Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

let me just put this out there:

Avoid 8th gen corolla's like they are the plague if you don't want to deal with an oil burner. In 2003 they added 4 more oil return drain holes to each piston in the 1ZZ that fixed the oil consumption issue. Unless of course you want to mod it and put a 2ZZ or rebuild the 1ZZ and turbo/supercharge it or something lol

All those engines had oil consumption issues I thought. I know they did in the tC. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

let me just put this out there:

Avoid 8th gen corolla's like they are the plague if you don't want to deal with an oil burner. In 2003 they added 4 more oil return drain holes to each piston in the 1ZZ that fixed the oil consumption issue. Unless of course you want to mod it and put a 2ZZ or rebuild the 1ZZ and turbo/supercharge it or something lol

Don't worry, we already own a 10th gen Corolla, it's all good.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Insurance on a MS6 as a young person would be insane too. I was looking at Corolla 5 speeds for a while in the mid 2000 year range. The Toyota tax isn't too harsh on them.

I've looked into XRS corolla's as well...

Pretty cool cars but from what I've heard they still aren't exactly sporty.

System: Thinkpad T460

All those engines had oil consumption issues I thought. I know they did in the tC. 

no, just the 8th gen corolla (as well as the Chevy prism), there were some other cars that may have used the same engine with only 4 oil return holes per piston but I'm not sure. All I know is for corolla's the 8th gen is the only one (1998-2002)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh, they aren't... but they got a godlike steering wheel. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

they are extremely awesome sports cars when you add some coilovers and good tires lol. That 2ZZ engine is one of my favorites, its not the most powerful thing in the world but it's soo rev happy and awesome to put your foot down with.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

no, just the 8th gen corolla (as well as the Chevy prism), there were some other cars that may have used the same engine with only 4 oil return holes per piston but I'm not sure. All I know is for corolla's the 8th gen is the only one (1998-2002)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

2AZ-FE had oil consumption issues. Thats what I was thinking of.

they are extremely awesome sports cars when you add some coilovers and good tires lol. That 2ZZ engine is one of my favorites, its not the most powerful thing in the world but it's soo rev happy and awesome to put your foot down with.

Yep. The engine is great especially for when it's from. It got a lot of power from a 1.8. Too bad Toyota's performance department is dead nowadays. The later E140 XRS' had Camry engines that pretty much weren't as good and since then there hasn't been a really "fun" Toyota (apart from the GT86(I give the majority of credit to Toyota over Subaru))

Sick as in AWESOME

My feelings about kei cars are kind of a mix. I love 'em because they are so teeny-weeny but some of them are just weird looking. What can you say? It's Japan after all :lol:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

My feelings about kei cars are kind of a mix. I love 'em because they are so teeny-weeny but some of them are just weird looking. What can you say? It's Japan after all :lol:

Living in America, they're almost nonexistent, since america always thinks that bigger=better. Fuck their logic.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yep. The engine is great especially for when it's from. It got a lot of power from a 1.8. Too bad Toyota's performance department is dead nowadays. The later E140 XRS' had Camry engines that pretty much weren't as good and since then there hasn't been a really "fun" Toyota (apart from the GT86(I give the majority of credit to Toyota over Subaru))

I really hope toyota puts a proper engine in there... I would buy one. 

Kei cars seem like fun. But i could not live with one for an extended period of time. European hatchback is the limit of how small i'll go.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Living in America, they're almost nonexistent, since america always thinks that bigger=better. Fuck their logic.

If you consider some of Daihatsu's cars kei cars, we have some here.

If you consider some of Daihatsu's cars kei cars, we have some here.

Like the Copen? those i consider kei cars. I think the smallest car in America was the Chevy Aveo, and that's about it. Nothing smaller than that atm.

Or maybe because kei cars were made for a specific environment like Japan's extremely tight cities, and that they likely don't fit the standards of road safety here. It could be that.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Like the Copen? those i consider kei cars. I think the smallest car in America was the Chevy Aveo, and that's about it. Nothing smaller than that atm.

You're forgetting about the Smart Fortwo. It's 2" taller than the Aveo but smaller in width and length.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Or maybe because kei cars were made for a specific environment like Japan's extremely tight cities, and that they likely don't fit the standards of road safety here. It could be that.

Technically it could work well in large cities like NYC, LA, San Francisco, etc.

You're forgetting about the Smart Fortwo. It's 2" taller than the Aveo but smaller in width and length.

That's what google told me.

Copen is love Copen is life. There are Cuores as well. I've seen some Suzuki Alto(s).

But those boxy/recent ones are no where to be seen. I hope they bring the new Copen and that Honda, the S6 something :3

Copen is love Copen is life. There are Cuores as well. I've seen some Suzuki Alto(s).

But those boxy/recent ones are no where to be seen. I hope they bring the new Copen and that Honda, the S6 something :3

Ok, i heard the Honda S660 might come to the US, but i haven't heard any recent news. Seriously, that could be the nicest kei car if it came to america, the first legit kei car.

Technically it could work well in large cities like NYC, LA, San Francisco, etc.

I'm not so sure to be honest. Tokyo's roads are a lot more tight than NYC's. And it's not like you can (or should) regulate where people can drive because some people decide they need to be special and have tiny cars.

As for the sizing thing, the first thing that came to mind when you said "smallest car" is the Smart car. I looked up the dimensions and boom.

I'm not so sure to be honest. Tokyo's roads are a lot more tight than NYC's. And it's not like you can (or should) regulate where people can drive because some people decide they need to be special and have tiny cars.

As for the sizing thing, the first thing that came to mind when you said "smallest car" is the Smart car. I looked up the dimensions and boom.

Well, technically SF has some really heavy traffic, mostly because cars there are huge, which is odd, since they banned SUVs there since they were breaking the roads bc they were so heavy.

There is no point in bringing the tiny cars over here especially because they would be surrounded by huge car. Have you drive on a highway being sandwiched by two 16-wheelers?

I love Kei cars but there probably is no point when there is already infrastructure to support the current cars unlike in parts of Japan and Europe.

Actually, kei cars where made to avoid some circulation rules over at Japan, and taxes, apparently.

Well, technically SF has some really heavy traffic, mostly because cars there are huge, which is odd, since they banned SUVs there since they were breaking the roads bc they were so heavy.

Did they really ban them or just make them pay higher taxes?