Rumour: Intel Core 9000 series to get more threads

porina
11 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

I wouldn't say nothing competes. Oracle Sparc M7 stood up incredibly well against Power 8. And With Intel's expansion of SMT to 4-way in KNL, there are actually some cases where those 72-core Xeon Phi provide some marvellous showing.

Oh I'm not arguing that, I know full and well of SPARC's capability I get hands on with it. Mostly nothing competes in straight out performance in what they are purposed for. But if you are spending the kind of money that Power9 and Z go for, you expect the best. Plus IBM like you said in a prior post, they are focused and pushing into financial analytics and transaction databases.

then they have their tape drives lol.

So Coffee Lake 8 core will need Z390 and 10 core will need Z400 board.

Don't make the mistake in thinking intel give a single shit about it's consumers.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

On 27/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, asus killer said:

Intel just shits on consumers. Years selling basically the same processors, now every 6 months releases new processors with more cores and of course a new mobo.

Let me just tell you guys, i love AMD, they deserve my money next time.

What exactly do you want from them? They're still selling better processors. They're shitting on consumers by moving the market moreso and offering better choices for money?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

40 minutes ago, Subtle Corruption said:

So Coffee Lake 8 core will need Z390 and 10 core will need Z400 board.

Don't make the mistake in thinking intel give a single shit about it's consumers.

Neither do AMD or Nvidia. It's a publicly traded corporation. Money first, always.

42 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Neither do AMD or Nvidia. It's a publicly traded corporation. Money first, always.

A properly run company does care about its customers. The biggest problems in Western business over the last few decades is the rise of the MBAs and their almost pathological inability to properly value cost & risk or understand keeping momentum in their businesses.

4 hours ago, tjcater said:

While Zen2 is supposed to be AM4, I think the real question would be if a new chipset will be necessary, and if so, will they do what Intel did where past CPUs will not run on it. Now if DDR5 support comes to AM4, then we will know for sure, but maybe zen2/3(Or whatever design brings DDR5) would have a dual DDR4/DDR5 controller and support current chipsets at least. (I don't have enough knowledge in processor design and chipsets, so maybe even a different memory controller would be enough to make Zen2/3 incompatible with x370)

a new chipset wouldn't mean that the current motherboards aren't compatible with the new chips zen 2 is probably not ddr5, that will probably be in zen3 

1 hour ago, Armakar said:

What exactly do you want from them? They're still selling better processors. They're shitting on consumers by moving the market moreso and offering better choices for money?

how about not bribing everyone they can to prevent amd/(probably others) from selling their products, intel has been a shitty company for a long ass time, the first anomaly i saw was when IBM was buying their chips and they had to provide the schematics to amd so that there was more than one provider of the chips (part of the conditions from ibm), and intel broke the contract just one year later 

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

a new chipset wouldn't mean that the current motherboards aren't compatible with the new chips zen 2 is probably not ddr5, that will probably be in zen3 

I know, I was just speculating on whether AMD will do what Intel did with the 8th gen processors and 300 series chipset or would they keep processor compatibility across chipsets.

Just now, tjcater said:

I know, I was just speculating on whether AMD will do what Intel did with the 8th gen processors and 300 series chipset or would they keep processor compatibility across chipsets.

they will definitely keep compatibility they kept it in the past, and as ryzen is even more modular i don't see any reason not to

sandy bridge had 3 gens of mobos

p67 get to market

z68

z77

which we prolly see again with coffeelake

z370 get to market

z390

z4xx this we might get pcie 4.0 and dmi 4.0

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

AMD is a little cagey with the "support AM4 through 2020" language, as it's AM4 APUs that'll be the last chips on the platform. We're getting a X470 & assocated B & A model motherboards in 2018, but they're socket AM4 still.  In 2019, we may get an AM4+ for Zen2, if it adds PCIe 4.0. No one seems to know about that one.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

they will definitely keep compatibility they kept it in the past, and as ryzen is even more modular i don't see any reason not to

For AMD, it's a pretty easy compatibility to keep. Zen2 solves a lot of the low-hanging fruit within the design while iterational improvements elsewhere. Zen3 brings new Memory, so that's where you put a lot of the big changes. If you can put yourself in the shoes of the companies, you can work out how they're proceeding. The only thing you don't know is which tech is working, on-time or behind schedule. The 1-2 year forward product planning isn't that difficult to sort out, in the big picture. 

