Intel encourages you to compromise on older i7s with the "Game Without Compromise" bundle

Misanthrope

Intel starts their "Game Without Compromise" bundle for older K-series i7 CPUs

Intel starts their

So it seems that intel is more than aware that they might not be able to resolve their coffee lake supply issues as quickly as the demand for them on hand. Their solution however seems rather peculiar to say the last: They're offering gaming bundles on the 7700k and 6700k SKUs now:

For a limited time, Intel is offering PC builders the opportunity to get two free games with i7 6700K and i7 7700K CPUs at select retailers. These two games include the recently released Total War: Warhammer II from Creative Assembly and the soon to be released Assassin's Creed: Origins from Ubisoft.

Sadly this promotion does not apply to Coffee Lake series CPUs, though it does mean that existing 100-series and 200-series motherboard owners can get a little more value out of their CPU upgrades while stocks last. 

This bundle applies to both complete systems and individual CPUs depending on the retailer, though sadly neither of these CPUs have received a price decrease in the wake of Coffee Lake's release, which undermines the value proposition of this bundle somewhat given the increase in raw CPU performance that Coffee Lake offers. 

Intel starts their

In the case of complete pre-built systems I can concede that is a good offering to make those rigs more attractive since many of the system builders might be unable to completely replace their stock of machines to coffee lake in time for this holiday season so if you're asking people to buy an outdated chip at a price premium the least you can do is offer a couple of decent AAA games. For people buying pre-built rigs this might not even be that much of an outdated chip since this machines should still perform reasonably well for gaming and such.

But for everybody else, I don't think 2 titles make up for 2 missing cores: You're asking people basically not to just wait for coffee lake availability but to buy into a dead-end platform with a chip that we know it's already severely outpaced by the new chips on all non-gaming scenarios and even select gaming ones (Mostly Civ 6 though but you get the point). If you don't care about productivity at all, if you foresee upgrading within 2 or 3 years anyway or if you don't want a full platform upgrade and were waiting for a chance to up from an i5 chip then by all means this is good news.

Source: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_starts_their_game_without_compromise_bundle_for_older_k-series_i7_cpus/1

-------

Current Rig

-------

Instead of trying to sell more 7700Ks and 6700Ks, they should improve Coffeelake availability. :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Deals to try and sell older models, can't say I've heard of that one before. Must be specifically because of Coffee Lake.

... everyone's talking about Coffee Lake. Coffee Lake, Coffee Lake, COFFEE LAKE!

Intel

If+real+life+was+like+gta+san+andreas+his+respect+_6a0e4e61035e2d5375410d5022ef8d03.png

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

How about to those who already owned the first game?

I'd rather see price cuts to 8350k level, then these 2 chips are worth thinking about.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On a related note if you really want free Asscreed Origins just pick up a new GPU or Asus monitor (choice of Freesync or Gsync) instead:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/for_a_limited_time_select_rog_gpus_and_displays_will_come_with_assassin_s_creed_origins/1

For a limited time select ROG GPUs and displays will come with Assassin's Creed Origins

ASUS has recently unleashed a new GPU/monitor bundle that allows those who purchase select GPUs and displays at certain retailers to get a free copy of Assassin's Creed Origins when it released later this month. 

This applies to the following products, though please note that this bundle does stack with Nvidia's "Forge your Army" bundle for Middle Earth: Shadow of War when applied to applicable products. 

GPUs

- ROG Poseidon GTX 1080Ti P11G
- ROG GTX 1080Ti 011G
- ROG GTX 1080Ti 11G
- ROG Strix GTX 1080 O8G 11GBPS
- ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G 11GBPS
- ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G GAMING
- ROG Strix GTX 1080 8G GAMING
- ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G
- ROG Strix GTX 1070 8G
- ROG Strix GTX 1060 O6G

Displays  

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Instead of trying to sell more 7700Ks and 6700Ks, they should improve Coffeelake availability. :P

Easier said than done

11 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Deals to try and sell older models, can't say I've heard of that one before. Must be specifically because of Coffee Lake.

