Apple apologizes over battery fisasco, will offer $29 battery replacements for 1 year

DrMacintosh
2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

just looked up how to change a battery in a moto z. 

im sorry man. they just had to glue the whole thing together didn't they? smh

Yes. In fact, replacing the battery on an iPhone 7 is a piece of cake in comparison. 

There was a time where most Android phones are super easy to repair and replace components like the battery. Now they're even harder than the iPhone. I never thought I'd see the day where an Apple product is literally the easiest thing to repair... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Yes. In fact, replacing the battery on an iPhone 7 is a piece of cake in comparison. 

There was a time where most Android phones are super easy to repair and replace components like the battery. Now they're even harder than the iPhone. I never thought I'd see the day where an Apple product is literally the easiest thing to repair... 

you're telling me...

I did like the G3 i had for a while though with it's replacable battery. and i mean... it's not like the phone was too thick.. idk why they stopped doing that :( 

they could be more clever and still make a really nicely made phone with great materials even with a swappable battery. they just don't...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're telling me...

I did like the G3 i had for a while though with it's replacable battery. and i mean... it's not like the phone was too thick.. idk why they stopped doing that :( 

they could be more clever and still make a really nicely made phone with great materials even with a swappable battery. they just don't...

Because consumers are more easily allured with a glass slab. 

I remember that the battery on my Note8 degrades less due to improved manufacturing despite a capacity reduction. 

But I really feel that this is more or less a sign that new battery tech needs to come soon. We're at the limit of what lithium batteries can do, especially since users are pushing their phones harder now, meaning they'll degrade much faster. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't think an extra 2mm is going to give enough room for active cooling and heating. Temperature is the big killer of batteries and phones are exposed to both extremes. Thus the conservative construction of batteries in small portable devices. Otherwise you end up with a hand grenade in your pocket.

2mm was just a random figure, but there is more you can do than improve cooling. I was actually referring to the internal makeup of the battery and how that is designed, having such slim and limited space does not allow for a durable battery design when you also need a high mAh rating. In fact mAh is not even the correct value to use when talking about the capacity of a battery, Wh actually tells you this.

As I mentioned in the other topic about this my laptop only has a 2390mAh battery in it but it will last much longer than any iPhone battery, it has a higher Wh rating.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

2mm was just a random figure, but there is more you can do than improve cooling. I was actually referring to the internal makeup of the battery and how that is designed, having such slim and limited space does not allow for a durable battery design when you also need a high mAh rating. In fact mAh is not even the correct value to use when talking about the capacity of a battery, Wh actually tells you this.

As I mentioned in the other topic about this my laptop only has a 2390mAh battery in it but it will last much longer than any iPhone battery, it has a higher Wh rating.

Since we're talking about this. 

7.55Wh is the capacity of the iPhone 7's battery (not the Plus) 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Thats because your laptop battery has a much higher voltage than a phone battery.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Because consumers are more easily allured with a glass slab. 

I remember that the battery on my Note8 degrades less due to improved manufacturing despite a capacity reduction. 

But I really feel that this is more or less a sign that new battery tech needs to come soon. We're at the limit of what lithium batteries can do, especially since users are pushing their phones harder now, meaning they'll degrade much faster. 

they can make a glass slab attached to a battery lol. make the entire back of the phone pop/slide/use some kind of mechanism to come off. make the rest of the hardware stay attached to the screen on top

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Since we're talking about this. 

7.55Wh is the capacity of the iPhone 7's battery (not the Plus) 

And my very small laptop battery is 37Wh, most laptops have around 50Wh and good laptops have upgrade options to increase it to around 90Wh.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And my very small laptop battery is 37Wh, most laptops have around 50Wh and good laptops have upgrade options to increase it to around 90Wh.

19V battery versus a 3.3V battery in an iPhone...

watt hours is amp hours * volts. simple equation.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Maybe the industry should stop planned obsolescence, what a shocking concept.

Well. It is their only means of profit.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't think an extra 2mm is going to give enough room for active cooling and heating. Temperature is the big killer of batteries and phones are exposed to both extremes. Thus the conservative construction of batteries in small portable devices. Otherwise you end up with a hand grenade in your pocket.

So that 4K mAh battery in my phone is a hand grenade? :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Sweet for those who don't need to replace their batteries but can,  however for those who do have shit batteries it's another $27 to keep their phone working as long as it should have in the first place.  That's neither a good product nor service.  If the phone was a $99 clunker and 2 years old I would expect that, but not for a $500-600 phone that's only a year old.

Are you trying to blame apple for battery degradation?

People use their phone a lot. Some people might even need to charge their phone mid-way through out their day. Once you’ve completed around 700 charge cycle, it’s completely normal for lithium battery to go bad. Some dont even know how to take care of their battery and only charge when their battery is completely or nearly depleted, which harms their batteries.

