China to look into potential price fixing from major NAND suppliers

Tabs

It looks like China's economic regulator, the National Development and Reform Commission, is taking a serious look at the pricing situation of NAND currently in the market, to find out if there has been any price fixing taking place to artificially inflate NAND prices. Suppliers specifically named are the Big 3 - Intel/Micron, Samsung, and SK Hynix, but it's reasonable to believe that the other suppliers are likely to be put under scrutiny as well if there's any evidence found to back this up.

China’s economic regulator is paying close attention to a recent surge in the price of mobile phone storage chips and could look into possible price fixing by the firms that make them, a senior official told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

The newspaper, citing an official with the National Development and Reform Commission’s Pricing Supervision Department, said the NDRC was alerted to the situation after a sharp rise in the price of chips over the last 18 months.

Specifically quoted is the director of the bureau in charge, Xu Xinyu,

“We have noticed the price surge and will pay more attention to future problems that may be caused by ‘price fixing’ in the sector,”

Additionally, it looks like the Mobile China Alliance might be involved in spearheading the start of this investigation - they are likely to be some of the hardest hit if this is true, since none of China's own NAND manufacturers are at anywhere close to the volume of the biggest 3 NAND manufacturers, and their process technologies are currently inferior - there are no Chinese manufacturers of stacked "3D" NAND, only of traditional planar memory. The first known manufacturer in China that will begin sampling "3D" NAND is Yangtze River Memory Storage, a subsidiary of Tsinghua Unigroup, and this will be into the first half of 2018 at the earliest.

The NDRC has spoken to Samsung, the China Daily reported, citing Wang Yanhui, the secretary-general of the Mobile China Alliance, who the paper said had knowledge of the matter. The paper did not provide further details.

Wang said it was too early to predict what further measures could be taken but that the government could look at penalties issued by other countries if makers were found to be engaging in such any price fixing.

In my opinion, this kind of investigation is way overdue. The price of NAND in the market in the last 18 months to 2 years has been shocking. This will inevitably affect DRAM as well since manufacturers often shift capacity out of making DRAM and into making NAND as supply/demand shifted, leading to a shortage of DRAM and a worsening of prices for the consumer. This shift in price has been despite multiple expansions of production capacity from both Samsung and Intel/Micron.

Also, in checking for duplicates for this news item, it seems our very own @Squilliam was looking for comments about this very topic just last week. Seems he might have been right on the money.

Sources:

Originally from China News: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201712/27/WS5a42db7ca31008cf16da39a2.html

Western dissemination via Reuters - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-chips/china-regulator-flags-greater-scrutiny-on-chips-after-price-surge-idUSKBN1EL017

Even if price fixing was confirmed to be taking place, what exactly could China do about it? Practically speaking, it's not as though China (or anyone else for that matter) can shop elsewhere for DRAM.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Is price fixing considered illegal?

Yes.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

Other countries also have similar laws on the matter.

For example, right now in Canada, Loblaw is being targeted by 2 class action lawsuit, for price fixing, on bread.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/bread-price-fixing-dont-blindly-accept-loblaw-gift-card-law-firms-warn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Very. For example, financial bodies in the UK - banks and organisations regulated under the PRU, FCA etc, consider it tantamount to fraud. If companies have shared sensitive information with each other in order to make all of them benefit, it's anti-competitive. Both of these lead to staggeringly high fines and awkward regulatory investigations. 

21 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Even if price fixing was confirmed to be taking place, what exactly could China do about it? Practically speaking, it's not as though China (or anyone else for that matter) can shop elsewhere for DRAM.

If price fixing is confirmed, it means we've all had to pay higher prices not due to lack of supply or actual market burden, but because it fit the whims of the leadership of these companies. China would set the example if they find this kind of collusion to have been occurring, and other financial regulators would have no choice but to start their own investigations.

5 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Very. For example, financial bodies in the UK - banks and organisations regulated under the PRU, FCA etc, consider it tantamount to fraud. If companies have shared sensitive information with each other in order to make all of them benefit, it's anti-competitive. Both of these lead to staggeringly high fines and awkward regulatory investigations. 

If price fixing is confirmed, it means we've all had to pay higher prices not due to lack of supply or actual market burden, but because it fit the whims of the leadership of these companies. China would set the example if they find this kind of collusion to have been occurring, and other financial regulators would have no choice but to start their own investigations.

Considering China has very limited DRAM manufacturing capabilities itself, what would occur if the prosecuted companies threaten to stop selling to China? Obviously, China makes a lot of phones, so I'd imagine that would be a sizeable impact.

