Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheTechnerd

Show off your old and retro computer parts

5 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I think I'm getting old, I don't really think of xp as retro 

I know how you feel.  My daughter was born the same year XP was released,  now she's old enough to vote. 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

That laptop is an Alienware? Looks too robust to be an Apple product...

So very close.  It's a Dell XPS M2010. 

Stock photo until I get all the peices put back together. 

dims.jpeg.4e599913191aa7fd63897dcf36463750.jpeg

Currently waiting on HDD caddies, 2x SSD, 4GB Ram kit,  CMOS battery, top cover for the optical drive (hinge point broken for the motorized lift mech), and a new AC adapter (requires 150W, the 90W I have locks the CPU at 1Ghz). 

Things I'd like to find if anyone knows a source: 

The original mouse that shipped with it

A reputable company that can rebuild the battery pack 

Replacement back cover for the screen (soft touch is starting to get sticky)

8 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I have been looking for a way to get into late 90's early 2000's retro computing but didn't want to have another huge desktop system.  Trying to find the perfect laptop has been a chore but I think I succeeded today.  $40 and 3 hours at a State auction and I have this beauty.

1473248747_DellXPSM2010Internal.thumb.jpg.5a20dd8bd80c3b10ea69eb0acd3af6dc.jpg

Anyone guess what it is?  I'll give you a hint.  Under the heat sink on the right is this...

ATI Radeon Mobility X1800

ATI GPU.jpg

And my alternative to that is an Asus A3H (upgraded from Celeron M380 to Pentium M 770, 2GB DDR2 and a 160GB HDD) with Intel 915GMA graphics, or an Asus F3L with Pentium T2370, 2GB DDR2 (chipset limit - older Tecra M5 which started with a Core Duo supported 4GB) and Intel X3100 graphics.

I don't think that I'll ever upgrade the CPU in the F3L though. It kind of sucks that the T7600 that I put in my deceased Tecra M5 isn't socket compatible.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well i'm done with the dual p3 system for now. Did some soldering, replaced some more caps. Changed absolutely nothing to the usability of SATA in this system. Still can't access the drives. Think the board has some more serious issues i can't fix. But PATA works just fine for now, so i'll just keep using that.Till it craps out, then ill replace it with my athlon 2000+ and add SATA to that.

Specs:

2x Pentium 3 1Ghz

MSI 694D pro

1.5 GB Memory (PC133 SDR)

320GB WD HDD (main drive)

30GB Maxtor HDD (Install drive, don't have the molex to connect the dvd-drive :P)

3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1!

Intel 1000GT pro NIC

USB 2.0 PCI Card

Q-TEC SATA card (not in use, just left it in 😛)

Seasonic Focus Gold 450W PSU

Antec 2 speed 120mm Fan to cool both cpu's.

Here's the long awaited pic:

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.c7a32791159dd986d05e1ef56f27d239.JPG

Recently also ran into some old cd-rom games. Also retro, though not hardware, but it might be called a computer part right?

Retro-Games.thumb.JPG.bafa7d79c580e0eb96a7ffa2f7104b6c.JPG

Some well known, some not so well known :P. I personally never played phantasmagoria, it's my brothers game and he played it all the way through, it still scares the shit out of me :P. The westwood case contains the legend of kyrandia trilogy, dune 2 and lands of lore. Also a video collection. Dune 2 and Lands of Lore were the sole reason i bought it :P. Probably my all time favorite games.

I have no signature

12 minutes ago, Helly said:

Well i'm done with the dual p3 system for now. Did some soldering, replaced some more caps. Changed absolutely nothing to the usability of SATA in this system. Still can't access the drives. Think the board has some more serious issues i can't fix. But PATA works just fine for now, so i'll just keep using that.Till it craps out, then ill replace it with my athlon 2000+ and add SATA to that.

Specs:

2x Pentium 3 1Ghz

MSI 694D pro

1.5 GB Memory (PC133 SDR)

320GB WD HDD (main drive)

30GB Maxtor HDD (Install drive, don't have the molex to connect the dvd-drive :P)

3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1!

Intel 1000GT pro NIC

USB 2.0 PCI Card

Q-TEC SATA card (not in use, just left it in 😛)

Seasonic Focus Gold 450W PSU

Antec 2 speed 120mm Fan to cool both cpu's.

Here's the long awaited pic:

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.c7a32791159dd986d05e1ef56f27d239.JPG

Recently also ran into some old cd-rom games. Also retro, though not hardware, but it might be called a computer part right?

Retro-Games.thumb.JPG.bafa7d79c580e0eb96a7ffa2f7104b6c.JPG

Some well known, some not so well known :P. I personally never played phantasmagoria, it's my brothers game and he played it all the way through, it still scares the shit out of me :P. The westwood case contains the legend of kyrandia trilogy, dune 2 and lands of lore. Also a video collection. Dune 2 and Lands of Lore were the sole reason i bought it :P. Probably my all time favorite games.