The problem on throttling appears on iPhone 6 and some 6s, which are both over 2 years old and so it’s normal for the battery to start going bad with the charge cycle. 

Just now, vetali said:

Thats because your laptop battery has a much higher voltage than a phone battery.

Yep, but what exactly is stopping phone makers from increasing the overall package voltage and spending a little more money on voltage regulation on the device end? That also isn't the only option, you can actually tailor make batteries to certain specifications if required and is what Tesla is doing with their own battery manufacturing.

It's cheaper and easier to go with an existing design that is proven to work well, until it stops work well of course.

You have a lot of options if you have the space to do it.

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just to be clear, I am not an Apple loyalist. I am not loyal to any company. You can't escape battery degradation, and avoiding the problem altogether and allowing phones to simply shut off can also be considered a way to force people to upgrade, particularly if it's too expensive to replace the battery for the current phone and/or simply too difficult. 

Don't claim people are loyalists to the company because they support the way the respective company has dealt with something. 

Or you can avoid it even better with user replaceable batteries. This is one of the many anti-consumer changes to the phone industry Apple pioneered: forcing you to discard your phone when battery performance slows down when the standard before was actually compelling users to upgrade with newer features and design but still allowing heavy users to replace batteries as needed.

Sorry but I refuse to take for granted that most people would trade a "thin" device or dust and water proofing for user replaceable batteries.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

14.4V for me, and yea I know I actually have National Certificate in electronics and build plenty of my own stuff. As well as have people I know who are registered electricians and electrical engineers who are smarter than me that I can ask questions to when I'm interested in finding out more, like battery tech.

2 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Yes, for the reasons on my post above: not having user replaceable batteries is their design choice and flaw.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, xtroria said:

People use their phone a lot. Some people might even need to charge their phone mid-way through out their day. Once you’ve completed around 700 charge cycle, it’s completely normal for lithium battery to go bad. Some dont even know how to take care of their battery and only charge when their battery is completely or nearly depleted, which harms their batteries.

The problem on throttling appears on iPhone 6 and some 6s, which are both over 2 years old and so it’s normal for the battery to start going bad with the charge cycle. 

It is Apple's fault. And I say that as an iPhone owner myself.

The non-Plus model iPhone has notoriously poor battery life and has ever since the 6 was launched. The 6S improved it (or worsened it depending on the silicon lottery) then the 7 improved it again and also the 8 again; but the improvements were relatively minor and the effective battery life is still very short, especially for screen on time. The smaller the capacity the faster the phone will discharge. By putting such small capacity batteries in the iPhone (the non-Plus models aren't even 2000mAh) Apple are ensuring that people will burn through the lifespan of the Li-Po battery faster than if it had a larger capacity battery.

It's the only reason I have a 7 Plus instead of a 7; the battery capacity on the base model is just ridiculous. Even on the 7 Plus it's ridiculously small for such a large phone, not even reaching 3000mAh.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

So that 4K mAh battery in my phone is a hand grenade? :P

Was in the Note 7 xD

Just now, leadeater said:

14.4V for me, and yea I know I actually have National Certificate in electronics and build plenty of my own stuff. As well as have people I know who are registered electricians and electrical engineers who are smarter than me that I can ask questions to when I'm interested in finding out more like battery tech.

idk why i assumed 19V... eh. carry on.

sorry if what i said sounded rude. didn't mean it that way. but yeah... something else i can point out i guess is that if you're phone's battery doesn't last you through the day to begin with then you're gonna go through cycles faster than a phone with a big enough battery to get you through a day or more. really this whole fiasco is apple paying the price for making their phones so thin the way I see it...

Spoiler

Just now, leadeater said:

Was in the Note 7 xD

Actually, bigger than what the Note 7 had. Should I be concerned? o.O

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

So...my phone has a better battery than an iPhone due to it being 8.4Wh (it says so right next to the mAh), and its only a phone that cost me $50 AUD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

idk why i assumed 19V... eh. carry on.

sorry if what i said sounded rude. didn't mean it that way. but yeah... something else i can point out i guess is that if you're phone's battery doesn't last you through the day to begin with then you're gonna go through cycles faster than a phone with a big enough battery to get you through a day or more. really this whole fiasco is apple paying the price for making their phones so thin the way I see it...

Nah it didn't, not everyone knows what the numbers means on a battery and the difference. Also think 19V is more common, my laptop is crap lol. 

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Actually, bigger than what the Note 7 had. Should I be concerned? o.O

i think the problem with the note was cramming a big battery in a small space.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yes, for the reasons on my post above: not having user replaceable batteries is their design choice and flaw.

Tell that to all the android phone manufacturers that also do the same thing

Lol how is making your user base pay for your fuck up a godo thing ? That's like nvidia making their 970 user base pay to get a 970 that actually has 4gb of vram wher all the  chips run at the same speed

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)