My eyes see the past…

17 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering China has very limited DRAM manufacturing capabilities itself, what would occur if the prosecuted companies threaten to stop selling to China? Obviously, China makes a lot of phones, so I'd imagine that would be a sizeable impact.

That isn't really the point since China itself doesn't pay these companies for their goods, it's their myriad customers (the Apples of the world) that do. China has the power to initially levy heavy fines on these companies, along with forcing them to submit to strict auditing requirements - for a start.

Price fixing is a profit-driven enterprise; companies do it to make more money illegally. The best way to offset this - and to punitively damage the companies so they don't think of doing it again - is through their wallets. China has a massive amount of clout to be able to do this, not least of all because the majority of these companies products end up being assembled into devices made in China.

Don't underestimate how quickly China can adapt to a shifting market. Their NAND and DRAM production is low right now because the market is saturated by these big players, but that could easily change on the outcome of this investigation.

Also: The outcome of this investigation may force other regulators in other countries to do their own digging. Global companies beget global scrutiny, so this is likely to have worldwide implications if the allegations turn out to be true.

So assuming the NAND makers ARE found guilty of price fixing ... how long until prices flash-cut back down to something like this?

5a45a5147606b_2016-10-06-001-Newegg-32GBDDR4SO-DIMM127.jpg.f0033e03eecc9e2997e7a1c33675f8f1.jpg

Could it possibly happen within a few days or weeks of the investigation's finding?  

Even better, I'd love for anyone who bought at a higher-per-GB cost than the screenshot, since then, to either get a refund to what the price SHOULD have been, or a free upgrade to higher capacity / faster RAM.  For example, say you bought 16GB (2x8) of DDR4-2666 for $200.  You'd either get refunded something like $130, or, get a free 32GB (2x16) DDR4-4266 kit shipped to you.

(And if you had already maxed out for that platform - for example 128GB DDR4 on HEDT, they'd send you like 512GB DDR4 Registered ECC along with a compatible motherboard & CPU. :P Okay that last one's a bit of a dream xD)

22 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

So assuming the NAND makers ARE found guilty of price fixing ... how long until prices flash-cut back down to something like this?

Could it possibly happen within a few days or weeks of the investigation's finding?  

Even better, I'd love for anyone who bought at a higher-per-GB cost than the screenshot, since then, to either get a refund to what the price SHOULD have been, or a free upgrade to higher capacity / faster RAM.  For example, say you bought 16GB (2x8) of DDR4-2666 for $200.  You'd either get refunded something like $130, or, get a free 32GB (2x16) DDR4-4266 kit shipped to you.

(And if you had already maxed out for that platform - for example 128GB DDR4 on HEDT, they'd send you like 512GB DDR4 Registered ECC along with a compatible motherboard & CPU. :P Okay that last one's a bit of a dream xD)

It would take a long time for any pricing to change, because it would need to be determined exactly how much of the increase in price is due to the fixing versus natural rise from inflation, market pressures, etc.

Individual markets may have been fixed differently.

This is an incredibly messy business to untangle if it turns out that way.

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

Yes. But this is China we're talking about: If this blows up and parties are punished my assumption would be that the State was just pissed they weren't the ones doing the fixing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Its not just china thats going to br up in arms if china does prove it.

all the big countries arent going to sit tight either because they are also effected.

A domino effect if you will.

Hope something is done about this. The price of 8GBs of RAM is ridiculous. I'm wanting to upgrade to 16GBs but the price is stupidly high.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I honestly hope they find that they are all in on it, everyone of them gets sued out of oblivion by the entire world and we can have 16GB kits of DRAM for <€100 again... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, sof006 said:

Hope something is done about this. The price of 8GBs of RAM is ridiculous. I'm wanting to upgrade to 16GBs but the price is stupidly high.

Stupidly high you say?

Lemmy tell you my story then....

I dreamed for a new gaming system upgrade(after 7yrs of using AMD Phenom II)...

Choose i5 8400 as the best budget option...

Turns out a 2x8gb kit costs me more than the CPU and the Full ATX RGB motherboard.

3 minutes ago, aliasdred said:

Stupidly high you say?

Turns out a 2x8gb kit costs me more than the CPU and the Full ATX RGB motherboard.

Exactly. I bought my Ryzen 1700X for £250 and my RAM was almost the same price. I remember this time say 3/4 years ago the price would have been roughly £80.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

That thread is about DRAM, not NAND flash.

