Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Meanwhile we need a new clutch pedal assy for an 84 Firebird because GM decided in the 80's that bushings aren't necessary between metal parts. $250 online from some vendor and we have it next week. Hopefully it fits right, if not we'll make it work or as my boss likes to say from his days with Renault 'MR' meaning modification required.

Older stuff isn't bad to get. The quality of the parts is... questionable. 5.7 Tundra that needed a starter. Other guy did one today, you have to remove the exhaust manifold to access it. It started once... and never stopped. Legit wouldn't stop cranking until I cut the battery and it was smoking. Hope the smoking wasn't the harness. Won't know until tomorrow.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

Older stuff isn't bad to get. The quality of the parts is... questionable. 5.7 Tundra that needed a starter. Other guy did one today, you have to remove the exhaust manifold to access it. It started once... and never stopped. Legit wouldn't stop cranking until I cut the battery and it was smoking. Hope the smoking wasn't the harness. Won't know until tomorrow.

I've seen that before, the contacts welded themselves together in the starter solenoid, the return spring was defective/bad, or the arm that advances the bendix got jammed on the starter shaft. Either way, sucks ass. Whenever I can, I'll crank something a couple times before I reassemble when it's buried like that. Northstar starters in particular I'll pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine once or twice just to double check because it's a GM product. Our starter rebuilder is usually pretty reliable, we try to avoid mc parts store junk as much as possible. We have had a few bad alternators recently though, last one bit me but hell if I can recall what it was on now. Had a back rack on a Rubaru which was a fun re-do, yoke adjustment nut had a bad seal on it. Luckily the customer was very understanding and I personally apologized to her anyway because people like that personal touch sometimes. Gave her headlights a buff on the tail end of my lunch hour to make sure she was a happy customer.

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've seen that before, the contacts welded themselves together in the starter solenoid, the return spring was defective/bad, or the arm that advances the bendix got jammed on the starter shaft. Either way, sucks ass. Whenever I can, I'll crank something a couple times before I reassemble when it's buried like that. Northstar starters in particular I'll pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine once or twice just to double check because it's a GM product. Our starter rebuilder is usually pretty reliable, we try to avoid mc parts store junk as much as possible. We have had a few bad alternators recently though, last one bit me but hell if I can recall what it was on now. Had a back rack on a Rubaru which was a fun re-do, yoke adjustment nut had a bad seal on it. Luckily the customer was very understanding and I personally apologized to her anyway because people like that personal touch sometimes. Gave her headlights a buff on the tail end of my lunch hour to make sure she was a happy customer.

I don't mind Northstar starters. They are quite easy. Theres an old Swedish guy with a shop around here that rebuilds alternators and starters. Just hes usually booked up 3 months. He works on anything that has 4 wheels and a wire.

Steering racks are like 50/50 if they come back in a week. Man, its awful.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

14 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't mind Northstar starters. They are quite easy. Theres an old Swedish guy with a shop around here that rebuilds alternators and starters. Just hes usually booked up 3 months. He works on anything that has 4 wheels and a wire.

Steering racks are like 50/50 if they come back in a week. Man, its awful.

Agreed, Northstar are not bad once you know the trick with that one back corner bolt on the intake manifold. I know some people pull injectors on them to get the fuel rail and regulator/damper out of the way but I never have, just use a swivel socket and make that that last bolt so you can lift the manifold as you unthread it. We always try to sell some extra time to clean up the intake ports on those because they carbon up so badly from EGR, they run like new again once they're cleaned out.

Luckily we've had good luck for racks not coming back, I'm super picky about the air bleed procedure to make sure it's all out and has no shudder. Can't do anything about leaks but thankfully that Subbie was the first we've had for a re-leak in a long time.

I need to clear a rack tomorrow and get my other front brake hose done and see what's up with my L/R drum not advancing it's adjuster like the right side. Probably just stuck because old.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah, I'd want to ditch it too lol.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Those things burn as much oil as they do gas, Hyundai/Kia have a huge problem and a huge backlog of them sitting waiting for engine replacements. It'll be stuck at the dealer for well over a month waiting in line for an engine. She's better off trading it for something else. They're shit engines in decent cars.

oh. wish I had known this to tell her lol 

Oh well. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

After a long winter my baby is finally all cleaned up and standing on summer wheels again 😉 20210824_173629.thumb.jpg.9d3563c68ee712a32cf2ce10d2dbc8d2.jpg

(Now if there wouldn't be an upcoming ~2000€ repair i'd be happy... But cars be cars i guess...)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

(Now if there wouldn't be an upcoming ~2000€ repair i'd be happy... But cars be cars i guess...)

