AMD Clarifies Why Threadripper Uses 4 Silicon Dies

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

also isn't the biggest cost to a wafer the printing of the transistors then the preparation of the wafer it self?

Wafers cost around $500 each.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Fuck me, I'm getting myself a silicon wafer and use it as wallart or some shit.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

so like $10 or less per chip I don't think that is a bit deal for a $550+ CPU. that cost the same as the heat sink that comes with the 1200.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

I got a Wafer of a old Chip on my desk at work for $20 on ebay. 

IMG_20170802_104040.jpg

oh and just outside the picture I have a E5-2620 on the sticky notes.

2 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

That's brand new, unused. You can buy "bad" ones for a lot less.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

so like $10 or less per chip I don't think that is a bit deal for a $550+ CPU. that cost the same as the heat sink that comes with the 1200.

Let's say at most $50 of cost for each TR CPU.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The dies are cut from the water, the wafer is just each die all on a disk.

I know, I was saying who knows if there's even silicon under there. Others have pointed out that there may be transistors, though. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I know, I was saying who knows if there's even silicon under there. Others have pointed out that there may be transistors, though. 

there is silicon under there, the whole die and wafer are made silicon, it has to be BGA soldered to the CPU package and then go through the soldering process, it can't be done any other way as the machines can only be retooled so much without changing a lot on the production line.

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Who said they were even from silicon wafers?

Because they have to be, there isn't other way to do it reliably. 

Yours faithfully

8 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

there is silicon under there, the whole die and wafer are made silicon, it has to be BGA soldered to the CPU package and then go through the soldering process, it can't be done any other way as the machines can only be retooled so much without changing a lot on the production line.

But why does there even have to be silicon under there?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

22 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Those dies cost money, the wafers they're cut from are not cheap, the indium soldering process is also expensive, indium only wets to gold, gold won't wet to silicon either, you have to vapour deposit I think it's vanadium oxide then titanium and then gold to get the indium to stick to the silicon die, and the IHS needs a gold plating, and indium isn't cheap either, that is a lot of expense for two dummy dies, I'm not totally convinced. 

I remember reading on an analysis of the shitty Intel TIM material that the indium solder + gold deposition process cost about 5 usd per die. So they're using about 10USD to guarantee good cooling and structural integrity on CPUs that cost several hundred dollars. I think they'll be fine... if only intel cared that much about their customers

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

23 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I think what they mean by 'they don't have working transistors' is that they're nonfunctional, not that they're blank.

I can't imagine that they would avoid using failed chips, since spacers on something like this is the perfect way to actually use nonfunctional parts, but at the same time I can't imagine they're only using failed Ryzen dies if their yields are good. So I'd guess they're both using failed dies and some sort of dummies, but that also seems convoluted...

Really, what I'd love for AMD to clear up, is exactly how they sort out and differentiate their dies.

The post says "no transistors", not broken. They are most likely blank wafers. 

Considering the yields, i doubt amd even has many chips  that cannot be salvaged as r3 parts... 

It's possible those are just old or failed wafers. As process nodes shrink, wafer purity needs to increase, and so does cost. 

An old wafer designed for an old process would provide the same functionality in this case. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Terodius said:

I remember reading on an analysis of the shitty Intel TIM material that the indium solder + gold deposition process cost about 5 usd per die. So they're using about 10USD to guarantee good cooling and structural integrity on CPUs that cost several hundred dollars. I think they'll be fine... if only intel cared that much about their customers

More like a couple cents to a dollar of gold per die tbh. It only needs to be there for good contact. It's likely to be an extremely thin sheet

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

36 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

More like a couple cents to a dollar of gold per die tbh. It only needs to be there for good contact. It's likely to be an extremely thin sheet

it's mostly the indium and the process of gold vapor deposition that costs money. the gold itself yeah it's likely to be cents.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

so which two dies is it? 

It's like a roulette with your CPU...

"hmmm which two can I chop off and it keep working"

LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

But why does there even have to be silicon under there?!?

For the indium to stick to and because der8auer removed some of the indium, it was silicon. 

Yours faithfully

5 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

An old wafer designed for an old process would provide the same functionality in this case. 

It would be hilarious if just for shits and giggles AMD released a limited edition run that used failed Intel wafers for the blank Threadripper dies.

55 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

It would be hilarious if just for shits and giggles AMD released a limited edition run that used failed Intel wafers for the blank Threadripper dies.

With the 'Intel Inside' sticker on the box.

So.... could AMD potentially replace these blanks with working silicon in a refresh later on then? Or would that be too much for this particular platform?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

7 minutes ago, Valermos said:

So.... could AMD potentially replace these blanks with working silicon in a refresh later on then? Or would that be too much for this particular platform?

well x399 only has quad channel memory for the ram balance would be broken, so to me it sound like a bad decision.

11 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

well x399 only has quad channel memory for the ram balance would be broken, so to me it sound like a bad decision.

so with that theory ...would their be a massive performance hit for running dual channel ram in a TR rig ?

11 hours ago, Valermos said:

Hmm maybe a CPU w/ GPUs on package A20-9870x APU :))

12 hours ago, Valermos said:

VRMs would probably die trying to power 4 Zeppelin dies at once. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

32 minutes ago, Loot said:

Hmm maybe a CPU w/ GPUs on package A20-9870x APU :))

With the following statement

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

VRMs would probably die trying to power 4 Zeppelin dies at once. 

I'd feel like an X399 APU would murder the system when you plug it into the wall.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Loot said:

so with that theory ...would their be a massive performance hit for running dual channel ram in a TR rig ?

IDK but I would think AMD would want to avoid it to not have people complain about it having inconsistent ram preformance.

In that setup half of the cores will not have direct access to ram so it would have to go through the infinity fabric.

5 hours ago, Loot said:

That's a good question.  Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a little bit longer to find out for sure.

Personally, I don't think it would be a massive hit, but likely noticeable.