That looks pretty damn snazy. Love the dual PIII builds (though yours would overclock better since my Abit VP6 doesn't have the "unlink memory speed from FSB" option).
Kind of sucks how even the dual socket boards of the time for the most part had a top mounted power connector as well. It really plays havoc with cases that have bottom mounted PSU (have to use my rather abysmal VS650 for power).

PMSL

20 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That looks pretty damn snazy. Love the dual PIII builds (though yours would overclock better since my Abit VP6 doesn't have the "unlink memory speed from FSB" option).
Kind of sucks how even the dual socket boards of the time for the most part had a top mounted power connector as well. It really plays havoc with cases that have bottom mounted PSU (have to use my rather abysmal VS650 for power).

I actually forgot to mention i overclocked it to 1075 or 1100. Not sure, been a few weeks now since i last used it. But it ran fine :)

I have no signature

16 minutes ago, Helly said:

I actually forgot to mention i overclocked it to 1075 or 1100. Not sure, been a few weeks now since i last used it. But it ran fine :)

Considering mine with my lone stick of SDRAM that could manage over 150MHz stable, 1100MHz wouldn't surprise me. As it stands, with all 4x 512MB PC133 sticks (came with the board, as did the PIII 1K and stock coolers) 1050MHz was my highest stable with the FSB at 140MHz (quick and dirty OC, no SDRAM tweaks).

PMSL

13 hours ago, Helly said:

Why hello dual-P3-and-30GB-Maxtor-drive brother. Hella jelly about your RAM. 1.5GB would be stupid nice over my 512MB, though ideally I'd want a full 4GB.

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

Why hello dual-P3-and-30GB-Maxtor-drive brother. Hella jelly about your RAM. 1.5GB would be stupid nice over my 512MB, though ideally I'd want a full 4GB.

I'm not sure if some 32-bit systems can access 4 GB. My Thonkpad R60 has 4 GB of memory installed but the BIOS tells me that it can only access 3 GB.

The Schnoz

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

30GB-Maxtor-drive

hey that's more storage than i have

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // FAQ

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Don't be a light theme peasant

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE

25 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I'm not sure if some 32-bit systems can access 4 GB. My Thonkpad R60 has 4 GB of memory installed but the BIOS tells me that it can only access 3 GB.

And this is supposed to influence my decisions how? This isn't some meh-tier laptop. Would also be retarded to run non-matching sticks, and having one slot empty is retarded looking.

9 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

having one slot empty is retarded looking.

*has a Thonkpad with an open slot*

IMAG1118.thumb.jpg.82901b8cca32a59c929329a2d697b7eb.jpg

I used many times ZIP 100/250/750 when I was high school student :D (ZIP 100 drive and ZIP 250 drive, I bought them in used and ZIP 750 drive, I bought it in new)

And for JAZ 2GB, it's for my collection.

PC #1 : Gigabyte B150M-HD3 DDR3 | i7-7700 | 16GB DDR3L 1600 | Zotac GeForce GT610 PCIe 1x | LSI SAS 3081E-R | 240GB NVMe PCIe PNY CS2030 | HDDs 41.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | DELL 27" LED 2560x1440 (plugged DVI port)
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2667 v3 | 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg 2133 | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC 8G | 6x 120GB SSD SATA RAID0 | Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium | Lian Li PC-A77 | DELL 27" LED 2560x1440 (plugged DP port)
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 4GB DDR3L 1600 | 32GB eMMC M.2 | 40GB SSD OCZ Vertex 2 | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL 15" LCD 1024x768

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T61p | T9500 | 4GB DDR2 667 | Quadro FX 570m | 120GB SSD OCZ Vertex 2 | 15.4" 1920x1200

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10" LCD tactile 800x600 display | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue

And I have 8 others computers.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:16 AM, Dabombinable said:

Is that an Inwin case looks like one I had back in the day.

21 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

having one slot empty is retarded looking

21 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

*has a Thonkpad with an open slot*

10 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

*has a Latitude with an open slot*

* Spent almost $700 to fill every slot*

869105229_20170830_182518(2).thumb.jpg.ff836366e78e770676eefb9988748f26.jpg

4 hours ago, X-System said:

I used many times ZIP 100/250/750 when I was high school student :D (ZIP 100 drive and ZIP 250 drive, I bought them in used and ZIP 750 drive, I bought it in new)

And for JAZ 2GB, it's for my collection.

I love old storage media.  Always tickles my fancy.

5 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Now pluck one stick out at random and die a little inside. 😈

I already died a little inside when I saw this same ram kit now goes for $300 less than I paid for it in late 2017.  Price fixing arseholes. Where's my class action lawsuit.  Lol