldered to the board, so that's one hell of an expensive Mobo.

Only the GPU is soldered. RAM is just normal DDR4 sticks (not even SODIMMs anymore) and CPU is socketed and SSDs are just normal M.2 SSDs. This is probably made because of expected low sales and to ease the customization of the setup, because there's no way to upgrade the iMac Pro without taking it fully appart. Either way that's still quite pricy mobo.

Spoiler

Quite funny stuff going in the comments:

" No link to the video in question? "

From JSnively (Admin):

" We needed to acknowledge due to how popular the video has become, we do not, however, need to drive traffic. "

Oh god. Clickbait title, no link to the source, "we didn't get response from Apple, but trust us, we will make new article once we get"... Is this The Sun or some other clickbait c**p news site I am reading? Also that's some real fat talk from admin, who I believe should have some knowledge about ethicality in news reporting, which are mostly thrown to the trash bin only by sh*t news like The Sun just because they don't care about anything else than that they get readers.

Spoiler

Truthful reporting, no way, that might not generate mass of readers; stating the source correctly, no way, the readers might find out that we are intentionaly misquoting the source to generate better clickbait; bad mouthing, of course, the more salt the more readers; giving the subject chance to reply, no way, even if we could have more material to misquote the subject could make a sense and destroy our clickbait that we created with so hard work; and so on, just normal sh*t tier reporting that probably everyone knows and the reason why LTT is one of my only tech news sources just because here's at least enforced guideline to state the source.

Stating the source correctly isn't about you generate traffic to the source, but to give your audience chance to confirm your story and form their opinion based on the source material and your input to the matter.

Admin walking in and saying that kind of thing just gives me a vision of a actor falling to the stage as a martyr like it was some Shakespear act going on and talking how he needed to make the article just because people in the internet are talking about this case and only he can bring some true insight to this minimalistic matter that clearly shows how wrong that guy, who started this whole mess where he must now sink his clean and shiny boot in, is. He even needed to acknowledge something this small and puny while he could have been writing some glorious and huge article about something far more important and he even needed to sink down so low as to mention the name of the channel which started all of this. (You are far more than encouraged to read this part in the voice of Jim Sterlings Duke Amiel du H'ardcore -character or in your best imitation of 18th century aristocrat)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Why should he? Why should the experience as a reviewer be any different than the one from an average consumer?

Remember these morons are the ones that would actually service you or me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Bensemus said:

They are repairable in the US. For whatever reason Apple Canada currently has no way to repair them it seems. 

Ok imagine I said "IT Bob - The Canuck"  instead: it's not like designers in Canada wouldn't ask for them, if anything from what I've seen of Canada they're even more hipsters over there in Vancouver or at least on par with the US.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So I get treating consumers like shit but may I ask: What kind of serious business would have an IT department that would OK these pros for workstation use?

-IT Bob: "Bill we're going to imac pros for the workstation users. They're like 10k a piece"

-Bill: "Ok Bob and what about service plans for them"

-IT Bob: "Oh you can't actually service these, not even Apple will repair them"

-Bill: "....So 10k for Workstations that are basically disposable....yeah tell the workstation users we'll be getting PCs for them I don't care how hip the imacs are"

IT probably doesn't make the decisions.   We have one client that's what the owner wants they/we have only managed to get in about 20% pcs.  It's caused so many unnecessary headaches over the years it's not even funny.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

10 minutes ago, ewitte said:

IT probably doesn't make the decisions.   We have one client that's what the owner wants they/we have only managed to get in about 20% pcs.  It's caused so many unnecessary headaches over the years it's not even funny.

Well no offense to that client but I did say serious business.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, ewitte said:

If I have my way I will 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'd rather see this debacle of Apple refusing to repair a broken iMac Pro be featured in actual news publications and outlets like NYT, CNET, The Verge and even Fox News of all things just to raise awareness that Apple's support is getting shoddy.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just reading the comments on the sites and people are actually defending Apple for something that shouldn't even be happening, Linus is willing to even pay for repairs

I personally don't understand the all hate with the removal headphone jack, touchID, notched iPhones and Type C Macbook/Pros but this situation doesn't warrant any defence at all.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

People arguing that he should just buy a new one are dumb. It's not about money. LTT is based in Canada and as such that Imac Pro falls under canadian laws. He could take a day off in court and he'd get a slam dunk victory. There's precedents with Samsung among other things in Canada being sentenced in small claims court to pay the value of the repair for a TV and some trouble money for refusing to repair it in the first place and being dick bags about it which is exactly what Apple is doing right now.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Since it's a relatively new (and very niche) device, Apple might not have the spare part allocation to fix/replace it.

Not the consumers fault. What if it was a warranty part? Not something they could use as an excuse at that point.

And Apple arguing that any aftermarket parts not made by then it's counterfeit is garbage. Counterfeit would be marketed as Apple legitimate when it's not. Apple doesn't like and of that.

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Having worked at an apple Certified repair shop... If Apple knew what we did to keep customers happy, we'd lose our franchise's certification. All sorts of Apple consumers would come to us because Apple Geniuses would refuse to repair devices. Especially HDDs..  and even part of the Apple Certified thing is not touching that either.... So stupid. We had to literally hide or Mac SSD proprietary adapter so we wouldn't get in trouble.

If we didn't have the part or weren't Apple to source it, we'd still install it if the customer purchased it on their own and brought it to us.

Oh, your MacBook stopped working and it's just outside warranty? The heatsink fan stopped working, their resolution was to purchase a new device....

15 dollars hardware install fee after they got the fan themselves..

Cannot tell me Apple cares. They or most of their effort into their phones, and really don't care about their computer lines. Their tech service is a joke.  And even with the FTC role, Apple will still refuse to do any work on a tampered device. If it doesn't work, it's because you touched it, not their superior hardware.

Broken HP or Lenovo? Don't send it to China. I can get a all the parts to rebuild an HP laptop faster than Apple will send me a replacement battery for MacBook...

There are contacted repartee facilities for HP, Dell, etc... As long as you can provide proof of purchase, they will honor the warranty.

22 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

*looks at thread over at LTT Official*

RIP a lot of AASPs ._.

Discussing this issue over in the general discussion area, and I looked up a couple other related articles, and found one that was pretty cool. Apparently Canadian leadership believe they don't get treated as fairly as their American neighbors, which I would definitely see as being a HUGE issue. Maybe there can be hope for Canada? Their quote:

Since our report VentureBeat covered the video and noted that Linus may be in luck, politically speaking. The report noted that "Canadian MP Brian Masse and a group of concerned legislators forced Apple to testify last month on device repair issues, following the international iPhone battery/performance debacle. Masse and his fellow MPs expressed strong concerns that Canadian customers might be treated less reasonably than Americans when seeking remedies for their failing Apple products. If anything, this situation has the potential to further upset the Canadian legislators, though it’s worth noting that Apple has sometimes fanned the flames with international customers rather than trying to extinguish them, explicitly daring them to sue the company. Hopefully that won’t be necessary in this case."

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2018/04/black-eye-for-apple-canadas-popular-host-of-linus-tech-tips-posts-his-latest-video-titled-apple-refused-to-fix-our-imac-pr.html