Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Tried getting the CB450 started today to no luck. Plumed up some basic fuelstuffs but no fire. I know there is spark, compression is good for sure so i dont know why its not going. Might be my kicking technique, but im following the instructions on how to kick an XR500RE to life ive found :/

Gona check if the plug is getting gas on it tomorrow, not sure if i want it to be or not tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So I had a fun last night, radiator cap got some gunk caught in it somehow and didn't seal, engine puked out almost a gallon of coolant from the radiator through the reservoir and into the engine bay. I spent the next two hours in a store parking lot bleeding air out and slowly putting coolant in because this car has an offset radiator neck and the upper hose is nearly the same height as the neck, both things which make purging air a royal pain in the ass.

My GF got me a foam cannon for my birthday, I love it.

20201114_133752.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

18 hours ago, GAME 55 said:

I heard that the 911 Carrera is reliable, that's where the $100K price came from.

I posted that ^^^^ because I wanted to see if someone could help me and offer me more options, maybe even cheaper options.

F type

M4

Rs5

ISF

Type R

GTR

etc

Plenty of choice out there, just gotta find something you like and then browse owners forums about them

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

F type

M4

Rs5

ISF

Type R

GTR

etc

Plenty of choice out there, just gotta find something you like and then browse owners forums about them

Thank you so much!

🤔🤔🤔🤔 Got a feeling this ain't right

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔 Got a feeling this ain't right.

Find the book for what you bikes spec should be.  Most motorcycle valves should have a fair amount of clearance like that when cold.

Yeah, air cooled engines run more cold lash than water cooled engines due to the wider operating temps. That does seem a little excessive but not insane-o-bad.

Anyone want to talk me out of buying a 2011+ VW Touraeg TDI around 100k miles or so?

Or are they good cars? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

25 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Anyone want to talk me out of buying a 2011+ VW Touraeg TDI around 100k miles or so?

Or are they good cars? 

How well do you want to get to know the service advisor at your local VW dealer?

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How well do you want to get to know the service advisor at your local VW dealer?

I think I’d be fine with a $1500 bill every 50k miles is about my limit me thinks 

I already have vcds. And I can DIY most things pretty comfortably 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think I’d be fine with a $1500 bill every 50k miles is about my limit me thinks 

I already have vcds. And I can DIY most things pretty comfortably 

I don't recall their transmissions being super robust and was it the TDI Touraeg that has the timing chain problems or was that the gas one? I know either model is notorious for being plagued by intermittent electrical faults. Almost as bad as Chryslers are with their TIPM.

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I don't recall their transmissions being super robust and was it the TDI Touraeg that has the timing chain problems or was that the gas one? I know either model is notorious for being plagued by intermittent electrical faults. Almost as bad as Chryslers are with their TIPM.

The pre-2011 ones (different generation) seem to have a lot more issues than the ones after that 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The pre-2011 ones (different generation) seem to have a lot more issues than the ones after that 

Then I must only be familiar with the older ones. Mostly see the Porsche versions of the Twerkage.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Then I must only be familiar with the older ones. Mostly see the Porsche versions of the Twerkage.

Yeah 2010 and prior was when they offered the V10 TDI model 

that’s basically how u know what the “problem” generation is xD 

I mean the V10 TDI is cool and all but soooo many issues lol

i think a 2011+ V6 TDI would serve me well. More space for convenience for me and it can tow a bit too  (Miata track days w/o worry of breaking car and having pay for a tow for hundreds of miles maybe? Lol) 

also would be nice to have a daily driver with air conditioning again 

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

also would be nice to have a daily driver with air conditioning again 

Air conditioning is for the weak and terry.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Air conditioning is for the weak and terry.

I’d agree with you but man it really sucks not having it and showing up to work sweaty in Louisiana. 

that said the early morning usually isn’t that bad. Just for a couple months it is

afternoon I don’t really care I can go home and shower lol

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’d agree with you but man it really sucks not having it and showing up to work sweaty in Louisiana. 

that said the early morning usually isn’t that bad. Just for a couple months it is

afternoon I don’t really care I can go home and shower lol

To be fair, I agree. 😂 I just want to be snarky.

27 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

To be fair, I agree. 😂 I just want to be snarky.

Haha. Can’t lie the terry thing was pretty funny 

anyone here want a 2004 civic, stick shift that has issues and broken A/C? Lol. I don’t even know if I can sell it here lol 

Spoiler

So you want a TDI VW Touareg as your reliable tow vehicle? Surely you see the flaw in the above statement? There's a lot more reliable less expensive tow vehicles that can double as daily driver.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So you want a TDI VW Touareg as your reliable tow vehicle? Surely you see the flaw in the above statement? There's a lot more reliable less expensive tow vehicles that can double as daily driver.

No but they also aren’t as nice and don’t get 30 mpg on the highway? 

idk I just like the last of the touraeg and vw’s last TDI motors seem pretty reliable tbh 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Yeah, air cooled engines run more cold lash than water cooled engines due to the wider operating temps. That does seem a little excessive but not insane-o-bad.

11 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Find the book for what you bikes spec should be.  Most motorcycle valves should have a fair amount of clearance like that when cold.

0.1mm intake valves and 0.125mm exhaust valves is the spec as far as i am aware(but i have not been able to secure a copy of the manual from anywhere :( ), in the video thats something like 2mm on the right side exhaust valve. Left side was ~0.3mm so also way out. Intake valves were both perfect.

The decompression mechanism(see the cable along the bottom) was very messed up in its adjustment and the lobe on the end was halfway out of its place, making the slack you see here. Still think there might be something up with that though, its not really working as i expect it would. I thought it would be lifting the valve while activated, not just making the rocker slack.

Builds:

Spoiler

Finally found some louvers for my 900i

Someone had painted them white so I painted them black again and I'm very happy with the results. 

20201111_221325.thumb.jpg.2edcd0921eb3e2d63a7d29f6f6399a97.jpg

20201115_065904.thumb.jpg.fd6d7a6ebbe23504b675b4716fab6d3b.jpg

Car is dirty but the weather is so bad right now if I wash it will look the same tomorrow. 

20201115_160718.thumb.jpg.8e2ea91034492a5d07360eabfc1899ed.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed