[UPDATED] PS3 Jailbreak on firmware 4.81 in development

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

To all asking. This is significnat because the latest firmwares for the ps3's were not hacked, so it left many ps3s in an unhackable state. The only way to do it before was with rather complicated downgrade methods to a hackable firmware. The end goal is to hack the super slim ps3s

This sums it up perfectly

*THIS ARTICLE DOES  NOT CONTAIN ANY INFO RELATED TO PIRACY ON THE PS3 SYSTEM. IF ANY MODS CAN DELETE ANY LINKS RELATED TO PIRACY THAT WOULD BE NICE*

Huge shout out to esc0rtd3w and his team on making this exploit. His Twitter can be found here: https://twitter.com/esc0rtd3w 

Were it all started

On August/7/2017, hackers in the PlayStation scene have released a test site on  PSXHAX that demonstrates a vulnerability in the PS3's browser, that when you run it will crash the console. This exploit has been in the browser for a long time, and Sony has not updated the browser in any PS3 update and it was using a really old webkit that contain multiple vulnerabilities that were patched a long time ago. (Here is a VIDEO that demonstrates the exploit in action.) 

With silence for over 3 months on the exploit. New info was released on November/9/2017, that the

exploit would be released around  Christmas with a software downgrader to be released in Q1 2018 as talked extensively in this Wololo article.

But sadly later that same day 2 people who we don't know the names of hacked the Mega Upload account of the developer and leaked the exploit earlier than expected, but it was not in working condition, and reportedly sent it to Sony. After the leak, the website that demonstrated the exploit was taken offline by the developer and all the files on his GitHub page were removed as well. 

2 days later on November/11/2017, the developer released an IDPS dumping tool on PSX-PLACE . The IDPS is used for unbanning your PS3 system if ti wasn't banned already, and for downgrading to an older firmware version on compatible systems and a lot more. The tool was released earlier than expected because of the leak.

The tool supports all ps3 fat, slim, and super slim models even with 12GB of EMMC storage built in and only works on firmware 4.81 and recently 4.82 as said on the PSX-PLACE forum post.

Recently on November/13/2017 Sony released firmware update 4.82. This update patched part of the exploit and a new one is in development as of writing this (check back here for the updated IDPS dumping tool). Funny enough the update was compiled in August as said by this hacker on TWITTER but its highly recommended to stay on 4.81 for the full exploit. 

Now you might be asking what is gonna happen when it's fully released? Well for all fat and early ps3 slim models you can downgrade via software to 3.55 and install CFW rather than using a hardware downgrader tool called an E3 Flasher.

But for late ps3 slim and all super slim models a

browser-based homebrew executer is in the works that will temporarily run custom firmware on your ps3 system until you turn it off as said in this Wololo article and call it a HEN which is a homebrew executer,

but right now nothing has been said on this topic and is most likely gonna release later in 2018.

In my opinion, I love when this kind of stuff happens, because it's awesome to make a closed source system run programs and even a different os than it was intended to do. I am not one of those a-holes that do this to grief online and ruin it for everyone, I do this to backup my games that I paid for and to run Linux, and since it's been almost 6 years since an exploit was found I am so happy this was released.

If you want to know if your PS3 can be downgraded go to https://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PS3/DEVICE_PS3.html for help on identifying your console and to download the 4.81 update if you are not on it already. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that 3.55 was the firmware that lets you jailbreak your PS3. But only fat and early slim models can be downgraded to 3.55 like I mentioned above.

[UPDATES]

The 4.82 IDPS tool has been released go to the 4th link in the direct links section. xD

Direct links:

1.Webkit exploit: https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3-webkitsploit-and-ps3-playground-wip-github-forks-by-esc0rtd3w.2623/

2.Demonstration video: 

3.Wololo article: http://wololo.net/2017/11/08/ps3-developer-esc0rtd3w-announces-ps3-4-81-exploit-around-christmas/

4.IDPS dumping tool: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/update-idps-dumper-ps3-nand-nor-4-81-ofw-compatible-by-team-ps3xploit.15398/

5.Twitter link: https://twitter.com/LightningMods_/status/930316475696648192

Edited by Guest
fixed quoting

was the PS3 not hacked ages ago? o.O People were playing pirated games for ages now on the system. 

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't even know what I can do with my PS3 if I jailbroke it.

Play Blu-rays?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Play Blu-rays?

I already can. I can do that on my PS2 too.

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Play Blu-rays?

Play your PS2/1 titles on it?

Oh, shit...that would be pretty awesome.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I already can. I can do that on my PS2 too.

Eh?  They made a bluray PS2?

@ OP Too bad for me I did the update last night.  Should have known.  The only reason Sony does updates is to stop CFW, never to add features or for consumer system security.  Sonys Firmware is now Version 4.82, just pushed out last night; and probably exclusively for this reason.

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

All of them were afaik.

it would be used mainly for game backups and even for playing certain games online were the server were shut down. 

ignoring the obvious use for this hacks, the most usefull think one can do is running emulators. just google ps3 emulators.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

All of them were afaik.

None of them were if I'm not mistaken.  DVDs and Blu-rays are different things.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I already can. 

That wasn't a part of the bargain! You asked for a use your jail-broken PS3 can provide and I gave you one! Don't let me stop you from watching 50 Shades of Gray in 4K!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

7 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

can already do that, 80gb fat ps3 best ps3

would to see someone make an homebrew that would allow to play with steam in home streaming on it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

can already do that, 80gb fat PHAT ps3 best ps3

FTFY.  I've got 2 of those...in varying degrees of operation.  My PS3 Slim has been far more durable than my phat boi, though they are quite different (no backwards compat, no alt OS, I/O etc).

Could be awesome to get linux back on them like they originally were supposed to before Sony cut that out.  Could still be a nice media centre for some of us.

FTFY.  I've got 2 of those...in varying degrees of operation.  My PS3 Slim has been far more durable than my phat boi, though they are quite different (no backwards compat, no alt OS, I/O etc).

mine got YLOD three years ago, could have reballed it, but that never works so instead tested my luck and bought a set of "new" gpu and cpu from china on ebay. 1 month later and 50€ down, it's been doing fine so far (those rare moments when china doesn't let you down), wish i could do something for the jet engine sound though 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

16 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

All of them were afaik.

Yes, the PS2, released in 2000, can all play BluRays which were first released in 2006.  Few people understand this but the PS2 is also a TIME MACHINE that is capable of futureactive hardware upgrades.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I don't even know what I can do with my PS3 if I jailbroke it.

You can run Linux slim models.

55 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

The PS3 could only handle it via hardware based emulation, as weird and wrong as that sounds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Any bets the Cell could handle 8-bit HEVC in 1080P if someone coded a decoder for it?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes, the PS2, released in 2000, can all play BluRays which were first released in 2006.  Few people understand this but the PS2 is also a TIME MACHINE that is capable of futureactive hardware upgrades.

A mistake, oh no. Whatever will I do? For a console I haven't touched in 10 years.

what about Linux? Or is that still dead?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Whatever will I do? 

Put that thing on display?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

@FatherFingLing Your post does not the requirements as a News Post.

You need to use quotes boxes for any quotes you may be using (considered plagiarism) , if you do not have quotes please include soome.

Posting Guidelines:

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

@FatherFingLing Your post does not the requirements as a News Post.

You need to use quotes boxes for any quotes you may be using (considered plagiarism) , if you do not have quotes please include soome.

Alright i will fix it up

To all asking. This is significnat because the latest firmwares for the ps3's were not hacked, so it left many ps3s in an unhackable state. The only way to do it before was with rather complicated downgrade methods to a hackable firmware. The end goal is to hack the super slim ps3s

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

This sums it up perfectly

my phat ps 3 with custom firmware is somewhere in the attic. didnt use that thing since i moved in 2013