DSG clutches?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

DSG clutches?

No, the control unit for the ACC system is dead, so all the assistants are offline...

That damn CU alone costs 1700€ and its not something you can repair yourself. First off i cannot find the part online and then there is still the stupid firmware lock on these things so only official Audi partners can install and program it. So including labour etc. I'll be looking at >2000€ for that thing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

No, the control unit for the ACC system is dead, so all the assistants are offline...

That damn CU alone costs 1700€ and its not something you can repair yourself. First off i cannot find the part online and then there is still the stupid firmware lock on these things so only official Audi partners can install and program it. So including labour etc. I'll be looking at >2000€ for that thing.

Ouch, think we've had one or two like that.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 4/4/2022 at 6:08 AM, Beyond_The_Berm said:

Took this out for the first spring drive.  Need to get the the bumper fit dialed but itll do for what the cars for.  Roads are still cold so 3rd gear was quite a blast lol.

S2? Turbo? Or 944 spec? 

Looks like quite a few mods done - Nice to see another 944 being driven. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Argh.. i am going semi back to a petrol car again, i have had enough, we have a 2019 Polo GTI 6MT and a 2021 Tesla LR Model 3 (with tow package+white interior+boost) i HATE that car... i have been in service since a year ago i got it.

always something wrong.

right now i have waited 6 months for spareparts..

have a broken fan for battery heater, so when charging at a 50kwh+ charger or in cold weather the car makes a really loud fan noise, and sound like the fan is loose, and in cold weather the instability is so rough that my steering wheel feels like a vibration sander

2 new front lights (filled with water, so bad people give me highbeams when driving)

2 new realights

automatic rear tailgate (it is 5-10 pushes before it is fully opened)

New right side camera (no adaptive cruise been broken since new)

fix for rear window heat, i don´t know if i need a new window never worked, and 10 other small things..

and have had like 2-3 of these types of service but the 6 months wait for spareparts this time, is just to much.

Just put in an order to be "less" green today, a new BMW 545e, it is a company car, and the lease company gave me permission to exchange before time, unfortunately i could not get it with an estate shape, and trunk is HORRENDOUS, so wife is going to hate me, but it HAS to be either Plug-in or Electric with taxation rules, and loved my 320d in my previous job, but that was years ago. 

7 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

Argh.. i am going semi back to a petrol car again, i have had enough, we have a 2019 Polo GTI 6MT and a 2021 Tesla LR Model 3 (with tow package+white interior+boost) i HATE that car... i have been in service since a year ago i got it.

always something wrong.

right now i have waited 6 months for spareparts..

have a broken fan for battery heater, so when charging at a 50kwh+ charger or in cold weather the car makes a really loud fan noise, and sound like the fan is loose, and in cold weather the instability is so rough that my steering wheel feels like a vibration sander

2 new front lights (filled with water, so bad people give me highbeams when driving)

2 new realights

automatic rear tailgate (it is 5-10 pushes before it is fully opened)

New right side camera (no adaptive cruise been broken since new)

fix for rear window heat, i don´t know if i need a new window never worked, and 10 other small things..

and have had like 2-3 of these types of service but the 6 months wait for spareparts this time, is just to much.

Just put in an order to be "less" green today, a new BMW 545e, it is a company car, and the lease company gave me permission to exchange before time, unfortunately i could not get it with an estate shape, and trunk is HORRENDOUS, so wife is going to hate me, but it HAS to be either Plug-in or Electric with taxation rules, and loved my 320d in my previous job, but that was years ago. 

American here - Is it a requirement to have a full EV or is a plug-in hybrid acceptable? I'm not sure what offerings are available in your area or what your commute looks like, but I know a lot of people like the ID.4.

I'm planning to keep my 6MT TDI Golf until I die, but if I was forced to have something electric in the fleet, it'd probably be a BMW i3 or a VW ID4, until the "Vizzion" concept drops, I'm a wagon man at heart despite owning two hatchbacks. 

