Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

On 1/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, Bitter said:

Get more RAM for it, over 16MB Windows 95 just flys man. We had 40MB in our Acer after we upgraded it and dang it was so much smoother! There's some tweaks in Windows to make it disk cache less and use memory more, really speeds things up when it's not hitting up the disk as often.

Time to make it run on 8GB of RAM I guess...

Love,

Mother Fawkes

30 minutes ago, Jessica.Fawkes said:

Time to make it run on 8GB of RAM I guess...

do not know for sure. but seems it is impossible because of 32 bit nature of system.

Another setup I have.

Asus A7M 266-D with a pair of XP-M 2800's in use cooled by a pair of Tt Volcano 11's.

597428.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

i had compleatly forgotten that i had ever owned this card. this would have been in my Athlon 64 3000+ system. and retired when i upgraded to an Athlon 64 x2 4200+ with pci-express. my memory told me the Athlon 64 3000+ had a radeon 9600pro all-in-wonder in it when i retired it.

x800xl1.jpg

x800xl2.jpg

x800xl3.jpg

x800xl4.jpg

I'm using a Maxtor 6L300S0 hard drive as the test bench drive on my friends Ryzen 5 1600AF/B450 Tomahawk build.

https://www.newegg.com/maxtor-diamondmax-10-6l300s0-300gb/p/N82E16822144421

It's from at least 2006, maybe older? It's not terrible if you're only doing one thing at a time but it's pretty terrible if you're trying to unzip something or do more than one thing at a time.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'm using a Maxtor 6L300S0 hard drive as the test bench drive on my friends Ryzen 5 1600AF/B450 Tomahawk build.

https://www.newegg.com/maxtor-diamondmax-10-6l300s0-300gb/p/N82E16822144421

It's from at least 2006, maybe older? It's not terrible if you're only doing one thing at a time but it's pretty terrible if you're trying to unzip something or do more than one thing at a time.

WOW! I can imagine, yes! We are in front a warrior of a thousand and one battles.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

17 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

WOW! I can imagine, yes! We are in front a warrior of a thousand and one battles.

Haha yeah. It was in Pentium 4 system along side a pair of Diamond Max 9 drives 120GB in RAID 0 or RAID 1 depending what year it was lol. I think I got the 300GB drive to backup the array to because an overclocked PCI bus while substantially faster was also substantially less stable! Of course all 3 drives were on the same overclocked bus and all 3 had corrupted files. Ah, young and dumb.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Haha yeah. It was in Pentium 4 system along side a pair of Diamond Max 9 drives 120GB in RAID 0 or RAID 1 depending what year it was lol. I think I got the 300GB drive to backup the array to because an overclocked PCI bus while substantially faster was also substantially less stable! Of course all 3 drives were on the same overclocked bus and all 3 had corrupted files. Ah, young and dumb.

Ok ok, the important thing is that it is still working! Just remember that the only thing that lasts forever is the rocks, and not so much because they last millions of years and not "forever" literally ?, it may be unnecessary to say so but do not put important data in it...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

12 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Ok ok, the important thing is that it is still working! Just remember that the only thing that lasts forever is the rocks, and not so much because they last millions of years and not "forever" literally ?, it may be unnecessary to say so but do not put important data in it...

Yep, just a drive for the test bench. Usually I have a spare SSD but they're all in use at the moment. I need to grab some decent cheap small ones for test bench duty again.

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yep, just a drive for the test bench. Usually I have a spare SSD but they're all in use at the moment. I need to grab some decent cheap small ones for test bench duty again.

Alright, alright! Cool! Nowadays there is so much variety to choose from that the only thing I tell people is that they buy SSD with a 5-year warranty, those are the best, although depending on the case, the best of the best may not be necessary...

Finally got my modem up and running but it seems a bit slow. I remember the excitement when the 56K video cards came out. Blazing speed. first pic. It could load a single low res pic in less than a minute.

Then came by video cards. Radeon 6450, GeForce FX5200 (128 meg) NVidia Riva TNT2 M64, and the NVidia GEForce 2 MX400. One of the NVidia cards even had a fan, by God, and that was the hot rod. I've been around awhile. These cards all seem to be a bit "laggy" when playing 1080 video games. I don't think that one frame every 5 seconds is quite quick enough. Who else has a "Junk Drawer"?

The struggles were real. 

20200121_105631.jpg

20200121_105724.jpg

20200121_105804.jpg

5 hours ago, 1963SS said:

Who else has a "Junk Drawer"?

My junk drawer - since I cleaned up around a month ago - now mainly features projects I am currently working on. So that means I have a couple DS systems, PSP's and GameBoy sitting a drawer with some additional cables, buttons, etc. in it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Cleaning out stuff I don't need, yours for shipping and handling:

Sun Cobalt Qube. Fully functional. Version 2 (IIRC)

PM me if you want it

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

the recipe for early 2005 greatness.

Athlon64x2 4200+

Asus A8N SLI deluxe

2 gigs of OCZ DDR 400 Platinum

Geforce 7900GT's in SLI

Zalman cooling on everything

long gone is the Cooler Master Wave Master(with a self cut side window, and filled with blue led antec 80mm case fans), that the system lived in, along with the pc power and cooling 510 watt power supply.

i cant recall what hard drives were in this system. i suspect i retired my pair of (surprisingly still alive at the time) IBM Desk Star 60 gxp hard drives when i build this and went to a sata drive of some sort. but i cant recall it.

7900gtsli.jpg

a8nslidelux.jpg

oczplatinum.jpg

sligoodness3.jpg

Out with the old, in with new PC's. Decided to keep some of the older hardware as collectibles. 

IMG_6955.jpg

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

21 minutes ago, Naterr said:

Out with the old, in with new PC's. Decided to keep some of the older hardware as collectibles. 

I can game on this XD

8 hours ago, Naterr said:

holy crud that is a lot of ram 

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 hours ago, sub68 said:

holy crud that is a lot of ram 

Some low pro ddr3, few ddr2 modules, and tons of 2 GB/4 GB ddr3 modules. 

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

26 minutes ago, Naterr said:

Some low pro ddr3, few ddr2 modules, and tons of 2 GB/4 GB ddr3 modules. 

ok not big modules but ok for 32 bit systems 

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

right now my windows 7 gaming computer is a

intel i3 2nd gen 

4gb of ram 

the motherboard is from a old lenovo prebuilt but put into a thermaltake lanbox lite 

trying to get windows 7 drivers for a gt 710 but not successful yet

the hard drive is the one from the lenovo system ( super slow i don't have money for a ssd yet)

the power supply is stock from lenovo 

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

22 minutes ago, sub68 said:

trying to get windows 7 drivers for a gt 710 but not successful yet

Nvidia should still have those drivers available for download.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

34 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Nvidia should still have those drivers available for download.

yeah I tried them but still displays as a adaptor

also I have 120-270 watt psu so I think I need to upgrade

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

11 hours ago, sub68 said:

yeah I tried them but still displays as a adaptor

also I have 120-270 watt psu so I think I need to upgrade

... stupid question but isn't that how it's supposed to work?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

... stupid question but isn't that how it's supposed to work?

I think it should work as a gpu not a adaptor

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, sub68 said:

I think it should work as a gpu not a adaptor

Can you get in to nvidia control panel?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!