Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

What exactly is the point of it then....?

"More power in a smaller displacement to meet standards set by organizations like the EPA!"

It's only more efficient when you're out of boost. As soon as I hit the boost range it goes from 30+ MPG to 8 and under when I accelerate.

But Toyota and Nissan make loads of money. They can't seem to spend a bit more to bring back straight 6s? shame. BMW seems like the only manufacturer who still makes straight 6s it seems like for the consumer market.

Nissan and toyota are two companies that I doubt will bring back the straight six. They both seem to prefer v6s nowadays. And the trend is to shrink engines to keep treehuggers happy..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Nissan and toyota are two companies that I doubt will bring back the straight six. They both seem to prefer v6s nowadays. And the trend is to shrink engines to keep treehuggers happy..

But their straight 6s were...legendary :( I really don't appreciate the fact they went for V6s. Don't know how shrinking engines helps. I mean, displacement wise, a 2JZ is smaller than the V6 in the current Camry.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think a 5.7L will do you fine. 8.3L seems overkill.

Sometimes after it dips under a certain level, the fuel gauge can simply stop working. Like on my minivan, when it goes under 1/4 tank, it stops working so you don't exactly know how many miles you can go before it runs out.

I think it's just to increase performance mostly while pulling away. I mean, it's seriously pointless to enter boost at like 5-6K RPM when most of that time you're never in that range.

I just ran out and looked since it's not too far away.

Fired it up. It struggled a bit, but it went. The tank wasn't empty according to the gauge, unless the gauge is faulty of course.

Could be a fuel pump too. Common on GMs and they'll just die like that. 

That's what I'm thinking personally.

But their straight 6s were...legendary :( I really don't appreciate the fact they went for V6s. Don't know how shrinking engines helps. I mean, displacement wise, a 2JZ is smaller than the V6 in the current Camry.

1.2l sounds better than 6.3l to someone that lives exclusively off of kale and tofu..

and front wheel drive means the manufacturers can save costs by making the cars easier to assemble.

I'm just going to wait and see what the Duke axial engine will be capable of. Might be a more reliable wankel replacement

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm on a tablet so I can't really get a good look. But if that is a corvair then I am jealous as all fuck right now

1.2l sounds better than 6.3l to someone that lives exclusively off of kale and tofu..

and front wheel drive means the manufacturers can save costs by making the cars easier to assemble.

I'm just going to wait and see what the Duke axial engine will be capable of. Might be a more reliable wankel replacement

that really looks like a weird engine type tbh. it's a weird looking engine design.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

that really looks like a weird engine type tbh. it's a weird looking engine design.

and the wankel isn't?

I'm on a tablet so I can't really get a good look. But if that is a corvair then I am jealous as all fuck right now

It is. It nice to drive at this time of year. The motor looks great on the out side but i was making 67 hp at the wheels. Ripping the motor out later this month and am going to clean the valves.

and the wankel isn't?

No really. It still technically spins on a crankshaft like a normal combustion engine. This axial engine just seems kinda strange.

But i always thought Corvairs were very unsafe and unreliable.

So am I. Corvairs are so cool.

Builds them balls of steel.

No really. It still technically spins on a crankshaft like a normal combustion engine. This axial engine just seems kinda strange.

They are if you don't know how to drive them. My buddy put us sideways in it thank the lord she didn't roll. But the car itself isn't that unsafe. It took me a week to be able to get that thing over 55mph with confidence that i could control it.

They are if you don't know how to drive them. My buddy put us sideways in it thank the lord she didn't roll. But the car itself isn't that unsafe. It took me a week to be able to get that thing over 55mph with confidence that i could control it.

I'd still put a roll cage in it but that's just me. :D

It is. It nice to drive at this time of year. The motor looks great on the out side but i was making 67 hp at the wheels. Ripping the motor out later this month and am going to clean the valves.

Litterally fuming with jealousy right now.

The corvair is such an interesting car concept

You'll get used to it. We might even see higher power outputs from the axial engines than the wankel. Without blowing apex seals

From what I've heard corvair owners say it isn't much worse than the porche 911 in terms of danger

I'd still put a roll cage in it but that's just me. :D

But then it loses the appeal of it being a corvair. My neighbour sold his gremlin and peel p50 the other day. The people i know are great.

But then it loses the appeal of it being a corvair. My neighbour sold his gremlin and peel p50 the other day. The people i know are great.

He had a Peel P50? i kinda want one tbh

He had a Peel P50? i kinda want one tbh

He did sold it had no motor though he payed 1000$ at the local scrap for it cause he thought it was neat.

He did sold it had no motor though he payed 1000$ at the local scrap for it cause he thought it was neat.

Scrap? SCRAP?!?!?! This is the smallest car ever. why would he just scrap it like that? better off selling it to someone to let them have it. selling it as scrap is a waste of a perfectly good car.

Scrap? SCRAP?!?!?! This is the smallest car ever. why would he just scrap it like that? better off selling it to someone to let them have it. selling it as scrap is a waste of a perfectly good car.

He bought it from a scrap......

He bought it from a scrap......

Oh. oops. misread it. :D

Can you put a little moped motor in it or something?

System: Thinkpad T460

Can you put a little moped motor in it or something?

We could have chainsaw motor in it but for some that would sit in the garage as a convo piece he would have rather sold it rather than it sitting there.