VW Presents Its First Electric Station Wagon, the ID. Space Vizzion

12 hours ago, Colty said:

American here - Is it a requirement to have a full EV or is a plug-in hybrid acceptable? I'm not sure what offerings are available in your area or what your commute looks like, but I know a lot of people like the ID.4.

I'm planning to keep my 6MT TDI Golf until I die, but if I was forced to have something electric in the fleet, it'd probably be a BMW i3 or a VW ID4, until the "Vizzion" concept drops, I'm a wagon man at heart despite owning two hatchbacks. 

VW Presents Its First Electric Station Wagon, the ID. Space Vizzion

The quality of the VW offerings have been abysmal, because of to early launch, and charge possibilities are not as great as Tesla´s.

The way it is now in Denmark is that Electrics are taxfree, and hybrids are "close"... full taxation is 150% on top of the price + 25% sales tax, so it is not a small thing... 

so a 545E is the same price as a decent 320i. 

i looking a bit at the new A6 estate full electric, or maybe a 700km electric range car when they become more normal..

i also much rather want a Q4 e-Tron or a Skoda Enyaq than the Id4 even if they are the same platform.

But i was looking at

A6 TFSE Estate

330E Estate

Mercedes E Estate

V60/V90 T8 Inscription Ultimate..

i love estates, but drove the 545E and the 6 cylinder engine is so much better than the Mercedes / Audi 4 cylinder.. i was closer to the V60/V90, wit the T8 setup

On 12/22/2014 at 1:36 AM, techswede said:

RevoltTrain - Bought a Saab for some reason

i too have made poor life choices

like thinking a dead branded european car is good for the aussie outback (kinda is tbh)

247149440_1276411756154936_3028248537821836857_n.jpg

37 minutes ago, volatus146 said:

i too have made poor life choices

like thinking a dead branded european car is good for the aussie outback (kinda is tbh)

247149440_1276411756154936_3028248537821836857_n.jpg

Love your plate number there lol.

Saab's used to be much better but also at the same time much worse. Saab's GM era is both better and worse because better you get some standard GM parts which are easier to source but worse because Saab still did things Saab ways so there's a lot of Saab only parts but it's all bungled together with GM engineering that was re-engineered by Saab to meet their standards. So. Many. Things. Leak. On those cars under the hood. Hoses and lines all over the place under them up front for trans, power steering, engine oil cooling and they all start to leak around the same age you may as well just replace them all at once because 1. telling which is leaking is almost impossible because one leaks onto them all and 2. they're all intertwined you probably need to take them all off to replace just the one set anyway. I mean at least the engine isn't in backwards with the belt at the back and trans at the front so there's that.

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Love your plate number there lol.

Saab's used to be much better but also at the same time much worse. Saab's GM era is both better and worse because better you get some standard GM parts which are easier to source but worse because Saab still did things Saab ways so there's a lot of Saab only parts but it's all bungled together with GM engineering that was re-engineered by Saab to meet their standards. So. Many. Things. Leak. On those cars under the hood. Hoses and lines all over the place under them up front for trans, power steering, engine oil cooling and they all start to leak around the same age you may as well just replace them all at once because 1. telling which is leaking is almost impossible because one leaks onto them all and 2. they're all intertwined you probably need to take them all off to replace just the one set anyway. I mean at least the engine isn't in backwards with the belt at the back and trans at the front so there's that.

ahhhhh i see you are also a man of culture who realises they arent random numbers...

ive honestly not found many issues in terms of parts, apart from replacement body panels.

i get stuff locally, or through Rock Auto in the US. everything thats leaking on my car right now is pretty standard for any car thats 14 years old now... Rock Auto to the rescue on that lol. just some cheap gaskets that need to be replaced here n there. Nothing overly complicated to replace thankfully.

one of THESE however... a guy here in Aus had his writtten off by the insurer because they couldnt source a rear window. thats it. its not TECHNICALLY a saab, or a GM car.

SAAB9-5-4199_10.jpg

Actually I just saw PAW and thought it was cute, don't know anything beyond that but now I'm concerned LOL!

