Hot things get hot! cont. 7980XE, 4.8GHz, and hell's fire.

Drak3
9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

AKA enough to make your pc a space heater.

No graphics card required! 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Same reason the entire LTT forum complains about the potential pitfalls of the enthusiast platform without ever owning/intending to buy said platform. Because they can B|

Seriously though, a lot of people complain about X299 and threadripper without even having valid complaints, or an intent to even buy the product. Get's extremely old x.x

I'm just glad Intel is finally doing another real extreme edition. The 6950X was okay, but really didn't warrant the title. Now, we get a fully unlocked 18 core chip and people complain that it's too crazy. The extreme edition on the enthusiast platform is too much for normal people to handle according to a ton of people, and that's somehow a bad thing :dry:

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, Drak3 said:

Aight, someone explain to @MageTank that the thread name, and any jabs at X299 thermals are not legitimate complaints, but jabs at those who think X299 being horrible due to thermals when ran outside of spec?

Why do I need anyone to explain that to me, when I never made that complaint? I didn't even direct it towards you. If I meant that towards you, I'd be quoting you, saying your name, and directing it towards you.

My small little post was about the people on this forum that constantly complain about X299's VRM being "explosive" or that it's a bad platform, without having any real experience with that product segment, or any intent to buy it. How is that in any way related to the thread name or your post? Seriously, end your petty passive aggressive nonsense already. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Why do I need anyone to explain that to me, when I never made that complaint? I didn't even direct it towards you. If I meant that towards you, I'd be quoting you, saying your name, and directing it towards you.

My small little post was about the people on this forum that constantly complain about X299's VRM being "explosive" or that it's a bad platform, without having any real experience with that product segment, or any intent to buy it. How is that in any way related to the thread name or your post? Seriously, end your petty passive aggressive nonsense already. 

If it don't apply then let it fly. Seems a lot of people don't get that. 

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

This thing at those clock speeds is probably going to draw close to double of what a 4.6ghz 7900x is doing. AKA enough to make your pc a space heater.

Now that's what I call "Extreme Edition" B|

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Demonking said:

If it don't apply then let it fly. Seems a lot of people don't get that. 

It's a character flaw of mine, lol. Just a couple posts before that, I wrote how 90C on 18C is not a big deal, but he seems to ignore what I write, and only picks out specific pieces to complain about. 

Either way, X299's VRM "disaster" is smoke and mirrors, and the only people complaining about thermals, are the people that think small AIO's are worthy of cooling 10c+ CPU's while still overclocking them. Yes, it not being soldered is annoying, but it still begs the question, would half of the people complaining about solder, even buy the CPU if it was? That's the gripe I have with the forum at the moment. Everyone is up in arms over products they never intended to buy, just so they can attack the "enemy brand" when making product comparisons. These high end CPU's are going to be fine, people just need to understand that there is a premium for these kinds of products, and price:performance is not static. If the forum would come together and understand that, I'd visit more often. 

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

If I meant that towards you, I'd be quoting you, saying your name, and directing it towards you.

You have rants, explaining things that I already know. I have no idea how your brain operates, beyond the fact that it seems like you always misunderstand what I'm trying to say.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

How is that in any way related to the thread name or your post?

A good chunk of complaints on X299 have been thermals. I take jab at those complaints via my thread title and phrasing in the post.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You have rants, explaining things that I already know. I have no idea how your brain operates, beyond the fact that it seems like you always misunderstand what I'm trying to say.

A good chunk of complaints on X299 have been thermals. I take jab at those complaints via my thread title and phrasing in the post.

I'd like to see one of my rants that are directed towards you, explaining something you already know. I can't help but feel that has never happened. If it did, perhaps you were feigning ignorance at the time?

Either way, I have been very active in dispelling the thermal myths of X299, along with reminding people that their consumer level cooling won't cut it. I also can get sarcasm. I knew your thread was mocking the thermal fears, which is why I never once mentioned thermals in that "rant". You were the one assuming I didn't get your title, and that it was directed at you. It was directed at the people that complain about both platforms as a whole, yet never intend to buy/use either platform. Any pitfall with either product segment, is used against the brands by petty fanboys that care less about actual tangible performance, and more about bolstering the brand they decided to purchase. That was the point of that small, one sentence "rant" without going too deep into it. I thought it was rather self explanatory myself. 

I should also clarify, I have no problem with the people that say "man, sucks it ain't soldered" or "wow, that's a little hot". I have problems with people saying "INTEL SUCKS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T SOLDER, RYZEN IS SOLDERED SO IT'S BETTER". I've been seeing that a ton lately, and it's making it extremely hard to have real conversations about hardware. I am not trying to play "thought police" either, just made an extremely tiny, off-rant about the observations I (and others) have made in regards to these higher end platforms, and how ironic it is that most of the complaints about these platforms, come from people that never intended to buy it in the first place. 

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather loose 2 cores, 4 threads, 10c and like 800 bucks and stay on Threadripper. 

Either way it's nice to have choices. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather loose 2 cores, 4 threads, 10c and like 800 bucks and stay on Threadripper. 

Either way it's nice to have choices. 

I can't imagine the 7980XE selling that well. It's going to be the 12C that really sells. It's the same size die, so you reap all of the thermal benefits of having a larger surface area to dissipate the heat, and since it's cut from the same cloth, it likely has the lower leakage binning advantage as well. I see no reason why the 12c will not clock higher in every regard when compared to the 10c. 