The two are linked however, DRAM manufacturing is very similar in nature to NAND manufacturing, except creation of NAND generates more profit. Manufacturers have been shifting production from DRAM and into NAND, causing issues with DRAM supply, and if price fixing is confirmed, it's lead to no better pricing for consumers for NAND either. This will have knock-on effects for the entire storage market if the investigation turns anything up.

10 minutes ago, Tabs said:

The two are linked however, DRAM manufacturing is very similar in nature to NAND manufacturing, except creation of NAND generates more profit. Manufacturers have been shifting production from DRAM and into NAND, causing issues with DRAM supply, and if price fixing is confirmed, it's lead to no better pricing for consumers for NAND either. This will have knock-on effects for the entire storage market if the investigation turns anything up.

That isn't really true. If anything, they're actually switching production the other way, from NAND to DRAM.

I just look forward to see DRAM and NAND prices cut on half. Getting a 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 is quite expensive, also still far off until 1TB SSD can be more affordable, like Samsung ones. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

Manufacturers have been shifting production from DRAM and into NAND, causing issues with DRAM supply

Ah yes, that's why the prices for SSDs has more or less doubled as well :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

15 hours ago, Tabs said:

It looks like China's economic regulator, the National Development and Reform Commission, is taking a serious look at the pricing situation of NAND currently in the market, to find out if there has been any price fixing taking place to artificially inflate NAND prices. Suppliers specifically named are the Big 3 - Intel/Micron, Samsung, and SK Hynix, but it's reasonable to believe that the other suppliers are likely to be put under scrutiny as well if there's any evidence found to back this up.

Specifically quoted is the director of the bureau in charge, Xu Xinyu,

Additionally, it looks like the Mobile China Alliance might be involved in spearheading the start of this investigation - they are likely to be some of the hardest hit if this is true, since none of China's own NAND manufacturers are at anywhere close to the volume of the biggest 3 NAND manufacturers, and their process technologies are currently inferior - there are no Chinese manufacturers of stacked "3D" NAND, only of traditional planar memory. The first known manufacturer in China that will begin sampling "3D" NAND is Yangtze River Memory Storage, a subsidiary of Tsinghua Unigroup, and this will be into the first half of 2018 at the earliest.

In my opinion, this kind of investigation is way overdue. The price of NAND in the market in the last 18 months to 2 years has been shocking. This will inevitably affect DRAM as well since manufacturers often shift capacity out of making DRAM and into making NAND as supply/demand shifted, leading to a shortage of DRAM and a worsening of prices for the consumer. This shift in price has been despite multiple expansions of production capacity from both Samsung and Intel/Micron.

Also, in checking for duplicates for this news item, it seems our very own @Squilliam was looking for comments about this very topic just last week. Seems he might have been right on the money.

Sources:

Originally from China News: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201712/27/WS5a42db7ca31008cf16da39a2.html

Western dissemination via Reuters - https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-chips/china-regulator-flags-greater-scrutiny-on-chips-after-price-surge-idUSKBN1EL017

That's crazy! 

Called it? 

6 hours ago, aliasdred said:

Stupidly high you say?

Similar story here.

Though earlier this year I did bite the bullet, and bought 16GB of ram... It was stupidly expensive, but its not like you can find 16GB for $120 these days. At the time all I could think was "I spent too much on this stuff". But today, it be an absolute steal.

48 minutes ago, Sypran said:

Similar story here.

Though earlier this year I did bite the bullet, and bought 16GB of ram... It was stupidly expensive, but its not like you can find 16GB for $120 these days. At the time all I could think was "I spent too much on this stuff". But today, it be an absolute steal.

Know what, I'm semi-glad to be on DDR3 as the prices aren't so stupidly high. 16 GB for about $130, though that is still much higher than I would pay.

My eyes see the past…

15 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes. But this is China we're talking about: If this blows up and parties are punished my assumption would be that the State was just pissed they weren't the ones doing the fixing.

Yup! I wonder what if any actions China would take if there was price fixing.

Although I bet they'd only be taking action if it was negatively affecting them; as opposed to the rest of the world.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

25 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Yup! I wonder what if any actions China would take if there was price fixing.

Although I bet they'd only be taking action if it was negatively affecting them; as opposed to the rest of the world.

This is definitely possible; the indications are that this investigation is only progressing because the Mobile China Alliance - a conglomerate of 30+ Chinese mobile carriers - complained to the NDRC about the cost of NAND. Price fixing would be unfairly impactful on smaller providers, which was the reason the Mobile China Alliance got started in the first place, to give a unified front whenever problems arose that affected the entire industry over there.

The truth is though, most countries probably wouldn't just go out to investigate this unless an actual complaint was received.