I don't think we got that Saab stateside. We did get a Saabaru though! And a weird Chevy/Saab SUV that was just different looking parts tacked on a late model Buick Rainier mostly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

I guess it was a matter of time before this happened because diesel cars are so uncommon here outside of large pickup trucks, I was filling my car up with fuel minding my own business today when all of a sudden some guy starts yelling at me saying im putting diesel in my car. 

I was just looked over and nodded my head yes and kept pumping fuel. the dude just said "Ohhh" lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I guess it was a matter of time before this happened because diesel cars are so uncommon here outside of large pickup trucks, I was filling my car up with fuel minding my own business today when all of a sudden some guy starts yelling at me saying im putting diesel in my car. 

I was just looked over and nodded my head yes and kept pumping fuel. the dude just said "Ohhh" lol

Should have yelled back 'oh god no not again!' then kept pumping.

Couple years ago someone flagged me down as I walked away from my Mazda to tell me I'd left the lights on. I know how long they take to time out, waited a second, turned and said 'Are you sure?', they turned and looked and they were off, turned back and looked me me VERY confused.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, Bitter said:

Should have yelled back 'oh god no not again!' then kept pumping.

Couple years ago someone flagged me down as I walked away from my Mazda to tell me I'd left the lights on. I know how long they take to time out, waited a second, turned and said 'Are you sure?', they turned and looked and they were off, turned back and looked me me VERY confused.

Lol I wish I had said that.

22 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Go juice is go juice"

it still burns

Question -- will a skyactiv-X motor kinda work if you put diesel in it, since the CR(16.3:1) is so high? or even if you ran like a diesel/gas mixture

I mean the VAG 3.0TDI is only 17.0:1. It's almost the same lol

Spoiler

On 4/25/2022 at 4:57 AM, Bitter said:

Actually I just saw PAW and thought it was cute, don't know anything beyond that but now I'm concerned LOL!

I don't think we got that Saab stateside. We did get a Saabaru though! And a weird Chevy/Saab SUV that was just different looking parts tacked on a late model Buick Rainier mostly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

Its a reference to a pop culture adult website… but yes theyre fundraiser custom plates and i have rescue animals at home lol

you did have an NG 9-5 but theres so few globally that its non existant. Only sold for a year and a bit.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:21 PM, volatus146 said:

ahhhhh i see you are also a man of culture who realises they arent random numbers...

ive honestly not found many issues in terms of parts, apart from replacement body panels.

i get stuff locally, or through Rock Auto in the US. everything thats leaking on my car right now is pretty standard for any car thats 14 years old now... Rock Auto to the rescue on that lol. just some cheap gaskets that need to be replaced here n there. Nothing overly complicated to replace thankfully.

one of THESE however... a guy here in Aus had his writtten off by the insurer because they couldnt source a rear window. thats it. its not TECHNICALLY a saab, or a GM car.

i so want a NG 9-5 for some dumb reason, but the one i want is literally unobtanium .... 9-5 sportswagon with the 2.8T engine ... nor could i afford it if i found one for sale

On 4/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, Bitter said:

9-2x, 9-3. 9-4x, 9-5, and 9-7x should all have been available in the usa. Europe didnt get the 9-4x and 9-7x (if it did then no one bought them), not fully sure about the 9-2x

9-6x was a concept of another saabaru (based on the tribeca) that never made it to production 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Restored the headlights on the Gf's lifted beetle. Driver side came out so good you can see my reflection in the morning sunlight 

20220425_183447.jpg20220425_185249.jpg20220425_185556.jpg20220426_073815.jpg20220426_073842.jpg20220426_073853.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i so want a NG 9-5 for some dumb reason, but the one i want is literally unobtanium .... 9-5 sportswagon with the 2.8T engine ... nor could i afford it if i found one for sale

9-2x, 9-3. 9-4x, 9-5, and 9-7x should all have been available in the usa. Europe didnt get the 9-4x and 9-7x (if it did then no one bought them), not fully sure about the 9-2x

9-6x was a concept of another saabaru (based on the tribeca) that never made it to production 

heres literally the only 9-5NG for sale in Australia. well overpriced.

not quite sure how two bumpers and a side skirt cost him $20k but there ya go lol

the Vector is the mid-spec car, Hirsch is a performance tuner that worked alongside saab

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-saab-9-5-vector-auto-my11/SSE-AD-12603372/?Cr=0