Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

heard a turbine engine eat itself from the inside at a tractor pull once

did not sound cheap xD those guys can put down some serious power

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

But some engines come factory with sequential twin turbos to virtually eliminate lag (MKIV Supra, RX7).

There's still lag, which annoys me. :P

There's a reason why they are turbo'ed (@ high altitudes and so on). And not to mention better fuel economy that turbo's enable. *cough* EcoBoost *cough*

Yeah but they can make that much without so much boost because they are a higher displacement engine. Also, turbos are TERRIBLE for fuel economy.

008769-high-resolution-dark-blue-denim-j

Yeah ecoboost is only economical if you granny it. If you live on the boost, like anybody with a turbo charged vehicle would then rip gas mileage. 

Oh yeah. Once I get them to spin my fuel economy drops like a fucking rock.

ftfy

If only straight 6 engines made a comeback. Stupid V6s had to exist.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Don't think it will happen.

Might as well go for a 370z or something

ugh.. I'm just going to pretend that japans automotive industry died after 2000 instead

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Lmao, if you want a small vehicle you're not getting a straight six.

What did you feel before/as it died?

It just died. No noise, no nothing. I was going along, and the engine/power steering cut out.

I do remember pushing the gas pedal right before that, and it felt empty (if that makes any sense).

I coasted for a bit, then pulled off the road. It would turn but wouldn't fire.

Lmao, if you want a small vehicle you're not getting a straight six.

The BMW 1M had a straight 6.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It just died. No noise, no nothing. I was going along, and the engine/power steering cut out.

I do remember pushing the gas pedal right before that, and it felt empty (if that makes any sense).

I coasted for a bit, then pulled off the road. It would turn but wouldn't fire.

Maybe it was just simply out of gas.

The BMW 1M had a straight 6.

And you sacrifice cabin space or trunk space for that too. :/

Likely, if it's an older model I know the gas gauges on those will simply stop working correctly.

Yeah ecoboost is only economical if you granny it. If you live on the boost, like anybody with a turbo charged vehicle would then rip gas mileage. 

I think more of the point is that it allows for a smaller displacement injury without performance loss doesn't matter if you are on boost or not and a large portion of city driving and in traffic would be off boost. 

System: Thinkpad T460

I don't believe so. I had plenty when I left town.

That wouldn't cause the power steering to go out, would it?

I think more of the point is that it allows for a smaller displacement injury without performance loss doesn't matter if you are on boost or not and a large portion of city driving and in traffic would be off boost. 

'cept how they're tuned you hit boost during most regular driving. It's pretty hard to stay out of it actually.

And you sacrifice cabin space or trunk space for that too. :/

Likely, if it's an older model I know the gas gauges on those will simply stop working correctly.

Plus, those Vortec engines suck gas. Especially that 8.3L V8.

I don't believe so. I had plenty when I left town.

That wouldn't cause the power steering to go out, would it?

Well technically the power steering relies on the power of the engine, so when the engine runs out of fuel, it cuts out and also kills the power steering.

'cept how they're tuned you hit boost during most regular driving. It's pretty hard to stay out of it actually.

For example, an MS6 hits boost at 2000RPM, so it's almost instant after you throttle it.

It's not meant to be economical, lol. It's meant to move things.

Well technically the power steering relies on the power of the engine, so when the engine runs out of fuel, it cuts out and also kills the power steering.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Well, I should double check before the mechanics look at it, that would be very embarrassing.

I had a hair under half a tank when I left, and I didn't go that far, so I don't know.

For example, an MS6 hits boost at 2000RPM, so it's almost instant after you throttle it.

I think on my truck it's tuned for like 2100-2150 that you'll get in to boost. Slightly different on the cars but it's about the same.

8.3L V8 should have gave that away.

I still challenge that it's more efficient than having two extra cylinders with the same power/torque figures.

And come on 3-cylinders that are actually good to drive... 

I think a 5.7L will do you fine. 8.3L seems overkill.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Well, I should double check before the mechanics look at it, that would be very embarrassing.

I had a hair under half a tank when I left, and I didn't go that far, so I don't know.

Sometimes after it dips under a certain level, the fuel gauge can simply stop working. Like on my minivan, when it goes under 1/4 tank, it stops working so you don't exactly know how many miles you can go before it runs out.

I think on my truck it's tuned for like 2100-2150 that you'll get in to boost. Slightly different on the cars but it's about the same.

I think it's just to increase performance mostly while pulling away. I mean, it's seriously pointless to enter boost at like 5-6K RPM when most of that time you're never in that range.

probably won't happen.. The v6s and l4s are cheaper to use for the manufacturers.

Strangely we apparently have a small Dutch car company to thank for the existence of straight sixes. Spyker

and Britain for making them extraordinarily pretty.

8.3L V8 should have gave that away.

I still challenge that it's more efficient than having two extra cylinders with the same power/torque figures.

*cough* BMW i8 *cough*

It's not, it's really not. :/

I think a 5.7L will do you fine. 8.3L seems overkill.

I think it's just to increase performance mostly while pulling away. I mean, it's seriously pointless to enter boost at like 5-6K RPM when most of that time you're never in that range.

It's all about having an engine you don't need to tune to the dot or make sure all the parts up to to the stresses. They're mass produced power houses that make okay power and pretty good torque.

Well yeah, the cars it's just for power, the trucks it's so you have a lot of torque and power off the line to move a heavy load.

probably won't happen.. The v6s and l4s are cheaper to use for the manufacturers.

Strangely we apparently have a small Dutch car company to thank for the existence of straight sixes. Spyker

and Britain for making them extraordinarily pretty.

But Toyota and Nissan make loads of money. They can't seem to spend a bit more to bring back straight 6s? shame. BMW seems like the only manufacturer who still makes straight 6s it seems like for the consumer market.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Could be a fuel pump too. Common on GMs and they'll just die like that. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

It's not, it's really not. :/

What exactly is the point of it then....?