... everyone's talking about Coffee Lake. Coffee Lake, Coffee Lake, COFFEE LAKE!

Intel

If+real+life+was+like+gta+san+andreas+his+respect+_6a0e4e61035e2d5375410d5022ef8d03.png

Now THAT ^ is the game they should be including. They would sell out in no time. You are absolutely right though, it was enough of a taste to get people to wait for stock to arrive, and talk it up in the mean time.

1 minute ago, FTL said:

Easier said than done

Well that's the thing: it's been like 5 years since Intel didn't have to plan release schedules to react to competitors since only their own older products were feasible. 

Now that AMD is not on a corner eating glue anymore (Well, for CPUs anyway) People might see that Intel isn't immune to launch woes and that they might even worsen on that regard. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 minutes ago, pat182 said:

my new rare 8700k built :P

-sni-

*gasp* HOWD YOU GET ONE OF THOSE??? (Nice build though, the P3 is a good open design case)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Id rather have a CPU that doesn't melt a hole in my wallet AND my motherboard :P

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

22 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

*gasp* HOWD YOU GET ONE OF THOSE??? (Nice build though, the P3 is a good open design case)

did the queue at my local store !

this kinda sucks because people how have been wanting push back from Intel are going to have to wait feel really bad for someone how wants to build a RX Vega 64 and coffee lake build due to neither being readily available.  

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Guess people don't understand how when you rush a product to the market that actually functions as it should, you wind up with shortages.

"Oh no, I can't upgrade my 6700K to an 8700K because they have none in stock!"

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Honestly, Intel has really been going downhill for me.  Haven't been a fan of their business practices for quite some time, but still had to buy them because there really wasn't alternatives at the time.  

Promoting their older SKUs trying to get people to buy all their leftover stock in the wake of shortages on their latest product is downright stupid to me.  They should instead incentivize waiting for the 8700k.  I've seen plenty of posts already that people are saying just get a 1700/x/1800x because the 8700k is impossible to find and is more pricey.  

2 minutes ago, Ganz said:

Promoting their older SKUs trying to get people to buy all their leftover stock in the wake of shortages on their latest product is downright stupid to me

So you are saying trying to sell a pile of CPUs that cost money to make that holds up more than fine in games and then selling them under gaming bundles is stupid for business....but you say they should not try to sell anything until their stock is back up for the 8700k? You are not a fan of their business practices but your suggestion is for a business to say dont buy our stuff...wait a bit...while literally throwing money down the drain. Sounds legit.

9 minutes ago, Ganz said:

Honestly, Intel has really been going downhill for me.  Haven't been a fan of their business practices for quite some time, but still had to buy them because there really wasn't alternatives at the time.  

Promoting their older SKUs trying to get people to buy all their leftover stock in the wake of shortages on their latest product is downright stupid to me.  They should instead incentivize waiting for the 8700k.  I've seen plenty of posts already that people are saying just get a 1700/x/1800x because the 8700k is impossible to find and is more pricey.  

I'm not against them moving their old stuck but this is a case in which they could take a page out of AMD's book: Rebrand the chips instead making it an "i4" for example (not 6 core like i5 but with hyperthreading beating the i3s) and release them at lower prices. Sure you won't make as much money as with this promotion (assuming it works) but you wouldn't be forcing a rather high price for an outdated product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So you are saying trying to sell a pile of CPUs that cost money to make that holds up more than fine in games and then selling them under gaming bundles is stupid for business....but you say they should not try to sell anything until their stock is back up for the 8700k? You are not a fan of their business practices but your suggestion is for a business to say dont buy our stuff...wait a bit...while literally throwing money down the drain. Sounds legit.