That being said, there is no beating Threadrippers "lifting on a budget" offers. Those that are in dire need of more threads and a ton of PCIe lanes on a tight budget need not look any further than TR, as it's value is absolutely insane. Those that need extra threads while still having extremely fast cores and peak AVX performance will have to find out which X299 SKU is best for them, and likely compromise on the price. Those cores come at a heavy premium on the blue side.

Come on Intel, throw one of these chips on the Intel Retail Edge sale so I can be that idiot that buys one of these chips and not understand how to manage an OC on it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

Come on Intel, throw one of these chips on the Intel Retail Edge sale so I can be that idiot that buys one of these chips and not understand how to manage an OC on it.

I am still waiting for the first person to throw a 212 Evo on it, lol. 

Just now, MageTank said:

I am still waiting for the first person to throw a 212 Evo on it, lol. 

You've made me want to be that person lmao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

You've made me want to be that person lmao.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0mCePgIajHB

I really don't know how to pronounce your name. Sorry Susan.

In case you guys didn't know already, it's public knowledge on HWBOT / Facebook that the new chips are different die's than the 6/8/10.  The die is MUCH bigger on the bigger core count chips vs the 10 core, thus allowing much higher surface area to dissipate heat from.  I doubt we'll see nearly the same thermals on the 18 that we saw on the 10.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Orders one, 5GHz 18-Core here I come!

Just kidding, I'm poor :(

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

4.8Ghz 18 cores would probably be the last CPU that you need to buy.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

30 minutes ago, Lays said:

In case you guys didn't know already, it's public knowledge on HWBOT / Facebook that the new chips are different die's than the 6/8/10.  The die is MUCH bigger on the bigger core count chips vs the 10 core, thus allowing much higher surface area to dissipate heat from.  I doubt we'll see nearly the same thermals on the 18 that we saw on the 10.

Intel has 10c, 18c & 28c design branches. Skylake-X covers 10c & 18c branches. A good chunk of us knew this.

However, the heat & power draw are still going to be there. Skylake cores are still heavy Perf/Watt users at higher clocks. If you can get the heat transfered to cooling system, even the 18c should be able to do 4.8 Ghz. However, it'll also be putting out heat about 5x that of a 7700k at the same clock, along with about 4x to 5x the power draw. Those VRMs are going to need directed cooling, and someone is going to melt a board on this CPU.

But that's OC'd. At stock? This actually isn't going to be that much better than the 1950X. That's actually going to be some really interesting testing once it finally launches.

In all seriousness, I cannot wait for all the lazy reviewers to get their hands on this, strap an AIO to it on some open test bench, and complain about it being too hot and impractical. Only a handful of reviewers are going to actually take the time to put these things under a custom loop, and out of that group, maybe 1-2 will actually take the time to fine-tune voltage to keep thermals under control. 

I am under the impression that reviewers just ask for a specific voltage to use from Intel or AMD, dial it in, push the clocks as high as they can for it to pass their benchmarks (which are not stress tests), and then they base their opinion entirely on that. There is a serious lack of effort in reviews these days, and for those of us that "live through" reviewers, it makes it difficult to learn about a product when the reviews are hastily made with little to no additional testing involved. I had to practically beg multiple reviewers to undervolt Vega, and only one obliged. I have a feeling that a repeat of that will happen for these CPU's, as will asking them to delid them. The delid part I certainly understand, given how risky these are to delid, but i'd totally take one for the team in the name of science!

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel has 10c, 18c & 28c design branches. Skylake-X covers 10c & 18c branches. A good chunk of us knew this.

However, the heat & power draw are still going to be there. Skylake cores are still heavy Perf/Watt users at higher clocks. If you can get the heat transfered to cooling system, even the 18c should be able to do 4.8 Ghz. However, it'll also be putting out heat about 5x that of a 7700k at the same clock, along with about 4x to 5x the power draw. Those VRMs are going to need directed cooling, and someone is going to melt a board on this CPU.

But that's OC'd. At stock? This actually isn't going to be that much better than the 1950X. That's actually going to be some really interesting testing once it finally launches.

The heat will indeed be there, but that is not the point. The point is, larger dies offer a larger surface area for heat transfer. The current bottleneck of the 10C and below chips, are their inefficient heat transfers from the die to the IHS, so any amount of cooling overhead is wasted. By increasing the surface area to transfer the heat across the IHS, you are wasting less cooling potential in the process. While these CPU's are certainly going to create more heat, their larger dies are going to aid in transferring that heat more efficiently. 

If what PCworld is saying is true about turbo boost on all core, then 3.4 on all 18 cores. Realistically though, if you're buying an enthusiast CPU and not overclocking it, you're not doing it right :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/full-details-for-intels-core-i9-processor-lineup/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

The heat will indeed be there, but that is not the point. The point is, larger dies offer a larger surface area for heat transfer. The current bottleneck of the 10C and below chips, are their inefficient heat transfers from the die to the IHS, so any amount of cooling overhead is wasted. By increasing the surface area to transfer the heat across the IHS, you are wasting less cooling potential in the process. While these CPU's are certainly going to create more heat, their larger dies are going to aid in transferring that heat more efficiently. 

If what PCworld is saying is true about turbo boost on all core, then 3.4 on all 18 cores. Realistically though, if you're buying an enthusiast CPU and not overclocking it, you're not doing it right :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/full-details-for-intels-core-i9-processor-lineup/

My dad works at nintendo Intel.

Just now, MageTank said:

My dad works at nintendo Intel.