Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

If you can afford to buy it outright, sure. You do not want debt going into college, and you don't want bad credit coming out of college because when you can actually afford a car it'll make it extremely difficult. I'm 23 out of college with a good income and good credit. It was hard to finance my car simply because I am a first time car buyer. APR is high because of that. Fortunately I'm financed through a good local CU so I can refinance down the road... if I want to. 

Are you talking about the MS3 or the MS6? Because an MS6 i can buy outright for under 10 grand. An MS3, i mean like when i'm in my mid 20s or something like that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

OK, then explain to me why most of the turboed cars on Speedhunters go with a single huge turbo instead of a twin turbo setup.

More simple, less parts to worry about. And with a single huge turbo you get massive power once its starts to spool up.

If it's a personal car, then a single turbo is better suited. Due to all of the extra work that comes with two turbo's.

Are you talking about the MS3 or the MS6? Because an MS6 i can buy outright for under 10 grand. An MS3, i mean like when i'm in my mid 20s or something like that.

MS6. I don't know what used MS3s go for, all I know is they torque steer like crazy. I'm not a huge fan of the 2.3s either. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

For example, an MS6 hits boost at 2000RPM, so it's almost instant after you throttle it.

If you've driven a turbocharged car, you will also notice that this is on a dyno pull. Max boost at that low of an RPM will happen at higher gears since the boost threshold is low, and lag does not impede things too much when the engine revs slowly due to the load.

At lower gears, you'd never get that (except if the car is heavily laden or going uphill). We've always had turbocharged vehicles in the family since I was young, and we fully understand their quirks.

Turbocharged cars are great for highway overtaking. They are not the best for corner exit acceleration.

But their straight 6s were...legendary :( I really don't appreciate the fact they went for V6s. Don't know how shrinking engines helps. I mean, displacement wise, a 2JZ is smaller than the V6 in the current Camry.

They want a compact engine, not a small displacement engine. Small dimensions make an engine easier to package in a vehicle without upsetting weight balance, interior space, or overall vehicle weight/size/cost.

So what do you think is better: One huge turbo or two slightly smaller turbos in parallel?

It depends on the engine design. If it's a 6-cylinder or more, the twin setup may have less lag. A single large turbo is generally simpler in plumbing and is more efficient in packing air in once it gets to the sweet spot, however.

Packaging and thermal loss can also be a problem for a single turbo setup on a Vee engine (except for those that have the exhaust ports facing in).

Those cloth seats look good and they won't crack like leather.

They are pretty nice seats for cloth. Same design as the half cloth, half leather that I really wanted. But these are in such a good condition that I will probably keep them :D

What should I do, get an MS6 a year after i get my license (bc i need to save up), or should I wait and get the possible third gen Mazdaspeed 3? I'm tempted to wait for the new MS3 if it comes out because it's engine makes upward of 300hp, but then again, it's slightly larger, and plus, it's got a 4wd system, i hope permanent 4wd, not something like the MS6 had, or at least a button or something to direct the power. I suppose it's to solve the hellacious torque steer the first two gens had. I just hope it also comes with great interior features, like navi, leather, moonroof, etc.

If it is your first car. Get a shitbox. Unless you are 100% sure that you can pay for insurance,tax etc on the MS6

Muh cur.

Large pictures inside.

P483I9y.jpg

xe5tpSa.jpg

ApxKG9n.jpg

Guess i should've known it would be silver xD

Looks great. May it give you years of trouble free motoring^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Guess i should've known it would be silver xD

Looks great. May it give you years of trouble free motoring^^

I would have wanted metallic grey, or dark blue. But man, I just couldn't pass up the deal on this car.

I would have wanted metallic grey, or dark blue. But man, I just couldn't pass up the deal on this car.

I can see why. The thing looks almost brand new

Silver, Gray, Black and white are basically the main choices on our used car market. Nobody seems to have the balls to get something fun. They all go with classy to keep the resale value up. 

I love seeing my neighbours lime green focus on the road. A nice dash of colour in a monotone sea of cars

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

547b4f1235e1095d5226d19589fae4-55a05b67b

I would love to work in my kitchen. Proper heating and access to food <3

Hmmm mmm mmm decisions are hard to make. Hmmm mm I dont want to screw up this decision. Hımmm mm a moments pleasure can screw up my car history

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Hmmm mmm mmm decisions are hard to make. Hmmm mm I dont want to screw up this decision. Hımmm mm a moments pleasure can screw up my car history

What is it

Also +1 for the dual 7850s. How many problems have you had?

I can see why. The thing looks almost brand new

Silver, Gray, Black and white are basically the main choices on our used car market. Nobody seems to have the balls to get something fun. They all go with classy to keep the resale value up. 

I love seeing my neighbours lime green focus on the road. A nice dash of colour in a monotone sea of cars

I have thought of vinyl wrapping the car. To preserve the current paint, and to give another color without having to respray it. But that will be a project when I actually have money again.

I have thought of vinyl wrapping the car. To preserve the current paint, and to give another color without having to respray it. But that will be a project when I actually have money again.

I really want to try vinyl wrapping a car too.. The end result might be a bit.. Clarksonian though

I really want to try vinyl wrapping a car too.. The end result might be a bit.. Clarksonian though

Same here. That's probably why I would end up paying a bloke to do it.

Same here. That's probably why I would end up paying a bloke to do it.

The only place that i trust to wrap my car around here gave me a quote that was just a bit cheaper than painting it :/

What is it

Also +1 for the dual 7850s. How many problems have you had?

