Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Reviews without pics? Mehhh

:P

i have one and only one atm. iits night time right now so cant get any more atm

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

i have one and only one atm. iits night time right now so cant get any more atm

No problem mate :P

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

So, here's my review:

Make/Model: 2002 Mazda Protege ES

Exterior: 

not much aftermarket, other than some 5000K lights.

2002_mazda_protege_lx_west_palm_beach_fl

Interior:

2002-mazda-protege5_mapr5int025.jpg

At night, it looks super great inside with red illumination.

Powertrain: 2.0L FS-DE I4 engine sourced by Ford, which also powers the Ford Probe, first gen. Only mod we did was add a cold air intake by K&N, which is street legal and makes 5 extra HP. Linked to a 5 speed stick with overdrive.

Handling and ride: It handles actually like a rabbit. It's pretty nippy, and the steering isn't numb at all, you can feel it, even with the hydraulic power steering. You can feel bumps quite a bit, but mind you, this car has gone 240K and has most of the original parts including suspension, clutch, and tranny. Still feels pretty exciting.

Pros:

4 wheel discs, so good stopping power. (but we stopped using it since safety is an issue because the rear brakes are making harsh noises.)

Stock speakers provide some pretty rich bass

5 speed manual is a lot sportier than the automatic

16 inch 5 spoke alloys.

Cruise control, with buttons, not a stick.

Nice color

Fog lamps

This bitch can damn pull. It can really get to 80 in less than 10 seconds on the freeway from 0.

Bodystyle is actually great

Cons:

Expected more from top of the line ES model

Noisy (but that's mainly due to a no name water pump making squealing noises)

Suspension is starting to take a toll on our tires (all 4 tires replaced had uneven wear)

Rear brakes suck, (but that's human error of not resurfacing rotors after replacing brakes)

Sometimes the clutch can slip at points

Sometimes the tranny can jolt the car in first in a parking lot.

Radio reception SUCKS on this car. Even retracted fully, it's still horrible.

Closing Thoughts:

The car is fun to drive, it's plenty sporty, and also won't dent your wallet. There are 2 bodystyles, the compact sedan and the wagon.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Ford Fiesta ST

bguytpvucbpeatha44b5.jpg
p12ved4u8hcrbks2ajp.jpg

Exterior

Done of bit of styling mods. But love the look. Just remind me of a hooligan with backwards cap.

Interior
Lovely Leather and Cloth bucket seats. Really enjoyed the inside. 

Powertrain
2.0L Duratec FWD 5 Speed Gearbox

Stock (150BHP) after mods 210BHP. Had done a lot to this engine

Ride and Handling
Did suspension and Strut bars, car handled like a dream, after the big brake Kit was really able to throw it around the track. The pics is from a Subaru street hillclimb course. Beat quite a few of the big STI's up the hill. 

Closing thoughts
Really wish I didn't end up selling it, but was such a amazing little car, and really recommend one to youngsters whoa re looking for something they can still take on the track (Even in stock) and just have a good simple time.  

Pros
Fun

Comfortable

For a hot hatch really Practical, never had space issues. 

Stans out

Cons
Gas mileage wasn't ideal but was better than friends Hot Hatches

Some parts very expensive

2 Doors so people getting into the back complain. more than enough space though.  

skf57eecyru5qxe5xgit.jpg

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

No activity for 3 hours. Here's something.

Page 279:

dsc_0119.jpg

In case you didn't get it, this car has 279HP, hence page 279.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

No activity for 3 hours. Here's something.

Page 279:

*Snip*

In case you didn't get it, this car has 279HP, hence page 279.

I had the chance to drive a Speed6 when they first came out. It was a super fun sedan. I wasn't in the market for a $30k car at the time but if I was it would have been hard to walk away from it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I had the chance to drive a Speed6 when they first came out. It was a super fun sedan. I wasn't in the market for a $30k car at the time but if I was it would have been hard to walk away from it.

Dude, that's what  Iwanna drive soon. Good thing theyre only like 10K now, so they're more affordable. Finding one on craigslist is gonna be next to impossible.

EDIT: Found 3 today. :/

Dude, that's what  Iwanna drive soon. Good thing theyre only like 10K now, so they're more affordable. Finding one on craigslist is gonna be next to impossible.

Rather have a Legacy GT cause it's a real AWD car, unlike the MS6.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Never was a big fan of the Legacy. Besides, i'm loyal to Mazda, i mean, we already have 2 already, plan to trade one for a CX-3. If I wanted to, I would want to convert an MS6 to RWD.

Never was a big fan of the Legacy. Besides, i'm loyal to Mazda, i mean, we already have 2 already, plan to trade one for a CX-3. If I wanted to, I would want to convert an MS6 to RWD.

Wouldn't be worth it IMO, be happy with the FWD-ness of it I guess...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

EDIT: Found 3 today. :/

Yeah I drove one only a couple of months after they hit dealers so new was about the only option at the time.

They are cool cars for sure. I hope you can nab one.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Wouldn't be worth it IMO, be happy with the FWD-ness of it I guess...

But when it is needed, it does switch to 4WD mode, like in the snow. Also, that 4WD can also work on the track as well.

But when it is needed, it does switch to 4WD mode, like in the snow. Also, that 4WD can also work on the track as well.

Yeah, but it's predominantly FWD based, unlike the Legacy. 

"Real" AWD? What's that? I'm pretty sure the MS6 is AWD... AWD doesnt have to be 50/50, if that's what you mean (since the Speed6 is front wheel biased). 4wd is what it 50/50. 

Most newer cars that send power to both the front and rear wheels are AWD, not 4WD

I may be wrong, but that's what I thought. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

It's not that simple at all.

FWD hate is unwarranted in general.

Edit: Did not know you were talking about an AWD car....

but still....

System: Thinkpad T460

Yeah, but it's predominantly FWD based, unlike the Legacy. 

But the MS6 is bigger, and I just like bigger cars. And plus, I think it looks more aerodynamic than the Legacy.

"Real" AWD? What's that? I'm pretty sure the MS6 is AWD... AWD doesnt have to be 50/50, if that's what you mean (since the Speed6 is front wheel biased). 4wd is what it 50/50. 

Most newer cars that send power to both the front and rear wheels are AWD, not 4WD

I may be wrong, but that's what I thought. 

'Real' as in 50:50 torque split between the front and rear axles.

But the MS6 is bigger, and I just like bigger cars. And plus, I think it looks more aerodynamic than the Legacy.

IMO Legacy looks so much better.

3899128106_ba79184c80.jpg

I may be biased, but I doubt it...

System: Thinkpad T460

IMO Legacy looks so much better.

I may be biased, but I doubt it...

Don't tell me this doesn't look good.

8240383124_7a8293fe0b_b.jpg

Really depends which gen Legacy you're talking about as for size; as the 5th gen is pretty bigger than the 4th gen. For the looks, it depends which front it has, cause some are nice and some aren't.

category4471_header.jpg

18408-2007-Subaru-Legacy.jpg