37 minutes ago, pas008 said:

sandy bridge had 3 gens of mobos

p67 get to market

z68

z77

which we prolly see again with coffeelake

z370 get to market

z390

z4xx this we might get pcie 4.0 and dmi 4.0

I get the feeling Z370 and the associated B & H boards won't support Icelake. We'll see when we get to H2 2018, but Z370 might be a 1 gen chipset. The H & B boards might actually handle Icelake parts while the Z370 might not. 

Actually, considering word is AMD recently taped out their Zen2 designs, it's probably a given that PCIe 4.0 is part of Zen2. What that means for AM4 boards, I don't know. My speculation would be that we get "AM4+" or "AM4e" or something like that. Socket compatible, but running with PCIe 4.0 bandwidth. This should be expected because Zen2 is the next Server design from AMD.

To that point, this might also explain the oddities with Intel. They were waiting for some decisions about which designs to roll out until PCIe 4.0 was complete as well. For Intel, it's much more important in the server space, so they've been locking in design details for the Server Platform next year. (CPU design has probably been done for a year, but details about implementation of PCIe 4.0 weren't complete until recently.)

2 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

I presume you spell "our" as "or" then.

Nope, while we use the Old English versions of plenty of words (Eg. color or rumor), we use our as or has a different meaning while rumor and rumour are the same word.

40 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Actually, considering word is AMD recently taped out their Zen2 designs, it's probably a given that PCIe 4.0 is part of Zen2. What that means for AM4 boards, I don't know. My speculation would be that we get "AM4+" or "AM4e" or something like that. Socket compatible, but running with PCIe 4.0 bandwidth. This should be expected because Zen2 is the next Server design from AMD.

To that point, this might also explain the oddities with Intel. They were waiting for some decisions about which designs to roll out until PCIe 4.0 was complete as well. For Intel, it's much more important in the server space, so they've been locking in design details for the Server Platform next year. (CPU design has probably been done for a year, but details about implementation of PCIe 4.0 weren't complete until recently.)

imagine how many nvme drives you can use with 128 pcie 4 lanes :), thats 64 drives!! 64*3Gb/s=192Gb/s WoW

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

imagine how many nvme drives you can use with 128 pcie 4 lanes :), thats 64 drives!! 64*3Gb/s=192Gb/s WoW

@LinusTech

NVMe RAID ALL THE THINGS! In 2019, as the first PCIe 4.0 drives aren't on any roadmaps until at least Q4 2018.

44 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Nope, while we use the Old English versions of plenty of words (Eg. color or rumor), we use our as or has a different meaning while rumor and rumour are the same word.

Actually "color" is directly from Latin.  "Colur" was the "Old English" spelling, and "colour" was french.

Besides, I was being sarcastic.  Pointing out the apparent lack of logic in the American spelling. 

3 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Actually "color" is directly from Latin.  "Colur" was the "Old English" spelling, and "colour" was french.

While it may have originated from Latin, it was still adopted into the English language earlier on so I think that would still justify referring to it as "old English". (Some potential sauce, unless you have some stuff to contradicted it)

1 minute ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Still waiting if it's even worth it to upgrade from my i7 2600k... lmao

Only when you're ready to upgrade your GPU. Icelake may bring some real uplift to IPC, but there's no word yet on that. 2020 with DDR5 might actually be the first time you're going to find any large uplift, unless you buy a high-end GPU.

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

how about not bribing everyone they can to prevent amd/(probably others) from selling their products, intel has been a shitty company for a long ass time, the first anomaly i saw was when IBM was buying their chips and they had to provide the schematics to amd so that there was more than one provider of the chips (part of the conditions from ibm), and intel broke the contract just one year later 

Oh for crying out loud. That era died with Paul Otellini's departure. The former Intel staff responsible for that all work for Google now,

2 hours ago, nexus6 said:

Pointing out the apparent lack of logic in the American spelling.

The 'U' in those words serve no purpose. Keeping the letter in is the less logical of the two options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The 'U' in those words serve no purpose. Keeping the letter in is the less logical of the two options.

Explain "Aluminum" then :P  That's just the wrong word.

28 minutes ago, nexus6 said:

Explain "Aluminum" then :P  That's just the wrong word.

Aluminum is the older version. Aluminium only exists because some dumbass wanted consistency.

If either word is wrong, it's aluminium.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Aluminum is the older version. Aluminium only exists because some dumbass wanted consistency.

If either word is wrong, it's aluminium.

Awfully distorted view of it, how it sounds to me is he finalised the name...

How did a thread about the 9th Gen Intel processors get sidetracked to discussions about word derivations? O.o