Well my neighbor and family friend deals with second hand cars. And with most second hand cars they are bought from the auctions. I told him I want certain cars and he said yes if I come across a good one I'll hit you up. We'll the next week he sends me a text saying I got a camaro for you. The catfish. I never told him a camaro BTW. So I didn't want to go for it but it's available on my price range and basically what I want rwd 5 speed not a pickup. I don't really have anything specific in mind except for the impreza because it has 4 doors and awd will be just as good because it's not fwd. But I looked at the prices for it and damn screw that. So I'm thinking about going for either a 318ti or 323i or 325i but the problem is the camaro is readily available the BMW 's are not. But I will be delivering pizzas and I don't want most of that money going towards gas either. Good thing is I have a buddy that has a dad that really understand bimmers. And he can go to auctions too. But I don't know. I don't want to put him in a tough spot. Also is it worth it to go with a 325 instead of the 323 with the 1000 dollar price difference. I just want something that can handle and do track days with. Do you think the power increase is worth it?

I had a cooling problem with my case before I got the second card. Now I can't even use the second card which sucks. So if your gonna go with the second card I suggest you get the best cooling you can for your pc. It can be all components water-cool ing or have a really good airflow. Also if you can have them far from each other it would be great. I have no idea what the performance is like since I can't really use it. But when I go back to the states I'll make a computer case out of plywood so it won't restricted in terms of airflow hopefully.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

The only place that i trust to wrap my car around here gave me a quote that was just a bit cheaper than painting it :/

That's a real bummer. My first plan of action is to prep the car for the winter. Going to check what it will cost to undercoat the car. And if it's too expensive, then I will probably just coat the wheel wells myself.

Well my neighbor and family friend deals with second hand cars. And with most second hand cars they are bought from the auctions. I told him I want certain cars and he said yes if I come across a good one I'll hit you up. We'll the next week he sends me a text saying I got a camaro for you. The catfish. I never told him a camaro BTW. So I didn't want to go for it but it's available on my price range and basically what I want rwd 5 speed not a pickup. I don't really have anything specific in mind except for the impreza because it has 4 doors and awd will be just as good because it's not fwd. But I looked at the prices for it and damn screw that. So I'm thinking about going for either a 318ti or 323i or 325i but the problem is the camaro is readily available the BMW 's are not. But I will be delivering pizzas and I don't want most of that money going towards gas either. Good thing is I have a buddy that has a dad that really understand bimmers. And he can go to auctions too. But I don't know. I don't want to put him in a tough spot. Also is it worth it to go with a 325 instead of the 323 with the 1000 dollar price difference. I just want something that can handle and do track days with. Do you think the power increase is worth it?

I had a cooling problem with my case before I got the second card. Now I can't even use the second card which sucks. So if your gonna go with the second card I suggest you get the best cooling you can for your pc. It can be all components water-cool ing or have a really good airflow. Also if you can have them far from each other it would be great. I have no idea what the performance is like since I can't really use it. But when I go back to the states I'll make a computer case out of plywood so it won't restricted in terms of airflow hopefully.

Had to google catfish camaro

lkjma041sm.jpg

I laughed way harder than i should've

Personally i prefer the 325. It seems like it has a more solid base for tuning (Exept maybe for Vanos)

But the camaro is something i'd personally consider now.. I'd duct tape straws to it because that would be funny

I had dual 7850s before and i had loads of problems with driver crashes and stuttering xD Might be a lot better now though

That's a real bummer. My first plan of action is to prep the car for the winter. Going to check what it will cost to undercoat the car. And if it's too expensive, then I will probably just coat the wheel wells myself.

You can undercoat a car yourself for not a huge amount of money. I used to do that to most of my cars. It is a bit of a faff and covering everything is not easy.

And protecting bits that are not going to be undercoated takes a while

Just put it on jackstands and wear clothing that you don't like. A balaklava and protective glasses is good too.. Lost a perfectly good mustache to that crap

From cars and coffee yesterday

19019642364_e648e7e9f4_o.jpgeclass by Tauss ., on Flickr

19616032106_03e141aea9_o.jpgpagan huayra by Tauss ., on Flickr

19021281713_147bd244da_o.jpgcorrola by Tauss ., on Flickr

19455634649_8de54655fc_o.jpgsupra by Tauss ., on Flickr

19635205482_953c7a303f_o.jpgsupra light by Tauss ., on Flickr

19454262630_775314379e_o.jpgcelica by Tauss ., on Flickr

19455673039_78343534b9_o.jpgIMG_0539 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19646731001_51bd79b7f3_o.jpgcamaro by Tauss ., on Flickr

what way too much camber looks like

19646738161_c7714a7491_o.jpgstace miata by Tauss ., on Flickr

19019718464_97d0ce6df5_o.jpge46's by Tauss ., on Flickr

19646752571_a55dbb9b84_o.jpgf12 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19646759511_e72da0b903_o.jpgp1 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19642324815_e9d58350a6_o.jpg918 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19021377223_d7526cac9b_o.jpgBAC Mono by Tauss ., on Flickr

19019755154_d2084f25a1_o.jpgpagani interior by Tauss ., on Flickr

19616157316_6a8073339c_o.jpgp1 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19455744089_04d3b4fda6_o.jpg458 by Tauss ., on Flickr

19635309972_f9a1ea3f9a_o.jpgsupras by Tauss ., on Flickr

19021414223_098814a10c_o.jpgsupra2 by Tauss ., on Flickr

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz