Rumour: Intel Core 9000 series to get more threads

porina
23 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well if you are going to wait for this rumor what do you think of the 12c mainstream AMD Zen2 CPU that is rumored for end of 2018

Well, I honestly don't know. I hope it will have AM4 socket support cause I oredered R7 1700. My old phenom needs to go, it was great a CPU but it has to go. 

Just now, Essence_of_Darkness said:

Well, I honestly don't know. I hope it will have AM4 socket support cause I oredered R7 1700. My old phenom needs to go, it was great a CPU but it has to go. 

AM4 should support zen2 and possibly even zen 3 if their statement of 4 year support on AM4 is true. and AMD has had a habit of supporting socket longer then intel.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

This is sad :( A core # increase wasn't possible in 7 previous generation (Nehalem to Kaby Lake) but it's possible to double the core count in 2 gens now that AMD actually offers competitive CPUs?

The real damage done here is to all the software we use. Had Intel at least had REASONABLE releases, like 6 cores around 2012, 8 cores around 2015, and 10 for 2017 to now sort of match where we ended up anyway, developers would be programming with increased thread count in mind all the more. Optimization would be nearly a decade ahead of where it is now.

Intel essentially held the world back a decade in computing with their greediness. Makes my blood boil.

Remember, developers target hardware that's already mainstream, they don't target future hardware.

7 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

To Coffee Lake or Not To Coffee Lake? That is the question.

Icelake Kappa

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I expected i5 to have 8c8t (so i3 and i5 would have the same amount of threads just like before).

If this is true, I might consider an upgrade when I see the prices. That if only AMD don't bring something nice on the table :P

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

This is sad :( A core # increase wasn't possible in 7 previous generation (Nehalem to Kaby Lake) but it's possible to double the core count in 2 gens now that AMD actually offers competitive CPUs?

this is why it's critical that AMD stays alive.

I've been saying this for years.... without their competition, the market goes nowhere.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I wonder what power consumption will look like... if they're as hot as the 7700k it'll be an adventure cooling it xD

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I wonder what power consumption will look like... if they're as hot as the 7700k it'll be an adventure cooling it xD

A CPU doesn't have to run at 5 GHz...

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

A CPU doesn't have to run at 5 GHz...

I want it to run at 5GHz though xD. Otherwise why buy the K SKU?

That's an F in the profile pic

That intel can casually double the core count on their cpu lineup gives you an idea

how large their profit margins were with AMD not being able to compete.

If AMD had stayed in the game we would be having 8 core 16 thread CPUs for a while now,

instead we had 4 cores 8 threads for 8 years when it only took 3-4 years to go from a 

single core 1 thread pentium to a quad core 8 thread I7.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Welcome to business.

2 hours ago, nexus6 said:

I appreciate that you spelled "rumour" correctly.

On the news - means nothing without pricing.

Pretty sure a majority of the forum is American, so rumor would be correct ;)

1 hour ago, hoboX10 said:

The real damage done here is to all the software we use. Had Intel at least had REASONABLE releases, like 6 cores around 2012, 8 cores around 2015, and 10 for 2017 to now sort of match where we ended up anyway, developers would be programming with increased thread count in mind all the more. Optimization would be nearly a decade ahead of where it is now.

Intel essentially held the world back a decade in computing with their greediness. Makes my blood boil.

Remember, developers target hardware that's already mainstream, they don't target future hardware.

Intel did release 12 core processors in 2012. On Xeon, where they belonged. 

8 core processors aren't even mainstream now. You can't use what some of a tech forum are buying either, we're far from the majority. 

11 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Then live with the consequences ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

coffeelake just came out . This won't be coming out before late 2018 , now that intel has a decent zen competitor with coffeelake.

By then zen + and maybe zen 2 will be out.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

You kids these days.  Back in my day your computer was obsolete before you finished installing your games on it.  You've been spoiled by a plateau that dragged on from Sandy Bridge to Kaby Lake where all you had to do was upgrade your GPU every 2-3 years and it was all good.

23 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

You can always buy AMD's cool CPUs (or simply live with it because you want the best thing on the market) or overclock it to 4.5 GHz.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I can see it now: "Should I Upgrade to Coffeelake OR Wait for Icelake?" posts everywhere.

Actually cannonlake, since that's what is coming next. Then icelake and then tiger lake.

3 hours ago, Essence_of_Darkness said:

Holy sh** if that rumor is true, then I might just cancel my Ryzen order :P

Well... by that logic you'd never buy anything :P besides we don't know how ryzen 2 will be.

2 hours ago, FloRolf said:

And IPC will be the same as haswell, lol. 

That's unlikely, but the clock speeds are bound to be a bit lower - unless they want a 150W tdp.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Part of me wants to troll a bit as this is "Late to the party" news, as this rumor has been around for a while.

But the claim is from further sources. Once Z390 ended up on Intel's roadmap, we new something was up with the next iteration. However, there's enough information out there that says at least some of the 9th Gen is Icelake. It looks a whole lot like Q3 2018 is going to be a messy release for Intel. There is almost 0% chance that they're going +2 cores on a new process, when yields are already bad.

This points to a few things. The 9th Gen in Desktop will just be a Coffeelake Refresh (i.e. whatever IP tweaks they do) with downshifted segmentation. Top SKU having 8c.  Z370 appears to be a DOA platform, while Z390 will handle 10th Gen/Icelake CPUs which are actually a large uArch update. (We're going from "Skylake Cores" to "Icelake Cores".)  First Icelake parts will be in the Mobile space. Icelake CPUs for Desktop is going to be H2 2019 by the official statements of Server before Desktop with 10nm+.

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

AM4 should support zen2 and possibly even zen 3 if their statement of 4 year support on AM4 is true. and AMD has had a habit of supporting socket longer then intel.

Zen2 and a possible Zen2+. (Zen2+ isn't on any roadmap, but if DDR5 is late, both AMD & Intel will have to refresh.) Zen3 will be on AM5. Zen3 will be DDR5 and PCIe 4.0.

Intel is basically a bunch of idiots at this point. They still keep refreshing their garbage 14nm architecture. 8c/16t CPU will need a massive cooling and VRM to be overclocked or even used regularly at all and i think the 9th gen will still be 14nm.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

19 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Actually cannonlake, since that's what is coming next. Then icelake and then tiger lake.

Actually because of production issues Intel has chosen for cannonlake to be mobile only and desktop to jump from coffee lake to Icelake. Icelake is projected to be on the 2 generation of their 10nm process. For desktop Icelake will be an architecture and process update. With tigerlake being an slated to be an optimization.

these are however all projections that Intel has released so far and could change.

17 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Cannonlake isn't coming to Desktops by Intel's own statements. Icelake is when 10nm reaches mainstream.