Google discontinues 1st Generation Pixel and Pixel XL as the End of its Android OS Updates approaches

AlTech

It seems like to me carriers are either trying to get you to lease the phone through some sort of plan, or trying to pad out the payments for your phones through some upgrade plan. For people that do that kind of thing it isn't a big deal. News like this sucks for people like me who just wants to buy the dang thing outright and actually own it... I have enough payments on things I don't need a payment plan for my stupid phone too.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

5 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

That's sad, really loving this XL, guess I'll have to get a 2 XL. 

You'd probably be better off waiting until October when updates stop and then getting something from the 3 lineup.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

BUT I want a Head phone jack! I am just going to end up losing the Dongle then I will be SOL. 

Source: I own 1st gen Pixel XL

Wow only 2 years of software updates. So sad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Wow only 2 years of software updates. So sad. 

3 years actually. 2 of them OS and security updates and the 3rd year only security.

Pixel 2nd gen is getting 3 years of OS updates.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

It seems like to me carriers are either trying to get you to lease the phone through some sort of plan, or trying to pad out the payments for your phones through some upgrade plan. For people that do that kind of thing it isn't a big deal. News like this sucks for people like me who just wants to buy the dang thing outright and actually own it... I have enough payments on things I don't need a payment plan for my stupid phone too.

Most carriers give you the option to pay the full cost upfront or spread it out over 24 months with zero interest/extra fees with the option to pay off the rest of it whenever you want (again, at no extra cost) giving you the option to switch carriers at any time. So I don't really see the downside to monthly payments.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most carriers give you the option to pay the full cost upfront or spread it out over 24 months with zero interest/extra fees with the option to pay off the rest of it whenever you want (again, at no extra cost) giving you the option to switch carriers at any time. So I don't really see the downside to monthly payments.

From what i've seen, it's not easy to switch from monthly to paying the whole thing. Most people around here do monthly.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

From what i've seen, it's not easy to switch from monthly to paying the whole thing. Most people around here do monthly.

I literally just have to log into my Verizon account and click "Pay Off Device" and then pick a payment method.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.20.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.20.21 PM.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I mean, Google sent me the wrong model Pixel during my RMA 4 months ago, so sure.

Hell yeah.

guess more reason to stop buying flagships. What's the point in shelling out 800 to 1000 bucks for a phone that is as fragile as ever with their glass sandwich design, sealed in battery that'll only last a year before giving issues, removing features as if less equals more, locked bootloaders cause reasons.

Lucky i have a v10 since it's the last of it's kind and i'm going to make it last as long as possible, but if i didn't have it i'd just buy sub 300 bucks phone and switch each year frankly.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because of the amount these phones cost? Or because the carrier doesn't make it easy?  I know Verizon employees look very confused when I walk in and pay for a new phone in cash. There was one person that actually asked why I do it that way...that it was so expensive and monthly payments are more affordable. Guess she didn't understand that they're going to get the money at some point.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

6 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Wait, a Google's 2 year old phone is going to lose OS updates?Amazing, it's really impossible to buy a phone that will last at least 5 years.How many resources are we going to throw away?

Yeah! And it’s not the first time Google screwed their customers with updates. I am still scarred with the Nexus 4 that was totally gimped after ~2 years of dumb updates. I am never ever buying a phone from Google again. Because it’s guaranteed to be obsolete in 2 years time. Or you can take the time to “hack” your phone and install Lineage OS.  

Ironically, people love to talk smack about Apple and yet the iPhone 6S that was released in 2015 is still supported. And the battery issue is essentially resolved with an update and the $30 battery replacement plan. 

Honestly, Google should just tell everyone to install a 3rd party OS and make it easy to install custom ROMs because they’re clearly letting everyone down. 

13 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Honestly, Google should just tell everyone to install a 3rd party OS and make it easy to install custom ROMs because they’re clearly letting everyone down. 

How about a phone with no RAM installed, and just an unlocked bootloader and recovery preinstalled?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

a phone with no RAM installed

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Phones should really have longer support though. Specially like this one or flagships in general. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I've accepted the reality that smart phones, just like computers, become obsolete the moment you buy them. I still have a SG Note 4...It's not even 4 years old yet. However it is an absolute antique with no more new android OS OTA releases (at least none that are being announced). Likely it'll be stuck at Marshmallow (android 6.0) and being that Nouget (7.0) and Oreo (8.0) are already a thing, it's only a matter of time before it falls into the "unsupported" category.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

23 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why? OS upgrades are not that big anymore and security updates are all that really matter.

23 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Yeah it sounds like it will still get the next update to what 9.0? so you have till the year after that till its Technically behind on the new OS which would be 10? by then the phone will be 3-4 years old and on its way out also the Pixel 3 would be a year old by then and 4 comming out soon why get a 2. Just seems so far out in the tech world to just say go buy a pixel 2xl 

15 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Because of the amount these phones cost? Or because the carrier doesn't make it easy?  I know Verizon employees look very confused when I walk in and pay for a new phone in cash. There was one person that actually asked why I do it that way...that it was so expensive and monthly payments are more affordable. Guess she didn't understand that they're going to get the money at some point.

Yeah its the same price. BUT while carriers dont charge interest while making payments on a phone. Overall it will cause  many people make them overspend and be stuck with a large EIP. many people think $35 a month fits into there budget but  if you asked for $900 upfront they would say they cant afford the phone. But they dont understand that if they cant afford a $900 phone upfront they cant Afford it a month either as its the same price. Just because you can make the payments doesn't mean you can actually Afford it in the grand scheme of things.  Same thing that companies have always done with Credit Cards, Layaway, Rent to own, just 5 easy payments commcercials ECT. Though this is not as bad as those by far it has a hint of the i cant afford to buy it but let me make payments idea that Americans love to be in debt to afford it.

you get a weird Look because your probably fiscally responsible and understand not to borrow money to buy a phone which is great but many don't understand that concept as its not the "american way" so its weird to them. 

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

17 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I literally just have to log into my Verizon account and click "Pay Off Device" and then pick a payment method.

Project Fi is just as easy, I just wish I could pay more per month when I can like 50 vs my 35/m payment plan.

All I have to do to pay it off on Fi is click to pay it off and the remaining balance will be charged on the next bill.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

If this is apple saying: iphone 8 will only receive 2 years of OS update this forum is gonna blow up. 

Not only that, but the French would file a lawsuit for planned obsolescence. 

It’s sad that nobody cares about the Google Pixel...

Just checked phones on Amazon. The Mi Max 2 sounds like a nice device, big battery and a good enough SoC that should do it's job for a year before it gets replaced by the next best offering at the same price range. Though there also is the Mi A1 with Android One but smaller battery...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

No more OS updates after 2 years?? How is that acceptable, Apple is still releasing updates for the iPhone 5S which released back in 2013! 

Google should be setting the standard at a high level for other manufactures to follow. 

9 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Not only that, but the French would file a lawsuit for planned obsolescence. 

It’s sad that nobody cares about the Google Pixel...

nah this forum is just biased towards android against apple. thats it

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, Camoxide said:

No more OS updates after 2 years?? How is that acceptable

Few consumers actually care, and those that hold onto their devices longer than their contracts especially don't care.

Plus, with Android, KitKat was the major last update worth giving a fuck about. Lollipop+ have largely been garbage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.