It's not stupid for business, never said it was.  But it's also not healthy for the consumer.  It's funny how those two often go hand-in-hand.  It's extremely difficult if not impossible to find the perfect balance between good for business vs good for consumer.  You want consumers to keep coming coming back yes?  Putting them on a dead end platform will in theory make them upgrade sooner thus spending more money.  Which again is amazing for business, but bad for the consumer.  Business practices I don't like doesn't mean bad for business.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I'm not against them moving their old stuck but this is a case in which they could take a page out of AMD's book: Rebrand the chips instead making it an "i4" for example (not 6 core like i5 but with hyperthreading beating the i3s) and release them at lower prices. Sure you won't make as much money as with this promotion (assuming it works) but you wouldn't be forcing a rather high price for an outdated product.

That's actually a much better idea IF they could make them work on current motherboards.  

3 minutes ago, Ganz said:

That's actually a much better idea IF they could make them work on current motherboards.  

Technical reasons were provided afaik to explain away backwards compatibility but forwards compatibility should still be on the table imo. I mean they obviously have 4/8 chips they want to move  and they still covered the coffee lake mobo sales with no backwards compatibility.

Specially right now where people otherwise could buy Z370 boards and just use their current 4/8 i7s as placeholders to wait out the supply issues. It seems like there's many situations to actually not shoot yourself in the foot by killing platforms prematurely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Ganz said:

Putting them on a dead end platform will in theory make them upgrade sooner thus spending more money.  Which again is amazing for business, but bad for the consumer.  Business practices I don't like doesn't mean bad for business. 

Again as if a 7700k is a dead end platform. People buying a 7700k today wont upgrade for 3-4 years which a new mobo would be needed anyway, even if gone AMD. There is nothing wrong about selling a 6700/7700k with two games for savings when its still a amazing processor that will last years from now. 

Also like I called before they released the info, there are new pins for power delivery to the chips that dont exist on z170/270

22 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again as if a 7700k is a dead end platform. People buying a 7700k today wont upgrade for 3-4 years which a new mobo would be needed anyway, even if gone AMD. There is nothing wrong about selling a 6700/7700k with two games for savings when its still a amazing processor that will last years from now. 

Also like I called before they released the info, there are new pins for power delivery to the chips that dont exist on z170/270

It is without a significant price reduction once the 8700k is officially out (even if it was mostly a paper launch)

There's plenty wrong to sell such an inferior product at such a high price. Even if the platforms are incompatible. Not only that but I covered most of your exceptions myself already:

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

In the case of complete pre-built systems I can concede that is a good offering to make those rigs more attractive since many of the system builders might be unable to completely replace their stock of machines to coffee lake in time for this holiday season so if you're asking people to buy an outdated chip at a price premium the least you can do is offer a couple of decent AAA games. For people buying pre-built rigs this might not even be that much of an outdated chip since this machines should still perform reasonably well for gaming and such.

[...]If you don't care about productivity at all, if you foresee upgrading within 2 or 3 years anyway or if you don't want a full platform upgrade and were waiting for a chance to up from an i5 chip then by all means this is good news.

-------

Current Rig

-------

seems like everyone needs to cry now days

gets old quick

they are selling older stock with games big deal to get rid of it

its not like they perform any worse now lol

3 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

-A- "We need to stop AMD from selling Ryzen, release Coffee Lake now!"

-B- "But sir...! It's not ready, we just barely started production!"

-A- "Don't question my decisions, just do it noaaaw!"

few days later

-A- "What is this?! The sales of our Kaby Lake CPUs stopped almost completely!"

-B- "Sir, it's because everyone has ordered Coffee Lake and now is waiting for delivery, but we already sent most of our stock just to reviewers, we won't see any profit for several months. Should we encourage price drops on Kaby Lake?"

-A- "Nah, just bundle some games with it or something..."

41 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

if that person had gone amd, they would not be forced to buy a new board as they could just upgrade to ryzen 2, which will be compatible, and will have 50%+ improvement (because it will be 12 core)